Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I knew - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I knew (/Thread-I-knew)

Pages: 1 2 3

I knew - WeezyBengal - 10-14-2018

I was at the game and didn't even celebrate Mixons TD because I knew there was too much time left on the clock and that the Steelers would drive the field and score. I've seen this movie before.

Why the Bengals didn't try and run more clock is beyond me. AJ runs out of bounds on an out route. Andy snaps the ball with 18 seconds left on the play clock. It's just ridiculous.

RE: I knew - thompson19osu - 10-14-2018

I stated the exact same thing. And I too did not celebrate the Mixon TD. Had the D proved me wrong only then would I celebrate.

RE: I knew - BengalsRocker - 10-14-2018

Who are ya kidding?

I said before the game that you can't even get happy if they get a sizable lead in the game.

It's never truly over... till it's over. Hilarious

RE: I knew - Big Boss - 10-14-2018

Look, at some point you have to trust your offense to get the job done. You're on the 20 yard line. Its fourth-down territory. You have time outs left. You know how dangerous the Steelers can be with just a minute left.

You have to eat the clock. Take the play clock all the way down to one second and call a time out if you have to. Mixon scored a TD and I still found myself shouting at the TV. We've seen this shit way too many times before. Dalton had a great game, but he and the coaches simply have to have better situational awareness here. You don't give Big Ben a minute and a half with three time outs to get into field goal range. You just don't.

RE: I knew - samhain - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 09:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was at the game and didn't even celebrate Mixons TD because I knew there was too much time left on the clock and that the Steelers would drive the field and score. I've seen this movie before.

Why the Bengals didn't try and run more clock is beyond me. AJ runs out of bounds on an out route. Andy snaps the ball with 18 seconds left on the play clock. It's just ridiculous.

The play clock thing with Dalton is damn near inexcusable.  I love Andy and I think the world of him as a player, but that was a huge mistake.  I'd love to see someone ask him why the hell he decided to do that.  

It's small things like that that prevent this team from taking the next step.  It's not a lack of talent.  It's not that our QB isn't physically able to make throws or mentally able enough to read defenses.  It's just an overall lack of preparedness for situations that make and break games.  There were two or three things on that last drive that all play to that narrative that have already been pointed out in the thread.

Maybe you get away with making one of those mistakes, maybe even two vs a lesser or younger team.  Not against a surefire HOF quarterback with the best WR in the league plus Juju and a TE that killed us all game.  Just unfathomably dumb. 

RE: I knew - GodFather - 10-14-2018

Hindsight is 20-20. The bigger problem is why couldn't this defense step up? All they had to do was hold them.

The offense did their job, it's not on them. They marched down the field and scored, the defense had to do their part and didn't.

(10-14-2018, 09:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20. The bigger problem is why couldn't this defense step up? All they had to do was hold them.

The offense did their job, it's not on them. They marched down the field and scored, the defense had to do their part and didn't.

It's a game of totality, seconds and inches.  Most games are won in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter at the pro level.  

If a team like the Bengals gets the ball and just marches down the field to score, leaving 1:20 on the clock, then they are ignoring the reality of the situation and what's likely to happen in that event when the PIT offense takes the field with 3 timeouts left.  

I guess teams can take that approach if the want to and ignore important details in game management.  Obviously they do.  Eventually you'll run into teams that do take clock management seriously and have talent to match.  When they do, they will be at a big disadvantage when close games wind down.  

It's about doing all you can to win a football game.  Ignoring the clock isn't doing that.  They should have done everything they could to help a defense that was obviously physically struggling and battered.  

RE: I knew - BengalsBong - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 09:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20. The bigger problem is why couldn't this defense step up? All they had to do was hold them.

It was totally on the Offense and coaches you give them over a min left with timeouts when you had the option to burn more time off the clock. One of the reasons everyone was calling for Marvin head last year because of bad clock management.

RE: I knew - Socal Bengals fan - 10-14-2018

I knew it as well .we all were scratching our heads

RE: I knew - GodFather - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 10:02 PM)samhain Wrote: It's a game of totality, seconds and inches.  Most games are won in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter at the pro level.  

If a team like the Bengals gets the ball and just marches down the field to score, leaving 1:20 on the clock, then they are ignoring the reality of the situation and what's likely to happen in that event when the PIT offense takes the field with 3 timeouts left.  

