Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" (/Thread-Pollack-you%E2%80%99ve-still-gotta-kick-the-guy%E2%80%99s-ass)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Bengalholic - 05-23-2018

Cool read about Frank Pollack and the intensity / aggression he wants from his line:

“Last time I checked, in football you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass across from you. Nothin’s changed. You might be dissecting and looking at it as a chess match with the Xs and Os, but someone taught me a long time ago it’s the Johnnies and Joes, not the Xs and Os. You’ve got to be in position to play fast, be physical and dominate the opponent, the guy across from you.” 

“Broken down into those individual one on ones, football has not changed. I don’t care what we do to the rules, what we look to change, at the end of the day, it’s a physical, violent game,” Pollack said. "I’ve gotta defeat the guy across from me, so I take that approach. You’ve got to be mentally tough to do that. I could get a lot of drunk frat guys out here to just start fist fights, but that’s not football. That’s mentally weak, so I try everything I can to help develop that.” 

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - jj22 - 05-23-2018

I think we got Pollack too late as the new helmet rules won't allow for any of this aggression off the snap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/say-farewell-to-the-three-point-stance/

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - bengalfan74 - 05-23-2018

Nice read Holic, thanks for posting.

I'm so glad we've got a new O-line coach with a kick ass attitude ! All the finesse and dancing to classical music crap is great IF the right attitude is the core of the training which is to whup some ass. And it wasn't.

I still believe this is Ogbuehi's biggest problem, he doesn't have the aggressive streak in him.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - depthchart - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Cool read about Frank Pollack and the intensity / aggression he wants from his line:

“Last time I checked, in football you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass across from you. Nothin’s changed. You might be dissecting and looking at it as a chess match with the Xs and Os, but someone taught me a long time ago it’s the Johnnies and Joes, not the Xs and Os. You’ve got to be in position to play fast, be physical and dominate the opponent, the guy across from you.” 

“Broken down into those individual one on ones, football has not changed. I don’t care what we do to the rules, what we look to change, at the end of the day, it’s a physical, violent game,” Pollack said. "I’ve gotta defeat the guy across from me, so I take that approach. You’ve got to be mentally tough to do that. I could get a lot of drunk frat guys out here to just start fist fights, but that’s not football. That’s mentally weak, so I try everything I can to help develop that.” 

I doubt Paul Alexander thought this way.

Paul seems to have thought that he could take any Johnny or Joe and teach him his X's and O's once that Johnny or Joe proved he could put Ketchup on his Hamburger the smart way. Not hearing anything about 400,000 plus combinations of defenders or how to outsmart the defender by back pedaling.

I hope this Pollack mentality spills over into the types of players we Draft going forward and impacts how soon we try to replace a lineman that Pollack may see as not being able to dominate consistently.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Cool read about Frank Pollack and the intensity / aggression he wants from his line:

Man, i love this guy lmao! Hilarious

Seriously just cannot stress how much of a difference this guy is going to bring to the entire team.

Went from the Piano Man to Slayer. Smirk

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - ochocincos - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 12:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Nice read Holic, thanks for posting.

I'm so glad we've got a new O-line coach with a kick ass attitude ! All the finesse and dancing to classical music crap is great IF the right attitude is the core of the training which is to whup some ass. And it wasn't.

I still believe this is Ogbuehi's biggest problem, he doesn't have the aggressive streak in him.

Don't forget the ketchup bottle!

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - fredtoast - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  someone taught me a long time ago it’s the Johnnies and Joes, not the Xs and Os.

So schematic adjustments are meaningless?

Just a bunch of journalistic jargon?

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Bengalholic - 05-23-2018

Another article on Pollack and the line from Paul Dehner.

“I think we all were a little curious how it was going to go,” offensive lineman Christian Westerman said. “We are moving guys and running. Aggressive, smashmouth football.”

