Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold (/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-s-Return-Threshold)

Pages: 1 2 3

Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - bengalfan74 - 09-05-2017

Let's just pretend for a moment that MB is gonna hold ML accountable this season. Giant stretch I know ! But try and play along. What level do you feel he needs to achieve to get another contract ?

For the record I think anything less than a playoff win and it should be farewell.

Actually I feel he should have been gone several years ago but anyways.......

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - TheLeonardLeap - 09-05-2017

Lol, might as well pretend that Mike Brown is actually Batman.

Marvin is going to muddle through somewhere between a 7-9 and 9-7 season, miss the playoffs, and is going to be back for 2018 unless Marvin wants to retire.

This is Cincinnati, where we can't have nice things. Just constant steel-toed-boot-kicks to the nads. See Bryan Price returning to manage the 2018 Cincinnati Reds.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - bengalfan74 - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 10:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, might as well pretend that Mike Brown is actually Batman.

Marvin is going to muddle through somewhere between a 7-9 and 9-7 season, miss the playoffs, and is going to be back for 2018 unless Marvin wants to retire.

This is Cincinnati, where we can't have nice things. Just constant steel-toed-boot-kicks to the nads. See Bryan Price returning to manage the 2018 Cincinnati Reds.

That's really my biggest fear ! We'll tease along just enough for Mike to hit the continue button. We'll end up 8-8 or so and they'll be a laundry list of excuses - kicker, injuries, to many inexperienced players, didn't get a replacement LT soon enough, didn't play Mixon enough, blah blah, blah.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - Luvnit2 - 09-05-2017

My option is not on the board. I say the Bengals win their first playoff game. Then ML tells the fans and the MB to kiss his ass, then goes on to win a Super Bowl with another team. I just thought if we are pretending I would throw out my bold prediction. The Bengals then retreat back to 4 and 5 win teams for decades. Sometimes things are never appreciated until they are gone.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - TheLeonardLeap - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 10:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My option is not on the board. I say the Bengals win their first playoff game. Then ML tells the fans and the MB to kiss his ass, then goes on to win a Super Bowl with another team. I just thought if we are pretending I would throw out my bold prediction. The Bengals then retreat back to 4 and 5 win teams for decades. Sometimes things are never appreciated until they are gone.

Lol, right. All the SB-bound teams are just desperate for Marvin Lewis' 0-7 (1-8 in this scenario) playoff record. How'd that go for Jim Mora?

Where would he even go to win this SB?

I honestly think the Bengals were hiring Zimmer for 2013 or Hue for 2015, as their HC, away from a deep playoff run.

(09-05-2017, 10:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My option is not on the board. I say the Bengals win their first playoff game. Then ML tells the fans and the MB to kiss his ass, then goes on to win a Super Bowl with another team. I just thought if we are pretending I would throw out my bold prediction. The Bengals then retreat back to 4 and 5 win teams for decades. Sometimes things are never appreciated until they are gone.

There it is !!

The old if we move on from Lewis back to the 90's doom and gloom mantra. 

(09-05-2017, 11:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There it is !!

The old if we move on from Lewis back to the 90's doom and gloom mantra. 

There it is, no sense of humor! Just having fun discussing a topic that has been rehashed in a thousand ways over the years,

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - Bengalholic - 09-05-2017

You have to remember that Mike is the same guy that gave Shula an extension after going 8-24, tried to talk Coslet out of quitting after a 5-25 stretch, and re-signed Marvin himself after going 25-38 in the previous 4 seasons.

It doesn't seem like Mike's 'threshold' is very ambitious or demanding...given the history. I do think Katie will be a factor in making any coaching decision at this point, but then again, Marvin is her guy...so who knows. 

(09-05-2017, 11:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There it is, no sense of humor! Just having fun discussing a topic that has been rehashed in a thousand ways over the years,

Sorry I missed the ninja ?

BTW 3/4's of the topics on here have been rehashed a 1,000X

Let's start a pole on how long it will take for a bench Dalton thread to start next Sunday. Even though he's digging his facemask outta the mud every other play. Actually fingers crossed that doesn't happen

(09-05-2017, 11:21 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: You have to remember that Mike is the same guy that gave Shula an extension after going 8-24, tried to talk Coslet out of quitting after a 5-25 stretch, and re-signed Marvin himself after going 25-38 in the previous 4 seasons.

