Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach (/Thread-Teryl-Austin-might-go-to-the-Raiders-as-DB-coach)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Lqhybrid25 - 01-08-2018

Man the Raiders must really hate us!

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/james-rapien/content/2018-01-08-report-bengals-could-lose-dc-choice-to-raiders/

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - McC - 01-08-2018

Why would a guy choose being a position coach over being a coordinator?

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - ochocincos - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 01:18 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Man the Raiders must really hate us!

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/james-rapien/content/2018-01-08-report-bengals-could-lose-dc-choice-to-raiders/

I'm getting the feeling we're going to see Kevin Coyle become the Bengals DC...

(01-08-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: Why would a guy choose being a position coach over being a coordinator?

Location/organization?

(01-08-2018, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Location/organization?

We are talking about the Raiders, one of the few organizations that could go toe to toe with the Bengals for being whacky.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Bengalpool - 01-08-2018

Oh darn... Maybe we'll get our chance to interview the Bears DC on Wednesday.

Hopefully it's not Coyle lol

(01-08-2018, 01:24 PM)McC Wrote: We are talking about the Raiders, one of the few organizations that could go toe to toe with the Bengals for being whacky.

I understand that, but that city and organization are still viewed in a more favorable light than Cincinnati and the Bengals, at least by most.

(01-08-2018, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that, but that city and organization are still viewed in a more favorable light than Cincinnati and the Bengals, at least by most.

You must be talking about Vegs cuz Oakland is a hell hole.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - spazz70 - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: Why would a guy choose being a position coach over being a coordinator?

Maybe the truth is out about our tight ass owner?  Maybe position coaches on other teams make what our DCs and OCs make?

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - bengals73 - 01-08-2018

Here's another story :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/bengals-negotiating-with-teryl-austin-about-coordinator-role/

The Lions interviewed Teryl Austin for their vacant head coaching position.

But if that doesn’t work out, he seems to have lined up a Plan B.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Bengals are negotiating with Teryl Austin to become their new defensive coordinator, and it appears a deal there is likely.

Austin’s a veteran of 10 head coaching interviews, with just the one this offseason after nine the previous three years. The 52-year-old would be replacing Paul Guenther in that job, and could possibly be positioned as a coach-in-waiting if the 16th and 17th years of the Marvin Lewis era don’t go as planned.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Bengalholic - 01-08-2018

So the Bengals are interested in and have interviewed Austin, who's now talking to the Raiders about a lesser position.

They're said to be interested in and have requested permission to talk to Fangio, but the Bears deny that ever happened.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Shake n Blake - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 01:24 PM)McC Wrote: We are talking about the Raiders, one of the few organizations that could go toe to toe with the Bengals for being whacky.

They're clearly on the upswing. They have a QB, they hired Jon Gruden, and they're moving to Vegas. Odds are, they're going to win, and they're going to do so in the spotlight. This means any other coaches on the team are likely to become HC's elsewhere or at the very least get PAID by the Raiders ala Gruden. Not to mention Vegas is a fun city and anyone on the Raiders is about to have the red carpet thrown out for them.

(01-08-2018, 01:32 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Maybe the truth is out about our tight ass owner?  Maybe position coaches on other teams make what our DCs and OCs make?

I seriously doubt that.  Four of Marvin's coordinators and one of his position coaches have become HC's, btw.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Shake n Blake - 01-08-2018

I'm happy about this. Fangio is the better candidate. Del Rio would be amazing, but haven't heard any rumors yet.

(01-08-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They're clearly on the upswing. They have a QB, they hired Jon Gruden, and they're moving to Vegas. Odds are, they're going to win, and they're going to do so in the spotlight. This means any other coaches on the team are likely to become HC's elsewhere or at the very least get PAID by the Raiders ala Gruden. Not to mention Vegas is a fun city and anyone on the Raiders is about to have the red carpet thrown out for them.

Gruden hasn't coached in, what, ten years?  Who knows how good he'll be?  Plus, how many of Marvin's coaches have become HC's?

(01-08-2018, 01:36 PM)McC Wrote: I seriously doubt that.  Four of Marvin's coordinators and one of his position coaches have become HC's, btw.

When the team was winning. We're not winning anymore.

(01-08-2018, 01:32 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Maybe the truth is out about our tight ass owner?  Maybe position coaches on other teams make what our DCs and OCs make?

I won't believe that until I see it in writing.

RE: Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They're clearly on the upswing. They have a QB, they hired Jon Gruden, and they're moving to Vegas. Odds are, they're going to win, and they're going to do so in the spotlight. This means any other coaches on the team are likely to become HC's elsewhere or at the very least get PAID by the Raiders ala Gruden. Not to mention Vegas is a fun city and anyone on the Raiders is about to have the red carpet thrown out for them.

Coach under Marvin Lewis.....Jon Gruden, Merv....Jon, Merv......Jon, Merv......Jon, Jon.....Jon.

[Image: original.jpg]

(01-08-2018, 01:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When the team was winning. We're not winning anymore.

Yes, so the proof is there.  We did win more games than the Raiders.  Just saying.

(01-08-2018, 01:38 PM)McC Wrote: Gruden hasn't coached in, what, ten years?  Who knows how good he'll be?  Plus, how many of Marvin's coaches have become HC's?

Like I said...they have a QB. That's the most important step. They have studs like Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. Ten years doesn't matter. Dick Vermeil came back and won a championship after a longer layoff. Does Gruden strike you as someone who hasn't kept up? 

And it's not just these things...there will be a ton of pressure to win early in Vegas. They're going to spend money and put EVERYTHING into making a winning team. Does Cincy ever do that? Plus KC is about to trade Alex Smith and likely fall to earth. Who is going to win that division for the next few years? They don't have a Pittsburgh in that division. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but I'd bet the house on Vegas fielding a very good team, being in the heavy spotlight (Cincy is the opposite of spotlight) and the coaches will have a lot of fun coaching in Vegas rather than bland ass Cincy.