Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life (/Thread-I-expect-the-coaching-changes-to-give-Dalton-a-new-lease-on-his-Bengals-life)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - McC - 01-21-2019

(01-21-2019, 08:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a unique situation because they’re moving to Vegas in 2020 anyway, and will basically be gaining an entirely new fan base. They’ll probably sell out the first season on excitement of having a team alone.

Yeah.  That is very unique.  

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bfine32 - 01-22-2019

(01-21-2019, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....for more money. Mellow

$11 Mil per year according to some, 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 01:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: $11 Mil per year according to some, 

.....I just wish we didn't have so many Dalton threads in Jungle Noise. Mellow

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-22-2019

(01-21-2019, 07:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we will see how it works out. Just don't like the moves he has made so far and i bet Raiders fans sure don't.

Don't be so sure.....I know several, one being my brother, and aside from the Mack trade, they're taking the wait and see approach.  Of course, they would LOVE for some sucker to take their "all world qb with 'upside'" off their hands and dump that cap hit. LOL 

That's seriously been my brother's only gripe....Khalil Mack and not moving Carr, same goes for a few other fans I know. They understand the necessity to unload salary and rebuild, just don't get the Mack trade.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 01:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: $11 Mil per year according to some, 

I think a huge point just went over your head.

Doesn't matter one bit if it is $11 million or $5 million.  It is still "more money" for a QB in his 6th season who is no better than Dalton.

(01-22-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a huge point just went over your head.

Doesn't matter one bit if it is $11 million or $5 million.  It is still "more money" for a QB in his 6th season who is no better than Dalton.

Pretty much, and I ceded my mistake of averaging out salary vs looking at it on sportrac or elsewhere.  It's still more money for essentially the same or slightly less production.  It's pretty much a no brainer for anyone not obsessed with tearing down the current QB.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 11:14 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Don't be so sure.....I know several, one being my brother, and aside from the Mack trade, they're taking the wait and see approach.  Of course, they would LOVE for some sucker to take their "all world qb with 'upside'" off their hands and dump that cap hit. LOL 

That's seriously been my brother's only gripe....Khalil Mack and not moving Carr, same goes for a few other fans I know. They understand the necessity to unload salary and rebuild, just don't get the Mack trade.

Good to know, the Mack trade definately stands out.

I don't know why you would let go of one of the most talented players in the NFL...

Amari Cooper ain't no punk either and letting go of your weapons doesn't help the QB...

(01-22-2019, 01:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, the Mack trade definately stands out.

I don't know why you would let go of one of the most talented players in the NFL...

Amari Cooper ain't no punk either and letting go of your weapons doesn't help the QB...

That's what I thought too, until I looked into his numbers.  He's a feast or famine type of player.....he'll have two or three shitty games in a row, then explode for around 200 yards.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad, he just appears to be inconsistent.  Of course, that could be a result of playing with Carr and Prescott too.....two QBs who can be inconsistent.

The Mack trade is a bit nuts on the surface.....but it did net some draft capital.  Time will tell if they can turn that into good production or not.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HarleyDog - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 01:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's what I thought too, until I looked into his numbers.  He's a feast or famine type of player.....he'll have two or three shitty games in a row, then explode for around 200 yards.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad, he just appears to be inconsistent.  Of course, that could be a result of playing with Carr and Prescott too.....two QBs who can be inconsistent.

The Mack trade is a bit nuts on the surface.....but it did net some draft capital.  Time will tell if they can turn that into good production or not.

Would have to lean on your suggestion that both Carr and Prescott can be inconsistent. Cooper seems to be a large part of the game plan one game, then not so much another. 

On some of the other posts, I dont think we need to go to FA for any QBs when we have a better than avg QB already here. If there is some concern on the future at QB, then a good one should be picked up in the draft if available and let him sit behind Dalton for a year. If Dalton gets hurt, then he is your starter. Well, unless he earns the job outright, then you have to start the rookie.

(01-22-2019, 02:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Would have to lean on your suggestion that both Carr and Prescott can be inconsistent. Cooper seems to be a large part of the game plan one game, then not so much another. 

On some of the other posts, I dont think we need to go to FA for any QBs when we have a better than avg QB already here. If there is some concern on the future at QB, then a good one should be picked up in the draft if available and let him sit behind Dalton for a year. If Dalton gets hurt, then he is your starter. Well, unless he earns the job outright, then you have to start the rookie.

I think that may be the case too Harley.

