Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? (/Thread-Was-this-a-bad-year-to-replace-Marv)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Shake n Blake - 01-08-2019

Obviously we all (most?) wanted him gone, but from what I've read (and I kinda felt this way already) this is a pretty weak crop of candidates, with a ton of openings (8). In years past, there's always been 2-3 hot candidates with sparkling resumes, with fewer openings. Guys like Pederson, Nagy, Reich, McVay etc.

Now it seems each of the current candidates has serious questions.

Bieniemy - Pretty green. 1 year as OC and didn't call plays.
Monken - His offense produced a lot of yards, but also a lot of turnovers. Wasn't as impressive in previous years.
Taylor - No coordinator experience
Waldron - See Taylor
McDaniels - failed miserably as a HC already, yet he's very choosy (thankfully)
Joseph - Failed miserably in Denver
Arians - Good coach, but only interested in coaching 1 team

I guess we can hope that the Bengals are waiting on a guy that's still coaching. So who is your favorite candidate that is still coaching? Do you think we're in a tough year to fill the spot?

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Atomic Orange - 01-08-2019

Yes, should have been done after SD game with Zimmer standing right there. Nothing really out there getting me pumped - a bunch of what ifs.

Chances of being bungled are high

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Millhouse - 01-08-2019

With the reputation the Bengals have, any year to replace Marv is a bad one when it comes to hot candidates. Because why would they come here under Mike Brown when they could go to better organizations willing to do more to win.

Now assuming the Bengals actually have had a superb front office and organization reputation, then this is probably a down year, though time will tell.

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - bengalfan74 - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 02:51 PM)Millhouse Wrote: With the reputation the Bengals have, any year to replace Marv is a bad one when it comes to hot candidates. Because why would they come here under Mike Brown when they could go to better organizations willing to do more to win.

Now assuming the Bengals actually have had a superb front office and organization reputation, then this is probably a down year, though time will tell.

Agreed,

I'm not sure with our current GM there's going to be a "good year" ? Despite guys trying to pump up the good reasons coaches would wanna come here they pale in comparison to the Main Reason they don't.

I'm hoping, beyond all hope, that the announcement is going to be made along with our new HC that our GM is hanging up his hat.

Hey, it's alright to dream  Dancing

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-08-2019

This move needed to be made years ago no question but i actually like a lot of these candidates and you never know until they make the move to HC if it is a good move or not. No one knew McVay was going to be as good as he has been for the Rams, same with Pederson and Nagy. Hopefully we get the next up and coming HC.

I like all of Bienemy, Taylor, Monken, Richard and now the new name out there in Eberflus.

Bottom line, we moved on from Marv and that is a good thing.

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Shake n Blake - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 02:51 PM)Millhouse Wrote: With the reputation the Bengals have, any year to replace Marv is a bad one when it comes to hot candidates. Because why would they come here under Mike Brown when they could go to better organizations willing to do more to win.

I hate getting into these redundant debates, but Marv himself was a hot candidate when we hired him. I'm just saying with 8 openings and fewer candidates that pop off the page, the chances are slim no matter what team we're talking about. The Packers are hiring LaFleur, who didn't really impress in his season as OC of the Titans. 

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Nately120 - 01-08-2019

Arians might be off the table, and it sure isn't with the one team he said he'd un-retire for....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001008975/article/buccaneers-to-offer-head-coach-job-to-bruce-arians

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - GodFather - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we all (most?) wanted him gone, but from what I've read (and I kinda felt this way already) this is a pretty weak crop of candidates, with a ton of openings (8). In years past, there's always been 2-3 hot candidates with sparkling resumes, with fewer openings. Guys like Pederson, Nagy, Reich, McVay etc.

Monken - His offense produced a lot of yards, but also a lot of turnovers. Wasn't as impressive in previous years.
Waldron - See Taylor

I guess we can hope that the Bengals are waiting on a guy that's still coaching. So who is your favorite candidate that is still coaching? Do you think we're in a tough year to fill the spot?

I realistically don't think a really good/hot prospective coach would want to come to Cincy. Mikey has quite the reputation running the organization and a coach would have a choice and would obviously choose complete control which he won't get here.

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - XenoMorph - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 03:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I hate getting into these redundant debates, but Marv himself was a hot candidate when we hired him. I'm just saying with 8 openings and fewer candidates that pop off the page, the chances are slim no matter what team we're talking about. The Packers are hiring LaFleur, who didn't really impress in his season as OC of the Titans. 

down to 6 with the bucs negotiating with Arians   

Maybe 5 soon in Elway picks between munchack and VicFango

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - bengalfan74 - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 03:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This move needed to be made years ago no question but i actually like a lot of these candidates and you never know until they make the move to HC if it is a good move or not. No one knew McVay was going to be as good as he has been for the Rams, same with Pederson and Nagy. Hopefully we get the next up and coming HC.

