Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Driskel should be starter next year - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Driskel should be starter next year (/Thread-Driskel-should-be-starter-next-year)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - fredtoast - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:38 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: You have to be joking. You learn from playing in actual games, not in practice, where your not even allowed to use pads much, and nobody is pressuring the qb like in an actual game.  

You clearly don't understand the game much do you.

Yeah, right.  NFL teams players don't learn anything in practice or meetings or film study.

I guess that is why none of the great NFL QBs ever practice hard or study film, right?

And NFL QB coaches never simulate pressure in practice to get their QBs used to it, do they.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - The Caped Crusader - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: The numbers are what they are.  No one is saying the guy is elite.  No one is saying it isn't time to look for a replacement.  What people are saying, actually, is, that he is better than he gets credit for.  People are also saying, Driskel is not the answer, this year is a bad draft for QBs, and if you trade him, you're going to need to find someone at least comparable to have any measure of success.

I agree. 

(12-17-2018, 05:41 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote:  They rank 32 starters every year and that's what his average ranking is among the starters.

Who is "they"?

Every source I ever see ranks all the QBs with at least 224 attempts in a season.  Sometimes it is less than 32, but many times it is more.  There were 233 QBs ranked from 2011 through the 2017 season.  That is a little more than 33 per year.

Link to your sources please.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - wolverine515151 - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me guess.  This is from the same source that says Driskel is a rookie, only 32 QBs qualify for ranking every year, and Green has been the best WR in the league since 2011.

Amiright?

Smirk

Driskel is a rookie because this is his first year he's played. It's the same as someone getting called up from the minors to play in mlb. They are called a rookie the very first time they play in the majors. Seasoning in the minors doesn't count as actual playing in mlb. 

I said Green is tied for top spot among a few other players. Jones and Brown. 

(12-17-2018, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  NFL teams players don't learn anything in practice or meetings or film study.

I guess that is why none of the great NFL QBs ever practice hard or study film, right?

And NFL QB coaches never simulate pressure in practice to get their QBs used to it, do they.

You also see talent in practice. Decisions being made. etc.

If Driskel was better than Dalton, he would be starting.

Simple as that. 

Same argument was said/made with AJM. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - wolfkaosaun - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:38 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: You have to be joking. You learn from playing in actual games, not in practice, where your not even allowed to use pads much, and nobody is pressuring the qb like in an actual game.  

You clearly don't understand the game much do you.

Do you think Mahomes would have the same success he's having now if he were thrown right in there his first year?

And you learn in practice. You don't just magically learn footwork techniques by playing in games. Nor throwing motions. Nor timing routes. Sure, game reps help. But there's a lot more than just "go out and throw the ball".

Why do you think many quarterbacks have gone to Tom House?

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:41 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: His has an average of 17 out of 32. They rank 32 starters every year and that's what his average ranking is among the starters.

Saying he's above average during the season is being generous.

He ain't great, that's for sure.  I look at his work, overall, and when the team was playing good with good coordinators on both sides of the ball, I had him around the 13-15 range.  He started out well in 2016 too, but the wheels came off, and last year too.  Had a good start this season, but when injuries mounted, we couldn't scheme around it.....until we remembered we had Joe Mixon the last few weeks. He's steady....some guys have had one, maybe two good seasons, then went to shit. Some are out of the league.

(12-17-2018, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  NFL teams players don't learn anything in practice or meetings or film study.

That is pure nonsense. Go straight to Driskel and ask him. How much has he learned from actually playing in games or in practice. 

You can't simulate actual game speed in practice. It's a whole other level when it's an actual game, and you got guys chasing you down wanting to take your head off. When the other team is throwing all kinds of defensive schemes at you that you never see in practice.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - KillerGoose - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:44 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Driskel is a rookie because this is his first year he's played. It's the same as someone getting called up from the minors to play in mlb. They are called a rookie the very first time they play in the majors. Seasoning in the minors doesn't count as actual playing in mlb. 

Everything you’re saying is wrong.

Driskel isn’t a rookie. He’s a three year veteran. He is in his 3rd year.

Jones, Brown, Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins and Beckham are all better than Green. Arguably Michael Thomas as well.

(12-17-2018, 05:44 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I said Green is tied for top spot among a few other players. Jones and Brown. 

I know you said it.  That is why I was poking fun at your "source".

BTW how is he "tied" with Brown when Brown has over 200 more receptions and 1500 more yards?

(12-17-2018, 05:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Everything you’re saying is wrong.

Driskel isn’t a rookie. He’s a three year veteran. He is in his 3rd year.

Jones, Brown, Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins and Beckham are all better than Green. Arguably Michael Thomas as well.

He's a rookie . This is the first time he's played in games. No chance they have been better the last 8 years than Green. Were talking all 8 years not just this season. 

It looks likes Daltons family and agents are in the room defending him. Just keep defending a mediocre qb thats bad in the playoffs. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - wolfkaosaun - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:44 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Driskel is a rookie because this is his first year he's played. It's the same as someone getting called up from the minors to play in mlb. They are called a rookie the very first time they play in the majors. Seasoning in the minors doesn't count as actual playing in mlb. 

No. Driskel is not a rookie. This is his 3rd year in the NFL and 2nd team in the NFL. It's not the same as getting called up from the minors to play in the MLB. Not even close.
NFL and MLB are wayyyyyy different.

(12-17-2018, 05:47 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: That is pure nonsense. Go straight to Driskel and ask him. How much has he learned from actually playing in games or in practice. 

I just did.  He said he has learned so much from working with NFL coaches and film study and practice that he is a completely different QB than when he first came into the league 3 years ago.

He told me to ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning how much time they spent in film study and how much it improved their game.

(12-17-2018, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know you said it.  That is why I was poking fun at your "source".

BTW how is he "tied" with Brown when Brown has over 200 more receptions and 1500 more yards?

Browns had a better qb. It evens it out. Green with Ben would put up the same numbers.  

(12-17-2018, 05:53 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Browns had a better qb. It evens it out. Green with Ben would put up the same numbers.  

Dalton playing with the Steelers would have been better than Roethlisberger.

See I can play the make believe game also.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - KillerGoose - 12-17-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:51 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He's a rookie . This is the first time he's played in games. No chance they have been better the last 8 years than Green. Were talking all 8 years not just this season. 

It looks likes Daltons family and agents are in the room defending him. Just keep defending a mediocre qb thats bad in the playoffs. 

He is not a rookie. He has been in the NFL since 2016.

They have absolutely been better than Green for the past 8 years. Hell, Calvin Johnson has been retired for a few years and he’s still a better WR in this decade. Green is great, those guys are just better.

(12-17-2018, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton playing with the Steelers would have been better than Roethlisberger.

No he wouldnt have because the Bengals have had the same weapons if not better than the Steelers. 

(12-17-2018, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton playing with the Steelers would have been better than Roethlisberger.

That may be true....Pig Pen won a SB without AB where he posted a 22.5 rating. Cool

(12-17-2018, 05:57 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: No he wouldnt have because the Bengals have had the same weapons if not better than the Steelers. 

Shocked

(12-17-2018, 05:57 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: No he wouldnt have because the Bengals have had the same weapons if not better than the Steelers. 

Dude...

No. The Steelers offensive line has been ranked in the Top 5 for years.

Ben has had more consistent tight ends (ones not injured).

His receiving core is just better. Brown and Juju combined are better completely than our receiving core.