Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bad Boys II - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bad Boys II (/Thread-Bad-Boys-II)

RE: Bad Boys II - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: From what I understand these protesters tore down/ bypassed a gate that stated private property. No Trespassing.

IMO, that is an added dynamic to this situation. It the right to peaceful assembly extended to doing so on someone else's property?

I was not aware of this.  One would think that would make a huge difference.

RE: Bad Boys II - bfine32 - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 04:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was not aware of this.  One would think that would make a huge difference.

As I understand it this was a private/gated community. 

RE: Bad Boys II - Dill - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 04:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Incorrect.  The taser use was directly mentioned as the main justification for the types of charges filed.  The defense attorney's for some of the officers are already all over this.

Maybe a few links then? That might bridge the gap I referred to earlier.

(06-29-2020, 04:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Then you haven't been paying attention, at all.  I will never directly state what I do or who I work for, especially not in today's climate, and I've given my reasoning for that in the past.  Many people have tried to trip me up with LEO questions, and I've never gottetn them wrong.  Fred, on the other hand, has made blatant errors about the law in his posts.  He did go back later and amend his error, but he still made it.  Also, Fred is a DPD, he is paid to defend people who can't afford a private attorney.  Lastly, LEO's are paid to read, understand, interpret and apply the law as well, far more frequently than a DPD btw.

Sounds like someone needing a defense attorney could hire an LEO then.

Lot's of us would like to keep our privacy in today's climate. Not a problem. But most anyone can state his profession without "directly" stating who he works for or where he lives. I choose not to even do that. But it sounds like you are saying you are an LEO, but not really, but really claiming LEO expertise. 

And however expert you are, you lose credibility with me by explaining differences of opinion in terms of the other guy's character flaws. That generally signals lack of expertise. Nothing "professional" about that that I can see.

(06-29-2020, 04:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have offered a logical, cogent and consistent argument.  You choose not to agree with it.  I have a feeling if Fred was making the exact same argument you'd find it much more palatable.  I suppose we can sit back and see if i turn out to be right, the same exact way I was 100% correct about all the Freddy Grey officers walking.  Was that demonstrating expertise?  Probably not to your apparently lofty standards.

Freddy Grey was a little different. No video. Failure to interview relevant witnesses, etc. An easy strike. The Brooks case is different because there is video and proper witnesses, and it arrives at a moment of national challenge to a police culture of diluted accountability.

But we've got your prediction here, from post #971.

The officer in question had to make a split second decision and IMO, he did not act inappropriately.  I do appreciate your statement though, it shows just how unreasonable many people can be when analyzing police use of force decision.

What defense?  Has the former officer been charged with a crime?  Also, if charged the officer will certainly go for a bench trial in which he will be sure to walk.  Quite honestly, if the DA files charges he'll just be pulling a Mosby, filing charges to appease a mob instead of actual doing their job properly.  Even if you disagree with the use of force, there is zero chance that a provable crime was committed.  Not only that, but the officer is almost certainly going to get his job back based on the lack of due process in his firing.  This is not a blatantly obvious abuse of authority like tasing those two college students.  At worst this is a debatable shooting, there is no criminal conduct in this incident by the officer visible to any reasonable, fair minded person.

And if Rolfe goes to court, is convicted of criminal conduct, and doesn't get his old job back, then your rep is still protected by the "fair minded" codicile, right even when wrong.

I'd appreciate links to "defense attorneys all over this." Other than that, most of our discussion can surely wait until the trial actually begins.

(06-29-2020, 05:42 PM)Dill Wrote: Maybe a few links then? That might bridge the gap I referred to earlier.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/attorney-says-da-rushed-charge-officers-involved-tasing-college-students/Y3RHMIZ2ZNCC7HA723UGEKQS54/

Quote:Sounds like someone needing a defense attorney could hire an LEO then.

Nope, need a law degree.  I will say I know several LEO's who would mop the floor with most attorneys I've seen in court.

Quote:Lot's of us would like to keep our privacy in today's climate. Not a problem. But most anyone can state his profession without "directly" stating who he works for or where he lives.  I choose not to even do that. But it sounds like you are saying you are an LEO, but not really, but really claiming LEO expertise. 

I'll say the same thing I've said the entire time I've posted here, I'm a sworn peace officer who works in the Los Angeles area.

