Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? (/Thread-Can-Isaiah-Wynn-Play-Tackle)

Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Domata94 - 04-16-2018

I've seen a lot of discussion about Isaiah Wynn on the board and whether he has to play on the inside of the o-line or if he can play tackle. I wanted to post some information about some NFL comp players to see if size and arm-length make that much of a difference. I got the measurements from combine data and also included PFF scores (I know those scores aren't a tell-all, but they're useful for comparing how lineman perform).

Height: Isaiah Wynn 6'2 6/8"
Most NFL offensive tackles are at least 6'4" with many of them standing at 6'6"+. I checked the stats of the current starting NFL tackles and only 4 measure in at under 6'4".

Dion Dawkins:   6'3 7/8"    -2017 PFF 74.5
Charles Leno Jr: 6'3 7/8"    -2017 PFF 80.4
Chris Hubbard:   6'3 5/8"    -2017 PFF 69.6
Kelvin Beachum: 6'2 7/8"    -2017 PFF 72.7

Arm Length: Isaiah Wynn 33 3/8"
Another measurements that gets heavily critiqued among offensive tackles is their arm-length. Longer arms are generally seen as an advantage in setting the edge and keeping away pass rushers. I've come up with a short list of notable tackles with comparable arm-lengths to Isaiah Wynn. (*/8 used as a common denominator)

Marcus Gilbert:     33 4/8"   -2017 PFF 81.9
Mitchell Schwartz: 33 4/8"   -2017 PFF 80.0
Jake Matthews:     33 3/8"   -2017 PFF 80.8
Bryan Bulaga:       33 2/8"   -2016 PFF 85.5 (injured in 2017)
Riley Reiff:            33 2/8"   -2017 PFF 48.6
Kelvin Beachum:    33 2/8"   -2017 PFF 72.7

Kelvin Beachum Comparison
Physically speaking, Kelvin Beachum is by the the best comparison to Isaiah Wynn as an offensive tackle. Their measurements are almost identical with Beachum being a hair taller and Wynn having slightly longer arms. The difference is NFL readiness. Coming out of SMU, Beachum had several question marks regarding his size, physicality and the level of competition he faced at SMU (C-USA at that time). He ended up being a 7th round draft pick by the Steelers in 2012. He had a great year in 2014 where he ranked as the league's #5 offensive tackle and #67 overall in PFF's top 100 players list, before suffering an ACL injury in 2015.
Wynn, on the other hand, has no doubts concerning his physicality or level of competition. He played guard and tackle at Georgia, in the SEC, which is full of NFL talent. He has very few flaws and is considered to be an early starter in his career with a mid-late first round projection.

What position do you think Wynn will play in the NFL?

*I'll include this link to an article on PFF from 2013 about arm-length in NFL tackles. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it made for an interesting read and, according to his study, doesn't show much of a correlation between play quality and arm-length. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Jason_NC - 04-16-2018

His best NFL position would probably be LG. I think he could also be good at RG. Maybe RT.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - BengalDawg - 04-17-2018

I am admittedly a homer. With that said, Isaiah Wynn might be the best Olineman to come out of UGA since Cordy Glenn and Clint Boling. If you wonder about his ability to play tackle look at this from pff:

1,104 snaps since 2014 (328 while playing OT)
4 sacks (1 while playing OT)
2 QB hits ( 0 while playing OT)
20 pressures (only 5 while playing OT)

In case the question is the talent he played against:
- Jeff Holand (Carl Lawson 2.0)
- Da'Shawn Hand (Top 3 rounds this year)
- Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (Top 3 rounds this year)
- Marquez Sweat (you'll know the name by this time next season)

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Au165 - 04-17-2018

He could play RT, which gives him some versatility.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Domata94 - 04-17-2018

(04-17-2018, 10:35 AM)BengalDawg Wrote: I am admittedly a homer. With that said, Isaiah Wynn might be the best Olineman to come out of UGA since Cordy Glenn and Clint Boling. If you wonder about his ability to play tackle look at this from pff:

Yeah, I really like him as well. Those are some pretty impressive statistics against good players.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Goalpost - 04-17-2018

He is one of my favorite players in the draft. He could play 3 positions conceivably C, G, T. To me, that type of player really opens up the draft the rest of the way if you take him 1st. It doesn't appear we have done much to visit with him, which is kind of surprising, the o-line need.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Go Cards - 04-17-2018

Think he can play RT, RG, LG, or Center in the league personally.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Yojimbo - 04-17-2018

The simple answer is yes, he can play tackle. The more difficult and prudent question is what position does he play best. That’s where I would want him.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Yogo - 04-17-2018

With his short arms, he will excel a lot more as a Guard ideally. If we desperately need an emergency line shifting fill in, due to injuries, RT. IMHO

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - SunsetBengal - 04-17-2018

Isiah Wynn is easily one of my favorite players coming out in this draft.  Personally, I think it is absurd for fans to try to "pigeon hole" him into any particular position on the OL.  The fact is, he's one hell of a good football player.  He'll do well, in whatever position a team asks him to play.  

