Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bad Boys II - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bad Boys II (/Thread-Bad-Boys-II)

RE: Bad Boys II - masonbengals fan - 06-23-2020

Several posters here are part of the mob I realize that.  Cool

RE: Bad Boys II - Belsnickel - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 10:04 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Yes, he had as you described "some very problematic positions" which leads to just how prevalent this line of thinking was in our history. We all know that. Is the tear down line to be drawn after this statue or the next, or the next or the next. You get my point. Letting what is now a mob rules ideology decide what is to be targeted is a dangerous game to play. And when good people remain silent to avoid being labeled racist it will undoubtedly spiral out of control. We are witnessing that now.

Already seeing headlines that stained glass windows with a white Jesus are racist are the churches next?

Where does it stop & who decides that? These idiots tearing down everything in sight in no way could be entrusted with that decision.

You definitely missed the point of my post.

I get that "The statue is not being removed because of it being TR. It is being removed because of the racist, caricature depiction of a an indigenous person and an African American" was your point.

How about my point? Who decides where it stops?

(06-23-2020, 10:37 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I get that "The statue is not being removed because of it being TR. It is being removed because of the racist, caricature depiction of a an indigenous person and an African American" was your point.

How about my point? Who decides where it stops?

Society. These are society driven decisions. It's the nature of things.

RE: Bad Boys II - michaelsean - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 10:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Society. These are society driven decisions. It's the nature of things.

I don't know.  We've been told that art is supposed to be offensive and controversial.  Like dunking a crucifix in a jar of piss.  

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 10:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Society. These are society driven decisions. It's the nature of things.

As an aside that is why I never understood the "snowflakes" insult thrown at progressives.  Conservatives CLING to their statues and "the way it's always been" and reject change in such a manner that it the attempt at a slur like that just falls flat.

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 06-23-2020

How do we know what society wants?  Votes or just whoever has the biggest mob at the time.

Letting mobs decide the rules of society will end up with violence between mobs.  THAT is the nature of things, and that is why we need laws and rules to govern society instead of just mob action.

(06-23-2020, 10:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know.  We've been told that art is supposed to be offensive and controversial.  Like dunking a crucifix in a jar of piss.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's still a societal decision. What is crosses the line is determined by society.

Society...I'm having trouble finding people on this board even willing to condemn what is to me totally illogical destruction. When Grant's monument was vandalized one poster on here rationalized it was because there weren't enough monuments to minorities. How about that line of thinking. Tear down heroes because other heroes aren't memorialized. What that gets you is no heroes. Instead of tearing down be positive, build something that deserves to be built. Perform some act of kindness. Do the right thing. Turn Floyd's tragic death into something good for god's sake. Honor him by building not tearing down. I'm doing a lot of talking about statues but it's just a analogy. I'll never see most of these statues but it doesn't mean I won't condemn the actions of a mob that can't distinguish right from wrong.

Thank goodness this guy didn't ask the off duty officer (who then proceed to assist in the investigation into his own accident) for his personal information...like when is leg day.

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 10:04 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Yes, he had as you described "some very problematic positions" which leads to just how prevalent this line of thinking was in our history. We all know that. Is the tear down line to be drawn after this statue or the next, or the next or the next. You get my point. Letting what is now a mob rules ideology decide what is to be targeted is a dangerous game to play. And when good people remain silent to avoid being labeled racist it will undoubtedly spiral out of control. We are witnessing that now.

Already seeing headlines that stained glass windows with a white Jesus are racist are the churches next?

Where does it stop & who decides that? These idiots tearing down everything in sight in no way could be entrusted with that decision.

It's this whole anti-racist thing that's been with the country from the time of Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine.

They forced their ideology on the South with the Union Army.  When that wasn't enough it was B v B in 1954 and the Civil Rights Act 10 years later.

Now they want to erase the even the hallowed memory of white supremacy embodied in he memorials of its foremost exponents.

But take heart, there are plenty of people out there who WON'T remain silent to avoid being labeled racist

Just today the president vowed to imprison people who vandalized federally sanctioned statues.

Trump blasts 'weak' state leaders for allowing removal of statues and historic monuments
https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-blasts-weak-states-for-allowing-targeting-of-statues-to-happen

“If I weren’t president, they would have knocked down [the Jefferson Memorial] -- if a guy like [former Vice President Joe] Biden was president, they will knock the Jefferson Memorial. Not going to happen.”

Trump said Monday that he will soon issue an executive order meant to protect public statues and monuments from being damaged or destroyed by far-left and anarchist protestors.

"We are going to do an executive order and make the cities guard their monuments," Trump told Eternal Word Television Network's Raymond Arroyo, a Fox News contributor. "This is a disgrace.

Pretty sure an executive order applies only to the executive branch, though.  

RE: Bad Boys II - BmorePat87 - 06-23-2020

(06-22-2020, 11:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/06/teddy-roosevelt-was-a-great-american/

Doesn't matter whether he was a good dude or not. Right now the mob rules apparently.

