Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life (/Thread-I-expect-the-coaching-changes-to-give-Dalton-a-new-lease-on-his-Bengals-life)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Nately120 - 01-27-2019

The news is that Alex Smith isn't expected to play in 2019. If we can move Dalton for value now, I think we should do it. Dalton isn't going to be the starter here forever, so unless you think he's going to win the SB in the next year I think it would be wise to keep our "winds of change" mentality and get value from him before he leaves as a FA.

Just an idea.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Socal Bengals fan - 01-27-2019

I’m down. But draft Dalton Risner for Right tackle. Guy looks like a bully at right with a mean streak not seen her since the 80s. Maybe a reach for round 1 but a solid choice for round 2.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HuDey - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 06:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The news is that Alex Smith isn't expected to play in 2019. If we can move Dalton for value now, I think we should do it. Dalton isn't going to be the starter here forever, so unless you think he's going to win the SB in the next year I think it would be wise to keep our "winds of change" mentality and get value from him before he leaves as a FA.

Just an idea.

Not just an idea. A great idea.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - SunsetBengal - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 06:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The news is that Alex Smith isn't expected to play in 2019.  If we can move Dalton for value now, I think we should do it.  Dalton isn't going to be the starter here forever, so unless you think he's going to win the SB in the next year I think it would be wise to keep our "winds of change" mentality and get value from him before he leaves as a FA.

Just an idea.

Would set up one heck of a game, in 2020.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-27-2019

So let me get this straight.

Marvin Lewis was fired because he wasn't winning with a lot of talented players.

But now that we have a new coach those same players are not talented enought to win?

Change just for the sake of change is a very bad idea.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Nately120 - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 07:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me get this straight.

Marvin Lewis was fired because he wasn't winning with a lot of talented players.

But now that we have a new coach those same players are not talented enought to win?

Our new HC is just a rookie, just like John Ross.  Duh.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 06:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The news is that Alex Smith isn't expected to play in 2019.  If we can move Dalton for value now, I think we should do it.  Dalton isn't going to be the starter here forever, so unless you think he's going to win the SB in the next year I think it would be wise to keep our "winds of change" mentality and get value from him before he leaves as a FA.

Just an idea.

I'd only do that if someone like Drew Lock fell to us and we drafted him. Otherwise, we'd be opening up a giant hole at QB, without a clear way to replace him. 

I'm not totally opposed to the idea at all. I kinda like the thought of a new QB to go with the new coach...but I also know that Dalton is still young by QB standards, so I don't think we need to trade him "just cuz" either. I'd prefer not to start out the Taylor era with a lost season. That'd kinda takes the wind out of his sails.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HarleyDog - 01-27-2019

[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-27-2019, 08:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd only do that if someone like Drew Lock fell to us and we drafted him. Otherwise, we'd be opening up a giant hole at QB, without a clear way to replace him. 

I'm not totally opposed to the idea at all. I kinda like the thought of a new QB to go with the new coach...but I also know that Dalton is still young by QB standards, so I don't think we need to trade him "just cuz" either. I'd prefer not to start out the Taylor era with a lost season. That'd kinda takes the wind out of his sails.

I hear ya, but if Tannehill gets as little interest as we expect him to we could move Dalton for some capital and then get Tannehill into the Kitna role for a new QB.  This hinges on us actually getting trade offer for Dalton, not blowing it, then getting a new QB that Taylor likes.  This is a lot of what ifs, of course.

It's not all on Dalton, but we had 3 lost seasons in a row with the guy so I'm more open to (logically and rationally) blowing it all up, personally.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-27-2019

1. Who said Marv was specifically fired "because he wasn't winning with a lot of talented players"? And wasn't winning what, exactly?

2. It's not change for the sake of change when a guy has 3 straight losing years and 16 without a playoff win. 

Seems like you're making up stuff to argue against, but I'm sure you'd never do that. LOL

(01-27-2019, 08:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, but if Tannehill gets as little interest as we expect him to we could move Dalton for some capital and then get Tannehill into the Kitna role for a new QB.  This hinges on us actually getting trade offer for Dalton, not blowing it, then getting a new QB that Taylor likes.  This is a lot of what ifs, of course.

It's not all on Dalton, but we had 3 lost seasons in a row with the guy so I'm more open to (logically and rationally) blowing it all up, personally.

I hear you too. I almost wish we could've just started over with an entirely new expansion team. 

Anyways, I wouldn't hate the idea of Tannehill + 1st round QB. I have to wonder how much Tanny would cost though. Probably more than $16 million in today's market...and if we swing for Tanny in free agency and use the 1st rounder on a QB, is this FO willing to somehow splurge more on fixing this o-line? It still needs major attention. 

