Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bad Boys II - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bad Boys II (/Thread-Bad-Boys-II)

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 06-10-2020

(06-08-2020, 03:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Michael Harriot of the Root, whose videos I use in class to cover a ton of great history of racial policies, had this great response to people bringing up black on black crime, breaking down the actual statistics compared to white on white crime and the degree to which black people give back to their communities compared to other groups.  

It wasn't long ago that members here were posting links from Stormfront to argue that black people were inherently more criminal. The racism exists, and here's a tool to confront it. Check it out. There's over 20 tweets in this thread, so I won't be able to post them all here

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1268463768285188096

LOL I have never seen anyone develop and support an argument so well on Twitter as Harriot.

One complaint about it though: "racism" is a pretty vague explanation, when simply dropped into an argument as Harrington does.

Someone who thinks Blacks don't address black on black crime, that a larger percentage of blacks "decide" to commit crimes and the like, is going to read Harriot's usage as a claim that whites "decide" to be racists.  Since most believe they have decided no such thing, they'll not be able to recognize "racism" as a cause or understand it as an explanation.  

(06-10-2020, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Hate to see it.   Mellow

Whitelash is building.

RE: Bad Boys II - BmorePat87 - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 11:19 AM)Dill Wrote: LOL I have never seen anyone develop and support an argument so well on Twitter as Harriot.

One complaint about it though: "racism" is a pretty vague explanation, when simply dropped into an argument as Harrington does.

Someone who thinks Blacks don't address black on black crime, that a larger percentage of blacks "decide" to commit crimes and the like, is going to read Harriot's usage as a claim that whites "decide" to be racists.  Since most believe they have decided no such thing, they'll not be able to recognize "racism" as a cause or understand it as an explanation.  

That's true, but systemic racism is a multi-faceted issue and you have to address one component at a time. 

RE: Bad Boys II - BmorePat87 - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 09:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: To the bold:  If there wasn't outrage how would ever know about it?

All seriousness aside it has already devolved into a definition battle.  Reform has been needed for a long time.  It has happened in some places already.  Just like any reform there will be resistence because "that's the way it was always done" and there will be overreaction that hurt the reforms also.

It takes time.  But sooner or later it has to start.

I agree with all of this, I just think that like a lot of liberal proposals, there's a messaging problem. 

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-10-2020

GA must out of riot gear.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 12:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I agree with all of this, I just think that like a lot of liberal proposals, there's a messaging problem. 

That always seems to be the issue.  

And you'd think with liberals controlling the media, schools, social media, etc they'd be better at getting their message out.   Ninja

(06-10-2020, 01:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: That always seems to be the issue.  

And you'd think with liberals controlling the media, schools, social media, etc they'd be better at getting their message out.   Ninja

It might be that good policy just does not lend itself to soundbites and slogans the way bad policy does.

But yeah, I am a little distressed at how "defund the police" will sound to voters. I think most will sort it out, but that will be harder if a few hotheads grab the microphone and shout "NO!--we mean NO POLICE AT ALL. We'll just police ourselves."  Replayed on Trucker, Laura and Hannity every night for a week.

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 11:19 AM)Dill Wrote: LOL I have never seen anyone develop and support an argument so well on Twitter as Harriot.

He dodges the overall crime rate by hiding behind the term "black-on-black".  Who cares if the "white-on-white" percentage is the same as the "black-on-black" percentage if the OVERALL violent crime rate is almost twice as high for blacks.

And it is hilarious that he acts like white people SHOULDN'T know what the black community is doing about crime at the same time that white people are getting criticized for "not knowing what is going on in black neighborhoods."  You can't have it both ways.  You can't call white people uncaring for not knowing something and then get mad when they ask about something.  If black people are going to demand that white people stand up with them and help them then they are going to have to tell us what the problem is.

RE: Bad Boys II - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  He dodges the overall crime rate by hiding behind the term "black-on-black".  Who cares if the "white-on-white" percentage is the same as the "black-on-black" percentage if the OVERALL violent crime rate is almost twice as high for blacks.

And it is hilarious that he acts like white people SHOULDN'T know what the black community is doing about crime at the same time that white people are getting criticized for "not knowing what is going on in black neighborhoods."  You can't have it both ways.  You can't call white people uncaring for not knowing something and then get mad when they ask about something.  If black people are going to demand that white people stand up with them and help them then they are going to have to tell us what the problem is.

