Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I'm a fruitarian - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: I'm a fruitarian (/Thread-I-m-a-fruitarian)

Pages: 1 2

I'm a fruitarian - grampahol - 06-27-2018

I love fresh fruit, even canned fruit when fresh isn't available, but I've noticed everyone else in the house who claims to like fruit will wait till it rots either in the  fridge or on the shelf or blame me for eating it before they get a chance to let it rot.. I'll often make fresh fruit my primary meal for the day  .. 
So anyway ,this hasn't been a great year for fruit. There's plenty available ,but unless it's a dry season fresh fruit becomes water logged and not very sweet. Dry seasons concentrate the flavors much more. ..just for those who believe more rain makes for better fruit crops. It doesn't. It becomes more bland and mushy.. 

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Beaker - 06-27-2018

We always knew you were fruity.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Go Cards - 06-28-2018

(06-27-2018, 08:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: We always knew you were fruity.

Think you beat the entire forum to it.  Ninja

RE: I'm a fruitarian - HarleyDog - 06-28-2018

Here, Have a tomato.

[Image: c4225e2c9b2e819cf812138dac170f15.jpg]

RE: I'm a fruitarian - fredtoast - 06-28-2018

Grampahol is right about too much water. I grow watermelons and cantaloupes in my garden. If you water them more they might get bigger but the drier the weather the sweeter the fruit. Not sure of the science behind this, but it is true.

BTW when was the last time anyone bought a good fresh peach. Even when they are in season all Ican find are the hard ones that I suppose are easier to ship, but they just don't taste like peaches used too. last year I bought some peaches that swiveled up like apples instead of going soft and rotting like real peaches. Even the roadside stands don't seem to have good peaches. I guess the hard ones are all they grow now.

My favorite fruit is dark sweet cherries. when I was a kid we used to go on vacation every year to Canada. They grew cherries there and they were really cheap. Since it was vacation my parents would let me eat nothing but cherries for a meal if that is what I wanted. I would eat so many I would have diarrhea that was the color of cherries.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - XenoMorph - 06-28-2018

I like to keep fruit in my fridge till it starts to rott...

Then it reminds me not to waste my money on fruit.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - michaelsean - 06-28-2018

(06-28-2018, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Grampahol is right about too much water.  I grow watermelons and cantaloupes in my garden.  If you water them more they might get bigger but the drier the weather the sweeter the fruit.  Not sure of the science behind this, but it is true.

BTW when was the last time anyone bought a good fresh peach.   Even when they are in season all Ican find are the hard ones that I suppose are easier to ship, but they just don't taste like peaches used too.  last year I bought some peaches that swiveled up like apples instead of going soft and rotting like real peaches.  Even the roadside stands don't seem to have good peaches.  I guess the hard ones are all they grow now.

My favorite fruit is dark sweet cherries.  when I was a kid we used to go on vacation every year to Canada.  They grew cherries there and they were really cheap.  Since it was vacation my parents would let me eat nothing but cherries for a meal if that is what I wanted.  I would eat so many I would have diarrhea that was the color of cherries.

Cherries this year have been tasteless.  I found out the hard way about cherries when I ate an entire bag of dried ones.  Had no idea of the consequences of that.  We are talking horrible gas pains, and I swear 30 second farts.  

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Millhouse - 06-28-2018

Ive noticed that strawberries this year, mainly from California, have been less flavorful and bland. Unfortunately I didnt get any local ones when they were in season last month, but the ones at Krogers and Meiers just arent that good imo.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - fredtoast - 06-28-2018

(06-28-2018, 03:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote:   Cherries this year have been tasteless. 

I just this week got what I consider good cherries.

When they are not in season they are flavorless.  I guess they have to come from farther away so they are picked green.  Or else they are another example of a strain developed to ship better than taste.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - bfine32 - 06-28-2018

Isn't a fruitarian a white homosexual?

RE: I'm a fruitarian - grampahol - 06-28-2018

Well I took the risk of mentioning fruit and accept the nonsense some people just have to attempt to tie it into my sexual preferences. .. I'm not saying it's childish nonsense, but quit being a bunch of babies about it.  lol
For the first time in a few years we've gotten some really good honey dew melons. Cantaloupes have been a bit tasteless.
The first batch of peaches were hard and didn't ripen, but the last batch were great . Here in SC peaches are generally pretty good except last year when the late frost pretty much ruined the crop.. We have a short season for really good peaches then the green ones start showing up and it's over . 
I remember years ago hitch hiking and getting dropped off in the middle of the peach season so I got work picking them.. I don't know how many of you have ever worked as a picker, but it's hard work . I still enjoyed the time with different migrants around the country picking produce..Everyone ought to take at least one season to work picking crops...It'll give you an appreciation for just how tough it is for the people who keep our dinner tables full  

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Go Cards - 06-29-2018

People always water tomato's too much and neglect to realize they are pulling water out of the humid air.

So in this region it may seem dryer but the plant can pull water from the humidity itself.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Go Cards - 06-29-2018

Yet always found the moister the berry, the sweeter the fruit !

RE: I'm a fruitarian - SunsetBengal - 06-29-2018

You know what they say. Be fruity and do multiplication.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - fredtoast - 06-29-2018

(06-28-2018, 11:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: For the first time in a few years we've gotten some really good honey dew melons. Cantaloupes have been a bit tasteless.

I prefer hone dew to cantaloupe just like I prefer the more tart apples over the sweeter ones.  But everyone else in my family likes cantaloupes so that is what I grow.

(06-28-2018, 11:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: I remember years ago hitch hiking and getting dropped off in the middle of the peach season so I got work picking them.. I don't know how many of you have ever worked as a picker, but it's hard work . I still enjoyed the time with different migrants around the country picking produce..Everyone ought to take at least one season to work picking crops...It'll give you an appreciation for just how tough it is for the people who keep our dinner tables full  

My father left his home in backwoods Kentucky when he was 14 years old (1942) to harvest potatoes in Idaho.  Before that he had never been more than 20 miles from his home, but he never lived at home after that.

Back in the 1950's and 60's everyone was leaving the farms in the south and getting jobs in factories up north.  They could usually find a job within days.  I had an uncle who left home with nothing and lived in an apple orchard outside Detroit for a couple of weeks before he found a job and got paid.  Said he got so sick of apples that he didn't eat another one for years.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - PhilHos - 06-29-2018

Is mayonnaise a fruit?

RE: I'm a fruitarian - bfine32 - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is mayonnaise a fruit?

Nope. He was tagging the girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Foley did whump that ass though.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - HarleyDog - 06-29-2018

(06-28-2018, 08:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Isn't a fruitarian a white homosexual?

No. It's a professional homosexual who does it for money.

Edit: But I think Gramps does not qualify as a fruitarian. He just likes fruit?

Whew, avoided a ban there! ThumbsUp

RE: I'm a fruitarian - michaelsean - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is mayonnaise a fruit?

No and it’s not an instrument either.

RE: I'm a fruitarian - Bengalzona - 06-29-2018

We love fruit in our house as well. Bananas, apples, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, black berries... you name it.

It is one of the driest summers on record here in the Southwest. But the strawberries we have had the past couple of weeks have been the best I have ever tasted! ThumbsUp