Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Great article on Burkhead - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Great article on Burkhead (/Thread-Great-article-on-Burkhead)

Pages: 1 2

Great article on Burkhead - Daddy-O - 08-16-2015

Hob's JN article on Rex Burkhead is a good read. Wouldn't be something if he turns out to be our Wes Welker type player?

Last year's injuries really sucked, but it may have presented the Bengals (and Rex) the opportunity to see something they otherwise may have never known - that this guy has all the tools to play that role.

I know Rex Burkhead likes to be known as a running back but this could be the thing that extends his NFL career.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Luvnit2 - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 11:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Hob's JN article on Rex Burkhead is a good read.  Wouldn't be something if he turns out to be our Wes Welker type player?

Last year's injuries really sucked, but it may have presented the Bengals (and Rex) the opportunity to see something they otherwise may have never known - that this guy has all the tools to play that role.

I know Rex Burkhead likes to be known as a running back but this could be the thing that extends his NFL career.

I went to family day last Saturday. I walked away impressed by Rex both as a running back and as a receiver. Welker was a special slot receiver who thrived having not 1, but 2 HOF QB's throwing to him. I still always liked him and is tough comparison for Rex. I obviously feel Rex has running back skills after the catch. I think Welker's ability to get a defender to commit quickly and then go the other direction was his strength. Like I said, it helped he had HOF QB's who trusted him enough to give him the time to beat the DB or LB.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - McC - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I went to family day last Saturday. I walked away impressed by Rex both as a running back and as a receiver. Welker was a special slot receiver who thrived having not 1, but 2 HOF QB's throwing to him. I still always liked him and is tough comparison for Rex. I obviously feel Rex has running back skills after the catch. I think Welker's ability to get a defender to commit quickly and then go the other direction was his strength. Like I said, it helped he had HOF QB's who trusted him enough to give him the time to beat the DB or LB.

Rex will probably never be the slot receiver Welker has been--few ever will.  Welker is a lock for the HOF.  But he will add more versatility in an offense because he is a running back first and foremost.

Welker was an excellent PR, so he has that over Rex, but does anyone else think Rex would be a pretty good KR?

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Luvnit2 - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 12:42 PM)McC Wrote: Rex will probably never be the slot receiver Welker has been--few ever will.  Welker is a lock for the HOF.  But he will add more versatility in an offense because he is a running back first and foremost.

Welker was an excellent PR, so he has that over Rex, but does anyone else think Rex would be a pretty good KR?

He does not have the break away speed of Tate, but rarely are KO's returned all the way.

I think we need to find a Tate replacement other than A. Jones. I like Tate, but my issue is he gives us very little at the WR position. I have no issues with Tate PR or KO ability unlike many others. I just want a better option at WR if we have injuries.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Okeana - 08-16-2015

I would compare him more to Edleman or Woodhead than I would Wes Welker. Welker is an anomaly in the NFL and really one of those rare talents that comes along once in a lifetime.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Synric - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 12:42 PM)McC Wrote: Rex will probably never be the slot receiver Welker has been--few ever will.  Welker is a lock for the HOF.  But he will add more versatility in an offense because he is a running back first and foremost.

Yea everyone is always trying to compare him to Welker.... I see Danny Woodhead.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Junglejuice - 08-16-2015

Why is EVERY white dude always going to be the next "Wes Welker" type player.

Hilarious.

Hes a great football player for sure.
BUT EVERY WHITE DUDE IN THE NFL WHO IS NOT OVER 6ft TALL IS ALWAYS THE NEXT WELKER.

Lol smh

(08-16-2015, 03:05 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Why is EVERY white dude always going to be the next "Wes Welker" type player.

Hilarious.  

Hes a great football player for sure.
BUT EVERY WHITE DUDE IN THE NFL WHO IS NOT OVER 6ft TALL IS ALWAYS THE NEXT WELKER.

Lol  smh

You don't think it has more to do with Rex being played in the slot like the best slot receiver of this generation than the color of his skin?

RE: Great article on Burkhead - BritishBengal - 08-16-2015

(08-16-2015, 03:30 PM)McC Wrote: You don't think it has more to do with Rex being played in the slot like the best slot receiver of this generation than the color of his skin?

Ha no. Jungle Juice is spot on. There are loads of better comparisons than Welker. It's hilarious how people find it impossible to compare two players of different race.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - BengalRugby - 08-16-2015

I like the versatility/utility of Burkhead, but am in no rush to anoint him anything beyond a reasonable receiver for a HB. There appears to be some promise for him making such a move, and have to believe he would become a very good blocker compared to the other WR's at the very least.

Get over it people see skin color whats the big deal? This day and age there are a handful of white running backs who convert to a slot receiver and the best of them just happens to be welker. Just because its human nature to draw the simplest conclusion instead of scouring football history to perfect match him to someone of color doesn't make people racist.

RE: Great article on Burkhead - Cinnno - 08-16-2015

More impress with Rex than Eifert. Burkhead has football quickness and the speed to get open when played straight up. Uncovered at the line, Eifert was easily caught and tackled by a MLB. Have yet to see him (in his 2 seasons) get open and separate when covered at the l.o.s.

