Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Driskel should be starter next year - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Driskel should be starter next year (/Thread-Driskel-should-be-starter-next-year)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - rfaulk34 - 12-18-2018

(12-17-2018, 03:50 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He's a rookie because this is his first year where he's actually played. 

Inside your head is a really, really strange place.  Mellow

Not just this post, but pretty much every argument you've made in this thread. None of it is even remotely close to being true. 

(12-17-2018, 03:50 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He's a rookie because this is his first year where he's actually played. 

(12-17-2018, 03:52 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: He's the best wide receiver in the past 8 years. There's a few others maybe tied with him for top spot, like Jones and Brown.  

There's no doubt. You're definitely just trolling. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Atomic Orange - 12-18-2018

Has Andy had bad games, sure he has. But when putting up stats i think you have to remember most of his have come from 2 quarters of play and then the dramatic fourth quarter comeback because MARVIN ALWAYS GETS SHUT DOWN AT HALFTIME. So, yeah because of that Andy usually sucks in the 3rd quarter. His stats come from TWO AND A HALF QUARTERS OF PLAY. (1st,2nd, half of 4th)

Add up the abysmal 3rd quarters and you get 16 quarters or 4 total games worth of bad stats. I'll leave the 4th quarter alone because sometimes they score in the late third early fourth. But for shit and giggles that equals another 8 quarters of usual bad stats until the late fourth quarter comeback. Take that abyss out and Dalton's numbers look a lot better.

Marvin Ball.

(12-17-2018, 04:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ok.

Look. You can't argue with his rock-solid reasoning. Dalton won't play into his late 30s because he's a QB that sits in the pocket and doesn't take many hits and has only been injured twice when he wrenched his thumb against a couple big dudes that he came into contact with. 

AJ Green will play into his late 30s because he's a WR that gets hit a hell of a lot more than a QB does and he will have missed 13 games in the last 3 seasons due to injuries.

Don't you know that QBs rarely play into their late 30s while WRs do it regularly?  Nervous

AJ the great also disappears under the lights.

(12-17-2018, 05:01 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Stop using only active qb's. Use all qb's in the last 8 years. Some of those qb's you are counting are back up qb's . Were talking starters only who have thrown over 750 times, and have played in the past 8 years. 

In the last 8 years there are 61 QBs who have thrown the ball at least 500 times. 

Since you said starters and not backups, if you count 8 games per year X number of years the QB has been in the league, the qualifying QBs drops to 35 who have played the last 8 years, thrown the ball at least 500 times and have started an average of 8 games per year X number of years in the league. Dalton's rankings under those qualifications are:

Attempts - 9th of 35 that qualify
Completions - 10th of 35 that qualify
Completion%- 26th with 4 non-qualifiers ahead of him. 22nd out of 35 that qualify
Yards - 10th of 35 that qualify
Yards per attempt - 27th with 4 non-qualifiers ahead of him. 23rd out of 35 that qualify
TDs - 10th of 35 that qualify
Interceptions - 56th with 26 non-qualifiers ahead of him. 30th out of 35 that qualify
QB Rating - 24th with 1 non-qualifier ahead of him. 23rd out of 35 that qualify

So, while he is top 10 in that time in Attempts, Completions, Yards and TDs, as i said in 2013, the thing that keeps him near the bottom 3rd in rating is his lower Completion%, Yards per Attempt and number of Interceptions.

All of that just to say, Driskel is not even as "good" as Dalton has been. 

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Nicomo Cosca - 12-18-2018

(12-18-2018, 02:07 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: AJ the great also disappears under the lights.

He had 3 TD against Baltimore in prime time just this year.

And 117 yds against KC on SNF (although I’m sure people will discount much of those as “garbage time”)

He should have had the game wining TD in our last playoff game if not for a meltdown that had nothing to do with him.

He had 80 yds one of the Houston playoff games. Not spectacular, but it’s not exactly “disappearing” either.

These are just the ones off the top of my head.

(12-18-2018, 03:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He had 3 TD against Baltimore in prime time just this year.

And 117 yds against KC on SNF (although I’m sure people will discount much of those as “garbage time”)

He should have had the game wining TD in our last playoff game if not for a meltdown that had nothing to do with him.

He had 80 yds one of the Houston playoff games. Not spectacular, but it’s not exactly “disappearing” either.

2012 he was open in the end zone for the go ahead TD and Dalton over threw him. 

(12-18-2018, 03:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He had 3 TD against Baltimore in prime time just this year.  - He owns Baltimore

And 117 yds against KC on SNF (although I’m sure people will discount much of those as “garbage time”) - It was.

He should have had the game wining TD in our last playoff game if not for a meltdown that had nothing to do with him.  - True

He had 80 yds one of the Houston playoff games. Not spectacular, but it’s not exactly “disappearing” either. - Not exactly AJ The Great type of numbers. Looking for him to have a Baltimore type game against a team that isn't Baltimore here. Both Marvin and AJ do Baltimore well.

Again, most of this isn't Greens fault it's just part of Marvin Ball. He doesn't have his team ready for big games and the result is EVERYONE usually sucks in those games. This has happened over many different rosters.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-18-2018

(12-18-2018, 04:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 2012 he was open in the end zone for the go ahead TD and Dalton over threw him. 

