Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward (/Thread-Cedric-Ogbuehi-took-a-step-forward)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Essex Johnson - 08-12-2017

After putting on my ex coaching glasses , I attempted to evaluate Cedric from the 1st half taping the game without the added advantage of a coaching session, play and line calls that you would have at your disposal in a real coaching setting.. So here it goes

I looked Run blocking, Pass Blocking and Other Areas and gave a Overall Grade and Evaluation

RUN BLOCKING
This was the strongest area of his game last nite.. he had nice push on a few blocks, seemed to know his assignment, he one bad block but that is going to happen in a game.. Overall Solid job

PASS BLOCKING
He was good on first contact, was good on movement off the ball and decent on pushing upfield on pass protection.. Where he was weak was not continue his block and continue his feet movement but he did not allow a sack and linemen also know the play call so they will adjust their blocking to that.. for example if he knows it is a quick pass read.. a tackle does not want to get beat inside so he will be content on pushing the Dline outside and may give some space upfield knowing the pass will be gone rather than be beat on a inside move that could put the rusher in line of sight of QB or Pass, that is why just trying to make evaluations from TV is much harder .

OTHER AREAS:
Penalties/Assignments: From what i could tell his assignments were solid, he seemed to know the play, who to block etc zero penalties

Hustle; Area of improvement for sure.. needs to stay with plays better downfield and play to the whistle

OVERALL GRADE: C TO C+- Good overall in run game, Great in zero penalties, assignments look good, good off the snap, lacking though in continuation of blocks and playing to the whistle.

The big reason he really took a step forward is look where this guy was at end of last year.. ZERO CONFIDENCE... the mental game is so important in football and more than some of you know with lineman... they almost never have a play off.. and this was his first chance for real live action football ( not practice, ligh scrimmages, line drills etc) since the ending of his terrible season last year.

For him to come away with zero sacks, zero penalties, and a few very positive plays on film is such a great start to building his mental game... Munoz has said it a couple times.. he has the skills, he has to find the mental game to release those skills and last night he took a step forward on that.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - muskiesfan - 08-12-2017

I hope the kid becomes a solid LT. I want him to be good. I'm just not going to hold my breath.

It was a preseason game, so I'm not going to say he turned a corner or is improved. Once we hit the regular season, we'll see what he's got. If he improves and plays well, I'll have no problem saying I was wrong about him. However, I think there's a better chance that his play will look like last season and not last night.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - jeremydc - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After putting on my ex coaching glasses , I attempted to evaluate Cedric from the 1st half taping the game without the added advantage of a coaching session, play and line calls that you would have at your disposal in a real coaching setting.. So here it goes

I looked Run blocking, Pass Blocking and Other Areas and gave a Overall Grade and Evaluation

RUN BLOCKING
This was the strongest area of his game last nite.. he had nice push on a few blocks, seemed to know his assignment, he one bad block but that is going to happen in a game.. Overall Solid job

PASS BLOCKING
He was good on first contact, was good on movement off the ball and decent on pushing upfield on pass protection.. Where he was weak was not continue his block and continue his feet movement but he did not allow a sack and linemen also know the play call so they will adjust their blocking to that.. for example if he knows it is a quick pass read.. a tackle does not want to get beat inside so he will be content on pushing the Dline outside and may give some space upfield knowing the pass will be gone rather than be beat on a inside move that could put the rusher in line of sight of QB or Pass, that is why just trying to make evaluations from TV is much harder .

OTHER AREAS:
Penalties/Assignments:   From what i could tell his assignments were solid, he seemed to know the play, who to block etc zero penalties

Hustle;  Area of improvement for sure.. needs to stay with plays better downfield and play to the whistle

OVERALL GRADE:  C TO C+-  Good overall in run game, Great in zero penalties, assignments look good, good off the snap, lacking though in continuation of blocks and playing to the whistle.  

The big reason he really took a step forward is look where this guy was at end of last year.. ZERO CONFIDENCE... the mental game is so important in football and more than some of you know with lineman... they almost never have a play off.. and this was his first chance for real live action football ( not practice, ligh scrimmages, line drills etc) since the ending of his terrible season last year.

For him to come away with zero sacks, zero penalties, and a few very positive plays on film is such a great start to building his mental game... Munoz has said it a couple times.. he has the skills, he has to find the mental game to release those skills and last night he took a step forward on that.

Take away the whiffed block, and he had a decent game. His feet movement was crap though. Watching TJ Watt makes me nervous. Add in Garnette as well. Ouch. 

Glad he has Lawson to compete against in practice.  If he can improve and hold his own, we may not have to worry as much. 

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - BenZoo2 - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After putting on my ex coaching glasses , I attempted to evaluate Cedric from the 1st half taping the game without the added advantage of a coaching session, play and line calls that you would have at your disposal in a real coaching setting.. So here it goes

RUN BLOCKING

PASS BLOCKING

OTHER AREAS:
Penalties/Assignments:   From what i could tell his assignments were solid, he seemed to know the play, who to block etc zero penalties

Hustle;  Area of improvement for sure.. needs to stay with plays better downfield and play to the whistle

OVERALL GRADE:  C TO C+-  Good overall in run game, Great in zero penalties, assignments look good, good off the snap, lacking though in continuation of blocks and playing to the whistle.  

Nice assessment.  Spot on IMHO.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Essex Johnson - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:15 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Take away the whiffed block, and he had a decent game. His feet movement was crap though. Watching TJ Watt makes me nervous. Add in Garnette as well. Ouch. 

Glad he has Lawson to compete against in practice.  If he can improve and hold his own, we may not have to worry as much. 

