Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life (/Thread-I-expect-the-coaching-changes-to-give-Dalton-a-new-lease-on-his-Bengals-life)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - bengalfan74 - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 05:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep! I'm keeping an open mind to the player personnel moves this off-season as I expect the new coaching staff will get more from these same players. Of course, some players won't de-mediocrize and they'll have to be let go at some point, but I believe most of them will respond positively.

(01-26-2019, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This change was needed probably worse than any team needed a change in the NFL.

Who knows how these players respond? It is like being under water for 2 minutes and finally reaching the surface.

No doubt

Players that have been average or around there - Ross, Vigil, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, Dalton may just take off like wildfire ?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - BengalChris - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 05:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No doubt

Players that have been average or around there - Ross, Vigil, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, Dalton may just take off like wildfire ?

If that happens and the OL and LBers get fixed with fresh faces this team could advance past the opening round of the playoffs.

That's some big ifs though.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - BengalsRocker - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This change was needed probably worse than any team needed a change in the NFL.

Who knows how these players respond? It is like being under water for 2 minutes and finally reaching the surface.

We're about to find out if they were just below the surface or struggling to breathe just above it.

People always got their underwear in a bunch when talking about the jettison of Lewis years ago because they feared the 90s dark ages.

The team just can't keep grasping to the "also ran" mentality that got them by and take a chance.

We shall see.  We shall see...

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 05:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No doubt

Good coaching should help, been saying for years that we have lots of talented players, the coaching just needs to get better.

From everything i am hearing about Taylor is that he is a not just a good coach but a great one. If he can just be good, we should be better than we were before he got here. Need to make adjustments and adapt, this is how you win in the NFL now. Not just following the same old template of the coaches of old.

(01-26-2019, 05:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If that happens and the OL and LBers get fixed with fresh faces this team could advance past the opening round of the playoffs.

That's some big ifs though.

Big ifs but atleast there is a chance now. PA and Haslett were terrible, i want to see who these guy's replacements are.

(01-26-2019, 05:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: We're about to find out if they were just below the surface or struggling to breathe just above it.

People always got their underwear in a bunch when talking about the jettison of Lewis years ago because they feared the 90s dark ages.

The team just can't keep grasping to the "also ran" mentality that got them by and take a chance.

We shall see.  We shall see...

Yes, have to strive to be great, not just mediocre. Cannot be scared, have to gamble sometimes.

This will be interesting and probably the most excited i have been in an Offseason as a Bengals fan.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - McC - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 04:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Please don't take this personally as I'm directly this next statement squarely at Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown.

If you don't believe you can win, then you lost right there because you had that belief.

If you have someone who believes there are no opportunities in the world for them, then I assure you that that person will be blind to any opportunity present and simply will not see any opportunity there at all.

If a team doesn't believe it can win, then it will not see any way to win, thus it will lose.

Exactly.  

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-26-2019

(01-26-2019, 03:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Absolutely! If regular season Andy were to replace post-season Andy then I'd be very, very happy with him.

We'll see how this season goes. I want to see how the team performs against the Steelers, the Rams, the Seahawks and the Patriots. Those five games, plus any post-season games, will give us a gauge on this team.

Since we want a SB we should compare against the top tier teams. And while the Steelers aren't top tier at the moment, they are a monkey on the Bengals back that has to be removed.

Plus, of course, gotta win own division and play well against the Ravens and the Browns, besides the Steelers.

This is going to be a fun season. Sucks we have to wait 6 months to see the differences. 