Or we could just acknowledge that it was a bad statue and that the reason stated for removing it specifically said that it had nothing to do with TR. 

At some point we can't keep our heads in the sand and dismiss everything as simply "mob rule" when society tries to grow to move beyond its troubling past. 

(06-23-2020, 11:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: Thank goodness this guy didn't ask the off duty officer (who then proceed to assist in the investigation into his own accident) for his personal information...like when is leg day.

Fortunately, that guy has been placed on administrative leave. 

The female officer responding to his orders should be as well.

(06-23-2020, 10:04 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Already seeing headlines that stained glass windows with a white Jesus are racist are the churches next?

If we want to have an actual conversation, we could discuss why we depict Jesus as a white man rather than a Jew from Palestine and the implications of that without resorting to hysterics and over exaggerations. No one will force a church to do anything other than its congregation.

But depictions like this are silly:

[Image: mormon-jesus-reno-teaser_d3dmri]

(06-23-2020, 11:08 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Society...I'm having trouble finding people on this board even willing to condemn what is to me totally illogical destruction. When Grant's monument was vandalized one poster on here rationalized it was because there weren't enough monuments to minorities. How about that line of thinking. Tear down heroes because other heroes aren't memorialized.  What that gets you is no heroes. Instead of tearing down be positive, build something that deserves to be built. Perform some act of kindness. Do the right thing. Turn Floyd's tragic death into something good for god's sake. Honor him by building not tearing down.  I'm doing a lot of talking about statues but it's just a analogy. I'll never see most of these statues but it doesn't mean I won't condemn the actions of a mob that can't distinguish right from wrong.

I agree there is no justification for taking down the Grant statue, though I have not heard from the people who did it.

So I'll go on record as willing to condemn that (so far) "totally logical destruction."

But I am not willing to ignore the reason the confederate/KKK leader statues have been torn down, nor the reason why they were put up in the first place and are currently defended as "heritage."  The erroneous and excessive destruction of the Grant statue is not the real problem in our society at present.

Plus I am sure it will be restored, whereas the statue of TR leading inferior races to enlightenment will not.

RE: Bad Boys II - fredtoast - 06-23-2020

(06-23-2020, 11:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Or we could just acknowledge that it was a bad statue and that the reason stated for removing it specifically said that it had nothing to do with TR. 

At some point we can't keep our heads in the sand and dismiss everything as simply "mob rule" when society tries to grow to move beyond its troubling past. 

I thought you were supposed to be a gteacher who knew about history.

So tell me when society ever advanced without some sort of rules or laws to control behavior.  How does it usually turn out when one group says they don't need any authorization from anyone to do whatever they want?

What is your guarantee that everyone will agree with every action taken by every mob?

I have no problem with removing offensive statues.  But I have a BIG problem with a group of radical activists making that decision instead of "society".

(06-23-2020, 12:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If we want to have an actual conversation, we could discuss why we depict Jesus as a white man rather than a Jew from Palestine and the implications of that without resorting to hysterics and over exaggerations. No one will force a church to do anything other than its congregation.

We can bring Chinese and Ethiopians into the conversation too!

[Image: 3d51daab8b189ad8eedda1c1fc2cc637.jpg]
[Image: qkxvnFio9WvF03phrDSxZ4G0r8xKUWUsEaeRqJ4s...RNRk4j5VLC]

(06-23-2020, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought you were supposed to be a gteacher who knew about history.

So tell me when society ever advanced without some sort of rules or laws to control behavior.  How does it usually turn out when one group says they don't need any authorization from anyone to do whatever they want?

What is your guarantee that everyone will agree with every action taken by every mob?

I have no problem with removing offensive statues.  But I have a BIG problem with a group of radical activists making that decision instead of "society".

This was a decision made by the institution with the backing of the TR's family. It wasn't mob rule. Same with NASCAR banning the confederate flag. Same with Aunt Jemima removing their old logo. Have there been statues torn down and vandalized? Yes, and if you want to talk about those, we can have a conversation about whether or not isolated incidents of destructive protests is indicative of an erosion of law and order and the incidents throughout history where we have gone back and applauded those who engaged in such behavior after fitting them into the narrative of our progressive history. 

In the meantime, please keep your strawmen away from me. 

(06-23-2020, 12:15 PM)Dill Wrote: We can bring Chinese and Ethiopians into the conversation too!

[Image: 3d51daab8b189ad8eedda1c1fc2cc637.jpg]
[Image: qkxvnFio9WvF03phrDSxZ4G0r8xKUWUsEaeRqJ4s...RNRk4j5VLC]

For sure. I always appreciated the artwork of the Byzantine Iconography the most for its realistic portrayal of Jesus. 

[Image: Jesus_Christ_Blessing_icon_1_620x.jpeg?v=1553115407]