Forget about the "measurables" with this guy, just watch actual footage of him in action.  That guy has more power, agility, determination, and coordination than most of the guys with the "prototypical" numbers.  His hands, feet, and hips just move in such a fluid way, with power and direction.  That is instinct, the guy just knows how to control his opponent.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-18-2018

(04-16-2018, 08:41 PM)Domata94 Wrote: I've seen a lot of discussion about Isaiah Wynn on the board and whether he has to play on the inside of the o-line or if he can play tackle. I wanted to post some information about some NFL comp players to see if size and arm-length make that much of a difference. I got the measurements from combine data and also included PFF scores (I know those scores aren't a tell-all, but they're useful for comparing how lineman perform).

Height: Isaiah Wynn 6'2 6/8"
Most NFL offensive tackles are at least 6'4" with many of them standing at 6'6"+. I checked the stats of the current starting NFL tackles and only 4 measure in at under 6'4".

Dion Dawkins:   6'3 7/8"    -2017 PFF 74.5
Charles Leno Jr: 6'3 7/8"    -2017 PFF 80.4
Chris Hubbard:   6'3 5/8"    -2017 PFF 69.6
Kelvin Beachum: 6'2 7/8"    -2017 PFF 72.7

Arm Length: Isaiah Wynn 33 3/8"
Another measurements that gets heavily critiqued among offensive tackles is their arm-length. Longer arms are generally seen as an advantage in setting the edge and keeping away pass rushers. I've come up with a short list of notable tackles with comparable arm-lengths to Isaiah Wynn. (*/8 used as a common denominator)

Marcus Gilbert:     33 4/8"   -2017 PFF 81.9
Mitchell Schwartz: 33 4/8"   -2017 PFF 80.0
Jake Matthews:     33 3/8"   -2017 PFF 80.8
Bryan Bulaga:       33 2/8"   -2016 PFF 85.5 (injured in 2017)
Riley Reiff:            33 2/8"   -2017 PFF 48.6
Kelvin Beachum:    33 2/8"   -2017 PFF 72.7

Kelvin Beachum Comparison
Physically speaking, Kelvin Beachum is by the the best comparison to Isaiah Wynn as an offensive tackle. Their measurements are almost identical with Beachum being a hair taller and Wynn having slightly longer arms. The difference is NFL readiness. Coming out of SMU, Beachum had several question marks regarding his size, physicality and the level of competition he faced at SMU (C-USA at that time). He ended up being a 7th round draft pick by the Steelers in 2012. He had a great year in 2014 where he ranked as the league's #5 offensive tackle and #67 overall in PFF's top 100 players list, before suffering an ACL injury in 2015.
Wynn, on the other hand, has no doubts concerning his physicality or level of competition. He played guard and tackle at Georgia, in the SEC, which is full of NFL talent. He has very few flaws and is considered to be an early starter in his career with a mid-late first round projection.

What position do you think Wynn will play in the NFL?

*I'll include this link to an article on PFF from 2013 about arm-length in NFL tackles. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it made for an interesting read and, according to his study, doesn't show much of a correlation between play quality and arm-length. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

Short guys from Georgia are always underrated and I think he'd be a great asset at the next level.

Beachum kinda came out of nowhere, as he wasn't that stellar his first couple of years, but has been a solid LT.

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - BengalDawg - 04-18-2018

Honestly Clint Boling should be the answer to this question.

Clint - 6'5" / 308lbs / 33.5" arms / 9.25" hands

Isaiah - 6'3"/ 313lbs / 33.4" arms / 8.5" hands

Can Clint Boling play Tackle? I think we saw a resounding answer of yes at the end of last season. He is a better guard and ideally we keep him there but he can step out and play OT in a pinch.

Give me Wynn at 21 and Ragnow at 46 and the OLine becomes a strength

LT - Glenn
LG - Boling
C - Ragnow
RG - Wynn
RT - Hart/Fisher/Ogbuehi

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - Okeana - 04-18-2018

With wynn's skill set he can play whatever position he wants. I know nelson is the guy all the pundits are hyping up, but on tape wynn plays against the best competition and shuts them down. IF he falls to us we should take him 100%

RE: Can Isaiah Wynn Play Tackle? - BengalFanInNJ - 04-18-2018

(04-17-2018, 10:35 AM)BengalDawg Wrote: I am admittedly a homer. With that said, Isaiah Wynn might be the best Olineman to come out of UGA since Cordy Glenn and Clint Boling. If you wonder about his ability to play tackle look at this from pff:

When in doubt, draft a guy from Georgia. 

or Rutgers  Big Grin