Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life (/Thread-I-expect-the-coaching-changes-to-give-Dalton-a-new-lease-on-his-Bengals-life)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Socal Bengals fan - 01-24-2019

0 n 7 was here for 16
0 n 4 has been here for 8 years.

How much longer do we wait or do we just continue to blAme the head coach for everything.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:45 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 0 n 7 was here for 16

How much longer do we wait or do we just continue to blAme the head coach for everything.

So you don't think Taylor is going to make any difference?

Who did you want us to sign instead?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That would be 0 and 4 in the playoffs there Fred. No one else has ever done that.

Wrong.  A QB in the Hall of Fame went 0-5.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - BengalChris - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 02:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  A QB in the Hall of Fame went 0-5.

I did mis-remember, there was one other. YA Title was also 0-4. I thought he was 0-3, but he was 0-3 for the Giants and lost another with the 49ers. But he was great, 2 time MVP.

Tied for the worst is still worst playoff record.

(01-24-2019, 06:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: A one game sample size might be a tad small. Just putting that idea out there.

In Dalton's 13 prime time starts over the last 5 years he had a passer rating of 90+ in over half of them (7) and and he had as many games with a 100+ rating (4) as he did with a rating under 80.

He posted a 137.5 rating against the Browns ('15) but his other good games were against the highest level of competition....a 111.4 rating on the road against the division champion Patriots ('14), a 110.3 in a win against a playoff bound Dolphins team ('16), a 107.7 rating in a win against division champions Ravens ('18), a 93.1 rating in a win against division champion Broncos ('14), a 95.9 rating on the road against division champion Cardinals (including a come from behind game tying td drive in the final minute), and a 95.0 rating against division champion Steelers ('17).

(01-25-2019, 02:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I did mis-remember, there was one other. YA Title was also 0-4. I thought he was 0-3, but he was 0-3 for the Giants and lost another with the 49ers. But he was great, 2 time MVP.

Tied for the worst is still worst playoff record.

Sorry, still wrong.  Tittle was 0-5.

Colts '48
49ers '57
Giants '61-'63

Also glad you acknowledge that great QBs can have poor postseason records.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Earendil - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We will only find that out for sure after the next couple of seasons.

Agreed, which is why I would like to see him get a year with the new coaching staff.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bengalfan74 - 01-25-2019

Ya see it wasn't just the HC, it wasn't just the owner, it wasn't just the OC or DC. It was the entire culture built here and the dysfunction of the entire system.

MB allowed PA to run amok with ketchup bottles and destroy the Oline with his ego. MB over ruled on draft picks and wouldn't fill holes in free agency. ML and whoever else refused to admit defeat on players who weren't working out. ML didn't hold his buddy players accountable. They made lazy hires (Zampese) and sunk an entire season. They abandoned loyalty when they should have rewarded it - Big Whit. They stayed loyal to players they should have let go - MJ.

The bad decisions, lack of accountability, bad drafts, lack of real free agents all added up. Then you add in ML's lack of ability to coach in the clutch and get his team prepared to go against the best under the lights and it was a recipe for disaster.

Marvin Lewis was an integral part of the dysfunctional, broken culture that's sum was failure. It seems they've finally admitted it and are in the process of changing the culture.

Does all this mean AD and Co. are going to set the NFL world on fire ? No But I'd sure like to see what they can do with better competency above them and a better culture around them.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Bengalitis - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you guys want to get rid of green, atkins, dunlap, boling, boyd, and mixon also?

Eventually the Bengals will get rid of the older ones. Fortunately, none of them you mention are the QB who run the offense. Tongue per thread title "coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life" Cool

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-25-2019

Well, the coach lost more and is the lone constant, so..... Hmm 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - PhilHos - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm assuming you came up with 9th because you only considered active QBs. Did you notice there were only 13 on the list?

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement. 

Ahem: "This sortable table shows the top 100 NFL quarterbacks in order of regular season wins, since the start of the modern era, 1950."

