Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night (/Thread-Hawk-to-start-at-SOLB-Friday-night)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - fredtoast - 08-13-2015

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-two-way-effort-/2f190007-1111-4db5-a301-1644a0282f9c

BACKERS: Here’s how they’ll start Friday. Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, WILL Vincent Rey and SAM A.J. Hawk. Emanuel Lamur, last year’s SAM, is playing the nickel.

I have been doubting Hawk, but I would be happy if he ends up being an upgrade for our LB corps.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - CJD - 08-13-2015

It would be very difficult to not be an upgrade over what Lamur gave us last year haha.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - magikod - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 11:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It would be very difficult to not be an upgrade over what Lamur gave us last year haha.

agreed lol

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - bengalfan74 - 08-13-2015

Anxious to see what Hawk's got left in the tank. Depending on how Burfict is Hawk may be asked to play a bunch of snaps.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - CornerBlitz - 08-13-2015

I was really high on Lamur prior to last season. What happened?

As far as Hawk, I don't have my hopes up. He's an old school LB in a modern NFL. Lacks athleticism and can't cover ground that is needed this day and age.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - 3wt - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-two-way-effort-/2f190007-1111-4db5-a301-1644a0282f9c

BACKERS: Here’s how they’ll start Friday. Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, WILL Vincent Rey and SAM A.J. Hawk. Emanuel Lamur, last year’s SAM, is playing the nickel.

I have been doubting Hawk, but I would be happy if he ends up being an upgrade for our LB corps.

Especially at SAM where I feel we are the weakest.  He sure was not inspiring at Green Bay.  Hopefully he stands out more in Cincinnati.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - fredtoast - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 12:52 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: As far as Hawk, I don't have my hopes up. He's an old school LB in a modern NFL. Lacks athleticism and can't cover ground that is needed this day and age.

You can never tell with these old vets.  People were saying that Terrance Newman had lost his speed and couldn't cover anyone when we signed him.

Then last year our coaches were saying Danieal Manning looked as good as he ever did in his career when we signed him.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - XenoMorph - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 12:52 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I was really high on Lamur prior to last season. What happened?

As far as Hawk, I don't have my hopes up. He's an old school LB in a modern NFL. Lacks athleticism and can't cover ground that is needed this day and age.

Well our SAM backer usually comes off the field in passing situations where we go to a dime or nickle. So its a good spot for him. Be interested to see if he fairs better than the last vet we plugged in there ..

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - bfine32 - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 12:52 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: As far as Hawk, I don't have my hopes up. He's an old school LB in a modern NFL. Lacks athleticism and can't cover ground that is needed this day and age.

Hawk is possibly the most athletic and best cover LB on the squad.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - RoyleRedlegs - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hawk is possibly the most athletic and best cover LB on the squad.

He's not a better athlete than Lamur at this point in his career. 
He might be better at coverage, but he isn't a better athlete. 

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - BURROWorBUST - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 01:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's not a better athlete than Lamur at this point in his career. 
He might be better at coverage, but he isn't a better athlete. 

He's a better football player. Better LB.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - spazz70 - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 01:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well our SAM backer usually comes off the field in passing situations where we go to a dime or nickle.  So its a good spot for him.  Be interested to see if he fairs better than the last vet we plugged in there ..

Sorta...R. Mauluga (MLB), comes off the field

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - CornerBlitz - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hawk is possibly the most athletic and best cover LB on the squad.

If that is the case then we have a major problem at the LB position. I still contend that Lamur is more athletic though....

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - J24 - 08-13-2015

Lamur wasn't built for SLB he is more of a coverage LB then a run stuffer. I think he will be  better suited being used as a nickel LB and people will be pleased by his play this season.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 02:07 PM)Shady Wrote: He's a better football player. Better LB.

You still in love with Rey Muaulaga?

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - Joelist - 08-13-2015

Hawk was and is a 4-3 LB and when he played in that system did well. Green Bay went 3-4 and he was not suited for that alignment. So here he is in a 4-3 again - let's see what happens. Remember, over the past few years we've made killings signing players orphaned by (usually ill advised) switches to 3-4.

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - M.W. - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 11:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It would be very difficult to not be an upgrade over what Lamur gave us last year haha.

I agree with you. AJ may be a bit long in the tooth but he is playing for his favorite team. I figure he will have a great season!

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - RoyleRedlegs - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 02:07 PM)Shady Wrote: He's a better football player. Better LB.

Never once suggested he wasn't. 

He's just not a better athlete. 

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - Shake n Blake - 08-13-2015

He's a white guy, so he must be slow and lumbering. But he's definitely a gritty lunch pail type. Ninja

Nevermind the combine numbers he put up. Dude is only 31. How much do people think he's slowed down?

RE: Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night - jakefromstatefarm - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 02:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hawk was and is a 4-3 LB and when he played in that system did well. Green Bay went 3-4 and he was not suited for that alignment. So here he is in a 4-3 again - let's see what happens. Remember, over the past few years we've made killings signing players orphaned by (usually ill advised) switches to 3-4.

Good post.