Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... (/Thread-We-start-4-guys-guys-that-would-be-backups)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - THE PISTONS - 08-20-2017

We start 4 guys that would be backups on most playoff teams on our offensive line. I would take all 5 of the Steelers offensive lineman over our guys.

While we won't give up 100 sacks in a season as that doesn't happen...I expect them to give up 45+ and allow numerous pressures. Pressures are just as bad as sacks at times.

Also, the run blocking just isn't there.

Even IF Ced, Fisher, and Bodine do improve a lot...they'll still be somewhere in the 10 worst in the league at their position...and that's with improvement.

Teams are going to scout their weaknesses and attack it heavily during the regular season.

Can a team win a Super Bowl with a bad offensive line?

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Beaker - 08-20-2017

The O line did a serviceable job last week. The chiefs threw in some new wrinkles and blitzes. Hopefully they will learn from that after watching tape and keep improving.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - TKUHL - 08-20-2017

The line is just bad period. Of course I hope they will improve but things like that just don't happen on this team. They damn sure don't happen with Piano man as the coach. I've been very critical of this team today but I will go with the flow and see who they trot out there next week and see how they perform in the "dress rehearsal" before I slam this line anymore. What the hell else am I gonna do. I will continue to watch this train wreck as usual.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - NATI BENGALS - 08-20-2017

They are not that bad. Watching this Chargers game made me feel better. They were to scared to even give Rivers any snaps

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - samhain - 08-21-2017

Some of them better figure it out quick. I think this season will be a throw away year b/c of the line. Even if they become capable, it will take a month or so for them to coalesce. They'll cost us games without a doubt.

Either way, we need a few of them to pan out. They don't sign good FAs and they can't draft an entire line in one offseason.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - StLucieBengal - 08-21-2017

This is why we are going to more spread sets. Quick releases and working in space l. To negate the rush and get us into winning scenarios for running the ball.

Andy won't be sitting back there chucking it deep this year.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - samhain - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 02:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why we are going to more spread sets.   Quick releases and working in space l.   To negate the rush and get us into winning scenarios for running the ball.  

Andy won't be sitting back there chucking it deep this year.

That's pretty shitty.  We have three players in Green, Eifert, and Ross that are on the team for the purpose of getting the deep ball.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - yellowxdiscipline - 08-21-2017

Why are we still starting Bodine?

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Socal Bengals fan - 08-21-2017

We got rid of our two best players Zeitler n Whit. How in the world were we going to get better or be better this year? Somone please explain this strategy

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Synric - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 02:23 AM)samhain Wrote: That's pretty shitty.  We have three players in Green, Eifert, and Ross that are on the team for the purpose of getting the deep ball.

Deep balls can also be fast releases.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - BengalD - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 03:04 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We got rid of our two best players Zeitler n Whit. How in the world were we going to get better or be better this year? Somone please explain this strategy

The strategy is - there is no strategy!

We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Bronxbengal - 08-21-2017

Queue the Piano Man and all his defenders......the lines problem is because of the Maestro. We are looking into the lost decade and Paul was part of that fiasco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - CJD - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 02:23 AM)samhain Wrote: That's pretty shitty.  We have three players in Green, Eifert, and Ross that are on the team for the purpose of getting the deep ball.

Green is not just a deep ball receiver. Neither is Eifert. Both can be thrown to deep, but their main skill sets rest all over the field.

And we don't know what Ross is yet, but his speed is just as deadly (if not more so) on quick screens and slants as it is on vertical routes.

Everyone loves the deep ball, but you don't need it to be an elite passing offense.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - Au165 - 08-21-2017

You can still get deep with bad lines, it happens every week in the NFL. You can use guys chipping, you can use play action, you can use waggles/boots, and realistically if you are doing enough short stuff you're going to slow down the rush by shear attrition and making them run to the ball. Everyone freaking out like we won't be able to get deep simply need to relax, they may not be good but it won't sink the season as long as the defense is good.....which is my bigger concern right now.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - TheUberHuber - 08-21-2017

(08-20-2017, 11:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: The O line did a serviceable job last week. The chiefs threw in some new wrinkles and blitzes. Hopefully they will learn from that after watching tape and keep improving.

Marvin.... is that you?

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - THE PISTONS - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 09:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can still get deep with bad lines, it happens every week in the NFL. You can use guys chipping, you can use play action, you can use waggles/boots, and realistically if you are doing enough short stuff you're going to slow down the rush by shear attrition and making them run to the ball. Everyone freaking out like we won't be able to get deep simply need to relax, they may not be good but it won't sink the season as long as the defense is good.....which is my bigger concern right now.

You can. And if we drop back 40 times...we won't get pressured 40 times. We might get pressured 10 and sacked 4. You basically need a QB who won't make mistakes under pressure.

The line not being able to run block is a big worry for me too.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - ochocincos - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 01:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can. And if we drop back 40 times...we won't get pressured 40 times. We might get pressured 10 and sacked 4. You basically need a QB who won't make mistakes under pressure.

I guess it's not good then that Dalton performs a lot worse when under pressure.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-andy-dalton-struggles-under-pressure

PFF Wrote:
  • Last season, Andy Dalton posted a passer rating of 91.8. This ranked 16th-best among all 30 quarterbacks with at least 300 pass attempts.
  • When under pressure, his passer rating fell to 57.1, which ranked seventh-worst.
  • When blitzed, he posted a passer rating of 76.2, which ranked fourth-worst.
I’m not sure this is just a one-year outlier either. Since he entered the league, Dalton ranks 14th-worst in passer rating when under pressure, among all 39 quarterbacks with at least 1,000 pass attempts over that stretch.

The Bengals offensive line was responsible for 28 of the sacks of Bengals QBs last season, which ranked third-most. Our data suggest Dalton was more to blame in this category than the offensive line. As a team, the Bengals surrendered only 181 pressures, which ranked sixth-fewest. Dalton was sacked on 22.7 percent of his pressured dropbacks last season, which ranked highest among all 30 qualifying quarterbacks.

(08-21-2017, 01:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can. And if we drop back 40 times...we won't get pressured 40 times. We might get pressured 10 and sacked 4. You basically need a QB who won't make mistakes under pressure.

Run blocking a lot of times is a "want" thing. Pass protection requires a lot more technique than Run Blocking so I have faith we will be able to run, especially with Mixon and Gio in the game.

RE: We start 4 guys guys that would be backups... - THE PISTONS - 08-21-2017

(08-21-2017, 02:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: Run blocking a lot of times is a "want" thing. Pass protection requires a lot more technique than Run Blocking so I have faith we will be able to run, especially with Mixon and Gio in the game.

We weren't able to run the past 2 years...and we had a better line overall.

(08-21-2017, 03:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We weren't able to run the past 2 years...and we had a better line overall.

We had a guy who didn't feel like running straight ahead and a guy who was injured. Good backs can make bad lines look better than they are. Look at what AP did all those years in Minnesota. I think Mixon could have had a really good year behind that line last year, and a good year behind this one.