Fred is killing this thread.  I think what many, if not most, people don't realize about the point being made by Fred, myself and others is that you are not helping the black community by ignoring this obvious issue.  The problems in the black community are not solely caused by systemic racism.  While that certainly is a significant part of the problem it cannot explain it away entirely.  If it could then you'd see similar numbers for other minority groups, which you absolutely do not.  Native Americans got the shaft even worse than the black community, and while they do commit crime at a disproportionate rate, it's nothing even close to the numbers coming out of the black community.  A large part of the frustration comes from knowing that as much as people say they want to assist the black community, or empower them, or whatever term you choose to use, you can't solve a problem if you ignore a significant part of it.

There is a problem when around 7% of the population commits over half the murders.  This should really concern the black community as black people account for the overwhelming percentage of these murder victims.  Acknowledging this is not diminishing the effect of systemic racism, as it appears many believe it does.  This is obviously not helped by the use of such statistics by people who obviously want to discount the role of racism in the problem at all.  But pretending this is not a problem is just as deleterious as a Tucker Carlson pretending racism isn't contributing to the issue at all.  It's analogous to a person coming into an ER with a through and through gunshot wound to the chest.  The doctor patches up the entrance wound and then is confused why the patient still died because they ignored the exit wound.

I think your 1930's glamorizing of criminals by whites is spot on, Fred.  A similar problem exists today.  It's also exacerbated by absentee fatherism and a high teen pregnancy rate.  The majority of the people I work with are black.  The vast majority of them had both parents in their life growing up and parents who actually parented.  I don't care what ethnicity you are, if you lack one, and especially both, of those things your chances of falling into criminal conduct skyrocket.  In summation, if you really care about the future of the black community, which I know I do, and I believe Fred does as well, you have to acknowledge the whole problem.  Doing so does not excuse or mitigate the racism element of the issue, but pretending that's the only issue is just as damaging from an ultimate results standpoint.  

RE: Bad Boys II - jason - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 09:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Fred is killing this thread.  I think what many, if not most, people don't realize about the point being made by Fred, myself and others is that you are not helping the black community by ignoring this obvious issue.  The problems in the black community are not solely caused by systemic racism.  While that certainly is a significant part of the problem it cannot explain it away entirely.  If it could then you'd see similar numbers for other minority groups, which you absolutely do not.  Native Americans got the shaft even worse than the black community, and while they do commit crime at a disproportionate rate, it's nothing even close to the numbers coming out of the black community.  A large part of the frustration comes from knowing that as much as people say they want to assist the black community, or empower them, or whatever term you choose to use, you can't solve a problem if you ignore a significant part of it.

There is a problem when around 7% of the population commits over half the murders.  This should really concern the black community as black people account for the overwhelming percentage of these murder victims.  Acknowledging this is not diminishing the effect of systemic racism, as it appears many believe it does.  This is obviously not helped by the use of such statistics by people who obviously want to discount the role of racism in the problem at all.  But pretending this is not a problem is just as deleterious as a Tucker Carlson pretending racism isn't contributing to the issue at all.  It's analogous to a person coming into an ER with a through and through gunshot wound to the chest.  The doctor patches up the entrance wound and then is confused why the patient still died because they ignored the exit wound.

I think your 1930's glamorizing of criminals by whites is spot on, Fred.  A similar problem exists today.  It's also exacerbated by absentee fatherism and a high teen pregnancy rate.  The majority of the people I work with are black.  The vast majority of them had both parents in their life growing up and parents who actually parented.  I don't care what ethnicity you are, if you lack one, and especially both, of those things your chances of falling into criminal conduct skyrocket.  In summation, if you really care about the future of the black community, which I know I do, and I believe Fred does as well, you have to acknowledge the whole problem.  Doing so does not excuse or mitigate the racism element of the issue, but pretending that's the only issue is just as damaging from an ultimate results standpoint.  

That's all pretty spot on, but couldn't a case be made that absentee fathers, and the high rate of teen pregnancy are a result of the traditional family unit being stripped from black people the moment they set foot in North America? I don't have numbers, and those same issues seem to be prevalent among poor whites too, but it seems like the lack of regard around breaking up families of people who were slaves could have some carryover.

