Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bad Boys II - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bad Boys II (/Thread-Bad-Boys-II)

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is that what "defund" means? 

Exactly.

You are welcome for the education.  I know you won't hear he truth in the echo chamber where you live.

RE: Bad Boys II - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is that what "defund" means? 

It means they aren’t getting any more supplies.

RE: Bad Boys II - bfine32 - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.

You are welcome for the education.  I know you won't hear he truth in the echo chamber where you live.

I always thought defund meant to withdraw financial support. That for the lesson.

Unsure why the echo chamber remark was required. I learned the definition in school.

RE: Bad Boys II - Millhouse - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thy are not getting rid of police.  They are just greatly reducing their roles in non-violent situations.

On Sunday the city council (9 of them which is the majority needed), said they will vote to disband the city police.

Since then, the council president said the aspirational goal was to get rid of the police in the city. 

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 04:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure why the echo chamber remark was required. 

Because all the news sources I use explained what it meant.

(06-09-2020, 04:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I always thought defund meant to withdraw financial support. That for the lesson.

Unsure why the echo chamber remark was required. I learned the definition in school.

Let me check my notes . . .

(04-23-2020, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We're done. Enjoy the draft. 

Funds
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to funds: investment funds, Hedge funds, Mutual funds
fund (fŭnd)
n.
1. A source of supply; a stock: a fund of goodwill.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/funds

A lot of people think funds means money, but funds and supplies are the same according to . . . you.

So defund is just another way of saying de-supply. So when they say they are going to defund the police department what that means is they aren’t giving them anymore supplies such as paperclips. If they want paperclips they’ll have to get them on their own.

RE: Bad Boys II - Belsnickel - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Unfortunately this is 100% bullshit.

Police only create a very small portion of arrests.  The overwhelming majority of black people get arrested because other black people are victims of their crimes and call the police.

Based on percentage of population blacks are almost twice as likely to commit violent crimes and 70% of the time the victim is also black.  That is not based on arrest or conviction numbers which might reflect racism in the system.  Instead that is based on the Bureau of Justice Victim Survey numbers.

BLM will never accomplish anything as long as they refuse to address the high crime rate among blacks and the glorification of the "thug" identity.  White people did the same thing back in the 1930's.  Thy saw the banks as evil so they saw bank robbers as heroes.  It was wrong then and it is wrong now.  But the black community has to take care of that themselves.  And the first step is to stop lying about the crime numbers.

Not saying I disagree with you on most of this. However, what we also need to recognize is that there are systemic issues that contribute to the increase crime rates in the black community. Namely, oppressive social policies that have made it difficult for black people in this country to get out of poverty and move up the socioeconomic ladder, laws passed that are targeted at crimes that poor people and minorities are more likely to commit therefore putting them in prison at higher rates for these non-violent offenses so that there can be a free labor force for the for-profit prison industrial complex, and red lining which has pushed these populations into small, urban settings which have also shown through research to be conducive to higher crime rates. That's just to name a couple off the top of my head.

We can keep digging deeper and deeper into this public policy hole, because root causes and holistic solutions are absolutely what we should target. But we need to recognize that there are also systemic issues of racial inequity in the criminal justice system, including the way in which policing often occurs (e.g. broken window policing).

(06-09-2020, 04:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because all the news sources I use explained what it meant.

I am so happy you and your news sources explained what defunding meant. I work with USC Title 10 pretty much on a daily basis and all this time we've been using the wrong word when discussing defunding. Will you and your news sources be available for our next meeting? 

But I probably get my definition of defunding from the Echo Chamber, You get yours from news sources. 

(06-09-2020, 05:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Let me check my notes . . .

A lot of people think funds means money, but funds and supplies are the same according to . . . you.

So defund is just another way of saying de-supply. So when they say they are going to defund the police department what that means is they aren’t giving them anymore supplies such as paperclips. If they want paperclips they’ll have to get them on their own.

This most likely made much more sense in your head. 

Everyone who has disputed my "echo chamber" assertion of what defunding means have said it mean limiting supplies such as "tanks". 

You'd be better off just sticking with telling folks how to use nasal swabs. I do believe you know something about that. 

(06-09-2020, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This most likely made much more sense in your head. 

Understanding stuff is a function of intelligence. So yeah, it made sense in my head and apparently not your’s. Where is it supposed to make sense, if not my head? My appendix? Jesus.

Quote:Everyone who has disputed my "echo chamber" assertion of what defunding means have said it mean limiting supplies such as "tanks". 

Show me the quote.

Quote:You'd be better off just sticking with telling folks how to use nasal swabs. I do believe you know something about that. 

This may be your most feeble attempt at a passive aggressive insult, yet.

(06-09-2020, 08:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: 1. Understanding stuff is a function of intelligence. So yeah, it made sense in my head and apparently not your’s. Where is it supposed to make sense, if not my head? My appendix? Jesus.

2. Show me the quote.

3. This may be your most feeble attempt at a passive aggressive insult, yet.

1. Thanks for that. It's a sign of the function of intelligence. But yeah,

many things make sense in a person's head until the actually see/hear what they said.

2. "It means moving money from say buying excess military gear to supporting mental health agencies.

Yes the police will have less funds...it does not mean the end of the police."

3. 2 funny coming from you.

