Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense (/Thread-I-Was-Totally-Wrong-About-Marvin-and-the-Defense)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-18-2018

Yes, I admit it.

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens. Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back. The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse. The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Whatever - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I admit it.

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.  Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.  

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back.  The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse.  The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

This team has never been able to stop young QB's unless they have a lot of film available.  We really shouldn't be surprised.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - rfaulk34 - 11-18-2018

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.  Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.  

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back.  The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse.  The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

Not really. Tackling was better. Gap integrity was very poor. That's on the players. Team strength is another issue. They need to stop skipping leg day in the gym. 

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - thompson19osu - 11-18-2018

Well I don’t think it matters who is there. Our LBs are so awful I donmt think there is any overcoming them. Not firing any gaps, not coming up to make the tackle, just nowhere to be found really. With an impactful LBer or two the D would be world’s different.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - THE PISTONS - 11-18-2018

At what point do we all have to just admit that the players aren't that good and the coaching is below average?

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At what point do we all have to just admit that the players aren't that good and the coaching is below average?

I hit that point in 2007. What about you?

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - bengalsturntup926 - 11-18-2018

Well you actually got to have talent ti go with coaching. Marvin had a very good defense in baltimore plus they played bad teams. Play calling wasnt the issue,it was using nickerson and v rey and evans most the time. I dont know whats up with burfict but hes half of what he was last year. Why we couldnt use jefferson or brandon bell at all blows my mind, i bet when we are out of the playoff hunt thats when guys like jefferson and auden tate will shine and prove they should of been playing. This is an edvery year thing im sick of it. Coaches dont use their best guys.

(11-18-2018, 08:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hit that point in 2007.  What about you?

Honestly, probably around the same time.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - CKwi88 - 11-18-2018

From what I saw it was much more lack of execution from players than faulty scheme.

ML at DC might not be the solution, but it wasn't the biggest flaw today.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Devils Advocate - 11-18-2018

The defense is broken for sure, but the offense didn’t help them at all today.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - bengalfan74 - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At what point do we all have to just admit that the players aren't that good and the coaching is below average?

A lot of our players aren't very good ! Most of the Oline, All of the LBers. Then there's a few average, then a bunch below average.

The coaching staff is jut awful beyond words.

(11-18-2018, 08:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hit that point in 2007.  What about you?

I've been fully ready to move on from ML since after 08. So one decade later................

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - McC - 11-18-2018

I don't agree with this at all. 

Fire the HC first.

(11-18-2018, 08:24 PM)McC Wrote: I don't agree with this at all. 

Fire the HC first.

Fire him!?!?! When Mike Brown thought that Marvin didn't want to come back at the end of last season, he kind of freaked out.

Marin will be a coach for as long as he wants here!

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Truck_1_0_1_ - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: This team has never been able to stop young QB's unless they have a lot of film available.  We really shouldn't be surprised.

Not true; I debunked this in another thread; we have an over .667 winning percentage, against rookie QBs, since 2010.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Lucidus - 11-18-2018

It was indeed very frustrating to observe a defense get beaten by the only dimension the opposing offense had, even though they had prepared heavily for that single dimension all week.

I must say, I was quite confident going into this game. I felt they would be the victors of a low-scoring, hard fought contest. I was rather mistaken in my confidence level, as it were.

The silver lining is that they are still among the 4 teams competing for the final playoff berth. If I am to be honest though, this team does not strike me as postseason worthy.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - bfine32 - 11-18-2018

The D was pretty much responsible for 14 of our points.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Gamma Ray Tan - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: This team has never been able to stop young QB's unless they have a lot of film available.  We really shouldn't be surprised.

This. Bengals futility against Rookie QBs first starts is historically bad. I guess it fits this Defense though.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Gamma Ray Tan - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not true; I debunked this in another thread; we have an over .667 winning percentage, against rookie QBs, since 2010.

3-4 against QBs making 1st NFL start. Also, 66% is not really good.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Truck_1_0_1_ - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 09:00 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: 3-4 against QBs making 1st NFL start. Also, 66% is not really good.

67% would put you in the playoffs every year, what're you talking about?

Harder to play against first start because of no tape.

RE: I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense - Lucidus - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 08:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The D was pretty much responsible for 14 of our points.

They were also responsible for surrendering 265 yards on the ground sir. Simply inexcusable.