For that reason, I think it's either draft an NFL ready QB + trade Dalton or just ride with Dalton or Dalton + drafted QB.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Adamantium - 01-28-2019

I was hoping the Bengals would go after Nick Foles and ditch Dalton.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-28-2019

(01-27-2019, 08:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I hear you too. I almost wish we could've just started over with an entirely new expansion team. 

Anyways, I wouldn't hate the idea of Tannehill + 1st round QB. I have to wonder how much Tanny would cost though. Probably more than $16 million in today's market...and if we swing for Tanny in free agency and use the 1st rounder on a QB, is this FO willing to somehow splurge more on fixing this o-line? It still needs major attention. 

For that reason, I think it's either draft an NFL ready QB + trade Dalton or just ride with Dalton or Dalton + drafted QB.

Tannehill is most likely going to cost more than Dalton, same as Carr.  If we trade him, which isn't a bad idea, I'd look more to a guy like Bridgewater, who should be much cheaper.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - HuDey - 01-28-2019

(01-28-2019, 11:24 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Tannehill is most likely going to cost more than Dalton, same as Carr.  If we trade him, which isn't a bad idea, I'd look more to a guy like Bridgewater, who should be much cheaper.

I agree with this. A guy like Teddy would be a great bridge QB. Lower cost and the performance would likely be similar to guys like Tannehill.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-28-2019

(01-28-2019, 11:32 AM)HuDey Wrote: I agree with this. A guy like Teddy would be a great bridge QB. Lower cost and the performance would likely be similar to guys like Tannehill.

Yep.  I'd love to see some nice capital from a Dalton trade, but I don't want to limit our cap to pay more money for QBs that are worse than what we have.  For a veteran, Dalton's deal is team friendly.  If you trade him, don't break the bank for a bridge QB.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - grampahol - 01-28-2019

If they trade Dalton they had better get a substantial return on investment. The wrong QB in his place could set the team back years with zero guarantees on his replacement...not that Andy is any sort of guarantee himself. 

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Shake n Blake - 01-28-2019

(01-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: Tannehill is most likely going to cost more than Dalton, same as Carr.  If we trade him, which isn't a bad idea, I'd look more to a guy like Bridgewater, who should be much cheaper.

Bridgewater would be a clear downgrade from Dalton though. Career highs of 3231 yards and 14 TD's. 3 straight years of rehabbing or sitting on benches. If we could get him on something like a 1 year - $8 million "prove it" deal, he might make sense as a stopgap with a young QB behind him. That said, if the price of Nick Foles were even remotely similar, I'd probably rather roll with him as a stopgap. Or just keep Andy and see what he he can do with Taylor. 

Tbh, I don't know what I want. For once, I'm glad I'm not making the decisions.  Gaah

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - fredtoast - 01-28-2019

(01-27-2019, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Who said Marv was specifically fired "because he wasn't winning with a lot of talented players"? And wasn't winning what, exactly?

Everytime that I mentioned that Marvin was handicapped by coaching under Mike Brown there was a whole cadre of posters who claimed the Bengals had enough talented players to win and it was just Marvin's fault for not winning with them

(01-27-2019, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. It's not change for the sake of change when a guy has 3 straight losing years and 16 without a playoff win. 

It is "change for the sake of change" when you wish we were "starting over with a new expansion team".  It is absurd to argue that we don't have a single good player on our team or that we have to get rid of every single player just because he played under Marvin.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Atomic Orange - 01-28-2019

Do whatever with Dalton if he has a lousy year but he should get a year. Plenty of money elsewhere to ensure he gets the best opportunity to make that happen. Now, will will Mike help make it happen or shall i say Katie? Will the coaches be great at their job?

Don't know. But exciting prospect.

And if it doesn't work with Dalton you still have the pieces for the new guy.

I'm on the roll with Dalton draft QB next year train.

Bottom line, we need a great line first. Not only for Andy but for our beast back as well.

RE: I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life - Catmandude123 - 01-28-2019

(01-28-2019, 11:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: Tannehill is most likely going to cost more than Dalton, same as Carr.  If we trade him, which isn't a bad idea, I'd look more to a guy like Bridgewater, who should be much cheaper.

Do you really expect Tannehill to join a team he has little or no chance of winning with? Why are so many enamored over a QB who would have to improve just to be the same as the one we have? With a new coach, multiple free agents and the core we have this team can contend now. Weather or not the FO goes all in is the key.