Absolutely agree with the last paragraph.  I'm anxious to see what the team can do with better coaching, and a better plan.  I just read an interesting article about all of this, and the writer made a good point.  The Bengals surrounded Kitna with quite a bit of talent and a new HC, and he won NFL Comeback Player of the Year, with Palmer waiting in the wings.  Andy is better than Jon was, I think he'd make a fine bridge QB with new vision for the entire team.  The last two OCs have left quite a bit to be desired.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HarleyDog - 01-22-2019

(01-22-2019, 02:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think that may be the case too Harley.

Absolutely agree with the last paragraph.  I'm anxious to see what the team can do with better coaching, and a better plan.  I just read an interesting article about all of this, and the writer made a good point.  The Bengals surrounded Kitna with quite a bit of talent and a new HC, and he won NFL Comeback Player of the Year, with Palmer waiting in the wings.  Andy is better than Jon was, I think he'd make a fine bridge QB with new vision for the entire team.  The last two OCs have left quite a bit to be desired.

Kitna. Man I miss watching him play. Dude was a tough songun! 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - sloSTI - 01-24-2019

(01-22-2019, 02:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Kitna. Man I miss watching him play. Dude was a tough songun! 

I know this is off topic, but since Kitna was mentioned, I seen on TV the other day that he might be the QB coach in Dallas.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - reuben.ahmed - 01-24-2019

Jon Kitna should be QB coach here and TJ Housh should be WR coach.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Bengalitis - 01-24-2019

I dont know, Andy Dalton has "MARVIN" written all over him. I dont think you can just take off 7 yrs off you having had Marvin as your HC for so long. Luckily many different OC but still, Marvin's legacy is probably instilled in Andy. I hope he can adapt, or he will be gone in 1-2 yrs if everyone else clicks.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - reuben.ahmed - 01-24-2019

How many years do we give Andy, for being a super nice guy?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 12:53 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I dont know, Andy Dalton has "MARVIN" written all over him. I dont think you can just take off 7 yrs off you having had Marvin as your HC for so long. Luckily many different OC but still, Marvin's legacy is probably instilled in Andy. I hope he can adapt, or he will be one in 1-2 yrs if everyone else clicks.

Yup, fair assessment.  However, Palmer had a resurgence under an offensive whiz in the desert.  It's not out of the realm of possibility.  We'll know soon.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 12:53 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I dont know, Andy Dalton has "MARVIN" written all over him. I dont think you can just take off 7 yrs off you having had Marvin as your HC for so long. Luckily many different OC but still, Marvin's legacy is probably instilled in Andy. I hope he can adapt, or he will be one in 1-2 yrs if everyone else clicks.

I worry about this too. Carson had 7 years under Marvin, and while he did win a playoff game elsewhere, he was also still pretty awful in the playoffs. 

(01-24-2019, 01:04 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: How many years do we give Andy, for being a super nice guy?

For me, he gets one year under the new HC. He earned that via his play, not being a nice guy.

If he disappoints this year, next year should be a better year to find a replacement. This year just seems like one of those years where teams reach for mediocre prospects out of need.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HarleyDog - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 12:53 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I dont know, Andy Dalton has "MARVIN" written all over him. I dont think you can just take off 7 yrs off you having had Marvin as your HC for so long. Luckily many different OC but still, Marvin's legacy is probably instilled in Andy. I hope he can adapt, or he will be gone in 1-2 yrs if everyone else clicks.

He will have his work cut out for him thats for sure. Bottom line tho, he has a job to do. He will either perform it as expected or will be let go when his contract is up. I like Andy and hope he is able to adapt to the changes. He may surprise us all. Marvin seemed more like the conservative type and maybe he was holding Andy back. We shall see but hoping for an explosive, aggressive Andy next year.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Essex Johnson - 01-24-2019

(01-24-2019, 01:04 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: How many years do we give Andy, for being a super nice guy?

Professionalism does come into play with keeping or letting go players for sure, all you have to do is look at Steelers and other teams in the past.. contracts also come into play on keeping a player over trading/releasing them.  As for Dalton, he has earned the position  not from being a nice guy but from his overall performance when you compare him to the QBs over the last 8 years of the 32 NFL teams.  

I do believe with the change in coaches, there will be a level of expectation that he  needs to get to playoffs and win over the next 2 years or will be released . 

I also believe Taylor has a bit more pressure on him to win, this team has talent in many areas and has two very possible HOF's on it.. He will not get the lease Marvin got but will be given i believe 4 to 5  years 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Earendil - 01-24-2019

Give him this next season, and then re-evaluate.  I'm just not seeing any decent prospects in this year's draft (albeit my knowledge of CFB is limited) and next year should be better.  Let him have one more year. If he does well, draft his replacement in the 2020 draft and keep him for the last year of his contract while the newbie learns behind him. If he doesn't do well, still draft his replacement and throw the kid in the deep end without water wings (or find a decent journeyman to start while the kid learns).