Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Things you dislike about the NFL - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: Things you dislike about the NFL (/Thread-Things-you-dislike-about-the-NFL)

Pages: 1 2 3

Things you dislike about the NFL - THE PISTONS - 12-10-2018

Let's do a thread about what we dislike. I'll begin.

I hate when a receiver gets the ball thrown to him and gets up and acts like he throws a flag and looks at the officials. It seems like 50% of incomplete passes that happens on.

As far as kickoffs and punts, it seems like most of those plays have penalties too.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - THE PISTONS - 12-10-2018

Penalties seem to be called way inconsistently. The Steelers and Patriots all seem to be able to hold and not get called.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - Bengalsrob - 12-10-2018

1) Roger Goodell
2) existence of the Steelers
3) late flags after the play is over to save things like reason #2
4) totally inconsistent calls
5) stupid announcers who are prejudiced like Fouts calling our games or Aikman and Buck calling Cowboys games

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - bengalhoel - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 02:25 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: 1) Roger Goodell
2) existence of the Steelers
3) late flags after the play is over to save things like reason #2
4) totally inconsistent calls
5) stupid announcers who are prejudiced like Fouts calling our games or Aikman and Buck calling Cowboys games

Agree with everything!  but I have to add to your list

6) That stupid look on Baker Mayfield's stupid looking face
7) When they call QBs like Lamar Jackson good
8) Roethlessberger and his fake ass injuries and then coming back in and throwing TDs
9) Richard Sherman's opinion on anything 
10) How old Adam Vienteri looked today with his grey beard and too small helmet.
11) Stupid white stripes down the armpits of NFL uniforms

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - JumboTron - 12-10-2018

Marvin Lewis.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - SHRacerX - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 01:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Penalties seem to be called way inconsistently. The Steelers and Patriots all seem to be able to hold and not get called.

This is mine, so I will add the bullshit cover-up announcers.  Hate listening to them.  

I also hate that they (NFL Brass) are stupid enough to believe their ratings are people that like football...when so much of it is fantasy.  Gambling is a big reason why people watch the NFL.  That is why every year I am more and more drawn to college.  Every team seems to play with such passion and the coaching is often so creative.  

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - bengaloo - 12-10-2018

Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL. His first year all we heard about was this jerry springer crap and all about players personal troubles from their private lives. Football itself has become second or 3rd in importance since this wimp took over. His punishments are completely biased and inconsistent. The politics, the drama, the bias and lame penalties, etc. Its just a joke anymore. I used to watch football even if it werent the Bengals. Not anymore. The league isnt nearly as appealing like it used to be.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - Bronxbengal - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 08:42 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL. His first year all we heard about was this jerry springer crap and all about players personal troubles from their private lives. Football itself has become second or 3rd in importance since this wimp took over. His punishments are completely biased and inconsistent. The politics, the drama, the bias and lame penalties, etc. Its just a joke anymore. I used to watch football even if it werent the Bengals. Not anymore. The league isnt nearly as appealing like it used to be.

1.  How about when someone makes a routine tackle they get up and celebrate like they never tackled anyone before.  Hey, you are a professional and act like you been there before.  Get up and walk back to huddle.

2.  Instant reply.  I hate it the way the NFL does it.  Either do it like either College and the CFL or don't do it.  In the CFL you can challenge almost anything including pass interference.

3.  The slow elimination of the kickoff

4.  Horrible officiating.  The NFL has become the NBA where the "superstars" don't get the same calls as the average players.  It is all for the ratings

5.  Goodell has ruined the NFL as it was once known

6.  Thursday games

7.  Games in London

8.  The over emphasis on the offense and hurting defenses

9. Encroachment of politics into the game

10. The political correctness so many examples I can give because I will be crucified on this board

11.  Mike Brown and how he runs the Bengals.  Step down Mike Brown!

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - michaelsean - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 08:42 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL. His first year all we heard about was this jerry springer crap and all about players personal troubles from their private lives. Football itself has become second or 3rd in importance since this wimp took over. His punishments are completely biased and inconsistent. The politics, the drama, the bias and lame penalties, etc. Its just a joke anymore. I used to watch football even if it werent the Bengals. Not anymore. The league isnt nearly as appealing like it used to be.

Same here.  The NFL was the one sport I could sit and watch even when it wasn't my team.  I now read with the volume down and glance up from time to time.  For whatever reason or maybe a lot of reasons, it's just not that interesting anymore.  

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - XsandOs - 12-10-2018

These new TD celebrations. NFL has asked Teams to bring back the celebrations to generate excitement in the games.

The seem forced, fake, choreographed and simply cheesy. It's WWE!!!

NFL should not have banned it in the first place. They were better when done naturally.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - sandwedge - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is mine, so I will add the bullshit cover-up announcers.  Hate listening to them.  

I also hate that they (NFL Brass) are stupid enough to believe their ratings are people that like football...when so much of it is fantasy.  Gambling is a big reason why people watch the NFL.  That is why every year I am more and more drawn to college.  Every team seems to play with such passion and the coaching is often so creative.  

I'm in total agreement! The game was so much better back in the day, when it was a game and not entertainment and Fantasy Football was non-existent or Vegas didn't control what happens in the game. There has always been gambling on games, don't get me wrong, but the NFL kept it's nose out of it..

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - Nately120 - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 12:38 PM)XsandOs Wrote: These new TD celebrations. NFL has asked Teams to bring back the celebrations to generate excitement in the games.

The seem forced, fake, choreographed and simply cheesy. It's WWE!!!

NFL should not have banned it in the first place. They were better when done naturally.