(06-09-2020, 08:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. Thanks for that. It's a sign of the function of intelligence. But yeah,

many things make sense in a person's head until the actually see/hear what they said.

2. "It means moving money from say buying excess military gearto supporting mental health agencies.

Yes the police will have less funds...it does not mean the end of the police."

3. 2 funny coming from you.

Money is the subject of that sentence used to fund the purchase of goods or services. Not supplies.

That might make sense in some people’s heads, but not everyone is able to grasp such complex concepts. So you keep doin’ you.

(06-09-2020, 09:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Money is the subject of that sentence used to fund the purchase of goods or services. Not supplies.

That might make sense in some people’s heads, but not everyone is able to grasp such complex concepts. So you keep doin’ you.

I'm sure it made cents in your's. 

For real?

RE: Bad Boys II - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-09-2020

(06-09-2020, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Unfortunately this is 100% bullshit.

Police only create a very small portion of arrests.  The overwhelming majority of black people get arrested because other black people are victims of their crimes and call the police.

Based on percentage of population blacks are almost twice as likely to commit violent crimes and 70% of the time the victim is also black.  That is not based on arrest or conviction numbers which might reflect racism in the system.  Instead that is based on the Bureau of Justice Victim Survey numbers.

BLM will never accomplish anything as long as they refuse to address the high crime rate among blacks and the glorification of the "thug" identity.  White people did the same thing back in the 1930's.  Thy saw the banks as evil so they saw bank robbers as heroes.  It was wrong then and it is wrong now.  But the black community has to take care of that themselves.  And the first step is to stop lying about the crime numbers.

Been very busy am bone tired and also am closing on a house, so I haven't had any time for this place.  Imagine my pleasant surprise to find Fred absolutely killing it with this post and his post in the other thread.  If you want an accurate assessment of the problem look at the homicide rate.  Homicide rate is the best gauge as it cannot be fudged or skewed by politicians looking to prove some point or another.  There's no reclassifying a robbery as grand theft person with murder and you can't disappear the body.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/expanded-homicide

In 2018, most (77.3 percent) of the 14,123 murder victims for whom supplemental data were received were male.

Of the murder victims for whom race was known, 53.3 percent were Black or African American, 43.8 percent were White, and 2.8 percent were of other races. Race was unknown for 233 victims.

When the race of the offender was known, 54.9 percent were Black or African American, 42.4 percent were White, and 2.7 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 4,821 offenders.

Unfortunately, these figures stay pretty consistent year after year, percentage wise is not actual numbers.

RE: Bad Boys II - BmorePat87 - 06-09-2020

I see a lot of people mentioning defund the police. I think it's a terrible phrase for a few reasons.

1. "Defund" traditionally means to remove all funding. I understand that colloquially or informally it can be used to describe any reduction in funding, but given the absolute meaning it usually holds, you're going to confuse people.

2. There's multiple meanings of "defund the police". The most popular one seems to be a fundamental reform where various community based services replace traditional tasks of the police. But others use it to describe an abolition of the police. The mixed messaging hurts the sell.

3. The insistence of activist for using this term over "reform" comes at the cost of winning over public and political support. I get that systemic racism continues to exist because complacent white people are afraid of challenging the existing social structures that are quite comfortable, but you still need public support. Politicians aren't going to risk votes.

4. A week ago this wasn't on anyone's radar, so outrage over politicians not immediately endorsing it is silly.

Fundamental reforms are necessary, and there's a number of things in the "defund the police" agenda that would be beneficial, but they really need a new phrase.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-10-2020

(06-09-2020, 10:42 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I see a lot of people mentioning defund the police. I think it's a terrible phrase for a few reasons.

1. "Defund" traditionally means to remove all funding. I understand that colloquially or informally it can be used to describe any reduction in funding, but given the absolute meaning it usually holds, you're going to confuse people.

2. There's multiple meanings of "defund the police". The most popular one seems to be a fundamental reform where various community based services replace traditional tasks of the police. But others use it to describe an abolition of the police.  The mixed messaging hurts the sell.

3. The insistence of activist for using this term over "reform" comes at the cost of winning over public and political support. I get that systemic racism continues to exist because complacent white people are afraid of challenging the existing social structures that are quite comfortable, but you still need public support. Politicians aren't going to risk votes.

4. A week ago this wasn't on anyone's radar, so outrage over politicians not immediately endorsing it is silly.

Fundamental reforms are necessary, and there's a number of things in the "defund the police" agenda that would be beneficial, but they really need a new phrase.

To the bold:  If there wasn't outrage how would ever know about it?

All seriousness aside it has already devolved into a definition battle.  Reform has been needed for a long time.  It has happened in some places already.  Just like any reform there will be resistence because "that's the way it was always done" and there will be overreaction that hurt the reforms also.

It takes time.  But sooner or later it has to start.

I'm not sure when/if the officer realized what was happening.

Hate to see it.   Mellow

Mellow

I think he actually almost gets the point of the kneeling and the protests but...

(06-09-2020, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That sounds like restructuring, which seemed like what the Mayor was willing to discuss. But they insisted he commit to "defunding" or else he had to leave the public protest and do the GOT Walk of Shame.

Things are heated.  A lot of people want to scream about stuff and some people ( Mellow ) just want to try and confuse the issue.  Neither of those groups want to read or learn they want to talk about what they "know" and "how they see it".

Hopefully the cooler heads can work out proper and effective changes.