Quote:And however expert you are, you lose credibility with me by explaining differences of opinion in terms of the other guy's character flaws. That generally signals lack of expertise. Nothing "professional" about that that I can see.

Somehow I'll find the courage to go on living.

Quote:Freddy Grey was a little different. No video. Failure to interview relevant witnesses, etc. An easy strike. The Brooks case is different because there is video and proper witnesses,

Of course the cases are different.  What is exactly the same is a DA filing inappropriate charges to appease an angry populace.  You literally cannot prove a murder charge against an LEO based on the circumstances of that event.  The bench trial will bear this out.

Quote:and it arrives at a moment of national challenge to a police culture of diluted accountability.

Ahhhh, and here we have it.  This has zero bearing on whether a law was broken or what crime a person should be charged with.  You essentially just agreed with my entire take on this case without realizing it.

Quote:But we've got your prediction here, from post #971.

The officer in question had to make a split second decision and IMO, he did not act inappropriately.  I do appreciate your statement though, it shows just how unreasonable many people can be when analyzing police use of force decision.

What defense?  Has the former officer been charged with a crime?  Also, if charged the officer will certainly go for a bench trial in which he will be sure to walk.  Quite honestly, if the DA files charges he'll just be pulling a Mosby, filing charges to appease a mob instead of actual doing their job properly.  Even if you disagree with the use of force, there is zero chance that a provable crime was committed.  Not only that, but the officer is almost certainly going to get his job back based on the lack of due process in his firing.  This is not a blatantly obvious abuse of authority like tasing those two college students.  At worst this is a debatable shooting, there is no criminal conduct in this incident by the officer visible to any reasonable, fair minded person.

And if Rolfe goes to court, is convicted of criminal conduct, and doesn't get his old job back, then your rep is still protected by the "fair minded" codicile, right even when wrong.

We'll see.  Since they're playing the "didn't follow proper procedure card he almost certainly won't get his job back now.  If he is acquitted I have little hope that you'll actually give me any type of credit.  I am sure you'll be all over it if he doesn't.  I will add this, as I've stated previously, if he goes for a jury trial he's done.  No way an entire jury will vote to acquit in the current climate (which you helpfully pointed out above).  The best he could hope for is a hung jury, but there's zero chance the DA doesn't immediately refile.

Quote:I'd appreciate links to "defense attorneys all over this." Other than that, most of our discussion can surely wait until the trial actually begins.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/attorney-says-da-rushed-charge-officers-involved-tasing-college-students/Y3RHMIZ2ZNCC7HA723UGEKQS54/

RE: Bad Boys II - TheLeonardLeap - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 04:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was not aware of this.  One would think that would make a huge difference.

[Image: qenhjzdkikfnt2fptmaq.jpg]

Estimated to be 100-300 (I have seen varying amounts but all in that range) protestors.

RE: Bad Boys II - masonbengals fan - 06-29-2020

Recipe for disaster?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-law-enforcement-police-budget-cuts-special-victims-bureau

(06-29-2020, 07:46 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Recipe for disaster?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-law-enforcement-police-budget-cuts-special-victims-bureau

What could possibly go wrong? 

(06-29-2020, 07:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: qenhjzdkikfnt2fptmaq.jpg]

Estimated to be 100-300 (I have seen varying amounts but all in that range) protestors.

At least it was peaceful. 

How are folks going to process the fact that Trump's "be hard on them" was probably the best advice? 

RE: Bad Boys II - BmorePat87 - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 03:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The family is harassed by having a group of angry protesters right outside their house.  What did the rest of her family do to warrant such an occurrence?

this doesn't raise it to the level that concerns me. I think public officials need thicker skin and a simple protest outside of their house should be an expected part of the job. 

Quote:I get what you're saying but I don't think it's hard to draw a line at all. Just because you're a public employee does not mean you should lose your right to be safe in your home. They want to protest the mayor, do it outside her place of business. I get in this instance she doxed people so they felt the need to respond in some sort of kind.

She wasn't inherently unsafe. I don't necessarily agree with the tit for tat, but I'm hesitant for adding restrictions to protests.

RE: Bad Boys II - TheLeonardLeap - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 08:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: this doesn't raise it to the level that concerns me. I think public officials need thicker skin and a simple protest outside of their house should be an expected part of the job. 

