Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Yeah, I'm going there... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Yeah, I'm going there... (/Thread-Yeah-I-m-going-there)

Pages: 1 2 3

Yeah, I'm going there... - Bengalholic - 07-22-2018

I'm predicting that the Bengals finally get their 1st playoff win in almost 3 decades.

Anyone who's ever read any of my posts during 6+ years in this community knows that I don't have a lot of confidence in Marvin Lewis or his coaching staffs when it comes to high pressure games and situations. However, I honestly feel like that is going to change this year. 

I think Lazor is going to truly put his stamp on this offense, and really scheme to player's strengths and individual skill sets.

I think the addition of Pollack is going to pay huge dividends because his style challenges lineman to be aggressive and extremely physical, and I think they are going to feed off that energy and as the year progresses...will be flat out kicking some ass.

Alex Van Pelt is another new addition to the staff that is going to be getting major kudos at year's end. Having worked closely with McCarthy / Rodgers, as well as a few years with Tom Clements...I think he brings a lot of knowledge to the table, and Andy will benefit in a big way.

I like the hiring of Austin as DC as well, and think he could reach a completely different level in his coaching career here in Cincy, much like Zimmer achieved after his solid run in Dallas and rocky year in Atlanta.

I think these coaches all help Marvin to elevate his own game. Marvin has been here for a long damn time, and I think if he's was brutally honest, he would admit that even he needs a renewed fire lit under his ass. 

As for the players, I feel like Andy and AJ are both going to have HUGE years on offense. I also think that young guys like Kroft, Mixon and Ross are going to have a very big impact as the year goes on.

On defense, I like that fact that the Bengals seem to once again be developing a potentially havoc-wrecking d-line rotation with the additions over the past couple of years. If both Atkins and Dunlap can maintain their high level of play, this group is going to be very interesting to watch. 

I also feel like the secondary is going to have a big year under Austin's scheme. I think WJIII cements himself as a top 5 corner in the NFL, and Jessie Bates will have an important impact during the second half of the season. 

All in all, I just feel like there's something special brewing this season. There's a good mixture of established players, and some potentially very exciting young players, as well as new voices / perspectives on the staff. Of course, there are a few if's and question marks involved, but what team doesn't have those right now? 

I just really believe that if this team can stay relatively healthy...that this will finally be the year that we finally see a playoff win. I could wind up looking like a complete fool for making this prediction, but it's a prediction I haven't made since 2005 and I'm feeling really confident that it's going to happen.

Let me know if you agree, or if you think I'm bonkers.  Smirk

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - HarleyDog - 07-22-2018

Your not bonkers at all. I feel the same excitement. I can't wait till preseason to watch some of these players start filling their roles. We are busting at the seams at talent, and when those seams let lose, the NFL will have a serious SB contender in their presence. Not everyone will agree but rightfully so. People who doubt have solid reasons to do so. I'm not really in the doubt category. Marvin is really the only concern but if he let's the OC and DC do their jobs? Wow, we could finally say goodbye to safe football and witness a gnashing of teeth, blood thirsty team who will do what it takes to win.

Am I excited? You bet - the shit is about to get real for this franchise.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - RASCAL - 07-22-2018

I say the same thing..................................................................every year!

I guess this year will be no different.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - fredtoast - 07-22-2018

I did not read all pf the long posts.

I predict the bengals will win a playoff game based strictly on statistical probabilities. Marvin is such an anomaly. No coach has never been good enough to make it to the playoffs as often as Marvin without winning a single one.

So I believe that the odds are on our side.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - SunsetBengal - 07-22-2018

I'll concur that this year the Bengals win a playoff game. From a feasibility standpoint, all of the necessary parts are there. They have addressed virtually every area of player weakness, time will tell if the replacements are more productive. The biggest thing, aside from the obvious coaching and philosophical changes, has to be a change in overall attitude. Hopefully Mike Brown has done enough at the top to show that he wants a winner, and the attitude resonates throughout the entire organization.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Steve - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm predicting that the Bengals finally get their 1st playoff win in almost 3 decades.

