Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? (/Thread-Televangelists-Religion-gone-bad)

Pages: 1 2 3

Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - ballsofsteel - 10-31-2018

What is worse, these Televangelists or the flock of people who fall for this crap? These Evangelicals who hit the jack pot tugging at the right heart strings of people are unbelievable.
Billy Graham for instance, died with 25 mill in the bank. That "special gift" he had must be in the bloodline cause his son has taken over.
Cha Ching.

Why Do all or most of these people who follow this cult vote Republican? Doesn't that tell you something?

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - GMDino - 10-31-2018

This isn't new.

People have used religion to rip off their fellow men for centuries.  These guys just have better access to larger groups of people than the traveling tent shows did.

I'm fine with people who are religious.  I'm not fine with people who it to support their hateful ideas or to line their pockets.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Nately120 - 10-31-2018

These people are always amusing in the most frightening way. My favorites are Jim Bakker and Peter Popoff (both have been exposed as criminals, con-men, and outright liars but meh...who cares), who have really amped up their game in the past decades. Popoff's message can literally be boiled down to "If you send me your money, god will magically put a lot more money than what you sent me in your bank account."

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Dill - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 06:21 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: What is worse, these Televangelists or the flock of people who fall for this crap? These Evangelicals who hit the jack pot tugging at the right heart strings of people are unbelievable.
Billy Graham for instance, died with 25 mill in the bank. That "special gift" he had must be in the bloodline cause his son has taken over.
Cha Ching.

Why Do all or most of these people who follow this cult vote Republican? Doesn't that tell you something?

Reminds me of a 20/20 expose I saw back in the 90s.

At a televangelist's headquarters there was a backroom where about 10 people at two tables were opening "prayer gifts," stacking the money and throwing away the letters without reading them. 

For those who don't know what these letters are, an ill person--say the mother of child with cancer--sends in money and a letter asking for special prayers for her child.  Garbage pail was full of said letters.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Nately120 - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 04:26 PM)Dill Wrote: Reminds me of a 20/20 expose I saw back in the 90s.

At a televangelist's headquarters there was a backroom where about 10 people at two tables were opening "prayer gifts," stacking the money and throwing away the letters without reading them. 

For those who don't know what these letters are, an ill person--say the mother of child with cancer--sends in money and a letter asking for special prayers for her child.  Garbage pail was full of said letters.

I know what you mean, but you can lead a horse to water and blah blah blah and so on.  Peter Popoff used to pretend he was getting information about the audience and their maladies from god...it was proven he was using an earpiece and his wife was feeding him the info from prayer cards the audience filled out prior to the show.  Being exposed set him back a bit, but it didn't end the whole charade.  

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - ballsofsteel - 10-31-2018

You would think that there were some Televangelist out there that are legit. Maybe not. That video is crazy.Remember Jimmey Swagert ,
"I have sin" video back in the eighties.
Maybe that is why Trump and Televangelist get along so well, they admire each others con.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - NATI BENGALS - 10-31-2018

Im just thankful these people with their flock of sheep make up a minority of the voter base. Figured out a way to win elections with less votes. And therefore run the country.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - bfine32 - 10-31-2018

To answer the question posed instead of letting folks how smart I am.The Televangelist is worse if their motivation is profit; however, there is nothing wrong with giving folks something to believe in.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - ballsofsteel - 11-01-2018

(10-31-2018, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To answer the question posed instead of letting folks how smart I am.The Televangelist is worse if their motivation is profit; however, there is nothing wrong with giving folks something to believe in.

That  is true.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - fredtoast - 11-01-2018

(10-31-2018, 06:21 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Billy Graham for instance, died with 25 mill in the bank. That "special gift" he had must be in the bloodline cause his son has taken over.
Cha Ching.

Whenever the issue of "helping the poor" arises the Republicans around here will crow about how studies show the donate more to "charity" than Democrats, but in fact a large portion of what they call "charity" goes to building huge churches and buying multiple airplanes for millionaire televangelist.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Vas Deferens - 11-01-2018

(11-01-2018, 06:14 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: That  is true.