I guess teams can take that approach if the want to and ignore important details in game management.  Obviously they do.  Eventually you'll run into teams that do take clock management seriously and have talent to match.  When they do, they will be at a big disadvantage when close games wind down.  

It's about doing all you can to win a football game.  Ignoring the clock isn't doing that.  They should have done everything they could to help a defense that was obviously physically struggling and battered.  

(10-14-2018, 10:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: It was totally on the Offense and coaches you give them over a min left with timeouts when you had the option to burn more time off the clock. One of the reasons everyone was calling for Marvin head last year because of bad clock management.

Defense could've stopped them. They didn't. Bad plays and decisions every new set of downs. I also saw that Burfict said that last play wasn't even practiced for the game or even before in practice. So that was a horrible call by the DC. It was horrible...no sacks all game and this play was going to be different? 

(10-14-2018, 10:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I knew it as well     .we all were scratching our heads

I sort of hoped they'd learned from the last drive in Atlanta.  Even with just a few seconds left, the Falcons got down the field fast.  It was a nail biter to the end.  If that can happen, what do you think's going to happen when an equally high-powered offense has 1:20 and 3 timeouts?

RE: I knew - Bengalitis - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 10:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: It was totally on the Offense and coaches you give them over a min left with timeouts when you had the option to burn more time off the clock. One of the reasons everyone was calling for Marvin head last year because of bad clock management.

Marvin has ALWAYS had bad clock management, that said, the Bengals did right by scoring. If we couldn't score then it would had ended there and then. The offense did it's job, it was the defense's job to end the game, they failed. Austin failed. Game over.  

RE: I knew - CJD - 10-14-2018

We all knew. This defense sucks.

RE: I knew - Joelist - 10-14-2018

KC will easily hang a fifty burger on this "defense".

RE: I knew - jorev5 - 10-14-2018

I totally agree, mixon could've stopped at the 1yd line. Kill some clock

RE: I knew - bengaltruth - 10-15-2018

(10-14-2018, 10:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Defense could've stopped them. They didn't. Bad plays and decisions every new set of downs. I also saw that Burfict said that last play wasn't even practiced for the game or even before in practice. So that was a horrible call by the DC. It was horrible...no sacks all game and this play was going to be different? 

How would BURFICT know he was suspended. This was a total team loss, Aj dropping passes, Core dropping passes, Coaches with no clue how to gameplan for pitt, Vontaze tired, missing tackles, Shawn Williams playing with a skirt on, trying his best not to get dirty or hurt. Then theres the penalties, ghost call on Geno, Dre, offensive pi not called on last score. REFS TOOK PLEASURE ANNOUNCING SETBACK PENALTIES AGAINST BENGALS, Austin has no clue how to stop 5 and 10 yard passes to tight ends, Marvin cant game manage to save his life. Vigil,Jackson,Ross,Williams,EIfert, Bernard,Dennard all out and yet we still was winning with 1:18 left, Who freakin dey!

RE: I knew - The Caped Crusader - 10-15-2018

Somehow, some way, Dalton is taking the blame for this. To me, that's inexcusable. Guys, the job of the offense is to score. Period. Point blank. The job of the defense is to prevent that score. Time remaining is irrelevant. That falls on one unit NOT doing their job.

RE: I knew - TSwigZ - 10-15-2018

Everyone knew...

RE: I knew - ah5 - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 02:36 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Somehow, some way, Dalton is taking the blame for this. To me, that's inexcusable. Guys, the job of the offense is to score. Period. Point blank. The job of the defense is to prevent that score. Time remaining is irrelevant. That falls on one unit NOT doing their job.
I agree, yes clock management could have been better but clock management didn't lose the game.  If the O doesnt score it would be their fault, they do score, and somehow still their fault.

RE: I knew - bengal kitten uk - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 03:01 AM)ah5 Wrote: I agree, yes clock management could have been better but clock management didn't lose the game.  If the O doesnt score it would be their fault, they do score, and somehow still their fault.

I have no idea how you claim that clock management didn't lose the game.  It did.

Kansas City just did exactly the same thing, btw.  You don't score too fast and give an elite offense an age to simply score a field goal.  You just don't.  

Honestly, our defense should have just let the Steelers score straight away and given the ball back to the offense with 1 minute to score again.  Defense is dead in the NFL right now.  43-40 lol.