(08-16-2015, 04:56 PM)Cinnno Wrote: More impress with Rex than Eifert.  Burkhead has football quickness and the speed to get open when played straight up.  Uncovered at the line, Eifert was easily caught and tackled by a MLB.  Have yet to see him (in his 2 seasons) get open and separate when covered at the l.o.s.

You're the second person who mentioned this about him being caught.  I watched it twice and both times, it looked pretty clear to me that the LB in question was in zone coverage and right there when Eifert caught the ball.  Nobody chased him down at all. 

And you do know that LB's and TE's are ab out the same, speed-wise these days.  As a group, I would even say LB's are faster than TE's.

Between Burkhead, who I like a lot, and Eifert, we'll see who catches more passes.  When you're chanting Eifert's name, remember this conversation.

(08-16-2015, 04:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: Get over it people see skin color whats the big deal? This day and age there are a handful of white running backs who convert to a slot receiver and the best of them just happens to be welker.  Just because its human nature to draw the simplest conclusion instead of scouring football history to perfect match him to someone of color doesn't make people racist.

Why compare in the first place? It's something that happens so often when people talk of players in the NFL. People cannot just accept that everyone will be slightly different and bring a uniqueness to the position. When I watch football (soccer) or rugby or cricket in England there is, in comparison, very little of this. Burkhead is taller, heavier and slower than Woodhead, Welker or Edelman. He couldn't be a more different player in so many ways. 

(08-16-2015, 05:58 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Why compare in the first place? It's something that happens so often when people talk of players in the NFL. People cannot just accept that everyone will be slightly different and bring a uniqueness to the position. When I watch football (soccer) or rugby or cricket in England there is, in comparison, very little of this. Burkhead is taller, heavier and slower than Woodhead, Welker or Edelman. He couldn't be a more different player in so many ways. 

We are given to comparison in America.  It's what we do.  Some players are doomed by it, others elevated.  It is far from an exact science.

(08-16-2015, 03:50 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Ha no. Jungle Juice is spot on. There are loads of better comparisons than Welker. It's hilarious how people find it impossible to compare two players of different race.

(08-16-2015, 05:58 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Why compare in the first place? It's something that happens so often when people talk of players in the NFL. People cannot just accept that everyone will be slightly different and bring a uniqueness to the position. When I watch football (soccer) or rugby or cricket in England there is, in comparison, very little of this. Burkhead is taller, heavier and slower than Woodhead, Welker or Edelman. He couldn't be a more different player in so many ways. 

I think this may be a cultural thing, but it isn't a literal comparison.  Its more of a point of reference like comparing boxers of similar styles.  Also conversationally we speak to a lot of people who may only be casual fans of football and not understand when you say a guy is a tailback that is converting to a hybrid slot receiver.  If you say speedy white guy who runs the slot almost 99% of people would naturally assume you're talking about wes welker.

(08-16-2015, 06:08 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think this may be a cultural thing, but it isn't a literal comparison.  Its more of a point of reference like comparing boxers of similar styles.  Also conversationally we speak to a lot of people who may only be casual fans of football and not understand when you say a guy is a tailback that is converting to a hybrid slot receiver.  If you say speedy white guy who runs the slot almost 99% of people would naturally assume you're talking about wes welker.

Point of reference is exactly what it is.  It's how movies get made, recording artists get signed, blind dates get set up. 

(08-16-2015, 05:32 PM)McC Wrote: You're the second person who mentioned this about him being caught.  I watched it twice and both times, it looked pretty clear to me that the LB in question was in zone coverage and right there when Eifert caught the ball.  Nobody chased him down at all. 

And you do know that LB's and TE's are ab out the same, speed-wise these days.  As a group, I would even say LB's are faster than TE's.

Between Burkhead, who I like a lot, and Eifert, we'll see who catches more passes.  When you're chanting Eifert's name, remember this conversation.

Not only that, but when you talk to everyone on the team they say this guy is amazing.  I totally agree with McC that this guy will be an absolute mega star if he stays healthy.  He's filling out nicely with age and who cares how he was tackled.  The guy caught the ball and got the first which is what his job is; would you rather have Gresham drop it and punt.

(08-16-2015, 06:12 PM)Okeana Wrote: Not only that, but when you talk to everyone on the team they say this guy is amazing.  I totally agree with McC that this guy will be an absolute mega star if he stays healthy.  He's filling out nicely with age and who cares how he was tackled.  The guy caught the ball and got the first which is what his job is; would you rather have Gresham drop it and punt.

...or catch it, get the first down, fight for one more yard and fumble it.

(08-16-2015, 06:07 PM)McC Wrote: We are given to comparison in America.  It's what we do.  Some players are doomed by it, others elevated.  It is far from an exact science.

(08-16-2015, 06:08 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think this may be a cultural thing, but it isn't a literal comparison.  Its more of a point of reference like comparing boxers of similar styles.  Also conversationally we speak to a lot of people who may only be casual fans of football and not understand when you say a guy is a tailback that is converting to a hybrid slot receiver.  If you say speedy white guy who runs the slot almost 99% of people would naturally assume you're talking about wes welker.

It's interesting isn't it. I think you both may be right in that respect, it being cultural. I just wonder why. It's something that has always got to me. No one player can be celebrated in isolation.