Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) (/Thread-Breaking-Burfict-Suspended-Again)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Circleville Guy - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 08:31 PM)McC Wrote: He's the heart of the team.  It's our cross to bear.  What he gives can't be gotten in a trade.  You will never get adequate return in such a trade.    Weakening your team is a bad idea.

Dude has played like 60% of the games, dumb penalties when he does play. He usually misses at the beginning of the year and it puts the team in a hole out of the gate, that’s the heart of the team? Even if the team were to win when he’s out, how does it affect the continuity that the team established when he was out? He’s a huge talent but if dude can’t stay on the field then he shorthand’s the team and becomes a negative. If he’s missing 5-8 games every year, there’s a problem.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - BrownAssClown - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Four game suspension saves us $1.7 million we can use to sign another free agent.

Haven't read all 4 pages, but no way in hell do we release Burfict over this.  Our defense sucked without him.
Bodine, here we come! Cool

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - TKUHL - 03-17-2018

So much for watching JuJu murdured live on tv

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-17-2018

(03-16-2018, 09:39 PM)PDub80 Wrote: My question will be do they require paperwork to show a prescription to get a medical exemption FIRST, or does the NFL accept medical paperwork post test to confirm?

That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to. Earlier I mentioned I remembered Freeney being suspended for a legit prescription. It was actually Robert Mathis.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/05/16/indianapolis-colts-robert-mathis-suspended-performance-enhancing-drugs/9187069/

Mathis didn't get a therapeutic excemption before taking the medication. Despite Mathis' doctor providing the medical records indicating he prescribed the medication for a therapeutic reason Goodell denied his appeal.

But, I also know a player who tested positive for adderall at the combine won his appeal after providing proof of a valid prescription.

I don't expect Goodell to show any sort of consistency, however.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Sled21 - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 12:00 AM)TKUHL Wrote: So much for watching JuJu murdured live on tv

And you can bet that is exactly what this is about.....

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Sled21 - 03-17-2018

And, I'll say this. If you look back to when Burfict was supposed to be drafted. I was adamantly against bringing him here. He's changed my mind, and I'm glad he's a Bengal. If it is true, that he was taking medication prescribed to him by the team doctor, then the team doctor is responsible. Face it, most of the players are not the sharpest knives in the drawer off the field. If their doctor tells them to take this, to heal an injury, I don't expect they go out and get a chemical composition list and compare it to the banned substance list. I'd be really interested to know if this was a personal physician or a team doc who prescribed it, and what the team's stance on it is.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Ravage - 03-17-2018

(03-16-2018, 10:18 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Bodine, here we come! Cool

Damn you...because you're probably right.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - jj22 - 03-17-2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/17/vontaze-burficts-defense-may-rely-in-part-on-adderall-exception/

More of an update.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - McC - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 05:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/17/vontaze-burficts-defense-may-rely-in-part-on-adderall-exception/

More of an update.
I'm figuring four weeks and anything less than that will be gravy.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And, I'll say this. If you look back to when Burfict was supposed to be drafted. I was adamantly against bringing him here. He's changed my mind, and I'm glad he's a Bengal. If it is true, that he was taking medication prescribed to him by the team doctor, then the team doctor is responsible. Face it, most of the players are not the sharpest knives in the drawer off the field. If their doctor tells them to take this, to heal an injury, I don't expect they go out and get a chemical composition list and compare it to the banned substance list. I'd be really interested to know if this was a personal physician or a team doc who prescribed it, and what the team's stance on it is.

I didn't want him either but when Marv brought him in as an UDFA i was like, alright.

He is one hell of a LB to watch, first time i saw him in stripes in a Preseason game he made a nice diving interception...

I liked him ever since and was just glad he was on our side. He played dirty sometimes early on, but he has took that
out of his game. When he tackles someone he puts them on their backside, he knows how to use his body in a way
that not many can.

Funny thing is, one of the ones that can, we just picked up in Preston Brown.

Doping - RockyMountainBengal - 03-17-2018

I don't post often. But I'd like throw this out there. I'm a huge Bengals fan. I race in a sport where I get tested all the time. I'll say this: Testing is expensive and a pain in the ass to make sure the chain of possession is preserved etc. They're not testing across the board, they're targeting certain individuals. I know 55 has proven himself to be a bit of a knucklehead, but anyone who thinks he wasn't targeted is living on another planet. Guys I race against get busted all the time and they're amateurs. There's no reason to think an NFL athlete who has one shot to make it isn't doing what they can to improve their chances. The reality is, they're targeting the few. Out of comp. testing is pretty rare unless you're being targeted.

And, I find it interesting that national pundits like Florio have no less than 3 full page essays ready to roll as soon as something like this hits.

RE: Doping - BengalFanInNJ - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 08:37 PM)RockyMountainBengal Wrote: I don't post often. But I'd like throw this out there. I'm a huge Bengals fan. I race in a sport where I get tested all the time. I'll say this: Testing is expensive and a pain in the ass to make sure the chain of possession is preserved etc. They're not testing across the board, they're targeting certain individuals. I know 55 has proven himself to be a bit of a knucklehead, but anyone who thinks he wasn't targeted is living on another planet. Guys I race against get busted all the time and they're amateurs. There's no reason to think an NFL athlete who has one shot to make it isn't doing what they can to improve their chances. The reality is, they're targeting the few. Out of comp. testing is pretty rare unless you're being targeted.

And, I find it interesting that national pundits like Florio have no less than 3 full page essays ready to roll as soon as something like this hits.