[Image: UntidyFrequentDarklingbeetle-small.gif]

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - PhilHos - 11-01-2018

(11-01-2018, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Whenever the issue of "helping the poor" arises the Republicans around here will crow about how studies show the donate more to "charity" than Democrats, but in fact a large portion of what they call "charity" goes to building huge churches and buying multiple airplanes for millionaire televangelist.

Doesn't change the fact that more Republicans give more of their own money VOLUNTARILY to what they believe will help other people.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - fredtoast - 11-01-2018

(11-01-2018, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Doesn't change the fact that more Republicans give more of their own money VOLUNTARILY to what they believe will help other people.

Actually much of it does not go to "other people".  The givers themselves attend these churches or get their entertainment from them.  So they are actually doing a lot of it for themselves.

If a bunch of us got together and built a BengalsBoard clubhouse I would not consider that "charity".

Churches do a lot of very good charity work, I'll give them credit for that.  But they take care of themselves pretty well also.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - PhilHos - 11-01-2018

(11-01-2018, 04:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually much of it does not go to "other people".  The givers themselves attend these churches or get their entertainment from them.  So they are actually doing a lot of it for themselves.

If a bunch of us got together and built a BengalsBoard clubhouse I would not consider that "charity".

Churches do a lot of very good charity work, I'll give them credit for that.  But they take care of themselves pretty well also.

The point is that while many of them give to their own churches, most do so with the mindset that their church helps other people regardless of whether the church actually uses it for others or itself.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - ballsofsteel - 11-01-2018

What kind of "help" and who are you talking about helping? Do you mean helping out those Televangelist trying to buy their jets or are you talking about helping poor people? If your talking about poor people it must be one of those "the Lord giveth and the lord taketh" type of charity. Give at the church and feel good then vote for politicians who want to take all the social programs away from poor people.
Praise the Lord. Mellow

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - GMDino - 11-05-2018

https://www.kmov.com/news/make-the-gospel-great-again-large-billboard-of-trump-has/article_538f78d0-e0a9-11e8-b68e-4735053c1e10.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR1UcaJJaPNcwCgx00DfEjykiOzxSZFYqFkiZr5PyV73rikVbVgE0G30KJE

Quote:ST. LOUIS COUNTY (KMOV.com) - A billboard on Interstate 170 near St. Charles Rock Road is catching drivers' attention. 

A large electronic billboard that features President Donald Trump with the bible verse, "The word became flesh", can be seen along the southbound lanes of the highway. 

[Image: 5bdfba38cbbc5.image.jpg?resize=1%2C1w100]

The billboard has left residents like Sherri Chisholim searching for the meaning behind the ad. 

"I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't know what message it was trying to send but I felt like it was somewhat offensive, I didn't know if they were trying to equate Donald Trump to Jesus," said Chisholim.

In the top right corner, the billboard says "Make the Gospel Great Again" playing off Trump's famous slogan. 

The advertisement is owned by DDI Media but there is no clear message on the image about who paid for it.  

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - fredtoast - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 01:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.kmov.com/news/make-the-gospel-great-again-large-billboard-of-trump-has/article_538f78d0-e0a9-11e8-b68e-4735053c1e10.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR1UcaJJaPNcwCgx00DfEjykiOzxSZFYqFkiZr5PyV73rikVbVgE0G30KJE

Even the Christians who support Trump should be offended by this.

John 1:14 is clearly about Jesus Christ.  

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Nately120 - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even the Christians who support Trump should be offended by this.

John 1:14 is clearly about Jesus Christ.  

Well duh...but Jesus sent us Donald Trump.  Simple as that.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - fredtoast - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 05:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well duh...but Jesus sent us Donald Trump.  Simple as that.

But according to John 1:14 Trump would be Jesus if he is the "word become flesh"

John 1:14 14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

RE: Televangelists - Religion gone bad? - Nately120 - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But according to John 1:14 Trump would be Jesus if he is the "word become flesh"

John 1:14 14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Oh, well in that case Trump is Jesus.  Trump's father is Zeus/God, Stormy Daniels is Mary Magdalane, and everyone who tries to bring Trump down is one of the multitude of Judases.