Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Driskel should be starter next year - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Driskel should be starter next year (/Thread-Driskel-should-be-starter-next-year)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - wolverine515151 - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What an odd definition of “solid”, considering that QBs who have a passer rating above 80 yet below 90 are a combined 30-35 (46%).

Doing the math, that equates to 7-9. I guess standards have been lowered.

If he has a better offensive line, Green and Eifert back, his rating would be over 90. How many teams have a Mixon at running back, not a lot. That's good enough to win if Mixon is running it for 5 yards a carry, our defense is shutting teams down and we can win the turnover battle. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Nicomo Cosca - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 02:58 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I've discussed this in previous posts, Dalton would be hard to trade with his contract amount and how old he is, cutting him would be the most likely scenario. 

He’s 3 years younger than Alex Smith, and Jay Gruden likes him...

If Alex Smith is not going to be ready by next season Washington trading for Dalton makes a lot of sense.

(12-17-2018, 03:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Actually his contract, age, and experience is a perfect reason to trade for him.

His contract is very managable with the option to move on with little dead cap. He is only 31 QBs are playing into their late 30s especially pocket passers like Dalton. Andy also has had success in the NFL and has seen just about anything defensive coordinators can throw at him.

He'll be 32 next year, he's below average and he's coming off an injury to his hand.  He makes a lot of money, 16 million, compared to other qb with the same career numbers like Fitzpatrick or Bradford. No he would not be easy to trade. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Luvnit2 - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:06 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Driskel would probably have a rating around 90 if we fix the offensive line and get Green and Eifert back. You add a first round qb in the draft and even another qb like a Bradford for 3 million in free agency. We could go with 3 qb's if it's needed. 

????????????

What is completion percent? The reality is he throws most passes (higher % than AD) less than 15 yards and still has bad completion percent overall. Just watch him, he is extremely high or left or right of the receiver, he has rarely hit receivers in stride when has completed passes.

The completion percent in today's NFL has to be 63 to 65% or above. I have not looked his up, but bet he is below 60%.

(12-17-2018, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he wouldn't.

He can't throw the ball accurately downfield
You can complete inaccurate longer throws when you have Green making the adjustments. How many deep passes has Dalton completed to Ross. The answer is not many. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Luvnit2 - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:13 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He'll be 32 next year, he's below average and he's coming off an injury to his hand.  He makes a lot of money, 16 million, compared to other qb with the same career numbers like Fitzpatrick or Bradford. No he would not be easy to trade. 

32 is young for a QB with no major injuries to his legs or shoulder.

How old is:
Brees?
Ben?
Brady?

Dalton will be a starting QB for the next 5 years minimum, bank on it.
I would wager a team like Jax., Redskins or Denver would give up multiple #1 picks for AD. AD has a user friendly QB contract compared to the rest of the starters on second or 3rd contracts.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Synric - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:13 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He'll be 32 next year, he's below average and he's coming off an injury to his hand.  He makes a lot of money, 16 million, compared to other qb with the same career numbers like Fitzpatrick or Bradford. No he would not be easy to trade. 

He's also lead a team to 5 straight playoff appearances which means he can win football games. He set most of the important Bengals franchise records.

And QBs are playing to near 40 now man. At worst he's got 5 or 6 years.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Millhouse - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s 3 years younger than Alex Smith, and Jay Gruden likes him...

If Alex Smith is not going to be ready by next season Washington trading for Dalton makes a lot of sense.

Smith's career is probably over, considering he just spent 4 weeks in the hospital due to his leg. So I can see the Skins trading a 2nd for Andy until they think they find their future qb. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd even. I would say a 1st, but given Andy's postseason performances, Mike Brown will have to be at the top of his swindling game.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Shake n Blake - 12-17-2018

2011: People wanted Dan LeFevour and Jordan Palmer to compete to start over Dalton. What became of LeFevour and Little Palmer?

2016: People wanted McCarron to start over Dalton. McCarron had almost no FA interest and the QB needy Bills dumped him.

2018: People want Jeff Driskell to start over Dalton. 

-----

2010: People boo'd Palmer when he hit 20k yards, and (allegedly) threw trash on his lawn. They blamed him for the losing, and felt a new QB could take the team to the next level. Palmer winds up going elsewhere and somehow played better in prime-time (which was a big problem for him) and finally won a playoff game. 

