Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Optimism coming back? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Optimism coming back? (/Thread-Optimism-coming-back)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Optimism coming back? - PhilHos - 03-13-2018

Those of you who've been around awhile know that I tend to trend to the optimistic side when it comes to many things Bengal (aside from Mike Brown). However, you'll likely recall that I was one of those that seriously considered switching my fanhood to another team once Merv was retained, not to mention MANY of the assistant coaches as well. Even after realizing it is nearly impossible to be a fan of another team after rooting for the Bengals for well over 20+ years, I resigned myself to at least 2 more years of the crap we've endured the past 2 years.

Even now, with some of the moves that make it seem as if the Front Office is FINALLY making the kind of moves they should be making EVERY year, I can't help but think this is mainly "lip service" (so to speak) in making it APPEAR as if the FO is doing stuff; trying to show the fans that things will be different this year.

With that said, the trade for Glenn is sparking the old optimism in me. I can't help but look back and think "If only we had a competent offensive line ..." which makes me look forward and think "If only we have a competent offensive line ..."

I can't say I'm hopeful for the future just yet, but the optimism is starting to come back. If the FO keeps making moves like the one they made for Glenn, it may come back stronger than ever.

Now, if only Merv can actually fix his coaching mistakes ...

RE: Optimism coming back? - WeezyBengal - 03-13-2018

I like the trade but its going to take a hell of a lot more than that to get me to be "optimistic".

The Bengals lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

RE: Optimism coming back? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-13-2018

Optimism never left :)

RE: Optimism coming back? - Nately120 - 03-13-2018

This situation reminds me a bit of how I felt when we fired Zampese during the year. On the one hand, it was a good move and it was surprising Mike Brown did it, because that's not his usual MO. On the other hand, there is also a sense of "Good move...not sure why you didn't do this a year sooner, but better late than never, I guess."

The bottom line is "good move" but there is also a notable reason why we are absolutely floored that our GM would make a trade to improve our o-line when it has been a glaring weakness for years. That might seem like complaining to some folks in these parts, but so be it.

RE: Optimism coming back? - PhilHos - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This situation reminds me a bit of how I felt when we fired Zampese during the year.  On the one hand, it was a good move and it was surprising Mike Brown did it, because that's not his usual MO.  On the other hand, there is also a sense of "Good move...not sure why you didn't do this a year sooner, but better late than never, I guess."

The bottom line is "good move" but there is also a notable reason why we are absolutely floored that our GM would make a trade to improve our o-line when it has been a glaring weakness for years.  That might seem like complaining to some folks in these parts, but so be it.

Can't disagree at all, but better late than never certainly applies here, right? Right?

RE: Optimism coming back? - coachmcneil71 - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Those of you who've been around awhile know that I tend to trend to the optimistic side when it comes to many things Bengal (aside from Mike Brown). However, you'll likely recall that I was one of those that seriously considered switching my fanhood to another team once Merv was retained, not to mention MANY of the assistant coaches as well. Even after realizing it is nearly impossible to be a fan of another team after rooting for the Bengals for well over 20+ years, I resigned myself to at least 2 more years of the crap we've endured the past 2 years.

Even now, with some of the moves that make it seem as if the Front Office is FINALLY making the kind of moves they should be making EVERY year, I can't help but think this is mainly "lip service" (so to speak) in making it APPEAR as if the FO is doing stuff; trying to show the fans that things will be different this year.

With that said, the trade for Glenn is sparking the old optimism in me. I can't help but look back and think "If only we had a competent offensive line ..." which makes me look forward and think "If only we have a competent offensive line ..."

I can't say I'm hopeful for the future just yet, but the optimism is starting to come back. If the FO keeps making moves like the one they made for Glenn, it may come back stronger than ever.

Well stated! Last season was a tough one on all of us, especially us ole-timer's!

(03-13-2018, 02:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Can't disagree at all, but better late than never certainly applies here, right? Right?

It does.  No denying that!

RE: Optimism coming back? - Sled21 - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I like the trade but its going to take a hell of a lot more than that to get me to be "optimistic".

The Bengals lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

Super Bowl Baby!!!!!!

RE: Optimism coming back? - BengalChris - 03-13-2018

Quote:RE: Optimism coming back?

A little. The Cordy Glenn trade certainly helps.

But I've also lived through Mike Brown's history and there is little he can do make up for how f--ed he has been over the decades. I'd need to see a championship, maybe two.

There's still a lot for this team to overcome, like coaching during games, better game planning, etc, etc. This team just lays egg almost every time it has to play a good team, particularly if it's in prime time or the playoffs.