“I told them Day 1 everyone here has a clean slate,” Pollack said. “What you have done in the past is really irrelevant to me … You can go from the penthouse to outhouse real quick. Hopefully, you go from the outhouse to penthouse just as fast, but it takes a lot of work.”

“The system is different and at the same time a lot of the drills and techniques and things we are learning are a lot different,” Boling said. “It doesn’t matter if you have been here and played before or are new guy, everybody is learning together.”

“Pollack made it very clear,” last year’s starting right guard Trey Hopkins said, “this is just where you are starting. This is just how we are lining up today. It does not matter. He’s been very explicit about that sort of thing. Don’t cut yourself and don’t also feel like you are the starter.”

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Wyche'sWarrior - 05-23-2018

Well, this sure is a welcomed fresh approach.  As I've always said, even if you get beat, hit some-damn-body with the wrong colors on!  Instead of standing around watching your QB and RBs get murdered like our former handpicked LT is prone to do.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 02:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Another article on Pollack and the line from Paul Dehner.

“I think we all were a little curious how it was going to go,” offensive lineman Christian Westerman said. “We are moving guys and running. Aggressive, smashmouth football.”

“I told them Day 1 everyone here has a clean slate,” Pollack said. “What you have done in the past is really irrelevant to me … You can go from the penthouse to outhouse real quick. Hopefully, you go from the outhouse to penthouse just as fast, but it takes a lot of work.”

“The system is different and at the same time a lot of the drills and techniques and things we are learning are a lot different,” Boling said. “It doesn’t matter if you have been here and played before or are new guy, everybody is learning together.”

“Pollack made it very clear,” last year’s starting right guard Trey Hopkins said, “this is just where you are starting. This is just how we are lining up today. It does not matter. He’s been very explicit about that sort of thing. Don’t cut yourself and don’t also feel like you are the starter.”

Exact opposite of having favorites, let the best man win, love this stuff. Cool

This is the type of coaching that brings the best out of everyone. Breeds excellence.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - depthchart - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So schematic adjustments are meaningless?

Just a bunch of journalistic jargon?

Pollack is using old Football speak to send a message to his players and others that he expects them to dig deep to win the brutal physical matchup against the guy across from them. A battle of Will that Johnny and Joe have to work for. Ultimately decided by the guys on the field.

Each guy will be taught X's and O's which will only take them so far. The rest is up to them.

I know this is Foreign to you, since you are a Paul Alexander disciple and Paul believed in his own ability to find a random Johnny or Joe and then provide them with a Ketchup bottle to open. Once they passed the Ketchup test, then it wasn't the Johnnies or Joes but rather the wisdom of the O-line Coach that imparted the X's and O's on Johnny or Joe who would succeed only if they listened intently to the Paul.

Paul would stick with his hand picked Johnny or Joe even if they were getting spanked by the other team's Jims because Paul would dig in his heels to prove himself right about that mid round soon to be Gem.

Paul's knowledge of X's and O's could Will his hand picked Johnnies or Joes to success by their mere fortune of having him as their O-line Coach imparting his wisdom after first recognizing the unseen diamond in the rough that only he could see.

Meanwhile, Pollack's approach is looking to be refreshingly different with an Old School twist.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - HarleyDog - 05-23-2018

This gets me even more excited than I already am. When you read between the lines he is really bringing this team together and creating a machine. Much different than the weekly minion reunion we are used to seeing on the field. Holy Cow I'm friggen stoked right now!

(05-23-2018, 02:46 PM)depthchart Wrote: Pollack is using old Football speak to send a message to his players and others that he expects them to dig deep to win the brutal physical matchup against the guy across from them. A battle of Will that Johnny and Joe have to work for. Ultimately decided by the guys on the field.

Each guy will be taught X's and O's which will only take them so far. The rest is up to them.

I know this is Foreign to you, since you are a Paul Alexander disciple and Paul believed in his own ability to find a random Johnny or Joe and then provide them with a Ketchup bottle to open. Once they passed the Ketchup test, then it wasn't the Johnnies or Joes but rather the wisdom of the O-line Coach that imparted the X's and O's on Johnny or Joe who would succeed only if they listened intently to the Paul.

