Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: When is it ok to hate Burfict? (/Thread-When-is-it-ok-to-hate-Burfict)

Pages: 1 2

When is it ok to hate Burfict? - GreenCornBengal - 12-05-2017

This entire Steelers vs Bengals rivalry, and Burfict in particular, is really one of the most fascinating sociological situations I have ever seen. As I read all the comments on social media and heard from different people in my family and at my workplace, it became clear to me that player safety, while being the focal point of this entire discussion, is really the last thing anyone cares about. I had people go out of their way to find me at work to tell me "Burfict got what he deserved, I hate that guy"...

I started compiling a list in my head of the teams' fans who IMO have the right to hate Burfict.
  • Steelers, they have every right to hate the guy. He inadvertently ended Bell's season and purposely leveled AB in the playoffs. It makes sense for them to hate Burfict
  • Panthers, Burfict did these guys wrong, I can understand the hate for Burfict
  • Packers, Remember the ball taps? We all do, and that is why I am OK with them hating the guy
  • Ravens/Browns, I expect them to hate him, he is a good divisional player
But after those teams, I can't really think of any other teams he has wronged... The Chiefs maybe... for preseason? I doubt it...

Yet here I am at work, where a San Francisco fan and a Bears fan tell me Burfict "finally got what was coming to him" in two separate conversations... what?

Back to the original issue... people dislike the guy for his tendency to put other players in harm.. so he deserves it right back? It's the same logic that murderers need murdering and rapists need raping. An eye for an eye! The player safety issue isn't about player safety at all.

At the end of the day, Fans complain when it effects THEM. They only care when THEIR team's player get hurt. Any other team's guy getting smashed is a laughable matter (unless he is on their fantasy team ala Vontaze taking Bell out inadvertently)

The best part is, shoving the Vontaze Villain story down every NFL fans throat over and over, alongside the fact that most fans have probably never seen ANY Bengals game other than a Steelers/Bengals matchup, makes the narrative stick even harder.

I'd recommend realizing that the average NFL fan has a completely propagandized view of the Cincinnati Bengals before getting too upset over social media and peoples opinions on the matter.

There is nothing we can personally do about it. 

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - THE PISTONS - 12-05-2017

When you haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years...and you have an owner often who makes the list of worst owners in professional sports...you're not going to get too much positive media attention.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - RASCAL - 12-05-2017

(12-05-2017, 10:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This entire Steelers vs Bengals rivalry, and Burfict in particular, is really one of the most fascinating sociological situations I have ever seen. As I read all the comments on social media and heard from different people in my family and at my workplace, it became clear to me that player safety, while being the focal point of this entire discussion, is really the last thing anyone cares about. I had people go out of their way to find me at work to tell me "Burfict got what he deserved, I hate that guy"...

I started compiling a list in my head of the teams' fans who IMO have the right to hate Burfict.
  • Steelers, they have every right to hate the guy. He inadvertently ended Bell's season and purposely leveled AB in the playoffs. It makes sense for them to hate Burfict
  • Packers, Remember the ball taps? We all do, and that is why I am OK with them hating the guy
But after those teams, I can't really think of any other teams he has wronged... The Chiefs maybe... for preseason? I doubt it...

Yet here I am at work, where a San Francisco fan and a Bears fan tell me Burfict "finally got what was coming to him" in two separate conversations... what?

Back to the original issue... people dislike the guy for his tendency to put other players in harm.. so he deserves it right back? It's the same logic that murderers need murdering and rapists need raping. An eye for an eye! The player safety issue isn't about player safety at all.

At the end of the day, Fans complain when it effects THEM. They only care when THEIR team's player get hurt. Any other team's guy getting smashed is a laughable matter (unless he is on their fantasy team ala Vontaze taking Bell out inadvertently)

The best part is, shoving the Vontaze Villain story down every NFL fans throat over and over, alongside the fact that most fans have probably never seen ANY Bengals game other than a Steelers/Bengals matchup, makes the narrative stick even harder.

I'd recommend realizing that the average NFL fan has a completely propagandized view of the Cincinnati Bengals before getting too upset over social media and peoples opinions on the matter.

I'm glad they hate him! Burfict lays the wood! While reading your part about friends coming and saying that he deserves it, I found myself thinking the same thing about shazier! 