Only 13 active QBs made the list of the top 100 winningest QBs since 1950 with Dalton being one of the 13 sure sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. Heck, being the 69th winningest QB since 1950 also sounds like a pretty big deal, especially when you consider the myriad number of QBs there have been throughout the past 68 years.

You know, for a guy who supposedly doesn't hate Dalton, you sure sound like a guy that hates Dalton.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - PhilHos - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That would be 0 and 4 in the playoffs there Fred. No one else has ever done that.

Hall of Famer Y.A. Tittle says that's not true at all.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Earendil - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 12:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You know, for a guy who supposedly doesn't hate Dalton, you sure sound like a guy that hates Dalton.

Shhh.... you're going to blow his cover.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-25-2019

(01-24-2019, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm assuming you came up with 9th because you only considered active QBs. Did you notice there were only 13 on the list?

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement. 

You don't have to assume when I said "in the league". Pretty sure Joe Montana and Dan Marino aren't "in the league" anymore.

If you think being .001 percentage point behind Brees and .001 point above Newton isn't a good spot, I'll let that speak for itself.

Btw, Dalton's percentage sure beats the pants off of Marvin's .518 (.464 without Andy), yet you defended Marv for years. Funny.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 03:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You don't have to assume when I said "in the league". Pretty sure Joe Montana and Dan Marino aren't "in the league" anymore.

If you think being .001 percentage point behind Brees and .001 point above Newton isn't a good spot, I'll let that speak for itself.

Btw, Dalton's percentage sure beats the pants off of Marvin's .518 (.464 without Andy), yet you defended Marv for years. Funny.

What ever happened to Germaine Gresham? Hmm

Ninja LMAO

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bfine32 - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 12:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Ahem: "This sortable table shows the top 100 NFL quarterbacks in order of regular season wins, since the start of the modern era, 1950."

Only 13 active QBs made the list of the top 100 winningest QBs since 1950 with Dalton being one of the 13 sure sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. Heck, being the 69th winningest QB since 1950 also sounds like a pretty big deal, especially when you consider the myriad number of QBs there have been throughout the past 68 years.

You know, for a guy who supposedly doesn't hate Dalton, you sure sound like a guy that hates Dalton.

No doubt Andy has played in a lot of games; but look at the stud Joe Flacco is.

So Andy finished 9 of 13 of the active QBs that qualified? Well hell, where's the Gold Jacket

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bfine32 - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 03:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You don't have to assume when I said "in the league". Pretty sure Joe Montana and Dan Marino aren't "in the league" anymore.

Of course none of that changes his ranking 9 out of 13 on the list. As I said: Maybe something you don't want to hang your hat on. 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Essex Johnson - 01-25-2019

Can't wait for Dalton to lead with a new head coach I see great things on the horizon

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 07:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course none of that changes his ranking 9 out of 13 on the list. As I said: Maybe something you don't want to hang your hat on. 

Here's a more comprehensive list from Pro Football Database:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?type=&alltime=&sort=pct

Among current QB's with at least 16 starts, Dalton ranks 19th out of 49. 
Among QB's with at least 48 starts (3 seasons), Dalton ranks 13th out of 32

This is including playoff games, which obviously doesn't help Dalton's cause, yet he's still well into the top half.

:andy:

(01-25-2019, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Here's a more comprehensive list from Pro Football Database:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?type=&alltime=&sort=pct

Among current QB's with at least 16 starts, Dalton ranks 19th out of 49. 
Among QB's with at least 48 starts (3 seasons), Dalton ranks 13th out of 32

This is including playoff games, which obviously doesn't help Dalton's cause, yet he's still well into the top half.

:andy:

I've never argued that comparing Andy to career back ups makes him look better. But folks can look at any list you can provide and see he's nothing more than an average NFL starting QB. 

WTS, nothing wrong with average if your focus is elsewhere. But let's not try to make him more than he is.