Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama (/Thread-Bombs-mailed-to-Hillary-Obama)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - SunsetBengal - 10-24-2018

Some truly disturbed individuals out there..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/explosive-devices-found-in-mail-sent-to-hillary-clinton-and-obama/ar-BBOPm1p?ocid=spartandhp

Quote:Two explosive devices were found in mail sent to former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Secret Service said Wednesday.
The devices were similar to one found on Monday at the home of the billionaire philanthropist George Soros, and federal authorities were investigating whether they were linked, two law enforcement officials said.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Yojimbo - 10-24-2018

That vile left at it again, smdh.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - GMDino - 10-24-2018

When I heard about the Clinton one this morning I got to wondering:

If Trump was assassinated (shot) would we make it all about the politics of it or would it be a lone, crazy guy with a gun?

I suppose playing politics will be seen as "okay" because of the victim.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - SunsetBengal - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 11:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: When I heard about the Clinton one this morning I got to wondering:

If Trump was assassinated (shot) would we make it all about the politics of it or would it be a lone, crazy guy with a gun?

I suppose playing politics will be seen as "okay" because of the victim.

No, never "okay".  This is just as vile as the crackpot that shot up the Congressional baseball practice, or the nut job Sailor that sent ricin letters to officials a couple weeks ago.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - GMDino - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, never "okay".  This is just as vile as the crackpot that shot up the Congressional baseball practice, or the nut job Sailor that sent ricin letters to officials a couple weeks ago.

But the crackpot that shot up the practice became a "crazy liberal" "Violent liberal" "intolerance" argument even on this board.

I agree with you that we shouldn't...but it will happen.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Au165 - 10-24-2018

Politics have become too hateful in general now. Political affiliation is often held against people on both side based on wide spread over generalizations. Everything is "Us vs them" and "They are ruining your life" it is a very scary situation and has made the country a worse place for it. The "black and white" of a two party system I think fuels this even more, I believe if we had more legitimate parties it would make the difference between each group a bit softer and more tolerable.

TL;DR- Politics make people worse people.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - michaelsean - 10-24-2018

The scary thing is this could be a pretty smart lunatic.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Belsnickel - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 12:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Politics have become too hateful in general now. Political affiliation is often held against people on both side based on wide spread over generalizations. Everything is "Us vs them" and "They are ruining your life" it is a very scary situation and has made the country a worse place for it. The "black and white" of a two party system I think fuels this even more, I believe if we had more legitimate parties it would make the difference between each group a bit softer and more tolerable.

It's not politics; it's tribalism. I forget where I heard this discussion or who proposed this hypothesis, but we are social creatures. We look for tribes of people that are like us in various ways. Religious organizations, clubs of various sorts, things like that have long provided us with this tribal effect. As time has gone on, we have seen a reduction in membership. People are not interacting in these more traditional tribes that have been existing for some time. The life people live is increasingly digital, and they are replacing these tribes with more virtual ones. Tribes that are less concrete. One of the easiest to involve ourselves in is based on political ideology. It's one of the only tribes many people actively participate in and so it has become insanely strong and has fomented the current climate.

(10-24-2018, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not politics; it's tribalism. I forget where I heard this discussion or who proposed this hypothesis, but we are social creatures. We look for tribes of people that are like us in various ways. Religious organizations, clubs of various sorts, things like that have long provided us with this tribal effect. As time has gone on, we have seen a reduction in membership. People are not interacting in these more traditional tribes that have been existing for some time. The life people live is increasingly digital, and they are replacing these tribes with more virtual ones. Tribes that are less concrete. One of the easiest to involve ourselves in is based on political ideology. It's one of the only tribes many people actively participate in and so it has become insanely strong and has fomented the current climate.

Maybe, but it seems the "political" tribalism fosters a lot more openly negative rhetoric. You don't see many people ( I saw most because there are always Nazi's haha) going around and openly saying sweeping negative generalizations about religions, ethnic races, or other "tribes", however hearing people do the same about political affiliation is accepted almost everywhere. You can sit in a restaurant, or in your place of work, and hear people use terms like "Liberal" and "Conservative" in a way that almost sounds like a way a racial slur would have been used in the 50's or 60's. 

I think we are seriously headed towards more politically motivated crimes against people. I'm not even saying simply politicians themselves, but more so supporters. Rallies will become war zones because they are being positioned as enemies to ways of life. 

(10-24-2018, 02:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe, but it seems the "political" tribalism fosters a lot more openly negative rhetoric. You don't see many people ( I saw most because there are always Nazi's haha) going around and openly saying sweeping negative generalizations about religions, ethnic races, or other "tribes", however hearing people do the same about political affiliation is accepted almost everywhere. You can sit in a restaurant, or in your place of work, and hear people use terms like "Liberal" and "Conservative" in a way that almost sounds like a way a racial slur would have been used in the 50's or 60's. 