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - jason - 12-05-2017

We've all got it comin' for some reason or other...

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Interceptor - 12-05-2017

Burfict is hated by every other team because he is not on their payroll.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - hollodero - 12-05-2017

(12-05-2017, 10:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: But after those teams, I can't really think of any other teams he has wronged... The Chiefs maybe... for preseason? I doubt it...
To be fair, I came to hate Suh and as far as I know he never wronged the Bengals. I largely agree with the rest you said. I would not be in favor of cheap shots against Suh either. Nor am I in favor of cheap shots against anyone.
& to all that say something like Shazier deserved it... not cool.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - GreenCornBengal - 12-06-2017

(12-05-2017, 11:55 PM)hollodero Wrote: To be fair, I came to hate Suh and as far as I know he never wronged the Bengals. I largely agree with the rest you said. I would not be in favor of cheap shots against Suh either. Nor am I in favor of cheap shots against anyone.
& to all that say something like Shazier deserved it... not cool.

Suh is a good comparison, and like you, if Suh was cheapshotted, I don't think I would be thinking he deserved it.

I think the timing aspect is interesting as well. It's amazing to me that the Steelers can claim 'Karma' for something that happened back 2 postseasons ago. If JuJu had taken out Burfict in the same game that Burfict destroyed AB, I would maybe understand the 'deserved it' claim.... but 2 years later, after playing generally clean vs the Steelers in recent matchups??

Another thing I want to point out for someone to fact check me on... Has Burfict really ever intentionally hurt anyone other than AB? Much of Burficts fouls are on eye pokes, ball taps and hand stepping... which I think isn't nearly as bad as headshotting... I can really only remember him maliciously hitting AB, but I may have blinders on... not sure... Feel the Bengals in general get a lot of calls where they weren't really targeting at all.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - hollodero - 12-06-2017

GreenCornBengal Wrote:Suh is a good comparison, and like you, if Suh was cheapshotted, I don't think I would be thinking he deserved it.

Yeah, first I wouldn't cheer it, like good that it happened, he deserved it. I could be sadder for some players then for others of course, and some things might even be more understandable then others. But as soon as people come out in favor of a cheap shot and celebrate it + possible injuries resulting, there's where they lose me.

GreenCornBengal Wrote:I think the timing aspect is interesting as well. It's amazing to me that the Steelers can claim 'Karma' for something that happened back 2 postseasons ago.

No, they can't claim it. Karma hasn't materialized itself in the form of a classless player. It was Juju, not fate. That's just ridiculous.

GreenCornBengal Wrote:Another thing I want to point out for someone to fact check me on... Has Burfict really ever intentionally hurt anyone other than AB? Much of Burficts fouls are on eye pokes, ball taps and hand stepping... which I think isn't nearly as bad as headshotting... I can really only remember him maliciously hitting AB, but I may have blinders on... not sure... Feel the Bengals in general get a lot of calls where they weren't really targeting at all.

Nah, Burfict pretty much deserves a bad image. One could argue about the extent, but overall he's not an innnocent man. I don't feel like factchecking that out, someone else sure will be so kind.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Synric - 12-06-2017

Burfict might be dirty but I bet there's 31 teams that are thinking "I wish we had taken him in the 7th round...."

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Shake n Blake - 12-06-2017

I can honestly say that I never bought into the Suh narrative either. There was a small handful of incidents with him, and I know for a fact that players were provoking him and taking advantage of his image. Same goes with Burfict. The NFL does a good job of making these guys poster boys for dirty play, but the truth is that it's a dirty league. The NFL would have people believe the problem is with a very small handful of players. It's not.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-06-2017

You love him if you have him, hate him if you don’t. Simple as that.

I’m fine with people vilifying him (he’s earned most it), just not unfair scrutiny from the officials. I wanted a Ray Lewis type player on the Bengals for years, and we finally got one.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Millhouse - 12-06-2017

I like Burfict when he plays clean. And I hope he gets better and doesnt have any more concussions.