The trade down for the 21st pick makes me hope for RT and C in the 1st two rounds of the draft.

I'm still hoping some other team sees something in Bodine and whisks him away before the Bengals get to him.

RE: Optimism coming back? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Those of you who've been around awhile know that I tend to trend to the optimistic side when it comes to many things Bengal (aside from Mike Brown). However, you'll likely recall that I was one of those that seriously considered switching my fanhood to another team once Merv was retained, not to mention MANY of the assistant coaches as well. Even after realizing it is nearly impossible to be a fan of another team after rooting for the Bengals for well over 20+ years, I resigned myself to at least 2 more years of the crap we've endured the past 2 years.

Definately brought my optimism back. Huge move and didn't lose much as i would of been fine trading back in the Draft anyways.

As PDub said in Fred's big changes thread, we essentially selected a 29 year old proven Cordy Glenn at 12 and still have another
first round pick at 21 where we can grab BPA, then go Center in the 2nd round. Pollack clearly has some pull and he is nothing like
PA, dude can be a disciplinarian. Glenn is now our best O-lineman instantly and we can add more tools for Pollack to work with.

If we can run the ball and protect Dalton it takes away most of Merv's weaknesses.

RE: Optimism coming back? - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This situation reminds me a bit of how I felt when we fired Zampese during the year.  On the one hand, it was a good move and it was surprising Mike Brown did it, because that's not his usual MO.  On the other hand, there is also a sense of "Good move...not sure why you didn't do this a year sooner, but better late than never, I guess."

The bottom line is "good move" but there is also a notable reason why we are absolutely floored that our GM would make a trade to improve our o-line when it has been a glaring weakness for years.  That might seem like complaining to some folks in these parts, but so be it.

This.  Even Paul Daugherty hinted they may have done it because the ticket renewals were so bad this year.  I will say, however, this move, coupled with a good draft for a C or G takes me back to cautiously optimistic.

RE: Optimism coming back? - BengalHawk62 - 03-13-2018

Oh no no no.....they can’t fool me anymore. I’ve seen Peanuts when Lucy keeps pulling the football out from Charlie Brown. Every damn time. No, it’s going to take a hell of a lot more than just one signing of an oft injured OL to bring me back into the fold. I know how our doctors operate. Are we sure Glenn is fully healthy or is he going to retire due to complications from his injuries? Our team doctors can misdiagnose a common cold as a broken fibula. I have no expectations whatsoever for Glenn or these new coaches we brought in. You can paint a turd orange, it’s still a turd.

(03-13-2018, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.  Even Paul Daugherty hinted they may have done it because the ticket renewals were so bad this year.  I will say, however, this move, coupled with a good draft for a C or G takes me back to cautiously optimistic.

I sort of feel like one of those parents who throws his kid a party because he got a C- on a test when he usually gets an F.  Deep down I know the bar is set low, but damn it I need to feel good about something so nuts to it!

RE: Optimism coming back? - McC - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.  Even Paul Daugherty hinted they may have done it because the ticket renewals were so bad this year.  I will say, however, this move, coupled with a good draft for a C or G takes me back to cautiously optimistic.

That's the magic phrase right there.  The Bengals fan in us keeps us from getting carried away and, at the same time, has us wanting to believe.

RE: Optimism coming back? - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 03:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I sort of feel like one of those parents who throws his kid a party because he got a C- on a test when he usually gets an F.  Deep down I know the bar is set low, but damn it I need to feel good about something so nuts to it!

Ha ha ha......good analogy.  Spot on.

RE: Optimism coming back? - CJD - 03-13-2018

I am excited about this season again.

RE: Optimism coming back? - reuben.ahmed - 03-13-2018

What is optimism? Lol.

RE: Optimism coming back? - sandwedge - 03-13-2018

Am I optimistic, a little. I give them credit for the last couple of days and it should help. My problem is the HC. You can have all the talent in the world on the team, but if the HC can't manage a game, then it's all for not. We shall see, but I am remaining reserved for the moment

RE: Optimism coming back? - reuben.ahmed - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 02:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Super Bowl Baby!!!!!!

I'm feeling multiple Super Bowls! I'm feeling 5 bowls out of the next 6 years!

RE: Optimism coming back? - BengalHawk62 - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 03:15 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm feeling multiple Super Bowls! I'm feeling 5 bowls out of the next 6 years!

I’m feeling 5 bowls too....later on tonight of the sticky icky! Lol!