I have to disagree, his first off the ball movement was good last night.. the area of weakness is his 2nd/3rd steps and keeping engaged.. if you noticed though last year his leverage of his body was bad.. his weight was out of alignment.. not centered over his knees etc.. last night his weight distribution was improved from last year... he was never totally bull rushed into the QB like last year

(08-12-2017, 11:10 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I hope the kid becomes a solid LT. I want him to be good. I'm just not going to hold my breath.

It was a preseason game, so I'm not going to say he turned a corner or is improved. Once we hit the regular season, we'll see what he's got. If he improves and plays well, I'll have no problem saying I was wrong about him. However, I think there's a better chance that his play will look like last season and not last night.

Last night was preseason for Marvin, the given starters etc.. it was not preseason for players like Cedric... and trust me lineman know preseason or not.. take a play off your QB, RB etc can just as well go down in a preseason game and it is on tape for coaches to see... 

I am evaluating his performance not by the type of game but his play in that game and what I have judged in his past performances.. with that said in my eyes he took a step forward especially in the mental game... 

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - jeremydc - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:40 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have to disagree, his first off the ball movement was good last night.. the area of weakness is his 2nd/3rd steps and keeping engaged.. if you noticed though last year his leverage of his body was bad.. his weight was out of alignment.. not centered over his knees etc.. last night his weight distribution was improved from last year... he was never totally bull rushed into the QB like last year

:andy:

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Millhouse - 08-12-2017

Well it obviously could have been a lot worse, so thats a good sign. But thats all it is and we really won't know for sure how much he has improved until he has to play 4 quarters against defenses using their full playbook. Not to mention blocking on pass plays where Andy needs to take 5-7 dropback steps. Just dont know yet tbh.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - RoyleRedlegs - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:40 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have to disagree, his first off the ball movement was good last night.. the area of weakness is his 2nd/3rd steps and keeping engaged.. if you noticed though last year his leverage of his body was bad.. his weight was out of alignment.. not centered over his knees etc.. last night his weight distribution was improved from last year... he was never totally bull rushed into the QB like last year

Because they never asked him to block long enough. And Noah Spence isn't going to bull rush a lot of guys. 
Everything was short quick passes, half the time the QB rarely got depth in the pocket. 

He still opens his hips and shoots his hands wide. 
Unless that changes, he will still be bad in pass pro and be a bad LT. 

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Socal Bengals fan - 08-12-2017

We have no idea yet. All pass plays were 3 step drops at most. N he only played a quarter or so , so not giving up a sack in the game doesn't mean a whole lot. I just wish he changes to a more aggressive playing style.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Shake n Blake - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 12:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because they never asked him to block long enough. And Noah Spence isn't going to bull rush a lot of guys. 
Everything was short quick passes, half the time the QB rarely got depth in the pocket. 

Agreed. Last night was all quick throws. With Ross and Malone added this off-season, I imagine we're going to see more deep stuff, and we'll certainly see more intermediate throws as well. That's when this line will truly be tested.

And btw...Good to see ya bud. ThumbsUp

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Beaker - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 11:15 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Take away the whiffed block, and he had a decent game.  If he can improve and hold his own, we may not have to worry as much. 

This is exactly where I stand. In fact, I used the exact words in Brad's thread. Let's just hope he keeps showing improvement during the preseason.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Lawless_1 - 08-12-2017

Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward

illegal man down field

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - grampahol - 08-12-2017

Well EJ, You know you're posting against a firestorm of people who for whatever reason thinks anyone not named Andrew Wittworth HAS to be horrible past, present and future. 
Personally I'm open to believing anyone can change for the better with the exception of people who never believe anyone else is capable of getting better. 
I think Ced will be just fine after he gets a full season of reps under his belt. 

(08-12-2017, 12:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because they never asked him to block long enough. And Noah Spence isn't going to bull rush a lot of guys. 

There were 2 to 3 passes that our QB had a nice pocket and could have maintained longer in the pocket if needed,.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - PV Bengal - 08-12-2017

(08-12-2017, 01:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is exactly where I stand. In fact, I used the exact words in Brad's thread. Let's just hope he keeps showing improvement during the preseason.

I just watched a recording of the game and I concur. 

Could Og have played better? Sure, but he could also have played much worse. Let's not forget that is the FIRST preseason game. 

I'm gonna hold off on anything till after the 1st half of the 4th preseason game. If OG and the O-line haven't improved by then, well ...

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - StLucieBengal - 08-13-2017

OL overall played well. It's encouraging and he is never going to be a physical beast but he can develop into one who can at least stalemate the bull rush then he will be ok .

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - rfaulk34 - 08-13-2017

I think his feet were a mixed bag. He def looked good off the snap a few times. Slid with good balance. A couple other times he lunged forward and the Defender went right around him. Once i saw him extend an arm to engage an outside defender then pass him off to take someone coming inside. He didn't really get good contact on either defender. A couple times the speed just beat him outside and i saw him way off balance the one (only time i remember, may have been more) time i saw a guy feign outside and go inside. 

On the screenish type pass play to Mixon on the left, it looked like he jumped out wide to force the defender to go inside. That didn't look real good, but it could be designed that way to keep the defender away from the pass, so i gave him a pass on that particular play. 

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - Brimey - 08-13-2017

One thing about our left tackle...when he blows a block...he REALLY blows a block. And then stands there and watches the carnage happening behind him. He performed slightly better than the ridiculously low expectations TBH......i wanted to see more out of him. Still very nervous.

RE: Cedric Ogbuehi took a step forward - treee - 08-13-2017

Just re-watched the game last night, only paying attention to Ced when the offense was on the field. He did fine. I'm not worried.