RE: Bad Boys II - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 11:39 PM)jason Wrote: That's all pretty spot on, but couldn't a case be made that absentee fathers, and the high rate of teen pregnancy are a result of the traditional family unit being stripped from black people the moment they set foot in North America? I don't have numbers, and those same issues seem to be prevalent among poor whites too, but it seems like the lack of regard around breaking up families of people who were slaves could have some carryover.

That's a very reasonable assumption.  However, the black family unit did not begin disintegrating until the early 70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_family_structure

Quote:When Moynihan wrote in 1965 on the coming destruction of the Black family, the out-of-wedlock birth rate was 25% among Blacks.[19] In 1991, 68% of Black children were born outside of marriage.[20] In 2011, 72% of Black babies were born to unmarried mothers.[21][22] In 2015, 77% of Black babies were born to unmarried mothers.

There are several theories for this disintegration.  Some blame the war on drugs, which is certainly a possibility.  Others blame the welfare state, for which I personally tend to lend more credence.  The "war on drugs" certainly contributed, I would not deny this.  But I think the degradation of self esteem inherent in being reliant on others to live coupled with the financial incentive to have more children is a more likely culprit.  I fully realize that this position puts more "blame" for the problem on the left than the right, as opposed to blaming the war on drugs.  It's very likely they both had a negative impact.  The problem is both sides refuse to acknowledge the damage their political positions did.  Help is not always helpful and punishment is not always character building or otherwise constructive.  Acknowledging the damage caused by both positions would go a long way towards fixing the current problem.  Of course, neither side would dare to recognize their role in this.

RE: Bad Boys II - hollodero - 06-11-2020

(06-10-2020, 11:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's a very reasonable assumption.  However, the black family unit did not begin disintegrating until the early 70's.

There are several theories for this disintegration.  Some blame the war on drugs, which is certainly a possibility.  Others blame the welfare state, for which I personally tend to lend more credence.  The "war on drugs" certainly contributed, I would not deny this.  But I think the degradation of self esteem inherent in being reliant on others to live coupled with the financial incentive to have more children is a more likely culprit.

If that were true, the problem would have to be way more prevalent in Europe, doesn't it?

For I personally think the exact opposite is true, that permanent fear of financial ruin, homelessness and the like, the sheer hopelessness people have to live in for there's no ladder to climb and no safety net if that already exceptionally hard ladder climbing should not work out so well leads to more desperation, more crime, less responsibility etc. I might be dead wrong, but to me all the prevalent problems are rather economical ones than distinct black community ones. Blacks just happen to be poor and desperate more often. And the US system is one for "winners", while the "losers" and "loser communities" (often being determined loser communities given their starting position) disintegrate.

RE: Bad Boys II - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 12:10 AM)hollodero Wrote: If that were true, the problem would have to be way more prevalent in Europe, doesn't it?

Why?  Being dependent on the state is far more prevalent in Europe.  In the United States being dependent on others is a vastly negative trait.  Cultural norms matter, discounting them will lead you to faulty conclusions.

Quote:For I personally think the exact opposite is true, that permanent fear of financial ruin, homelessness and the like, the sheer hopelessness people have to live in for there's no ladder to climb and no safety net if that already exceptionally hard ladder climbing should not work out so well leads to more desperation, more crime, less responsibility etc. I might be dead wrong, but to me all the prevalent problems are rather economical ones than distinct black community ones. Blacks just happen to be poor and desperate more often. And the US system is one for "winners", while the "losers" and "loser communities" (often being determined loser communities given their starting position) disintegrate.

While I concede the logic of your general point it utterly fails to address why other, generally, poorer communities, such as Hispanics, and especially Native Americans, do not show the same disparate numbers as far as criminality, single parent households and teenage pregnancy.  Stick within the same nation and the disparity becomes more stark.  Comparing the United States to various European nations doesn't help in this regard.  Besides, your "minority" populations are comparatively minuscule in comparison.  You might have a valid point in twenty years in this regard if things stay as is, but I think the numbers won't be as favorable for you by then as they are now.  I suppose we shall see.

RE: Bad Boys II - hollodero - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 12:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why?  Being dependent on the state is far more prevalent in Europe.  In the United States being dependent on others is a vastly negative trait.  Cultural norms matter, discounting them will lead you to faulty conclusions.

OK sure, that was my oversimplified point, that western European countries are welfare states and yet our communities do not disintegrate and our crime rate is quite marginal compared to the US.
I do get there's a different cultural norm, but I do not see that point being so huge that it outright reverses the effect. For example, I do think not being able to provide for your family at all has a way more negative impact on a person's pride than being able to provide with the help of the state. Granted, that is more feeling than demonstrable fact.

