Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life (/Thread-I-expect-the-coaching-changes-to-give-Dalton-a-new-lease-on-his-Bengals-life)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Nicomo Cosca - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 10:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: The issues are also fictional. Andy is regarded (and coaches not on the Bengals have spoken of this before) as having good pocket awareness and no arm strength issues. The "panic" issue is also fictional.

We are dealing with either or both of a troll and/or a sockpuppet - one wishes the mods would act on this as the spamming is getting annoying. 

No it’s not. Van Pelt was definitely helping him with it though early in the season.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - rfaulk34 - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 07:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here we are at the same point we reach in every Dalton debate.

Dalton is not an elite QB, but he is not a bad QB either.  The question is  "How hard is it to find an elite QB, and do we have to have an elite QB to win a championship?"  The fact is that it is so difficult to find an elite QB that most teams in the NFL build around a good one when they can.  Dalton is good enough to build around.  QBs as good as Dalton aren't that easy to find.  We certainly are not going to spend the money needed to sign a free agent QB better than Dalton, and as I have pointed out before only 5 of the 25 QBs taken in the first round since 2011 have a career passer rating better than Dalton.

It is easy to squeal about how Dalton is just "average" or "mediocre", but it is much harder to address the problem in the real world and say exactly where we are going to get a clear upgrade. Since we got Dalton in 2011 eleven of the 25 QBs taken in the first round have a passer rating in the 60's or 70's.  

While Marvin was our head coach Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbach, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, and Nick Foles have all taken teams to the Super Bowl.  None of those QBs are significantly better than Dalton.

So it isn't just about Dalton being "average".  It is about the ability to find a better QB at a price we can afford.

This looks more like game, set, match than the previously claimed post.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 08:53 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: We shouldn't be counting on drafting so early next year.....even this year at 11 will be hard to get a QB

Why would you waste a pick at #11 on a quarterback when the Bengals have more pressing needs at linebacker and on the offensive line? Drafting skill players first looks sexy on the surface but consistent winners are built from the trenches outward.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bfine32 - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why would you waste a pick at #11 on a quarterback when the Bengals have more pressing needs at linebacker and on the offensive line? Drafting skill players first looks sexy on the surface but consistent winners are built from the trenches outward.

What makes you think it's a waste? A pick at LB (Rivers) or Oline (Ced) can also be a waste if you miss. There's no longer the financial risk with taking a QB in the 1st that there was a few years back. 

Did KC have more pressing needs when they took Mahomes?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What makes you think it's a waste? A pick at LB (Rivers) or Oline (Ced) can also be a waste if you miss.

But when we took those guys they replaced nobodies.  It is a waste because we already have a QB who is in the top half of the starting QBs in the league.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did KC have more pressing needs when they took Mahomes?

KC had won 11 games with the #13 scoring offense and #7 defense.

I seriously doubt if they had as many serious holes as a 6-10 team with the #30 defense and #17 offense.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bfine32 - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: KC had won 11 games with the #13 scoring offense and #7 defense.

I seriously doubt if they had as many serious holes as a 6-10 team with the #30 defense and #17 offense.

Who said they had more holes? And doesn't pointing to scoring offense kinda prove my point? 

I get you've dug your heels in, but drafting a QB early is not automatically a waste, when your current QB finished 26 of 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - The Real Deal - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who said they had more holes? And doesn't pointing to scoring offense kinda prove my point? 

I get you've dug your heels in, but drafting a QB early is not automatically a waste, when your current QB finished 26 of 32

We should just use Driskel. Or go get Mccarron, right?

All better.

(01-13-2019, 11:31 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: We should just use Driskel. Or go get Mccarron, right?

All better.

Uuuhmm no.. and I've never said any such thing.

You guys are hilarious; yet the anti-Dalton dude in this thread is the troll. 

(01-13-2019, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who said they had more holes?

So you agree that KC did not have as many holes (needs) when they drafted Mahomes as we do right now?

You basically agree with my reasoning about drafting a QB.  It is a waste to take a gamble on a QB when we have other more pressing needs.

(01-13-2019, 11:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Uuuhmm no.. and I've never said any such thing.

So you have never suggested that McCarron would have been a better choice at QB than Dalton?

C'mon, Bfine, at least be man enough to own it.  You really want to make me go back and find a quote to prove it?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - rfaulk34 - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you agree that KC did not have as many holes (needs) when they drafted Mahomes as we do right now?

You basically agree with my reasoning about drafting a QB.  It is a waste to take a gamble on a QB when we have other more pressing needs.

Regardless of need, if you're an Andy Reid type and you hit with a guy like Mahomes, it's not a waste.

But that's contingent on hindsight. 

(01-13-2019, 11:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you have never suggested that McCarron would have been a better choice at QB than Dalton?

C'mon, Bfine, at least be man enough to own it.  You really want to make me go back and find a quote to prove it?

Man enough aside: Sure quote me and prove it. I never suggested that AJM should have the starting gig. I did state he had the best playoff game we've had in 20 years and that we were stupid for letting him walk. 

It's sorta like in this very thread where someone asserted I was hating on Andy. Seeing him for what he is doesn't equal hating.

(01-13-2019, 11:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you agree that KC did not have as many holes (needs) when they drafted Mahomes as we do right now?

no, you're just kinda talking to yourself and talking yourself into your reasoning. 

KC had more pressing needs than QB when they drafted Mahomes; just as we do this year. 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - TrevBengal - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: no, you're just kinda talking to yourself and talking yourself into your reasoning. 

KC had more pressing needs than QB when they drafted Mahomes; just as we do this year. 

Alex Smith led the NFL in Passer Rating in 2017, and then the Chiefs traded him for a 3rd round pick and a CB so Mahomes could take over

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - THE PISTONS - 01-14-2019

That's the struggle here Fred. We have a ton of needs on the offensive line and at LB. IF we use our 1st Round pick on a QB and he's a bust...that might set us back 3-4 years.

And without an offensive line, he may be a bust even if he's good.

That said, we can offset some of that risk in free agency.

KC's offense is better than ours at every position except AJ Green and Mixon. But, their RB's perform at a high level.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - The Real Deal - 01-14-2019

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - ochocincos - 01-14-2019

(01-13-2019, 01:51 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 5
Well maybe you missed some points, announcer said too much pressure on luck tonight he did not have a good game and i pointed out rhat many dont accept that with Dalton,  second Luck was #1 pick and after  1st season was going to lead Colts to Super Bowl so please tell me after 7 years have rhey made it? Also in 2015, 16 and 18 he has started as QB his record is 20 and 18 with 1 playoff appearance not what we expected from the top pick in draft by this point in his career.  He is a good QB but has not lived up to his #1 pick status especially over last 3 starting seasons he has played unless you are ok with 20 and 18 record and 1 playoff appearance from t
The #1 pick and most hyped QB in recent draft memories

He has so much hype because he was considered to be the best QB prospect of the past decade. There are a lot of expectations on him.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HuDey - 01-14-2019

(01-12-2019, 12:58 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: With Tua and Trevor biding their time......Andy needs to prove something THIS YEAR.....or adios

(01-13-2019, 07:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, who plays LT next season?

Could be Boling or a draft pick or a FA pickup. We are not good and may have to get worse before we get better. Getting rid of players like Glenn could make us weaker at the position in the short term. I am okay with that if it means that we don’t trot guys like Bodine out there for years on end.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - TrevBengal - 01-14-2019

(01-14-2019, 10:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote:

Is this supposed to get everyone excited?  Ryan Tannehill isnt very good.