I think we are seriously headed towards more politically motivated crimes against people. I'm not even saying simply politicians themselves, but more so supporters. Rallies will become war zones because they are being positioned as enemies to ways of life. 

Well, there are some other factors involved. The virtual nature of the tribal situation, the echo chambers people tend to put themselves into, and the way political rhetoric has changed over the last 30-40 years all exacerbate the situation. It's a perfect storm of ****-wittage.

(10-24-2018, 02:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, there are some other factors involved. The virtual nature of the tribal situation, the echo chambers people tend to put themselves into, and the way political rhetoric has changed over the last 30-40 years all exacerbate the situation. It's a perfect storm of ****-wittage.

I agree. The ability of social media to insulate people in echo chambers often with serious negative slants has made people angry at people they have never met for perceived slights. I really think it's going to continue to evolve in to real life violence. 

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - NATI BENGALS - 10-24-2018

Well hell. I thought the message of hate fear and division was a solid morally responsible tactic that wouldnt have any negative consequences.

Keep on backing the party bold face lying leadership and some members embracing racist organizations. Things will surely get better

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - bfine32 - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 11:37 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: That vile left at it again, smdh.

Perhaps too early to label a motive.

As to the OP: I hope they find the individual(s) responsible and try them as terrorists.

They part in the article that discusses excess postage is a great heads up; as are packages irregular in shape (keep your heads out of the gutter).

(10-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I agree. The ability of social media to insulate people in echo chambers often with serious negative slants has made people angry at people they have never met for perceived slights. I really think it's going to continue to evolve in to real life violence. 

I do kind of want to add that it is difficult to say it is or isn't politics that is the cause of this. Everything is politics. At its core, politics is nothing more than people deciding how they live together in a society. That's what I've been taught from the beginning as someone whose field falls in the political science umbrella. How we interact with other people is political. The way we navigate society is governed by politics, whether codified as in government or a more informal variety, but they play on each other constantly.

We tend to think very narrowly about politics, defining it to be about governance. However, when you understand the more universal nature of the term you can begin to really see how easy it was for this mess to happen. Politics, even the formal kind, touches our lives every day in ways most people overlook. From the obvious interstate system to the design of your toilet. From the interest rate on your mortgage to the width of your door. Politics. All of it. It's inescapable and so it was inevitable, in a way, that tribalism would occur based on these general ideologies within the system.

(10-24-2018, 04:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps too early to label a motive.

As to the OP: I hope they find the individual(s) responsible and try them as terrorists.

They part in the article that discusses excess postage is a great heads up; as are packages irregular in shape (keep your heads out of the gutter).

What if it is making a buzzing sound? Mellow

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Dill - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 12:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Politics have become too hateful in general now. Political affiliation is often held against people on both side based on wide spread over generalizations. Everything is "Us vs them" and "They are ruining your life" it is a very scary situation and has made the country a worse place for it. The "black and white" of a two party system I think fuels this even more, I believe if we had more legitimate parties it would make the difference between each group a bit softer and more tolerable.

Just for the record, I don't think things are as bad now as they were in the 1960s, especially '68. 

The current state of communications technology may be setting the table for a much greater conflagration though.

PS "They" ARE ruining your life.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - Dill - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 02:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's not politics; it's tribalism. I forget where I heard this discussion or who proposed this hypothesis, . . .

George Lakoff, Amy Chua, Dietram Scheufele?  They have been popularizing the "tribal" analogy for sometime now.

With Lakoff, though, there is a psychological theory underpinning the division. Those with more authoritarian tendencies are attracted to right wing politics. The "nurturers" go liberal.

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - ballsofsteel - 10-24-2018

I stink they know who sent those bombs, debbie wasssmen schultz. The fool put her return address on the packages. ThumbsUp

RE: Bombs mailed to Hillary, Obama - NATI BENGALS - 10-24-2018

Are we supposed to trust the results of a "corrupt" FBI investigation into this?

As a q anon trumpet conspiracy theorist. I wont believe anything unless presented to us in coded signals from dear leader

(10-24-2018, 06:03 PM)Dill Wrote: George Lakoff, Amy Chua, Dietram Scheufele?  They have been popularizing the "tribal" analogy for sometime now.

With Lakoff, though, there is a psychological theory underpinning the division. Those with more authoritarian tendencies are attracted to right wing politics. The "nurturers" go liberal.

Except for all the communist governments.

And I don’t know if it’s authoritarianism, but things like Canada saying it is an offense to not address a person by their chosen pronoun surely isn’t anti-authoritarian.

Now me personally I’m trying to just get away from all of it. I’ll argue some things here, but I’ve been looking for something that is diffeeeent. At least to me. I guess I’m late to the party, and I don’t know what anyone else thinks about him, but I’ve started listening to Jordan Peterson a little bit. I would have to say he is truly classically liberal. Granted some stuff goes over my head, but he’s got an answer for damn near everything.