Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not give Carson a shot? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not give Carson a shot? (/Thread-Why-not-give-Carson-a-shot)

Pages: 1 2

Why not give Carson a shot? - magikod - 09-14-2018

I know they like Gio, but we need a bruiser to run up the middle if Mixon is out.

Thoughts?

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - Au165 - 09-14-2018

Probably can't pass protect up to the standards they wan't compared to Gio.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - fredtoast - 09-14-2018

If Mixon is out I am sure they will give him some carries.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - magikod - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 04:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Probably can't pass protect up to the standards they wan't compared to Gio.

prob right never thought of that. still stupid to see gio run up the middle for 2 yrds.

(09-14-2018, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Mixon is out I am sure they will give him some carries.

I'm hoping so, he looks like a bruiser. 

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - thillan - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 04:51 PM)magikod Wrote: prob right never thought of that. still stupid to see gio run up the middle for 2 yrds.

What's wrong with Gio though? Minus injury risk, he's been an explosive player his whole time here. He's a GREAT "backup" running back. 

I like the way our backfield is now. 

(09-14-2018, 04:51 PM)magikod Wrote: prob right never thought of that. still stupid to see gio run up the middle for 2 yrds.

Jerome Bettis wasn't running up the middle with no holes. The couple times Gio tried to go up the middle it wasn't really an issue of not being physical enough there was simply nowhere to go. He has done fine in the past powering up the middle for 5 or 6 yards if there was a slight seam to get past the line.  

Is it stupid when he gains 9 yds?

Smaller quicker RBs can actually be quite effective running between the tackles because they can hit the hole quicker than big backs.  They just can't do it 15+ times a game like bigger backs.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - grampahol - 09-14-2018

I almost forgot about Tre Carson and was thinking Palmer and 'really? Bring him out of retirement to be a running back even after he quit on us? '  Hurricane Florence must be affecting my memory.  Lol..  By the way, it's just about a 30 minute drive away from us now. It's gonna get hairy here in a few hours for a day or so   ..
For everyone else in the path, north and south Carolina stay safe and dry..  I know I ain't the only one down this away.. 

Looks like you may get to find out as the word is Mixon will Ned a scope on his knee.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - Jhowdy54 - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looks like you may get to find out as the word is Mixon will Ned a scope on his knee.

Man that sucks.   Guessing that's 3-4 weeks to heal.   Levi Jones played right away but he's a lineman and we absolutely needed him for a playoff push.   They'll take extreme caution with Mixon

(09-14-2018, 05:46 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Man that sucks.   Guessing that's 3-4 weeks to heal.   Levi Jones played right away but he's a lineman and we absolutely needed him for a playoff push.   They'll take extreme caution with Mixon

They are saying two weeks so not too bad.

Walton has been held out of the previous two games with a shoulder injury and it is uncertain if he will be available for Week 3 against the Panthers

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - NATI BENGALS - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Walton has been held out of the previous two games with a shoulder injury and it is uncertain if he will be available for Week 3 against the Panthers

I dont remember reading about Walton missing practice

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - NATI BENGALS - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:46 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Man that sucks.   Guessing that's 3-4 weeks to heal.   Levi Jones played right away but he's a lineman and we absolutely needed him for a playoff push.   They'll take extreme caution with Mixon

We need to baby this Mixon injury imo. 

Levi ended up having an injury shortened career. Was it knee related?

Last time i remember hearing about a quick come back from arthroscopic on the knee for a Bengal was Burfict.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11785004/vontaze-burfict-cincinnati-bengals-likely-miss-2-games-undergoing-arthroscopic-knee-surgery

He needed microfracture surgery after that season...

Gio is super solid. Tre has always looked good. W
And we used a valuable pick for a guy who was supposedly great value.

Sucks. We could use Mixon. But its a long season. Let it get right

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - EatonFan - 09-15-2018

Mixon is having his knee scoped. He'll be out for a few weeks it appears. Carson, Gio, Walton need to step up.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - jfkbengals - 09-15-2018

(09-14-2018, 06:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: They are saying two weeks so not too bad.

The reports say that is an assumption from what they could see from the MRI, but they will not no how much time he will miss until the doctor actually gets inside his knee to remove the particle and fix any damage; and on his bodies healing response.

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - Bengalitis - 09-15-2018

Should have kept Brian Hill. Smack

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - SunsetBengal - 09-15-2018

(09-14-2018, 04:45 PM)magikod Wrote: I know they like Gio, but we need a bruiser to run up the middle if Mixon is out.

Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of using certain players only for specific duties.  Not only does it limit the play calling when that player is in the game, but it's a huge tip off to the defense as to what is coming.

Gio Bernard has shown that he can run it up the gut, with the best of them, when the holes are there.  The interior OL has been getting pretty good movement, a luxury that we haven't enjoyed for a while.  

I'm sure that Carson will get his share of snaps, and I have been curious to see what he does with the 1s.  His snap count will likely be as high as his ability to block, rather than his ability to carry the ball.  Walton, I'm a little worried about.  He didn't show much in preseason, and now I'm reading that he's nursing a shoulder injury.  Shoulder injuries and RBs don't suit well together..

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - fredtoast - 09-15-2018

(09-15-2018, 10:37 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Should have kept Brian Hill. Smack

Instead of who and why?

RE: Why not give Carson a shot? - jorev5 - 09-15-2018

(09-14-2018, 05:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I almost forgot about Tre Carson and was thinking Palmer and 'really? Bring him out of retirement to be a running back even after he quit on us? '  Hurricane Florence must be affecting my memory.  Lol..  By the way, it's just about a 30 minute drive away from us now. It's gonna get hairy here in a few hours for a day or so   ..
For everyone else in the path, north and south Carolina stay safe and dry..  I know I ain't the only one down this away.. 

haha same here.  Was thinking Palmer for back up qb.  I just woke up.