2013 against SD he was wide open to bring the game back within a score and he dropped the ball. Mellow

Shit happens. It just seems to always happen under Merv.

(12-18-2018, 12:21 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: How the **** do you know he was harder on Dalton. That's just a bias statement by a Dalton defender. The guy doesn't have any favorites from the looks of it. 

Didn't you say earlier in this thread that media types were biased against the Bengals? I guess not when it comes to the QB? 

We get it mullsy....you hate the QB.

(12-18-2018, 02:00 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Has Andy had bad games, sure he has. But when putting up stats i think you have to remember most of his have come from 2 quarters of play and then the dramatic fourth quarter comeback because MARVIN ALWAYS GETS SHUT DOWN AT HALFTIME. So, yeah because of that Andy usually sucks in the 3rd quarter. His stats come from TWO AND A HALF QUARTERS OF PLAY. (1st,2nd, half of 4th)

Add up the abysmal 3rd quarters and you get 16 quarters or 4 total games worth of bad stats. I'll leave the 4th quarter alone because sometimes they score in the late third early fourth. But for shit and giggles that equals another 8 quarters of usual bad stats until the late fourth quarter comeback. Take that abyss out and Dalton's numbers look a lot better.

Marvin Ball.

(12-18-2018, 07:44 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Again, most of this isn't Greens fault it's just part of Marvin Ball. He doesn't have his team ready for big games and the result is EVERYONE usually sucks in those games. This has happened over many different rosters.

You make a great point about Marvin Ball.  We've had umpteen OCs during his tenure, played with 3 different starters, and a handful of backups that have seen extensive playing time, and it's all the same.  Those "journalistic jargons" seem to be a real thing. Hmm 

Mediocre Merv is why I have a tough time blaming players.....not some fabricated "love" or "family ties".

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - sandwedge - 12-18-2018

(12-18-2018, 03:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He had 3 TD against Baltimore in prime time just this year.

Did he throw those balls to himself?  Ninja

(12-18-2018, 04:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 2012 he was open in the end zone for the go ahead TD and Dalton over threw him. 

In the SD playoff game, didn't he drop a perfectly thrown ball in the EZ???  I guess Dalton is the only QB that has ever thrown a bad ball....

I gotta give Driskel some credit here, he threw for more yards than sCam Newton this week!!!!!!

(12-18-2018, 12:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Did he throw those balls to himself?  Ninja

They were all circus catches. Ninja

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - bfine32 - 12-18-2018

(12-18-2018, 12:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: In the SD playoff game, didn't he drop a perfectly thrown ball in the EZ???  I guess Dalton is the only QB that has ever thrown a bad ball....

It was a ball that AJ should have caught but it was not perfect. AJ had to break stride allowing the defender to get back in the play. 

No Andy is not the only QB to throw a bad ball. From what I have read some dude named Driskel has never thrown a good one

(12-18-2018, 01:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It was a ball that AJ should have caught but it was not perfect. AJ had to break stride allowing the defender to get back in the play. 

No Andy is not the only QB to throw a bad ball. From what I have read some dude named Driskel has never thrown a good one

If I remember correctly that pass went right over Aj's shoulder and through AJ's arms..

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Fullrock - 12-18-2018

You people who continue to support Dalton (a QB that ranks somewhere between 15-20 in the league) crack me up when you have made the decision how terrible Driskel is after 3 starts. If you know ANYTHING about football, you know it takes time for QB's to develop. Let me remind you that your beloved "Average Andy" threw for less than 200 yards in 10 out of 17 games in his rookie year.

Jared Goff had a stellar 71.2 passer rating and threw 5 TD's and 7 picks in his first 7 starts for the Rams. Good thing they didn't write him off as "terrible" huh? Hall of Famer Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his first season. The list can go on and on. It takes time to develop a QB people. This is the kid's first regular season action. You cannot replicate the speed of the game in practice or in the preseason when you are playing against people who don't make rosters.

Driskel has good size, runs a 4.5 40, has good arm strength, and is by all accounts an intelligent kid. Has he missed some throws? Of course. Has he made some impressive throws into tight windows? Yes. He was working with a severely short-handed deck Sunday after Boyd went out. John Ross was the No. 1 receiver at that point. That would have been a tough thing for the 8 year veteran Dalton, let alone a kid making his 3rd start.

As is so predictable, this coaching staff has tried to fit a QB who brings a different skill set to the equation into an offense designed for a different type of player at the position (Dalton). I have no idea what Driskel can develop into, and neither does anyone else at this point. Maybe he IS terrible. Maybe he isn't. What I do know is the tools are there. Again, we have seen Dalton for 8 years and know EXACTLY what he is. Good enough to win some games and bad enough to lose some games. At the end of the day you get average. Average hasn't been good enough to win a playoff game for 8 years. At what point do you move on?

This team has so many holes. They will be the worst team in the division next year. May as well see if you can develop the tools of Driskel into something in an offense designed to take advantage of his tools. What's the difference between 4 and 6 wins? As currently constructed, I can't see this team winning more than 6 games next year with Dalton under center.

RE: Driskel should be starter next year - PhilHos - 12-18-2018

This thread turned into a real classic thread thanks to wolverine's (trolling?) posts. I only wish I had participated more.