I like all of Bienemy, Taylor, Monken, Richard and now the new name out there in Eberflus.

Bottom line, we moved on from Marv and that is a good thing.

I'd be pickled tink with any of those guys.

I fell like I've said this a thousand times but the main thing I want to see is change ! We've got to go in a new direction. If we go 4-12 next season oh well.

I just want out of this 28 year rut !

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - J24 - 01-08-2019

No it wasn't a bad year to replace Marvin; good coaches are everywhere you just have to look and have an open mind. You have to be able to embrace different in order to succeed. Hopefully the coaching committee understands that.

(01-08-2019, 03:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: I realistically don't think a really good/hot prospective coach would want to come to Cincy. Mikey has quite the reputation running the organization and a coach would have a choice and would obviously choose complete control which he won't get here.

I get that I may be in the minority in my opinion, but again, Marv was a hot candidate back in 2003. And even if you assume hot candidates would want to avoid Cincy, our chances clearly go down when there are more openings (8 is a lot) and fewer hot candidates. 

For example, (IIRC) there were only 5 openings when Marv got hired, and plenty of big names like Denny Green, Tom Coughlin, Marvin and Mularky. It increased the odds that we'd land a top candidate.

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 03:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd be pickled tink with any of those guys.

I fell like I've said this a thousand times but the main thing I want to see is change ! We've got to go in a new direction. If we go 4-12 next season oh well.

I just want out of this 28 year rut !

Well i am pretty sure we will see a big time change and hopefully for the better. I am with Sled on this one that if we were going to hire from inside it would of already happened. It will be an outside hire which has me excited as this is exactly what this team desperately needed. All of those candidates are creative and aggressive to boot.

RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - ochocincos - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we all (most?) wanted him gone, but from what I've read (and I kinda felt this way already) this is a pretty weak crop of candidates, with a ton of openings (8). In years past, there's always been 2-3 hot candidates with sparkling resumes, with fewer openings. Guys like Pederson, Nagy, Reich, McVay etc.

Waldron - See Taylor

This is actually false. Zac Taylor became interim OC after Lazor was fired in Miami. However, he was not retained in that role when Dolphins brought in Adam Gase to be the HC.

(01-08-2019, 03:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that I may be in the minority in my opinion, but again, Marv was a hot candidate back in 2003. And even if you assume hot candidates would want to avoid Cincy, our chances clearly go down when there are more openings (8 is a lot) and fewer hot candidates. 

For example, (IIRC) there were only 5 openings when Marv got hired, and plenty of big names like Denny Green, Tom Coughlin, Marvin and Mularky. It increased the odds that we'd land a top candidate.

Yes and Marv was what? Like the 6th highest paid coach in the league and had a job for 16 years here?

I think this would entice just about anyone besides McDaniels lol

Didn't want this guy anyways.

There's never going to be a perfect candidate. Try to find the best available. If that person does a bad job, replace next year or the year after that.

(01-08-2019, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is actually false. Zac Taylor became interim OC after Lazor was fired in Miami. However, he was not retained in that role when Dolphins brought in Adam Gase to be the HC.

Apologies. I forgot about Taylor's 5 games as an interim.

(01-08-2019, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes and Marv was what? Like the 6th highest paid coach in the league and had a job for 16 years here?

I think this would entice just about anyone besides McDaniels lol

Didn't want this guy anyways.

Marv got paid, had the best job security, and had more autonomy than most coaches. I think some underestimate the value of these things.

And I'm thrilled we didn't get McDaniels (who just announced he's staying in NE).

(01-08-2019, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's never going to be a perfect candidate. Try to find the best available. If that person does a bad job, replace next year or the year after that.

If we were a normal team, I wouldn't be as worried. We may keep this guy for a long...long...long time.

(01-08-2019, 03:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apologies. I forgot about Taylor's 5 games as an interim.

Marv got paid, had the best job security, and had more autonomy than most coaches. I think some underestimate the value of these things.

And I'm thrilled we didn't get McDaniels (who just announced he's staying in NE).

Most people did. I didn't realize it until I was looking at Dolphins coaches from the past few years and saw his name pop up.

(01-08-2019, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we were a normal team, I wouldn't be as worried. We may keep this guy for a long...long...long time.

I view it in the business way of, "Well, this guy is doing solid as a director, but not ideally where we want to be. However, he's really brought the organization up a lot from where it was and has had some successful years in the past, so let's give him another shot to prove himself."

Most people (fans especially) don't want to see their favorite sports teams run like a regular business though.