Anyone who's ever read any of my posts during 6+ years in this community knows that I don't have a lot of confidence in Marvin Lewis or his coaching staffs when it comes to high pressure games and situations. However, I honestly feel like that is going to change this year. 

I think Lazor is going to truly put his stamp on this offense, and really scheme to player's strengths and individual skill sets.

I think the addition of Pollack is going to pay huge dividends because his style challenges lineman to be aggressive and extremely physical, and I think they are going to feed off that energy and as the year progresses...will be flat out kicking some ass.

Alex Van Pelt is another new addition to the staff that is going to be getting major kudos at year's end. Having worked closely with McCarthy / Rodgers, as well as a few years with Tom Clements...I think he brings a lot of knowledge to the table, and Andy will benefit in a big way.

I like the hiring of Austin as DC as well, and think he could reach a completely different level in his coaching career here in Cincy, much like Zimmer achieved after his solid run in Dallas and rocky year in Atlanta.

I think these coaches all help Marvin to elevate his own game. Marvin has been here for a long damn time, and I think if he's was brutally honest, he would admit that even he needs a renewed fire lit under his ass. 

As for the players, I feel like Andy and AJ are both going to have HUGE years on offense. I also think that young guys like Kroft, Mixon and Ross are going to have a very big impact as the year goes on.

On defense, I like that fact that the Bengals seem to once again be developing a potentially havoc-wrecking d-line rotation with the additions over the past couple of years. If both Atkins and Dunlap can maintain their high level of play, this group is going to be very interesting to watch. 

I also feel like the secondary is going to have a big year under Austin's scheme. I think WJIII cements himself as a top 5 corner in the NFL, and Jessie Bates will have an important impact during the second half of the season. 

All in all, I just feel like there's something special brewing this season. There's a good mixture of established players, and some potentially very exciting young players, as well as new voices / perspectives on the staff. Of course, there are a few if's and question marks involved, but what team doesn't have those right now? 

I just really believe that if this team can stay relatively healthy...that this will finally be the year that we finally see a playoff win. I could wind up looking like a complete fool for making this prediction, but it's a prediction I haven't made since 2005 and I'm feeling really confident that it's going to happen.

if we're good enough to win the AFC NORTH this yr....

we're good enough to win the S.B.

& that's my call right now....12-4  & AFC Champs
AFC conference champs...
& S.B winner...

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Pat5775 - 07-22-2018

Marvin has won what, something like 8 primetime games in 34 tries? If he coached 34 playoff games his results would likely be similar. One would think that the law of averages catches up with Marv at some point and he ups his playoff record to a staggering 1-7 Ninja So it's not impossible...

With that being said, I just don't see it happening. I've seen every single playoff game under Marv and aside from a depleted Pittsburgh team in January 2016, it's never been close (but oh what could have been if we had Palmer on January 8, 2006 Cry ). The teams have played scared and have played not to lose. A staple of Marvin Lewis. He doesn't seem to understand playing timid almost always results in disaster. It's entirely possible he'll luck into a playoff win at some point, but he will likely never go on a playoff run to the super bowl. 

I would be beyond ecstatic if he proves me wrong, but if I'm a betting man... I'm betting against Marvin in the playoffs every single time.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Nicomo Cosca - 07-22-2018

I wish I was as confident as some of you...

I do think they’ll be much better, hopefully double digit wins and maybe a WC. A deep playoff run and a SB win just seems unfathomable to me though.

Even a single playoff win would go a long way as far as getting the monkey of the backs of Marvin and Dalton.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - McC - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm predicting that the Bengals finally get their 1st playoff win in almost 3 decades.

All the things I'm thinking but haven't mustered the nerve to say out loud.  

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Pat5775 - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 05:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish I was as confident as some of you...

I do think they’ll be much better, hopefully double digit wins and maybe a WC. A deep playoff run and a SB win just seems unfathomable to me though.

Even a single playoff win would go a long way as far as getting the monkey of the backs of Marvin and Dalton.

