Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) (/Thread-Marvin-s-Press-Conf-1-3-18-live-updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - RagnarLothbrok - 01-03-2018

Per Marvin directly:

Paul Alexander is seeking different opportunities and will not be returning.

Special Teams Coach Darren Simmons will be returning with the team (upon rewatching I missed Marvin saying that he will possibly take on more duties than in the past).

OC Lazor is sitting next to Marv at the table.

update: live feed is down.

update: Marvin says that the team will be better at signing free agents. "we will get better at finding talent from outside clubs" is a rough quote. take it with a pinch of salt but he could have been holding out for more control over free agency.

update: coordinators will have a voice in filling the vacant position coaches.

update: regarding offensive line coach. Lazor says he is looking for a guy who has a hard work ethic and attitude, can teach, and can scout. Also the last part he said something about finding a guy who has proven he can doing it (in regards to the qualities that he listed).

update: reporter asks about waiting on Paulie G - cannot afford to wait. things will be happening quickly.

update: fan question "loosen up some money to get FA's" - marv denies that stigma. top 5 spender every season and only team that occasionally rent a practice bubble. prefer building through the draft but will pick pieces who are higher quality players and don't mind not having a practice bubble. (full disclosure: practice bubble part was a joke).

update: Lazor on players - been evaluating the backs and Oline and said there will likely be changes to players based on how valuable they are.

update: on finding a DC who is a fit to the current scheme or if they want to shake it up "lets not run paul out of town yet."

update: reporter brought up injuries and having to trust young players. Marv said he was happy with the play of Evans, Westman, Nickerson, Boyd, Mixon. Said they made the most of their opportunities are really impressed him.

the press conference has concluded.

updates based on what was cut out when the live feed died:

*fan question* regarding adding a clause to a players contract saying they can be fined for not being disciplined during a game: Marv pretty much told the guy to eff off because its not possible then proceeded to say that Bengals are one of the least penalized teams in the league. (sorry, I don't agree with that statement).

reporter says "you must have won some sort of power in the latest negotiations. Can you tell us what sort of power you gained?" and Marvin completely shot it down saying that he and the Browns feel he is the best man for the job and thats that.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - McC - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:22 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Per Marvin directly:

Special Teams Coach Darren Simmons will be returning with the team.

O, you bearer of glad tidings, you.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - hoosierbengal - 01-03-2018

I missed the presser. Is it posted anywhere?

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - Big Boss - 01-03-2018

RagnarLothbrok Wrote:update: Marvin says that the team will be better at signing free agents. "we will get better at finding talent from outside clubs" is a rough quote. take it with a pinch of salt but he could have been holding out for more control over free agency.

I'll believe that one when I see it, and I'll need a witness to confirm.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - masonbengals fan - 01-03-2018

Glad to see Simmons returning.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - ochocincos - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:22 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Per Marvin directly: Paul Alexander is seeking different opportunities and will not be returning.

update: Marvin says that the team will be better at signing free agents. "we will get better at finding talent from outside clubs" is a rough quote. take it with a pinch of salt but he could have been holding out for more control over free agency.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - pally - 01-03-2018

and Guenther will be welcomed back if his other options (Raiders) don't work out

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - Millhouse - 01-03-2018

Marvin also said that Mike Brown thinks about winning championships.

And then I am thinking if that is true, then why am I hearing it from Marvin Lewis as head coach going into his 16th season.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - RagnarLothbrok - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

don't shoot the messenger man. I'm just summarizing the press conference.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - pally - 01-03-2018

won't commit to keeping the 4-3 defense..this could be big

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - RagnarLothbrok - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:42 PM)pally Wrote: won't commit to keeping the 4-3 defense..this could be big

bingo. they said they wouldn't be waiting on Paul G. "Things are gonna happen fast." - Marvin.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 - ochocincos - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:41 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: don't shoot the messenger man. I'm just summarizing the press conference.

Was a response to Marvin to prove it, not you lol

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - RagnarLothbrok - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:40 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Marvin also said that Mike Brown thinks about winning championships.

And then I am thinking if that is true, then why am I hearing it from Marvin Lewis as head coach going into his 16th season.

Marv made a comment about how he thinks Jerry Jones is a good owner because he doesn't give up on Jason Garrett. He essentially said MB and JJ are good owners for not changing coaches after down seasons.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - Big Boss - 01-03-2018

Marvin: "We can't afford to wait for Paul. Things are moving fast."

*A few minutes later*

Marvin: "Let's not rush Paul out of town."

(01-03-2018, 04:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Marvin: "We can't afford to wait for Paul.  Things are moving fast."

*A few minutes later*

I was confused, too. I had to double check to make sure I didn't misunderstand what he said.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - Bengalpool - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:59 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Marv made a comment about how he thinks Jerry Jones is a good owner because he doesn't give up on Jason Garrett. He essentially said MB and JJ are good owners for not changing coaches after down seasons.

He's not necessarily wrong, but in his situation he's definitely not right lol. 7 playoff appearances and 0 wins? JJ would have run Garrett out of Dallas by the 3rd post season loss.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - Bengalpool - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 04:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Marvin: "We can't afford to wait for Paul.  Things are moving fast."

*A few minutes later*

Caught this too... I think he's just not counting out the possibility in case they decide PG is the best answer and he decides to come back. Right now they're making calls. No time to wait.

(01-03-2018, 04:05 PM)Takedown Wrote: He's not necessarily wrong, but in his situation he's definitely not right lol. 7 playoff appearances and 0 wins? JJ would have run Garrett out of Dallas by the 3rd post season loss.

I agree that you should not give up on a coach for a bad season or two... but I do draw the line at 7 playoff letdowns, always hanging my head after a prime-time game, and 2 seasons of losing.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - McC - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 04:06 PM)Takedown Wrote: Caught this too... I think he's just not counting out the possibility in case they decide PG is the best answer and he decides to come back. Right now they're making calls. No time to wait.

Does he even want to come back?  He sure wasted no time to run away.

RE: Marvin's Press Conf. 1/3/18 (live updates) - thillan - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 03:22 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Per Marvin directly:

update: regarding offensive line coach. Lazor says he is looking for a guy who has a hard work ethic and attitude, can teach, and can scout. Also the last part he said something about finding a guy who has proven he can doing it (in regards to the qualities that he listed).

update: reporter asks about waiting on Paulie G - cannot afford to wait. things will be happening quickly.

update: fan question "loosen up some money to get FA's" - marv denies that stigma. top 5 spender every season and only team that occasionally rent a practice bubble. prefer building through the draft but will pick pieces who are higher quality players and don't mind not having a practice bubble. (full disclosure: practice bubble part was a joke).

update: Lazor on players - been evaluating the backs and Oline and said there will likely be changes to players based on how valuable they are.

update: on finding a DC who is a fit to the current scheme "lets not run paul out of town yet."

update: reporter brought up injuries and having to trust young players. Marv said he was happy with the play of Evans, Westman, Nickerson, Boyd, Mixon. Said they made the most of their opportunities are really impressed him.

the press conference has concluded.

Most notable to me is that they finally mentioned becoming a player in FA. I'll believe it when I see it, but at least they acknowledged it. 

Also - I like that one of the questions was about trusting young players. Weird how Marv doesn't mention WJ3 in that list?

Man do I hope they put more effort in getting better FAs. That alone would help a LOT.