If we still aren't getting over the Steelers/playoff hump, it's time to look at a new QB/players. Can't blame it on Marv this year.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - reuben.ahmed - 01-26-2019

Did Marvin define this organization or did M. Brown? I.e. Mike Brown gave that guy way way way way way way too many chances. That's the problem with our organization, too slow to make a change. Andy is such a neutral QB, the last 4 teams in this playoffs were studded. Goff, Brees, Brady, Mahomes. Dalton is not even close to those guys, we would be like "what's Andy doing here?.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Whodey614 - 01-27-2019

I just find it really funny that Bengals fans wanted to jettison Dalton after all the playoff losses despite the fact that he was improving every year and had bad luck in the Colts game where Burkhead had to play WR. Ever since 2015 people use that one season as a reason to keep trying with Dalton even though that was a year where literally everything came together perfectly. Little to no injuries (until Dalton got hurt), top 3 OL, had an OC that got the most out of everyone (running game was lackluster sometimes but still produced in the end zone) and they still couldn't get it done. MB allowed half of the core to leave in the next 2 seasons and Dalton regressed as a result. Sure, he's flashed 2015 a few times, but couldn't keep it up consistently. It wasn't all on the OL and weapons. He's still a limited QB at the end of the day no matter how many times you change an offense and give him the best WRs.

I like Dalton more than most and I expect him to be the starter next year. I think if anyone could benefit from a coaching change the most, it's him. But to be against ZT possibly wanting to pick a QB if he thinks he's significantly more talented than Dalton is dumb. I think ZT will want to win immediately and get rid of any mediocrity that could prevent him from doing that. Making some big splash signings in FA and bringing in a QB for the future means the Bengals are serious about turning over a new leaf and showing the fanbase they give half a f*ck. I don't know how anyone could view that to be a bad thing.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Devils Advocate - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 12:24 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: I just find it really funny that Bengals fans wanted to jettison Dalton after all the playoff losses despite the fact that he was improving every year and had bad luck in the Colts game where Burkhead had to play WR. Ever since 2015 people use that one season as a reason to keep trying with Dalton even though that was a year where literally everything came together perfectly. Little to no injuries (until Dalton got hurt), top 3 OL, had an OC that got the most out of everyone (running game was lackluster sometimes but still produced in the end zone) and they still couldn't get it done. MB allowed half of the core to leave in the next 2 seasons and Dalton regressed as a result. Sure, he's flashed 2015 a few times, but couldn't keep it up consistently. It wasn't all on the OL and weapons. He's still a limited QB at the end of the day no matter how many times you change an offense and give him the best WRs.

I like Dalton more than most and I expect him to be the starter next year. I think if anyone could benefit from a coaching change the most, it's him. But to be against ZT possibly wanting to pick a QB if he thinks he's significantly more talented than Dalton is dumb. I think ZT will want to win immediately and get rid of any mediocrity that could prevent him from doing that. Making some big splash signings in FA and bringing in a QB for the future means the Bengals are serious about turning over a new leaf and showing the fanbase they give half a f*ck. I don't know how anyone could view that to be a bad thing.

Limited in what way, though?

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Bengalitis - 01-27-2019

(01-26-2019, 10:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is going to be a fun season. Sucks we have to wait 6 months to see the differences. 

If we still aren't getting over the Steelers/playoff hump, it's time to look at a new QB/players. Can't blame it on Marv this year.

Just like ROSS and PRICE, Taylor gets a year because he'll be a "rookie" Head Coach. :giggle:

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - grampahol - 01-27-2019

I'd like to see how this team responds if the Bengals can manage to have a few referees in their pockets the way the Rams and Pats have..  It really helps to win championships when you have refs in your pocket. I'm not saying the game is rigged, just fixed.. The Bengals need to obtain a copy of The Little Red Wagon Repair Manual to "fix" their little red wagons.. 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - reuben.ahmed - 01-27-2019

The NFL got exactly what they wanted. 3 or 4 HOF QBs in the last 4 teams. I believe they wanted Rams vs. Chiefs since early in the season, but Brady spoiled that (barely). I think Brees vs. Brady would have been good, too.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 12:24 AM)Whodey614 Wrote:  Making some big splash signings in FA and bringing in a QB for the future means the Bengals are serious about turning over a new leaf and showing the fanbase they give half a f*ck. I don't know how anyone could view that to be a bad thing.