It doesn't seem like Mike's 'threshold' is very ambitious or demanding...given the history. I do think Katie will be a factor in making any coaching change at this point, but then again, Marvin is her guy...so who knows.

Actually I believe Marvin will be back with nearly any results. I don't know perhaps a 1-15 season getting beat by 35 points a game might do it ???

But it's something a little fun to discuss before we kick it off this year.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - HarleyDog - 09-05-2017

My expectations would be nothing short of a playoff win. However, I answered what I felt it would take MB to keep him around so I selected 9 wins - no playoff. I actually think a one game improved record over last year will keep him employed. Mike just needs something ridiculous to tell the fans like "he is showing improvement."

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - Hoofhearted - 09-05-2017

(09-05-2017, 11:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Actually I believe Marvin will be back with nearly any results. I don't know perhaps a 1-15 season getting beat by 35 points a game might do it ???

But it's something a little fun to discuss before we kick it off this year.

His ceiling is clearly just making the playoffs, with the floor hovering around 5 wins.

(09-05-2017, 11:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sorry I missed the ninja ?

BTW 3/4's of the topics on here have been rehashed a 1,000X

Let's start a pole on how long it will take for a bench Dalton thread to start next Sunday. Even though he's digging his facemask outta the mud every other play. Actually fingers crossed that doesn't happen

On a serious note, I think ML wins (maybe a playoff win is not enough) in 2017 or he is gone. Anything less than 9-7 hopefully MB and Katie say TY and time for all of us to move on.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - RoyleRedlegs - 09-05-2017

At this point, I think it would just have to implode for him to be gone.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - BMK - 09-05-2017

I'm taking a different approach. I think the no-extension this year was mutual, with the agreement that ML gets bumped upstairs if he doesn't land a head coach or defensive coordinator's job elsewhere.

RE: Marvin Lewis's Return Threshold - Pat5775 - 09-05-2017

Anything less than a playoff win, and he should be gone. If the team still can't get one measly playoff win, and he's still brought back... Then I may be forced to take an extended break from this team. 

I'll still be a fan and wear my Bengal gear with pride, but on Sunday's I'll probably find something better to do with my time. I'm sick of the failure. I'm sick of the flameouts... I'm sick of Marvin Lewis football. If, after 15 years, his team STILL fails when it counts, there is no reason he should be brought back. None.

(09-05-2017, 12:27 PM)BMK Wrote: I'm taking a different approach. I think the no-extension this year was mutual, with the agreement that ML gets bumped upstairs if he doesn't land a head coach or defensive coordinator's job elsewhere.

No extension being mutual ? could be

I'd say there's zero chance ML lands a HC job elsewhere. I wouldn't totally rule out a DC job but I'm not real sure the outside interest would even be that high there ?

Moving upstairs with some made up title is a possibility though. Director of Operations or whatever.

(09-05-2017, 12:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No extension being mutual ? could be

I'd say there's zero chance ML lands a HC job elsewhere. I wouldn't totally rule out a DC job but I'm not real sure the outside interest would even be that high there ?

Moving upstairs with some made up title is a possibility though. Director of Operations or whatever.

I know you hate the guy, but man ever heard of the blind squirrel finding an acorn?

I think ML could be hired by another team, I look around and see many head coaches ML is better than in my opinion. I think Ml will choose not to coach again and land in our FO.

(09-05-2017, 12:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Anything less than a playoff win, and he should be gone. If the team still can't get one measly playoff win, and he's still brought back... Then I may be forced to take an extended break from this team. 

I'll still be a fan and wear my Bengal gear with pride, but on Sunday's I'll probably find something better to do with my time. I'm sick of the failure. I'm sick of the flameouts... I'm sick of Marvin Lewis football. If, after 15 years, his team STILL fails when it counts, there is no reason he should be brought back. None.

Absolutely agree,

Anything less than a playoff win he should be done. I'm not really even sure that's enough ?

(09-05-2017, 12:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know you hate the guy, but man ever heard of the blind squirrel finding an acorn?

I think ML could be hired by another team, I look around and see many head coaches ML is better than in my opinion. I think Ml will choose not to coach again and land in our FO.

Oh no ! I don't "HATE" Marvin at all. In fact I really like the guy in many ways, it's kinda odd really.

I think Marvin is a really good guy, and I'll always be thankful to him for helping bring this team back from the abyss. However I also feel it's very painfully obvious he's not the guy who can get us thru the next steps.