Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet (/Thread-Trump-struggles-with-the-basics-on-history-and-civics-in-DACA-tweet)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - BmorePat87 - 02-12-2018

Trump took to twitter this weekend to remind everyone why it's a bad idea to elect a reality tv star as President.

Let's start with the 1st thing: "the Dems had all three branches back in 2008-2011". Obviously we all know George W Bush was President in 2008, but most of us also know that the Democrats lost the House in 2011, so they only controlled TWO branches of government from 2009-2010.

Of course, we're left to assume that Trump is referring to the Senate and House as two separate branches (since no one controls the SCOTUS and ideologically it was 4-4-1 from Obama's inauguration to Scalia's death). This is a scary thing to read as a government teacher. This is unit 1 stuff. Or possibly he doesn't understand how the Supreme Court works, an equally scary reality.

Finally, DACA wasn't a thing until 2012, however there was the DREAM Act which Democrats pushed for years. It passed in the House in 2010 but Republicans in the Senate blocked it, so their concern for it isn't new founded and they did in fact try to add protections for these people when they controlled the White House and Congress in 2010.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - GMDino - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 10:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump took to twitter this weekend to remind everyone why it's a bad idea to elect a reality tv star as President.

Let's start with the 1st thing: "the Dems had all three branches back in 2008-2011". Obviously we all know George W Bush was President in 2008, but most of us also know that the Democrats lost the House in 2011, so they only controlled TWO branches of government from 2009-2010.

Of course, we're left to assume that Trump is referring to the Senate and House as two separate branches (since no one controls the SCOTUS and ideologically  it was 4-4-1 from Obama's inauguration to Scalia's death). This is a scary thing to read as a government teacher. This is unit 1 stuff. Or possibly he doesn't understand how the Supreme Court works, an equally scary reality.

Finally, DACA wasn't a thing until 2012, however there was the DREAM Act which Democrats pushed for years. It passed in the House in 2010 but Republicans in the Senate blocked it, so their concern for it isn't new founded and they did in fact try to add protections for these people when they controlled the  White House and Congress in 2010.

He doesn't care and his fans do not care.

They just believe whatever he says.  And I think *HE* believes whatever he says.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - fredtoast - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: He doesn't care and his fans do not care.

They just believe whatever he says.  And I think *HE* believes whatever he says.

"He may not always tell the truth but at least he isn't a phony like all those career politicians."

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - bfine32 - 02-12-2018

All that to say the Dems did nothing to resolve illegal immigration when they control the Legislative and Executive Branches; which I'm pretty sure most realized was his point. But it's helpful if we can deflect from that fact and blame Trump for it.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - BmorePat87 - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 04:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All that to say the Dems did nothing to resolve illegal immigration when they control the Legislative and Executive Branches; which I'm pretty sure most realized was his point. But it's helpful if we can deflect from that fact and blame Trump for it.

Passing the Dream Act in the House and trying to get past a Republican filibuster in the Senate is "did nothing"? LOL, "blame Trump". 

You're just getting lazy.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - treee - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 04:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All that to say the Dems did nothing to resolve illegal immigration when they control the Legislative and Executive Branches; which I'm pretty sure most realized was his point. But it's helpful if we can deflect from that fact and blame Trump for it.

The only thing Trump is being blamed for here is: a lack of the most basic civic knowledge, the inability to think before he speaks, or the inability to proofread something that has a very small number of words.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - NATI BENGALS - 02-12-2018

How dare you guys point out factual errors and blame the person who made the errors for the errors.

Crazy ass libtard way i guess

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - GMDino - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How dare you guys point out factual errors and blame the person who made the errors for the errors.

Crazy ass libtard way i guess

Well we can't point out his mistakes.

We can't talk about what he says.

We aren't supposed to mention his tweets.

We shouldn't talk about his appearance.

We ARE allowed to talk about what he does...but only in the context of if he said he would do it or not.

Do not criticize the Trump!

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - fredtoast - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Passing the Dream Act in the House and trying to get past a Republican filibuster in the Senate is "did nothing"? LOL, "blame Trump". 

You're just getting lazy.

Rep.

Blaming the Obama administration for a GOP filibuster.

Life in the echo chamber.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - Nately120 - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Do not criticize the Trump!

The only people who are allowed to criticize President Trump are the ones who were critical of him BEFORE he became president...which would probably be everyone, including people who support him now.

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - bfine32 - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Passing the Dream Act in the House and trying to get past a Republican filibuster in the Senate is "did nothing"?

uuuuhhhhmmmm..............yeah. Was that a trick question?

BmorePat87 Wrote:You're just getting lazy.

Nah, not getting lazy, just getting tired.  

(02-12-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Blaming the Obama administration for a GOP filibuster.

Life in the echo chamber.

I get that echo chamber is a phrase you like to just assign to folks; as that is how liberals debate, but it's really not the case. Nancy Pelosi just had the longest individual filibuster in the history of congress; yet the budget passed. How did that happen?  

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - Belsnickel - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 09:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get that echo chamber is a phrase you like to just assign to folks; as that is how liberals debate, but it's really not the case. Nancy Pelosi just had the longest individual filibuster in the history of congress; yet the budget passed. How did that happen?  

Because that wasn't a filibuster. Pelosi spoke for over 7 hours, but she couldn't pass the torch on to someone else. The filibuster rule allows for multiple Senators to work together for continued debate, preventing a vote on a bill. The House doesn't allow for that. Pelosi was only allowed to do what she did because it is a tradition to allow the party leaders to speak, but it is limited only by how long they can go. They also aren't going to be allowed to read the phone book, as you can find happening in the Senate. Also, the Speaker could have shut Pelosi down at any point without any vote needing to be taken.