2018: People boo Dalton at charity softball games. They blame him for the losing, and feel a new QB can take the team to the next level.

------
The only thing more repetitive than Marvin Lewis coaching disappointing teams is this fanbase blaming players (especially QB's) when the real problem is slapping them in the face over and over again (for 16 years and counting). I swear I feel like I'm in the movie Groundhog's Day. We should know by now that the backup isn't the answer. We should know (from Palmer) that Dalton isn't why we lose prime-time and playoff games.

(12-17-2018, 03:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Smith's career is probably over, considering he just spent 4 weeks in the hospital due to his leg. So I can see the Skins trading a 2nd for Andy until they think they find their future qb. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd even. I would say a 1st, but given Andy's postseason performances, Mike Brown will have to be at the top of his swindling game.

Bradford fetched a 1st and a 4th, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for a 1st for Andy. They won’t have a lot of choices.

(12-17-2018, 03:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  
32 is young for a QB with no major injuries to his legs or shoulder.

How old is:
Brees?
Ben?
Brady?

Dalton will be a starting QB for the next 5 years minimum, bank on it.
I would wager a team like Jax., Redskins or Denver would give up multiple #1 picks for AD. AD has a user friendly QB contract compared to the rest of the starters on second or 3rd contracts.

That's not young and not every qb plays until their over 40. Dalton probably has a few more prime years left before he declines badly.  

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Au165 - 12-17-2018

His career numbers are better than both the guys you named. 16 Million is the 2nd lowest Starting QB contract of any non rookie contract. If we don't want him plenty of teams would trade for a proven starter who can win in this league. By the way 32 isn't really old for a QB in today's NFL. 

(12-17-2018, 03:22 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: That's not young and not every qb plays until their over 40. Dalton probably has a few more prime years left before he declines badly.  

One thing Dalton has going for him is he’s been extremely durable. The only times he got hurt in 8 years were fluke thumb injuries.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Millhouse - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bradford fetched a 1st and a 4th, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for a 1st for Andy. They won’t have a lot of choices.

That's true. Desperate teams are ripe for the picking.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Au165 - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: That's true. Desperate teams are ripe for the picking.

Dalton would be a Tom Coughlin guy in JAX. I think it's moot because even if we draft his replacement we will play out his contract as a mentor, but JAX is where I'd look along with the aforementioned Redskins.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - fredtoast - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:15 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: You can complete inaccurate longer throws when you have Green making the adjustments. How many deep passes has Dalton completed to Ross. The answer is not many. 

Ross has two receptions of 30+ yards from Dalton and Boyd has 4.  They have a combined zero from Driskel.

The problem with these numbers is that I don't know if those were all long throws or if the were short throws and long runs.

All I knw is that Dalton completed 14 passes thrown 20+ yards past the line of scrimmage and Driskel has only 1.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Synric - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dalton would be a Tom Coughlin guy in JAX. I think it's moot because even if we draft his replacement we will play out his contract as a mentor, but JAX is where I'd look along with the aforementioned Redskins.

I thought maybe Jax too but they are already way over the cap for next year. They will have to figure out a way to cut money before they can even think about trading for a QB.

(12-17-2018, 03:20 PM)Synric Wrote: He's also lead a team to 5 straight playoff appearances which means he can win football games. He set most of the important Bengals franchise records.

And QBs are playing to near 40 now man. At worst he's got 5 or 6 years.

Not every team has Green to throw the ball to. Dalton has feasted off throwing to the best wide receiver in the league.  We made the playoffs those seasons with a very solid offensive line, running game, special teams, and our defense consistently in the top 10. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - jj22 - 12-17-2018

Green hasn't been near the best wide receiver in the league (maybe not even top 5) for about 3 years now.

In fact you can say the last couple years he has cost Dalton some "big games" with his drops, concentration lapses, and fumbles.

(12-17-2018, 03:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: In fact you can say the last couple years he has cost Dalton some "big games" with his drops and concentration lapses.

You could say it, but it wouldn’t be true. Even earlier this season when he kept fumbling he made up for it with 3 TD games like against Baltimore.