(06-11-2020, 12:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: While I concede the logic of your general point it utterly fails to address why other, generally, poorer communities, such as Hispanics, and especially Native Americans, do not show the same disparate numbers as far as criminality, single parent households and teenage pregnancy.

I don't know about native Americans, I have no explanation. As for Hispanics, I guess one possible explanation is that many of them are more recent immigrants. There's, so to say, a bit of a selection. It's actually not Mexico's (Cuba's etc.) most awful people that successfully leave for the US, I'd rather suppose it's rather the most ambitious and capable ones. I hope that doesn't sound pejorative, it isn't meant that way. Just makes sense to me.

(06-11-2020, 12:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Comparing the United States to various European nations doesn't help in this regard.  Besides, your "minority" populations are comparatively minuscule in comparison.  You might have a valid point in twenty years in this regard if things stay as is, but I think the numbers won't be as favorable for you by then as they are now.  I suppose we shall see.

I do not intend to just compare it 1:1. Specifically considering the effect of a welfare state though, I think up to a certain point it is not totally irrational to do that. For example by just stating that hardly anyone here is forced to commit crimes to survive. In the US, I guess many are just that, forced to sell drugs or whatever because there is no other way to fulfil the most basic and essential needs.

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 06-11-2020

(06-10-2020, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  He dodges the overall crime rate by hiding behind the term "black-on-black".  Who cares if the "white-on-white" percentage is the same as the "black-on-black" percentage if the OVERALL violent crime rate is almost twice as high for blacks.

Well, if the ask is "why aren't blacks concerned about black on black violence," that is really a rhetorical question, not a question at all. I can see why black activists/educators might get made about that. And the anger is then about what whites COULD know but don't--and ignore because they think they already know.

Harriot was telling us what the problem is, or at least a part of it.

RE: Bad Boys II - samhain - 06-11-2020

(06-10-2020, 01:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: That always seems to be the issue.  

I read something awhile back about the modern RNC and the Trump campaign being pretty lights out when it comes messaging, data, social media and polling.  Somehow the left had the first social media president with Obama, then got run over by Trump and his team to the point where the Dem's are basically light years behind them.  

I'm a general fan of Obama, but the entire Democratic Party infrastructure went to complete shit on his watch, particularly at the local level.  

RE: Bad Boys II - samhain - 06-11-2020

(06-10-2020, 11:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's a very reasonable assumption.  However, the black family unit did not begin disintegrating until the early 70's.

There are several theories for this disintegration.  Some blame the war on drugs, which is certainly a possibility.  Others blame the welfare state, for which I personally tend to lend more credence.  The "war on drugs" certainly contributed, I would not deny this.  But I think the degradation of self esteem inherent in being reliant on others to live coupled with the financial incentive to have more children is a more likely culprit.  I fully realize that this position puts more "blame" for the problem on the left than the right, as opposed to blaming the war on drugs.  It's very likely they both had a negative impact.  The problem is both sides refuse to acknowledge the damage their political positions did.  Help is not always helpful and punishment is not always character building or otherwise constructive.  Acknowledging the damage caused by both positions would go a long way towards fixing the current problem.  Of course, neither side would dare to recognize their role in this.

I have no idea, really.  I feel like the most recognizable part of black culture from a national standpoint is entertainment and sports to a slightly lesser degree.  Certain forms of black culture are wildly popular, ie hip-hop and the gang-associated image.  It went from an urban lifestyle/image to arguably the bulk of pop music outside of country.  Unfortunately, the images of social roles, particularly of men in the genre are pretty morally bankrupt and at worst both malicious and self-destructive.  In some cases, this is what black kids have to aspire to as the pinnacle of achievement.  It's a lot of materialism and violence to be immersed in, even for a kid that's not really from that kind of background.  Those are the kinds of black men we see on TV and social media every day, and it has to imprint on kids to some extent. They definitely aren't examples of how the majority of African Americans live, but they are very visible.

