Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Who remembers THE onside kick? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Who remembers THE onside kick? (/Thread-Who-remembers-THE-onside-kick)

Who remembers THE onside kick? - Joelist - 08-27-2018

As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

Say what you will but Sam Wyche knew how to motivate. Remember:

“You don’t live in Cleveland!”

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - BengalChris - 08-28-2018

(08-27-2018, 08:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

Oh, that was funny!

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - Daddy-O - 08-28-2018

(08-27-2018, 08:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

I remember those old AFC Central black and bluer division days.  Wyche, Shottenheimer, Noll and Glanville.  Those teams all hated each other.

Another thing about that Oiler game i remember:  The media asked Sam after the game if he had any regrets in regards to kicking that late filed goal to make the score I think was 61 - 7.  He said "Yes, he regretted there wasn't a few more seconds on the clock so they could score more!"

Classic Sam Wyche.

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - grampahol - 08-28-2018

But, but,  but Marvin doesn't believe in hurting other teams feelings..  Personally I'm in favor of it except for the fact that it often comes back to bite us in the..uhh..ankles.. Yeah, that's it. Ankles. . 

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-28-2018

I sure do.....love Sammy.

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - CJD - 08-28-2018

Sounds like the kind of coach I would have loved to watch.

(08-28-2018, 10:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sounds like the kind of coach I would have loved to watch.

It was never dull.....that's for sure.

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - jason - 08-28-2018

(08-28-2018, 10:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: But, but,  but Marvin doesn't believe in hurting other teams feelings..  Personally I'm in favor of it except for the fact that it often comes back to bite us in the..uhh..ankles.. Yeah, that's it. Ankles. . 

It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - grampahol - 08-28-2018

(08-28-2018, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.

Hey, the 90s were great. I got my first DUI in the 90s during football season in fact.    
Yeah, I see your point . Lol

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - Au165 - 08-28-2018

It sounds like the kind of coach that gets someone hurt with a dirty shot for running up the score...

RE: Who remembers THE onside kick? - Bengalitis - 08-28-2018

A time when we could actually dictate a game how and when we wanted.

(08-28-2018, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.

That's when Son of Paul took the reins and unceremoniously fired Wyche too..... Cool