Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Hobson's Media Mock - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Hobson's Media Mock (/Thread-Hobson-s-Media-Mock)

Pages: 1 2

Hobson's Media Mock - sandwedge - 01-10-2019

Hobson had us taking Clemson's DT Christian Wlkerson.... Good player, but that doesn't address the glaring weakness of this defense.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - fozzie11 - 01-10-2019

Hobson is a moron...

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Yojimbo - 01-10-2019

I’d love the pick. Wilkins is easily one of the top 10 most talented players in the draft and would be an enormous upgrade over Billings.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Bengalpool - 01-10-2019

While we're cleaning house, could we get a new Bengals.com writer too?

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - ochocincos - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 01:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Hobson had us taking Clemson's DT Christian Wlkerson.... Good player, but that doesn't address the glaring weakness of this defense.

As for the selection of Wilkins (not Wilkerson), he's a damn good player, and I'd be happy to see him as a Bengal. I think he can do it all from all over the DL in a 4-3. 
But I disagree with the logic. The logic is ignore LB because the pick HAS to be OT or DT. The reasoning is because the Bengals "got gashed" on defense, but the implication is that the DL is fully responsible for the gashing but not the LBs? It should be pretty obvious that the DL (especially DT) play was far better than LB and LBs are just as responsible for stopping both the run and pass as DL are. Last, some would disagree that Wilkins would be the best defensive player available at this spot anyway. I know that Hobson said "best defensive player in the national championship game," but you can't determine the best defensive player solely off of the national championship game. Some (many?) would argue that Ed Oliver or Devin White are BDPA's at this point, not Wilkins.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - ochocincos - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 05:22 PM)Takedown Wrote: While we're cleaning house, could we get a new Bengals.com writer too?

Imagine how cool it would be if someone from this very board became the Bengals.com writer?

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Bengalpool - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 08:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine how cool it would be if someone from this very board became the Bengals.com writer?

That would be crazy exciting. Knowing that person would potentially still remain an active member of the board, we could get some inside scoops possibly Wink

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - psychdoctor - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 08:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine how cool it would be if someone from this very board became the Bengals.com writer?

They would not last long.  

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Bengalpool - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 01:27 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: They would not last long.  

Well. No, but... Ugh....

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - sandwedge - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 08:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As for the selection of Wilkins (not Wilkerson), he's a damn good player, and I'd be happy to see him as a Bengal. I think he can do it all from all over the DL in a 4-3. 
But I disagree with the logic. The logic is ignore LB because the pick HAS to be OT or DT. The reasoning is because the Bengals "got gashed" on defense, but the implication is that the DL is fully responsible for the gashing but not the LBs? It should be pretty obvious that the DL (especially DT) play was far better than LB and LBs are just as responsible for stopping both the run and pass as DL are. Last, some would disagree that Wilkins would be the best defensive player available at this spot anyway. I know that Hobson said "best defensive player in the national championship game," but you can't determine the best defensive player solely off of the national championship game. Some (many?) would argue that Ed Oliver or Devin White are BDPA's at this point, not Wilkins.

Thanks for correction. This was my thinking also. Good player, but we have young guys like Ringo and Scott, Washington that were playing good. I feel more confident about our DL than our LBs. 

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Au165 - 01-11-2019

No, and here is why. After Williams you have a group of guys in Oliver, Simmons, Lawrence, Wilkins, Jones and Tillery that are all similar talent wise. They each have their own positives and negatives but in terms of depth of top talent I think DT is the most talented group in this years draft. To take one at 11 would be a waste especially anyone besides Williams because that next group could be had at 15-32 pretty easily so a trade back would be the move. I actually think some CB's will rise pushing one of that group to our 2nd round pick, which in the 2nd take a crack but not in the 1st.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - McC - 01-12-2019

(01-11-2019, 01:27 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: They would not last long.  

Telling the truth would be their undoing.

On the other hand, it depends on the salary.  Certain principles can be bought.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - PikesPeakUC - 01-13-2019

(01-11-2019, 05:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, and here is why. After Williams you have a group of guys in Oliver, Simmons, Lawrence, Wilkins, Jones and Tillery that are all similar talent wise. They each have their own positives and negatives but in terms of depth of top talent I think DT is the most talented group in this years draft. To take one at 11 would be a waste especially anyone besides Williams because that next group could be had at 15-32 pretty easily so a trade back would be the move. I actually think some CB's will rise pushing one of that group to our 2nd round pick, which in the 2nd take a crack but not in the 1st.