The celebrations are pretty stupid.  I don't mind players celebrating, but this choreographed stuff just comes off like some sort of impromptu version of charades, or a crappy improv class, or a group of white people at a wedding reception trying too hard to have fun.

I try not to get too worked up about the changes the NFL makes, mostly because I'm sure people were going apepoo decades ago when the NFL had the audacity to say you had to wear a helmet, then you had to have a facemask, then you can't tackle a guy by his facemask. BAH! They're sissy-fying it! I'm done! No more defense! What's next? They used to be tough! and so on and so forth.

Hain't nothin' new here, folks.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - jason - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 02:37 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Agree with everything!  but I have to add to your list

6) That stupid look on Baker Mayfield's stupid looking face
7) When they call QBs like Lamar Jackson good
8) Roethlessberger and his fake ass injuries and then coming back in and throwing TDs
9) Richard Sherman's opinion on anything 
10) How old Adam Vienteri looked today with his grey beard and too small helmet.
11) Stupid white stripes down the armpits of NFL uniforms

Baker Mayfield has a very punchable face. It's right up there with Manziel's, and Paul Ryan's...

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - Shake n Blake - 12-10-2018

Whoo boy.

1. Roger Goodell/NFL owners - Goodell has really made the NFL feel like WWE at times. Telling fans to bring on the boo's was clown show stuff.
2. The over-emphasis on offense has cheapened the game. Mahomes is awesome, but would he be throwing for 5000 yards and 50 TD's 10 years ago?
3. Politics (this seems to be dying down, thankfully)
4. The NFL seems to have more "grey area" rules than any other sport. Rules that can conveniently be interpreted any way the ref decides.
5. The parity myth. I don't feel like looking it up again, but something like 7 teams (Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers) have won over half of all Super Bowls. While many teams (around 8-10) haven't won even 1.

I could go on, but those are the 5 that jump out to me.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - Shake n Blake - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 01:03 PM)jason Wrote: Baker Mayfield has a very punchable face. It's right up there with Manziel's, and Paul Ryan's...

Agreed. He's like a Manziel that can actually play. When he said he "woke up feeling dangerous" with that feeling himself look on his face, I don't think I've ever rolled my eyes so hard. 

If that dude were a Bengal and threw for 40 TD's, I'd still find it hard to root for a guy like that. He might be our Pig Ben replacement in waiting.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - jason - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. He's like a Manziel that can actually play. When he said he "woke up feeling dangerous" with that feeling himself look on his face, I don't think I've ever rolled my eyes so hard. 

If that dude were a Bengal and threw for 40 TD's, I'd still find it hard to root for a guy like that. He might be our Pig Ben replacement in waiting.

I was done with him when he planted the Oklahoma flag at Ohio Stadium... He'll get his eventually.

But yeah... It's even more irritating that he hasn't fallen on his face in the NFL.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - treee - 12-10-2018

I hate that they don't care that their video game product is garbage.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - fredtoast - 12-10-2018

The NFL is the highest level of the greatest sport on earth.

Overall the NBA may have more of the greatest all-around athletes but basketball is so childishly simplistic compared to football.  Football is 150 highly coordinated attacks in brutal hand to hand physical combat.

I don't care about the personal drama off the field.  When I listen to music I don't care if the artist is a junky or racist.  I just want to enjoy the music.  Same with sports.

I don't care about celebrations.  Why would anything like that bother me?  I jump and yell during big plays and I have not devoted my entire life training, and sacrificing, and risking my body to accomplish those feats on the field.  I think they have earned the right to celebrate.

I don't like the delay of instant replay, but I have seen many plays that would have change the result of a game get corrected by instant replay.

I hated the whole controversy over kneeling during the anthem, but I never think abut that for a second during the games.

To me the only thing they could do to improve the NFL is to make players play both ways.  The violent physical nature of football tests the will of the players more than any other sport.  Skill is the most important element, but in combat sports like football and boxing sheer determination and will power are required to function under pain and physical duress.  I'd love to see the same 22 guys stay on the field trading blows on both offense and defense.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - bengalhoel - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Whoo boy.

1. Roger Goodell/NFL owners - Goodell has really made the NFL feel like WWE at times. Telling fans to bring on the boo's was clown show stuff.
2. The over-emphasis on offense has cheapened the game. Mahomes is awesome, but would he be throwing for 5000 yards and 50 TD's 10 years ago?
3. Politics (this seems to be dying down, thankfully)
4. The NFL seems to have more "grey area" rules than any other sport. Rules that can conveniently be interpreted any way the ref decides.
5. The parody myth. I don't feel like looking it up again, but something like 7 teams (Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers) have won over half of all Super Bowls. While many teams (around 8-10) haven't won even 1.

I could go on, but those are the 5 that jump out to me.

This right here. This is how they influence games. This is what is ruining the NFL. 

We all know our history with the Steelers and the Refs is legendary. Now it has migrated to every other team that plays us. Im wondering if the other owners and the commissioner  hate Mike Brown that bad.

Having said that, no one gets hosed as bad as people that play the Cowboys. I only watched a little bit of that game against the Eagles yesterday but they were clearly making sure that Jerry world gets in the playoffs. Its sickening and its going to turn me off entirely one of these days. The refs in NFL serve the same function as the non salary cap in MLB making sure that the big markets and the favorite teams get in. Im not saying you cant over come it and win but it takes a creative owner and creative coaching and some luck and good drafting. We have none of those.

RE: Things you dislike about the NFL - BengalsBong - 12-10-2018

Seems like nothing has changed with the refs the Driskel TD should of stood. That was more on the one replay guy in NY {which is bs don't put that much power in one guys hands} since it was called a TD on the field. But it did feel like we was fighting the refs and the Chargers in that game.