Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit (/Thread-Lets-take-a-moment-and-give-ML-some-credit)

Pages: 1 2

Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Hoofhearted - 10-08-2018

Marv is a polarizing figure around here. We don't need a history lesson with this post, but to point out this year there's something entirely different about the coaches and players.

They seem to have bought what ML is selling. They're playing hard and not giving up.

One of the biggest flaws ML has been accused of is halftime adjustments.

Guess what? That's changed. The Bengals are 3-51 under ML when trailing my more than 10 point in the 4th quarter. The Bengals have been trailing at some point in the fourth quarter 3 of the last 4 times. Last year, they've scored 68 points in the 4th quarter. So far this year, that number is 56.

His (lame) mantras may have hit home this year (Strain to finish).

Congrats, Marv. Keep up the good work.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - bengalfan74 - 10-08-2018

It's hard with all the history around here to believe that ML has had anything to do with the 2nd half turnarounds that have happened this season. I did a thread a year and a half or so ago about how bad overall we've been outplayed, outcoached, outscored, and generally smacked down in the 2nd half so much it's not even funny, and we have.

But there's so many layers to this onion known as the Bengals it's an onion the size of your backyard ! I don't want to get deep into the layers so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and say Great job Marv !

:andy: :andy: :andy:

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - GreenCornBengal - 10-08-2018

I tend to believe that Marvin is more of a spokesman at this point in his career. The coordinators are the real 'owners' of how this team performs on Sunday. Kudos to Marv for bringing in great coordinators.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Hoofhearted - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 09:37 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I tend to believe that Marvin is more of a spokesman at this point in his career. The coordinators are the real 'owners' of how this team performs on Sunday. Kudos to Marv for bringing in great coordinators.

And that's how it should be. That's probably his lesson learned from previous years.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Tiger Teeth - 10-08-2018

Well there's no denying something's been going on in that locker room at halftime. And the players are buying into it. Guys were standing on the bench encouraging the fans, and they responded, too.

If Marv is responsible, then maybe things have changed.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Pat5775 - 10-08-2018

Sad to say, I still feel much better when trailing at the half over having a big lead. Seems as if this team always finds a way to let opponents crawl back into the game with a a big lead  (see this years Thursday night game against Baltimore and the last two home games against the Steelers) . But when we're trailing, we always seem to at least make it interesting (especially over this recent stretch).

I guess trailing forces Marv to play to win vs sitting on a lead and playing not to lose. 

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Synric - 10-08-2018

Marvin might not be one of the innovative or creative systematic coaches like Andy Reid, Sean Payton, or Sean McVay, but what he does well is build good football teams.

The Bengals are one of the best scouting and drafting teams in the NFL if not THE best. To start the 2018 NFL season the Bengals had 58 drafted players on NFL rosters most in the NFL. The next team was the Ravens with 45 (almost 2 full drafts less). Cincy had 20 more than the league average almost 3 full draft.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - basballguy - 10-08-2018

not buying it at all.....this team's performance has nothing to do with ML and everything to do with themselves. They are rallying around each other. I will gladly credit Lazor and the new DC guy (forget his name)...but not Marvin Lewis.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - bengals67 - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 10:58 AM)basballguy Wrote: not buying it at all.....this team's performance has nothing to do with ML and everything to do with themselves.  They are rallying around each other.  I will gladly credit Lazor and the new DC guy (forget his name)...but not Marvin Lewis.

Not a Marvin supporter but team has shown more grit this year than I can remember.

Next week is the real test.

(10-08-2018, 10:58 AM)basballguy Wrote: not buying it at all.....this team's performance has nothing to do with ML and everything to do with themselves.  They are rallying around each other.  I will gladly credit Lazor and the new DC guy (forget his name)...but not Marvin Lewis.

You just did without knowing it  Mellow

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - lone bengal - 10-08-2018

Don’t wanna sound negative but the only way Marvin and this team can be considered legit is when they win a playoff game. Just winning in the regular season isn’t good enough for a coach in his 16th season and this veteran core of players. It sucks that it is this way but we all know deep down it’s the truth. I hope they can get the monkey of there backs this year. Pittsburgh will be a good test this week.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - higgy100 - 10-08-2018

You're totally clueless in how team sports works and especially the NFL..

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - impactplaya - 10-08-2018

I applaud and appreciate how Marvin
has changed the culture.
but now he needs to get the team to the next level.
one game at a time.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - Go Cards - 10-08-2018

Wonder if Marvin had anything to do with defenses vast improvement in coverage.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - TheUberHuber - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 01:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wonder if Marvin had anything to do with defenses vast improvement in coverage.

The d line getting pressure had a lot to do with it. 

I actually dont really understand what marvin does during a game. I dont think he calls plays etc.. (or does he?)

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - thompson19osu - 10-08-2018

Overall has done a great job this year and the culture of this team feels different. That said he really needs to learn how to manage the final two minutes before halftime. Also would like to see the team ready to come out to play the 3rd quarter for once.

(10-08-2018, 01:25 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: The d line getting pressure had a lot to do with it. 

I actually dont really understand what marvin does during a game. I dont think he calls plays etc.. (or does he?)

No, but I can only assume he occasionally denies some play calls. He really is just a game manager....keep the team on track (down and distance, time, personal, etc, etc)

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - kdgjr - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 11:24 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Don’t wanna sound negative but the only way Marvin and this team can be considered legit is when they win a playoff game. Just winning in the regular season isn’t good enough for a coach in his 16th season and this veteran core of players.  It sucks that it is this way but we all know deep down it’s the truth. I hope they can get the monkey of there backs this year. Pittsburgh will be a good test this week.

Yup.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - fredtoast - 10-08-2018

This is the way it is with a lot of Marvin Haters.  They will never give him any credit no matter what the team accomplishes.

RE: Lets take a moment and give ML some credit - fredtoast - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 09:34 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote:  I did a thread a year and a half or so ago about how bad overall we've been outplayed, outcoached, outscored, and generally smacked down in the 2nd half so much it's not even funny, and we have.

Since Marvin took over as Bengals head coach we are top ten in winning percentage (.255) in games we trailed at halftime. (27-80-1)

In 245 regular season games coached by Marvin the Bengals have only been outscored in the second half 113 times.  That is less than half the time. 

Marvin's Bengals have a .753 winning percentage when they are either tied or ahead at halftime (102-33-2).  That is good for 13th in the league.

The Bengals under Marvin have been outscored in the second half, but only by 187 points.  That is just 0.76 points per game.

The claim that the Bengals have been "outplayed, outcoached, outscored, and generally smacked down in the 2nd half so much it's not even funny" is just not true.