I agree with DT being the deepest position here. I know we're not usually a trade back team that often ( though last year's seemed a bit of a fluke considering we picked up Glenn and it wasn't just picks. ), but I feel like this would be a prime year for it. I would love Devin White, but if we ultimately settle on someone like Mack Wilson later on in the second round as well as extra assets, I'd be just fine with it. \

I think LB is our biggest need. Our linebackers were basically Swiss cheese in coverage and allowed above an 80 percent completion percentage when they were targeted. The old school thumper types are kind of a relic at this point, and I know that people will say "you only really play two linebackers these days", which is true. The problem is that we don't really have two adequate players to throw out there right now unless you're buying into Vigil. 

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - HarleyDog - 01-13-2019

(01-12-2019, 02:19 AM)McC Wrote: Telling the truth would be their undoing.

Judging by his writing skills, it don’t pay much.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - wolfkaosaun - 01-13-2019

He's my #5 DT. Would not be a fan of taking him at #11 overall

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - SHRacerX - 01-14-2019

(01-11-2019, 05:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, and here is why. After Williams you have a group of guys in Oliver, Simmons, Lawrence, Wilkins, Jones and Tillery that are all similar talent wise. They each have their own positives and negatives but in terms of depth of top talent I think DT is the most talented group in this years draft. To take one at 11 would be a waste especially anyone besides Williams because that next group could be had at 15-32 pretty easily so a trade back would be the move. I actually think some CB's will rise pushing one of that group to our 2nd round pick, which in the 2nd take a crack but not in the 1st.

This.  And don't get caught up in the "ok, that was defense, this one needs to be offense" game.  The Bengals need that impact LB (hopefully White) and from what I know about him he doesn't have the behavioral issues of a Reuben Foster.  If a top rated DT is there in the 2nd round, you take him.  Our defense was legendarily bad last year.  Sure, some of that was scheme, and once they played more man with their 1st round CBs, they showed improvement.  However, they desperately need upgrades to be able to compete with the speed of teams like KC. 

I will be the minority here, but I am really hoping they focus on the RT position over the RG position.  I think the tandem of Redmond and Westerman can compete for RG and will be much better in year 2 (of playing experience).  I think a lot of the pass-blocking issues were at RT.  The run blocking was actually pretty good, although PFF seems to think otherwise.  

Also really hoping for FA help with the LB position.  A veteran in the mix with Vigil, White (if we are lucky), and Evans would be a huge upgrade.  

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Stewy - 01-14-2019

(01-12-2019, 02:19 AM)McC Wrote: Telling the truth would be their undoing.

Ok guys....I know you know this, so I don't understand even the partial attempt at seriousness.

Hobson is a Bengals employee.  His stories are filtered through the FO.  There could have been 10 different writers each using the label of Geoff Hobson, and you'd never get the "truth".  Hobson isn't journalist; he's a Bengal employed media liaison and anyone employed in that position would be the same.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - ochocincos - 01-14-2019

(01-11-2019, 01:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Thanks for correction. This was my thinking also. Good player, but we have young guys like Ringo and Scott, Washington that were playing good. I feel more confident about our DL than our LBs. 

Everyone does lol. But especially if Devin White doesn't declare, there won't be a LB worth taking at 11. And for OL, I don't think there's a great option for 11 either unless Jonah Williams happens to be there. There should be a few DTs worth that selection though.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Au165 - 01-14-2019

(01-14-2019, 10:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone does lol. But especially if Devin White doesn't declare, there won't be a LB worth taking at 11. And for OL, I don't think there's a great option for 11 either unless Jonah Williams happens to be there. There should be a few DTs worth that selection though.

To be fair Vander Esch was a late riser last year. Most saw him as a late 1st maybe early 2nd then he ended up going 19th which most people would have said was a bit high. There could be a late riser or two here, especially after people were tepid to pull the trigger in the 1st on Leonard last year because he came from a small school but see how big of an impact he made.  I could see Devin Bush of Michigan being the late riser this year with a blazing combine, sneaks into the bottom of the 1st or beyond.

People have undervalued stack linebackers for a while now but the rejuvenation of Dallas's defense on the back of two young fast linebackers may cause a bit of a rebound effect.

RE: Hobson's Media Mock - Goalpost - 01-14-2019

This draft just smells of trade down sometimes. Get Mack Wilson later and then trade up for an OT.