Strongly disagree.

Just because you are a public official doesn't mean your family/children should be free game to be targeted.

(06-29-2020, 07:46 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Recipe for disaster?

(06-29-2020, 08:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What could possibly go wrong? 

All while crime is rising for the first time period in over 25 years.

(06-29-2020, 08:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: this doesn't raise it to the level that concerns me. I think public officials need thicker skin and a simple protest outside of their house should be an expected part of the job.

Sorry, no.  Their family didn't sign up for that.  Also, I'm not just talking about public officials, I'm talking about protests outside of any private residence. 

Quote:She wasn't inherently unsafe. I don't necessarily agree with the tit for tat, but I'm hesitant for adding restrictions to protests.

No?  The same people who destroyed a wrought iron gate and were trespassing on private property should not have caused any concern for the occupants of the home in regards to their safety?  I assume you strongly disagree with the protesters breaking an entering into private property and then unlawfully trespassing and protesting there.

(06-29-2020, 08:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Strongly disagree.

Just because you are a public official doesn't mean your family/children should be free game to be targeted.

Exactly.  While I found the obnoxious actions of the people who yelled at Ted Cruz and his wife in a restaurant exactly that, obnoxious, he was in a public place.  In that regard I completely agree with Bmore, public figures have to understand that sometimes goes with the territory.  That's a far cry from people mobbing up outside your private residence.

(06-29-2020, 08:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sorry, no.  Their family didn't sign up for that.  Also, I'm not just talking about public officials, I'm talking about protests outside of any private residence. 

No?  The same people who destroyed a wrought iron gate and were trespassing on private property should not have caused any concern for the occupants of the home in regards to their safety?  I assume you strongly disagree with the protesters breaking an entering into private property and then unlawfully trespassing and protesting there.

Exactly.  While I found the obnoxious actions of the people who yelled at Ted Cruz and his wife in a restaurant exactly that, obnoxious, he was in a public place.  In that regard I completely agree with Bmore, public figures have to understand that sometimes goes with the territory.  That's a far cry from people mobbing up outside your private residence.

I already said to you in a response that they should be faulted for being on private property in this specific case. 

Speaking hypothetically, though, I don't think family is a shield for a lawful protest against a public official and for that reason I'm not suggesting that protestors shouldn't ever be able to protest in front of a politician's home.

(06-29-2020, 08:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Strongly disagree.

Agree 100%. As I've mentioned the Governor of my state and I disagree on many issues, but when folks protested outside of his kid's window, the last thing I said was "He should have thicker skin". 

(06-29-2020, 09:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I already said to you in a response that they should be faulted for being on private property in this specific case. 

Speaking hypothetically, though, I don't think family is a shield for a lawful protest against a public official and for that reason I'm not suggesting that protestors shouldn't ever be able to protest in front of a politician's home.

What about someone other than a politician?

(06-29-2020, 09:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What about someone other than a politician?

No, we both know there's a huge difference between a politician and a random person. 

RE: Bad Boys II - GMDino - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 09:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, we both know there's a huge difference between a politician and a random person. 

Isn't this much like bringing your kid to a protest?

If you don't want your family exposed to public criticism and protests don't run for office.  I mean no one EXPECTS they will have 100 people protesting in front of their home when the get elected but that's the chance you take.  Why put your kids in that kind of position?  Right?  Because t might not be your home but it might be when eating dinner or out for a walk or "bring your daughter to work day".

That's why I feel bad for the family of people in office much more than the elected official themselves...they better be all in on everything that comes with the job.

(06-29-2020, 09:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, we both know there's a huge difference between a politician and a random person. 

I'm pleased (honestly) that we agree on this.  Would you be in favor of a federal law banning protests outside the private residence of anyone other than a person holding an elected position?

(06-29-2020, 10:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm pleased (honestly) that we agree on this.  Would you be in favor of a federal law banning protests outside the private residence of anyone other than a person holding an elected position?

I doubt it would be constitutional, but I wouldn't be upset with it. 

(06-29-2020, 10:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I doubt it would be constitutional, but I wouldn't be upset with it. 

I can't see how it would.  The first amendment specifically states the right to peaceably assemble.  You're not peaceably assembling if you're terrorizing a family in their own home.