So the Pelosi line is a false equivalency.

(02-12-2018, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The only people who are allowed to criticize President Trump are the ones who were critical of him BEFORE he became president...which would probably be everyone, including people who support him now.
Absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of POTUS; as long as the intent is constructive, as I have done numerous times. However, the OP, and the usual subjects, falls on the side of petty.

"He said 3 branches of government when he was actually referring the House, Senate, and Presidency'...."

"He said 2008, the year Obama was elected; instead of 2009 when he took office..."

"He used the term DACA to describe individual that met the criteria before it was actually a phrase...."

Obviously those trivial things are much more important than the point of when Dems owed Congress and the White House they got nothing done with illegal immigration. 

(02-12-2018, 09:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Because that wasn't a filibuster. Pelosi spoke for over 7 hours, but she couldn't pass the torch on to someone else. The filibuster rule allows for multiple Senators to work together for continued debate, preventing a vote on a bill. The House doesn't allow for that. Pelosi was only allowed to do what she did because it is a tradition to allow the party leaders to speak, but it is limited only by how long they can go. They also aren't going to be allowed to read the phone book, as you can find happening in the Senate. Also, the Speaker could have shut Pelosi down at any point without any vote needing to be taken.

So the Pelosi line is a false equivalency.

Once again we look for the term instead of the intent (you did see I used the term individual before the word). We can discuss the term all day long; however, the intent remains unchanged. She attempted to delay a vote by speaking at length (call it what you will); however, the budget was passed despite this tactic. 

Most folks looking not to place blame understand why. It's called a compromise. Perhaps the Dems didn't care enough to give give up something else. 

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - Belsnickel - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 09:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once again we look for the term instead of the intent (you did see I used the term individual before the word). We can discuss the term all day long; however, the intent remains unchanged. She attempted to delay a vote by speaking at length (call it what you will); however, the budget was passed despite this tactic. 

Most folks looking not to place blame understand why. It's called a compromise. Perhaps the Dems didn't care enough to give give up something else. 

I really wasn't in here to say anything about Trump's tweet or the blame game. I posted about it in the joke thread because I don't consider it to be something to really get into too much of a discussion about. I was just hoping to clarify something that created your false equivalency. However, since you seem to have ignored the actual information in my post I see it was for nought.

(02-12-2018, 09:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I really wasn't in here to say anything about Trump's tweet or the blame game. I posted about it in the joke thread because I don't consider it to be something to really get into too much of a discussion about. I was just hoping to clarify something that created your false equivalency. However, since you seem to have ignored the actual information in my post I see it was for nought.

It seems I misread your intentions; as I thought your intent was to show the two situations were not similar by using a semantical argument. I see now, your intention was just to inform. So it wasn't for "nought". 

RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - BmorePat87 - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems I misread your intentions; as I thought your intent was to show the two situations were not similar by using a semantical argument. I see now, your intention was just to inform. So it wasn't for "nought". 

It's not a semantical argument. The two houses operate differently.

The House banned filibusters over a century ago. Pelosi spoke that long because Republicans allowed her to as minority leader. At the end of the day, a vote was going to occur in which they only need a simple majority to pass whether Nancy wanted it to happen or not. 

The Senate has actual filibusters that cannot be stopped unless there's a cloture vote. You need 60 votes in order to force that. Democrats didn't have that in 2010 when they passed the DREAM act in the House and tried to bring it for a vote in the Senate.

Likewise, Republicans have had issue with getting legislation passed as they do not have a 60 vote majority. It would be intellectually dishonest to suggest they have done nothing to get immigration legislation passed or that they did nothing to get a budget passed before the shutdown simply because they couldn't force a cloture vote. 

(02-12-2018, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of POTUS; as long as the intent is constructive, as I have done numerous times. However, the OP, and the usual subjects, falls on the side of petty.

"He said 3 branches of government when he was actually referring the House, Senate, and Presidency'...."

"He said 2008, the year Obama was elected; instead of 2009 when he took office..."

"He used the term DACA to describe individual that met the criteria before it was actually a phrase...."

Obviously those trivial things are much more important than the point of when Dems owed Congress and the White House they got nothing done with illegal immigration. 

The actual claim by Trump was that the Democrats "decided to do nothing" and that they "only want to use it as a campaign issue" not that they couldn't get anything done. That's patently false. 

(02-12-2018, 09:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's not a semantical argument. The two houses operate differently.

The House banned filibusters over a century ago. Pelosi spoke that long because Republicans allowed her to as minority leader. At the end of the day, a vote was going to occur in which they only need a simple majority to pass whether Nancy wanted it to happen or not. 

The Senate has actual filibusters that cannot be stopped unless there's a cloture vote. You need 60 votes in order to force that. Democrats didn't have that in 2010 when they passed the DREAM act in the House and tried to bring it for a vote in the Senate.

Likewise, Republicans have had issue with getting legislation passed as they do not have a 60 vote majority. It would be intellectually dishonest to suggest they have done nothing to get immigration legislation passed or that they did nothing to get a budget passed before the shutdown simply because they couldn't force a cloture vote. 

Guess we can just say the Dems accomplished nothing; while in the majority. Why aren't the GOP still speaking on that filibuster? 

But I'm sure we can all agree if the GOP gets a DACA compromise passed while in the majority they did accomplished more on immigration than the Dems did while they were in charge and at the end of the day that was POTUS' point.