You see, for me, even if they do get that elusive playoff win... It won't be like them "getting the monkey off their backs". It will be more like they got lucky and it won't ever happen again.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be negative. It's just the reality of the situation IMO. I have absolutely no faith in Marv to get us anywhere past the wild card round. It's been 15 years, and there's very little evidence he's capable of going on a championship run (and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary). Hiring Marvin back last January was unforgivable and unforgettable. Yes, the hiring of Van Pelt and Pollack were nice and all, as was the signings of Cordy Glenn and letting Bodine walk to the Bills. But we can't forget that Marv is still the captain of this ship. Things may be better, but I doubt they will change. 

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Bengalholic - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 05:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: You see, for me, even if they do get that elusive playoff win... It won't be like them "getting the monkey off their backs". It will be more like they got lucky and it won't ever happen again.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be negative. It's just the reality of the situation IMO. I have absolutely no faith in Marv to get us anywhere past the wild card round. It's been 15 years, and there's very little evidence he's capable of going on a championship run (and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary). Hiring Marvin back last January was unforgivable and unforgettable. Yes, the hiring of Van Pelt and Pollack were nice and all, as was the signings of Cordy Glenn and letting Bodine walk to the Bills. But we can't forget that Marv is still the captain of this ship. Things may be better, but I doubt they will change. 

I can't disagree with anything you've said here. Hell, I've been saying pretty much the same thing for years now. 

While this the most confident I've been in a Bengals team since '05, I can completely understand why others wouldn't share my optimism.

I shared many of the reasons for that confidence in my OP, but basically, things just have a different feel right now, IMO. I think you can see and hear it from the staff and players as well. It feels like everyone is incredibly hungry this year. Of course, that has to actually translate to the field and especially big game and pressure situations for it to mean anything.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Millhouse - 07-22-2018

[Image: latest?cb=20160815223207]

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Nately120 - 07-22-2018

I just want to not get swept by the Steelers this year.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - bengalfan74 - 07-22-2018

My heart is trying hard to believe. My head is saying "come on you know how this ends"

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Nebuchadnezzar - 07-22-2018

I just can't get to where I have any confidence in this team no matter what they do in the off season as long as Marvin Lewis is Head Coach and Mike Brown is the Owner, I have been let down too many times by this team.

I know it's my own fault for believing in this team.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe by my not believing in this team it will put some kind of reverse VooDoo and they will win it all, lol.

If that happens, never expect an optimistic post from me ever again. I will gladly be the "Debbie Downer" if the Bengals win Super Bowls.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - HarleyDog - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 08:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My heart is trying hard to believe. My head is saying "come on you know how this ends"

(07-22-2018, 08:34 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I just can't get to where I have any confidence in this team no matter what they do in the off season as long as Marvin Lewis is Head Coach and Mike Brown is the Owner, I have been let down too many times by this team.

I know it's my own fault for believing in this team.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe by my not believing in this team it will put some kind of reverse VooDoo and they will win it all, lol.

If that happens, never expect an optimistic post from me ever again. I will gladly be the "Debbie Downer" if the Bengals win Super Bowls.

[Image: giphy-tumblr.gif]

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Nebuchadnezzar - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 09:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: giphy-tumblr.gif]

Im thinking of the short story "Satan and Sam Shay"

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Go Cards - 07-22-2018

Believe the Bengals are headed in right direction for a change as well.

Think this year Bengals are much improved and if all the new components gel we are in for a fun year and get that playoff win to boot.

But think the Bengals kick the damn door down next season for sure.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - Shake n Blake - 07-22-2018

Loved the Pollack hire
Love the additions of Glenn and Price
Love that Lazor is scrapping that frankenstein playbook (I've been big on Lazor when most weren't)
Love that Ross is healthy and we're hearing only positives about him

But...

[Image: DD8RmYuj_400x400.jpg]

15 years of failure on the big stage, no matter what promising players or coaches are with him makes it hard for me to get on the hype train for try #16.

RE: Yeah, I'm going there... - GodFather - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 10:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Loved the Pollack hire
Love the additions of Glenn and Price
Love that Lazor is scrapping that frankenstein playbook (I've been big on Lazor when most weren't)
Love that Ross is healthy and we're hearing only positives about him

But...

[Image: DD8RmYuj_400x400.jpg]

15 years of failure on the big stage, no matter what promising players or coaches are with him makes it hard for me to get on the hype train for try #16.

What Shake said...