You don't see how any fan could ever be critical of any move a coach or front office could make? Rolleyes

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - grampahol - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 10:19 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The NFL got exactly what they wanted. 3 or 4 HOF QBs in the last 4 teams. I believe they wanted Rams vs. Chiefs since early in the season, but Brady spoiled that (barely). I think Brees vs. Brady would have been good, too.

Rams are supposedly building a new stadium with supposedly all private funding.. I use the term 'supposedly' since I don't quite trust the financiers to tell the truth when it comes to funding big projects, but that's neither here nor there. The HUGE investment supposedly underway makes it so that the league pretty much HAS to make sure LA is in the SB come hell or high water.. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-rams-5-billion-stadium-is-bigger-than-disneyland-it-might-be-perfect-for-la/2019/01/26/7c393898-20c3-11e9-8e21-59a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.9409972349af

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Essex Johnson - 01-27-2019

(01-25-2019, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Disagree all you want, just don't be surprised if the vast majority that follow football disagree with you. And the stats back it up. 

Nope stats support my post, yours lack it , and yes personal opinion is not stats just so you know

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Atomic Orange - 01-27-2019

(01-26-2019, 10:56 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Did Marvin define this organization or did M. Brown? I.e. Mike Brown gave that guy way way way way way way too many chances. That's the problem with our organization, too slow to make a change. Andy is such a neutral QB, the last 4 teams in this playoffs were studded. Goff, Brees, Brady, Mahomes. Dalton is not even close to those guys, we would be like "what's Andy doing here?.

If Dalton gets a decent line i expect him to perform very close to Goff because Goff is very much a product of a great line, running game and coaching. He isn't on the same level as the others you listed.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Atomic Orange - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 01:01 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Just like ROSS and PRICE, Taylor gets a year because he'll be a "rookie" Head Coach. :giggle:

Right on. We have to be looking for improvement this season at the micro level more than anything and if it just so happens we win - Great! So many holes to fill though that may take time. I'm excited.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-27-2019

(01-26-2019, 10:56 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Did Marvin define this organization or did M. Brown? I.e. Mike Brown gave that guy way way way way way way too many chances. That's the problem with our organization, too slow to make a change. Andy is such a neutral QB, the last 4 teams in this playoffs were studded. Goff, Brees, Brady, Mahomes. Dalton is not even close to those guys, we would be like "what's Andy doing here?.

What else do those teams have in common? McVay, Payton, Belichick, Reid. That's probably the top 4 coaches in the league right now. They also have a wealth of talent and everything coming together. The closest Dalton ever got to teams this good was 2015...and he still didn't have the brilliant coach. 

Now I'm not saying Dalton could reach a Mahomes/Brees/Brady level. He won't. But he could play at a Goff level, so hiring the guy who worked with Goff was probably a good move.

(01-27-2019, 01:01 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Just like ROSS and PRICE, Taylor gets a year because he'll be a "rookie" Head Coach. :giggle:

Can't speak for others, but I expect results right away. This isn't a typical rebuilding team. 

I wonder how long it'll take if the Bengals lose, say 4 straight before fans lose their collective minds and demand Taylor's firing before anything has a chance to take shape.. 17 seasons of 0-16 maybe? Ya never know anymore.. 
I don't expect such records, but I don't necessarily expect 16-0 records either. 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Catmandude123 - 01-27-2019

(01-24-2019, 01:04 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: How many years do we give Andy, for being a super nice guy?

Do we count the years that the FO made him play without a decent o-line. To just discount Dalton as just another QB before actually having someone waiting in the wings or kicking down the door is plain stupid. Dalton has been the ultimate team player even if he failed when the lights were their the brightest. With Mixon the run game should improve which would definitely help Dalton immensely. He could get better, he could be worse. I think his loyalty to his team mates has earned him at least one more season.