But in all honesty, I would be perfectly fine if he doesnt come back as a Bengal next year. Even if it means a step back at his spot for awhile. I know many will disagree with that, and I get why. But at this point, Bengals need some massive changes, and I think he should be one of those.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - The Caped Crusader - 12-06-2017

He had some great plays last night. Definitely feels like he was targeted. It is what it is. He won't outrun his villain montra anymore than we will our terrible team one.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - t3r3e3 - 12-06-2017

(12-05-2017, 10:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This entire Steelers vs Bengals rivalry, and Burfict in particular, is really one of the most fascinating sociological situations I have ever seen. As I read all the comments on social media and heard from different people in my family and at my workplace, it became clear to me that player safety, while being the focal point of this entire discussion, is really the last thing anyone cares about. I had people go out of their way to find me at work to tell me "Burfict got what he deserved, I hate that guy"...

Let’s be honest here: Burfict did not destroy Antonio Brown in the Playoff game. He just happened to hit him in the head, but didn’t lay him out. Reality is Burfict could’ve ended his career on that play if he would’ve squared him up instead of grazed him. Brown would’ve been Darryl Stingely 2.0.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Murdock2420 - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 04:11 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Let’s be honest here:  Burfict did not destroy Antonio Brown in the Playoff game.  He just happened to hit him in the head, but didn’t lay him out.  Reality is Burfict could’ve ended his career on that play if he would’ve squared him up instead of grazed him.  Brown would’ve been Darryl Stingely 2.0.

Very true. If he wanted to end Brown's career, he had the chance and didn't take it. Had that been Mike Mitchell or Shazier aiming at A.J. Green, it would have been crown of the helmet into the neck and the end of A.J. Green. And the media would have called it good defense. 

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - WhoDeyandtheBlowFish - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 04:13 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Very true. If he wanted to end Brown's career, he had the chance and didn't take it. Had that been Mike Mitchell or Shazier aiming at A.J. Green, it would have been crown of the helmet into the neck and the end of A.J. Green. And the media would have called it good defense. 

Yeah it drives me nuts that people still say that was intentional/dirty.  He went low, AB went low, and he grazed his head and hit him mostly with his shoulder.  It was a penalty but wasn't intentional or dirty in any way IMO

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - XenoMorph - 12-06-2017

I think they Fear him more than Hate him and every one of the haters especially the steelers would love him on their team

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Wilikn - 12-07-2017

Doug Kezirian, ESPN National radio host (among other things) stated last night during his monologue that Vontaze Burfict deserved what happened to him. He applauded Smith Shuster. "Burfict just doesn't learn" (paraphrase) "Smith Shuster took matters into his own hands".

I wonder, does that mean that if someone crowns Smith Shuster next year on his chin, that too would be fine since he now "has it coming"? Probably not I bet.

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Hoofhearted - 12-07-2017

There's a huge difference between being a "murky" (?) sports figure vs a terrible human being. 

RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - BMK - 12-07-2017

(12-06-2017, 10:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think they Fear him more than Hate him and every one of the haters especially the steelers would love him on their team

Do you REALLY believe the steelers actually fear Burfict? This is the NFL....there's respect, lack of respect, there's hate, but fear? I don't believe most players in the NFL actually play in 'fear'. They never would have made it that far if they feared other players. Burfict was laid out by a freakin' rookie. Doesn't sound like fear to me.

Why would anyone  think the hit on Burfict wasn't at least partly payback for taking out Brown in the playoffs?  Shuster may not have been there, but I'm sure now being a steeler, he's WELL aware of it. Hell, in baseball, a pitcher is considered a coward if he doesn't throw at the head of a batter if the opposing pitcher hit one of his teammates. In hockey, if you take out an opponent with a cheap shot, sooner or later (sometimes many games later) you're going find yourself face down on the ice looking for your teeth.  Right or wrong, I think it's naive to think the same mentality doesn't exist in the NFL.  There's plenty of examples of bad blood between teams and players lasting several seasons.

Obviously, up til now, fines and suspensions have had little affect on Burfict. He's still stepping on players arms and hitting players well out of bounds. That kind of stuff doesn't instill 'fear' in opponents, just lack of respect. Though I hate to see it, maybe, just maybe, taking a helmet to the chin might get his attention.  It's a shame that he is, and has the potential to be a great LB in this league....but for now, he's only known throughout the league as a dirty player. It's also a shame that most other fans that only know of Burfict through Sportscenter and YouTube say he got what he deserved. He's really the only one that can change his image and the narrative.  James Harrison and Ray Lewis were able to do it, Burfict can too.