White entertainment culture certainly has it's share of turds, don't get me wrong.  You could argue that Eminem turned a generation of white trash kids into little assholes, too, and the great rock stars of the 60's and 70's were hardly moral pillars.   What's different is that while white kids might fantasize about being rappers or rock stars or actors or athletes, at the end of the day they have people that they interact with that have much lower-profile careers but still have financial success and fulfillment.  It's a big deal to be a doctor, lawyer, business owner, etc.  It's practically expected for upper class examples.  Up until recently, white kids were almost uniformly expected to do better than their parents from a career perspective.  If they didn't, they'd kind of get looked at as losers by everyone, although most of the time people are too polite to say it.  

I do see this changing a bit in the last 10 years or so, but the old tough-guy materialist image is still pretty apparent.  The outlaw image will always be something that we take interest in as people, but there's truly almost never a future in it worth living out.  

RE: Bad Boys II - Belsnickel - 06-11-2020

I would argue that it is the war on drugs that has left black communities without male role models. The data shows that they aren't there in the neighborhoods. If it was the welfare state then they would be around even if not in the household.

That being said, our shitty welfare system is in part to blame for the violence. The strongest correlation to non-state/criminal violence around the world is income inequality. Considering we, here in the US, have inequality on par more with developing nations rather than our WEIRD nation cohorts, I'd say that plays a strong role.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 08:04 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would argue that it is the war on drugs that has left black communities without male role models. The data shows that they aren't there in the neighborhoods. If it was the welfare state then they would be around even if not in the household.

That being said, our shitty welfare system is in part to blame for the violence. The strongest correlation to non-state/criminal violence around the world is income inequality. Considering we, here in the US, have inequality on par more with developing nations rather than our WEIRD nation cohorts, I'd say that plays a strong role.

Good read on the "War on Drugs":

https://www.businessinsider.com/nixon-adviser-ehrlichman-anti-left-anti-black-war-on-drugs-2019-7

A couple highlights:

Quote:President Richard Nixon in 1971 declared a US "war on drugs" that, over the decades, fueled mass incarceration and the crisis at the US's southern border without preventing Americans from accessing dangerous drugs, and one of his top aides say it's because it was a racist policy implemented as a power grab. 

Criminalizing possession of drugs like heroin and marijuana was intended to "disrupt" two of the biggest anti-establishment forces that opposed Nixon, one of his top advisors later admitted.

Dan Baum, the author of 1996's "Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure," [/url]wrote in Harper's Magazine in 2016 that while researching his book, Ehrlichman gave a reason for the war of drugs that had little to do with protecting Americans from reefer madness.

[Image: 5744bd7d52bcd0320c8c4cd8?width=300&forma...&auto=webp]

A Black Panther leader, identified only as “Shotgun," addresses a mid-day rally of Illinois Black Panthers outside the Federal Building in downtown Chicago, May 1, 1969. Associated Press/Charles Knoblock

Baum wrote that Ehrlichman, following his very public scrutiny and conviction, had "little left to protect" and came clean about a shocking truth.

"You want to know what this was really all about?" Ehrlichman asked, referring to the war on drugs.

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news."

"Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did," he concluded, according to Baum. 

Read more: [url=http://businessinsider.com/ronald-reagan-uses-racist-language-against-africans-in-released-tape-2019-7]Ronald Reagan uses racist language against Africans on unearthed recording with Richard Nixon

Erlichman's account matches closely to the era's troubled history, when antiwar and black leaders regularly found themselves subject to investigations, scrutiny, searches, and imprisonment for drug possession. 

Six years after the Civil Rights Act and the federal government created a "war" to silence minorities.

So 50 years of a fake war created to target minorities and now some want to say that blacks are more to blame that racism? AFter hundreds of years of racism?

Yeah, that it is the older sibling punching you with your own hand and telling you to quit hitting yourself defense.

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-11-2020

After catching up a bit it's good to see that we can agree that police need more and better training and that there is an admission that they are human and get frustrated and do bad things.  Problem is it's less acceptable (to me) for them to do bad things because they hove much more protection as "part of their job".  

*I* can't be having a bad day and yell at the officer but *I* am to remain calm and "do as I'm told" in a stressful situation.  Cross an imaginary line, don't show the officer enough "respect", "sound nervous", anything and I lose my freedom (even temporarily), have to pay fines, etc.

Officer has a long, bad day and accidentally kills someone and we're to collectively shrug our shoulders because they're human and just a few bad apples are staining the whole bunch?

Not sure that's the proper way to look at it from my perspective.

But we're moving in the right direction.  It's just going to take time and be painful so naturally people are resisting it.