Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? (/Thread-4th-and-1-Where-is-the-Media-backlash)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - jj22 - 10-15-2018

Marvin had his Garrett moment and learned nothing from it. We know MB won't call him out on it like Jerrah did and maybe that is why there will be no media attention.

This is when I knew we had lost the game. It's the Steelers, you haven't beat them in 3 years and are only 2-16 against them at home.

Time to take risks and play with some urgency.

All this talk about aggression on Offense and Defense and Marvin is still all too conservative when he needs to light a spark.

No fake punts, no 4th down shots from the opponents 40 (twice), nothing to let the team know this time was any different.

The Media (outside of Stephen A) will give Marvin a pass, but he needs to face the fire Garrett did for failing his team and once again getting outcoached by Tomlin.

Coaching like a man that plans to be around for another 15 years.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - TKUHL - 10-15-2018

The Cincinnati Bengals- Helping opponents get their season back on track since 2003.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - Bengalitis - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin had his Garrett moment and learned nothing from it. We know MB won't call him out on it like Jerrah did and maybe that is why there will be no media attention.

This is when I knew we had lost the game. It's the Steelers, you haven't beat them in 3 years and are only 2-16 against them at home.

Time to take risks and play with some urgency.

All this talk about aggression on Offense and Defense and Marvin is still all too conservative when he needs to light a spark.

No fake punts, no 4th down shots from the opponents 40 (twice), nothing to let the team know this time was any different.

The Media (outside of Stephen A) will give Marvin a pass, but he needs to face the fire Garrett did for failing his team and once again getting outcoached by Tomlin.

Coaching like a man that plans to be around for another 15 years.

The moment Marvin put his tail between his legs and left the stadium.  Mooning

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - Nately120 - 10-15-2018

I will admit that if Marvin went for it and we blew it, I would be complaining that he has the luxury of playing like a man who is in no risk of losing his job...ever.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - fredtoast - 10-15-2018

Tie game. Defensive playing well. The reason their is no media backlash is because it was the right decision.

Mixon had just gotten stuffed on 3rd and 1. If we go for it and fail you all would be crying about how stupid it was to go for it.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - Bilbo Saggins - 10-15-2018

The punts weren't necessarily bad decisions. My biggest gripe with calling them from around the 40 was that they were both aimed for the middle of the field at around the 12 yard line. If you're going to punt there, go for a punt inside the 5 so that your defense has a shot at forcing a safety!

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - GreenCornBengal - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 03:21 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: The punts weren't necessarily bad decisions. My biggest gripe with calling them from around the 40 was that they were both aimed for the middle of the field at around the 12 yard line. If you're going to punt there, go for a punt inside the 5 so that your defense has a shot at forcing a safety!

Wasn't much hope of that happening!

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - RASCAL - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tie game.  Defensive playing well.  The reason their is no media backlash is because it was the right decision.  

Mixon had just gotten stuffed on 3rd and 1. If we go for it and fail you all would be crying about how stupid it was to go for it.

you know what you can do with your if's !

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - jj22 - 10-15-2018

Playing it safe hasn't helped Marvin beat the Steelers. I personally wouldn't have complained if he went for it. The Offense has made every 4th down attempt they've attempted this year.

Boyd would have got it.

Marvin's goes into these games playing not to lose, and well he's lost nearly every one of them. Sounds like some Bengals fans have the same scared mindset when it comes to the Steelers.

(10-15-2018, 03:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Playing it safe hasn't helped Marvin beat the Steelers.

Neither has an all-out blitz.

We lost Sunday because of dropped passes, poor tackling, and no pressure on Ben.  The decision to punt early in the third period was the right call and had nothing to do with our losing.

I was fine with that call. The game was lost at that point anyway. Austin knew it was going to take a miracle to win at that point. It was a desperate call. You knew he was hitting that game winning FG. How many time have we seen that. A call based off of desperation is different then what I'm arguing.

I don't consider Marvin going for it on 4th and 1 as a desperate decision. It would have been an aggressive decision with an eye on some urgency to beat the Steelers and not set the season back emotionally like this loss will do as it proves this is the same O'le Bengals, and doubt (no doubt) has crept back into the locker room. The team knows like the fans know, if you can't beat the Steelers still, any hopes of a great season is over.

(10-15-2018, 03:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin's goes into these games playing not to lose, and well he's lost nearly every one of them. Sounds like some Bengals fans have the same scared mindset when it comes to the Steelers.

Playing not to lose is smart. 

Claiming that you know we would have gotten it is absurd.  You have no idea what would have happened.

(10-15-2018, 04:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: I was fine with that call. The game was lost at that point anyway. Austin knew it was going to take a miracle to win at that point. It was a desperate call.  You knew he was hitting that game winning FG. How many time have we seen that. A call based off of desperation is different then what I'm arguing.

I don't care if you have a problem with it.  My point is that it did not help us win.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - HarleyDog - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tie game.  Defensive playing well.  The reason their is no media backlash is because it was the right decision.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't moment.

How can it help us win when the game was already lost?

And all we can go by is our 4th down record this season, and I am clearly more confident then you are.

I disagree with Marvinball (playing not to lose). If you've paid attention to the league, that's not how Championships are won.

That's how mediocrity prevails.

And in the era of Offense, there's really no excuse.

I'm disappointed in those who are fine with such tactics. Especially against the Steelers.

But you know what they say about insanity.

Marvin is taking heat at the presser for the decision and good. That 20 or so yard punt didn't do anything to help the Bengals win at that point.

RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - Bengalsrob - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 04:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: I disagree with Marvinball (playing not to lose). If you've paid attention to the league, that's not how Championships are won.

That's how mediocrity prevails.

And in the era of Offense, there's  really no excuse.

I'm disappointed in those who are fine with such tactics. Especially against the Steelers.

But you know what they say about insanity.

Kansas City lost but went for it (and made it) twice on 4th and one. CC commented how more teams across the league weren't playing "chicken" this year and putting the pressure on the other team. I was and have been, however; impressed by our ability to score points in the second half. But, as dismal as our record is against the Steelers, you have to take  (fairly high percentage) chances when they are available since it's painfully obvious playing it safe just isn't working.

(10-15-2018, 04:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: I disagree with Marvinball (playing not to lose). If you've paid attention to the league, that's not how Championships are won.

Actually that is usually exactly how championships are won.

When was the last time you saw a Super Bowl champion go for it on fourth down in a tie game on the first possession of the second half?

Maybe if you are at the goal line and want to score a statement TD instead of a FG, but in that situation the opposing team is pinned down if you don't make it.

Championship coaches just don't go for it at the forty in that situation.

(10-15-2018, 04:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin is taking heat at the presser for the decision and good. That 20 or so yard punt didn't do anything to help the Bengals win at that point.

Yep.  Everyone is a coaching genius when they know the outcome in advance.

If we had gone for it and failed he be taking heat in the press conference for that also.