Of course. Florio is a Steelers fan. You'll never hear him (see him actually) write about the steroid abuse of the Steelers in the 1970's. 

RE: Doping - motoarch - 03-17-2018

Hard eye roll

RE: Doping - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 08:37 PM)RockyMountainBengal Wrote: I don't post often. But I'd like throw this out there. I'm a huge Bengals fan. I race in a sport where I get tested all the time. I'll say this: Testing is expensive and a pain in the ass to make sure the chain of possession is preserved etc. They're not testing across the board, they're targeting certain individuals. I know 55 has proven himself to be a bit of a knucklehead, but anyone who thinks he wasn't targeted is living on another planet. Guys I race against get busted all the time and they're amateurs. There's no reason to think an NFL athlete who has one shot to make it isn't doing what they can to improve their chances. The reality is, they're targeting the few. Out of comp. testing is pretty rare unless you're being targeted.

I guess that means there is no reason to believe you aren't doping. If you get caught doping whose fault is it? Your's for doping or the governing body responsible for testing? Your's.

Your argument is akin to saying it wasn't Lance Armstrong's fault for doping because he was targeted. Complete BS.

RE: Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again) - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 05:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/17/vontaze-burficts-defense-may-rely-in-part-on-adderall-exception/

More of an update.

If that's his explanation he's ******.

RE: Doping - RockyMountainBengal - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 09:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I guess that means there is no reason to believe you aren't doping. If you get caught doping whose fault is it?  Your's for doping or the governing body responsible for testing?  Your's.

Your argument is akin to saying it wasn't Lance Armstrong's fault for doping because he was targeted. Complete BS.

What I'm saying is they can't/won't test everyone. They pick and choose who they test and they focus on the ones they know will be easy targets. Its a slippery slope to suggest all or most are doing it, but since you brought up the cycling analogy, yeah... NFL players stand to gain so much more than a pack-fill cyclist. I'm the last to defend the likes of Lance Armstrong. I've seen plenty of folks get away with it when their peers know whats going on. I've seen others targeted because they're easy targets. 

Doping sucks. It happens at your local 5k, marathon, racquetball tourny, nascar race, curling competition  Ninja   etc. The reality is its easy to get around the tests when you know your'e not going to get tested, or know what your levels need to be. If local joes can get around WADA testing, NFL players can too. Hence, I take these reports with a grain of salt.

And in response to your insinuation that I dope. I'm currently not racing because I had a Bi-Lateral Pulmonary Embolism (blood clots in both my lungs) last year and taking meds to recover. Those meds would require a TUE. (Therapeutic Use Exception) which is a huge pain in the ass.  I choose to race clean and will hope that I recover and can get back at it sooner than later. 

Just don't believe all you hear. 

cheers. Who Dey

RE: Doping - Sweetness - 03-17-2018

If you're an athlete at above high school level then you also know that they do random testing as well. You really think the NFL, a billion dollar industry is worried about the minor expense of drug testing? Time and time again we see players get in trouble for taking a steroid while they're injured. That's when most of them get caught because they're trying to get healthy. Burfict probably thought, "Hey, my season is over so I'm probably not going to get tested".

Even if the NFL was targeting him how is it their fault he failed the test? Or are you implying they spiked his sample so he would fail? 
P.S. The Ravens lead the league in drug related suspensions...including Ray Lewis who also got in trouble while recovering from an injury.

RE: Doping - SunsetBengal - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 10:10 PM)Sweetness Wrote: If you're an athlete at above high school level then you also know that they do random testing as well. You really think the NFL, a billion dollar industry is worried about the minor expense of drug testing? Time and time again we see players get in trouble for taking a steroid while they're injured. That's when most of them get caught because they're trying to get healthy. Burfict probably thought, "Hey, my season is over so I'm probably not going to get tested".

Even if the NFL was targeting him how is it their fault he failed the test? Or are you implying they spiked his sample so he would fail? 
P.S. The Ravens lead the league in drug related suspensions...including Ray Lewis who also got in trouble while recovering from an injury.

Yeah, I was following and agreeing with you, until you went completely over the top with that sentence.   Mellow

You might ask yourself if your intent is to post on the topic, or to make an attempt to pile on the previous poster...

RE: Doping - Sweetness - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I was following and agreeing with you, until you went completely over the top with that sentence.   Mellow

You might ask yourself if your intent is to post on the topic, or to make an attempt to pile on the previous poster...

No, I was serious. I genuinely don't understand how it could be the league's fault unless that's what he was implying. I'm a little tipsy (March Madness baby) so maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't get it.

Bengals fans obviously don't do any research because there's people getting caught for PEDs all of the time.

RE: Doping - RockyMountainBengal - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 10:22 PM)Sweetness Wrote: No, I was serious. I genuinely don't understand how it could be the league's fault unless that's what he was implying. 

Bengals fans obviously don't do any research because there's people getting caught for PEDs all of the time.

Doping control is a huge pain in the ass. Many of the tests they do have time limits, half lifes, are debatable after a certain period of time etc. Not to mention they fedex them to a wada lab in San Francisco... which is complete BS.  I don't care how much money the NFL has. The reality is, they target those who they think might be doping and ignore others. (Manning) As I said before, its a slippery slope to say x percentage of players are doping, but if you had millions on the line and knew you had a minuscule chance of getting tested,  we shouldn't be fooled.  

I've seen cyclists spend half their measly  30k salary on testorone, hgh, etc. just to stay in the game.