Paul would stick with his hand picked Johnny or Joe even if they were getting spanked by the other team's Jims because Paul would dig in his heels to prove himself right about that mid round soon to be Gem.

Paul's knowledge of X's and O's could Will his hand picked Johnnies or Joes to success by their mere fortune of having him as their O-line Coach imparting his wisdom after first recognizing the unseen diamond in the rough that only he could see.

Meanwhile, Pollack's approach is looking to be refreshingly different with an Old School twist.

ThumbsUp

(05-23-2018, 03:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This gets me even more excited than I already am. When you read between the lines he is really bringing this team together and creating a machine. Much different than the weekly minion reunion we are used to seeing on the field. Holy Cow I'm friggen stoked right now!

Harley's tail is waggin'!

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - sandwedge - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 02:46 PM)depthchart Wrote: Pollack is using old Football speak to send a message to his players and others that he expects them to dig deep to win the brutal physical matchup against the guy across from them. A battle of Will that Johnny and Joe have to work for. Ultimately decided by the guys on the field.

Exactly! My old coach, many decades ago used to tell us, "I can only coach you, the rest is up to you" or "You might lose a battle here and there, but you had better win the war or you will be standing beside me over here"... Those 2 lines have served me well my entire life. Pollack has me believing the line will kick ass this season!!

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - sandwedge - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 12:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, i love this guy lmao! Hilarious

Seriously just cannot stress how much of a difference this guy is going to bring to the entire team.

Went from the Piano Man to Slayer. Smirk

Hell ya Nate, me too!!

(05-23-2018, 04:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Exactly! My old coach, many decades ago used to tell us, "I can only coach you, the rest is up to you" or "You might lose a battle here and there, but you had better win the war or you will be standing beside me over here"... Those 2 lines have served me well my entire life. Pollack has me believing the line will kick ass this season!!

(05-23-2018, 04:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Hell ya Nate, me too!!

Rock on Wedge. Rock On

Everyone is playing for their jobs under this guy and it also says in these pieces that the line is not set, not even the
formations. For all we know it could look like this....

Glenn - Boling - Price - Redmond - Fisher or like this...

Glenn - Westerman - Price - Boling - Hart or like this...

Glenn - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Boling

Let the best man win, i see no reason that Boling could not play RT either in a pinch after playing LT in the last game
so well against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in Suggs. Pollack seems open to any option and i have trust
that he will put the best O-line out there.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - SunsetBengal - 05-23-2018

Whenever I read anything that Coach Pollack says, it gets me inspired.

"You've still got to kick the guy's ass" It doesn't get any more fundamental than that. And he's right. The best planned scheme in the world won't mean a thing, if you can't execute the basics to perfection.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - fredtoast - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rock on Wedge. Rock On

Everyone is playing for their jobs under this guy and it also says in these pieces that the line is not set, not even the
formations. For all we know it could look like this....

Glenn - Boling - Price - Redmond - Fisher or like this...

Glenn - Westerman - Price - Boling - Hart or like this...

Glenn - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Boling

Let the best man win, i see no reason that Boling could not play RT either in a pinch after playing LT in the last game
so well against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in Suggs. Pollack seems open to any option and i have trust
that he will put the best O-line out there.

I think Hopkins starts over Redmond

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Luvnit2 - 05-23-2018

I like he is giving all a fresh start, whether you started and played well or did not, he is treating them as equals. As fans, we have a tendency to root for some players to be cut versus root for them to get better to help the team succeed. They old whipping boys on this board may get cut, but if not maybe just maybe that means they got better if we trust the mew guy deciding their fate.

RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Luvnit2 - 05-23-2018

(05-23-2018, 07:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Hopkins starts over Redmond

According to interviews, it appears our OL coach is refusing to label anyone starter or scrub just yet.

I love it, make them compete every step of the way and earn their roster spot and playing time.