Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Cars are a depreciating asset - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: Cars are a depreciating asset (/Thread-Cars-are-a-depreciating-asset)

Pages: 1 2

Cars are a depreciating asset - reuben.ahmed - 02-07-2019

Then why do we lust for them.

Porsche 718 Boxster (2020) spied.

[Image: 8fbb89717c16ffe370211c841d5f4aba.jpg]

[Image: 2019-porsche-718-boxster--7_800x0w.jpg]

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - fredtoast - 02-07-2019

Yep. Have to buy a classic if you dont want to lose money .

I try to buy "almost" new cars with less than 20k miles then drive them for years.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - michaelsean - 02-07-2019

The people who buy those probably aren't too concerned with the depreciation. I'm not a car guy at all, but if I were super rich, I'd own a Bugatti or a Maserati. More classy than ostentatious. I mean the Chiron is somewhat flashy, but not like a Lamborghini.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - CKwi88 - 02-07-2019

My older brother is super into cars, and I'm thankful for it. I've seen him toss so much money out the window. I'm happy with my Prius that is ugly as sin, but has low upkeep cost and great MPG.

Then again, I look at the absurd amount of money I wasted on videogames in my teens/twenties and maybe I should keep my mouth shut. LOL

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-08-2019

(02-07-2019, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep. Have to buy a classic if you dont want to lose money .

I try to buy "almost" new cars with less than 20k miles then drive them for years.

This.  I bought my '01 pickup in '03.  It still looks great because my old man taught me to be a stickler on washing and waxing.  He also taught me how to wrench, so I do my own maintenance and minor to moderate repairs.  So far, it has served me well, and has almost 220k on it.  I like spending money on the house and things I like to do and have, not car payments.

(02-07-2019, 02:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The people who buy those probably aren't too concerned with the depreciation. I'm not a car guy at all, but  if I were super rich, I'd own a Bugatti or a Maserati.    More classy than ostentatious.  I mean the Chiron is somewhat flashy, but not like a Lamborghini.

Yep, if I had that kind of dough, a Veyron or Chiron would be my choice....of course....like fred says, classics are the way to go.  I'd have a '69 or '70 Hemi Cuda, or a '68 Hemi Charger.  The Bugattis will likely appreciate quite a bit too....limited run of 500 on the Chiron.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - sandwedge - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 12:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, if I had that kind of dough, a Veyron or Chiron would be my choice....of course....like fred says, classics are the way to go.  I'd have a '69 or '70 Hemi Cuda, or a '68 Hemi Charger.  The Bugattis will likely appreciate quite a bit too....limited run of 500 on the Chiron.

If I wasn't worried about money, give me a black 59 El Dorado convertible with fins and white top and white interior.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - reuben.ahmed - 02-08-2019

(02-07-2019, 06:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: My older brother is super into cars, and I'm thankful for it. I've seen him toss so much money out the window. I'm happy with my Prius that is ugly as sin, but has low upkeep cost and great MPG.

Then again, I look at the absurd amount of money I wasted on videogames in my teens/twenties and maybe I should keep my mouth shut. LOL

Ditto, check your amazon order history. It tallied up way more than I thought, but it was still something like 10-15 years worth of junk.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - reuben.ahmed - 02-08-2019

My last CEO had a Bentley and let me drive it for a date (lol). He used to drive that thing way over the speed limit in the city, I called him out on that, not because he can't pay the speeding ticket but because he'll kill somebody.

He used to ask me to take my car to the track (I've got an older BMW convertible), I told him if you pay for my tires, it's going to burn them up. I might have taken the offer nowadays since it's 14 years old but back then it was still "new" to me and I don't have the replacement money that he does lol.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - fredtoast - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 12:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If I wasn't worried about money, give me a black 59 El Dorado convertible with fins and white top and white interior.

Nice to look at but I could never drive anything with white interior.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - fredtoast - 02-08-2019

1971 Nissan Skyline GTR

[Image: 05efef2554cdecd2eaf13a4b30b0db91--car-ph...ne-gtr.jpg]

[Image: jada_1_24_fast_furious_brians_1971_nissa...99686g.jpg]

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - George Cantstandya - 02-08-2019

I agree with most others here. I could afford a new luxury car. Instead I drive a 3 year old car I bought with low miles on it. I let someone else pay for the bulk of depreciation on that car when they bought it new and drove it for a few years. I prefer to spend my money on traveling and other life experiences instead. I've been driving for a long time but most of my memories of time spent actually driving are rather mundane. However I have tons of great memories from trips I have taken around the globe, friends I have made along the way and experiences that don't include sitting behind the wheel of a car.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - StoneTheCrow - 02-08-2019

I watch the Mecum auto auctions occasionally and can’t believe how cheap (relative to how insurmountable the cost was during my teenage years) some of the cars I grew up wanting go for.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - HarleyDog - 02-08-2019

(02-07-2019, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep. Have to buy a classic if you dont want to lose money .

1998 Buick Century. I don’t care if I look old driving it, it’s a great car and I save money.

(02-08-2019, 12:10 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep, if I had that kind of dough, a Veyron or Chiron would be my choice....of course....like fred says, classics are the way to go.  I'd have a '69 or '70 Hemi Cuda, or a '68 Hemi Charger.  The Bugattis will likely appreciate quite a bit too....limited run of 500 on the Chiron.

If I was rich? I would drive the same car I drive today. Insurance rates and big payments for something I spend little time in is better invested towards whatever else I want to put it in. Although, that’s probably not true, I might by an older pickup truck. I love those.

(02-08-2019, 12:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If I wasn't worried about money, give me a black 59 El Dorado convertible with fins and white top and white interior.

If we're talking sleds....either a 63 Continental vert on bags, egg shell blue with the white rag, suicide doors, or a 63 Coupe De Ville vert.... metallic silver, black rag for me. Love the 59 though. Solid choice.

(02-08-2019, 11:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 1998 Buick Century. I don’t care if I look old driving it, it’s a great car and I save money.

If I was rich? I would drive the same car I drive today. Insurance rates and big payments for something I spend little time in is better invested towards whatever else I want to put it in. Although, that’s probably not true, I might by an older pickup truck. I love those.

If you can buy a Bugatti at a cool 2.6 million, insurance is the least of your concerns....lol.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - HarleyDog - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 11:12 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: If you can buy a Bugatti at a cool 2.6 million, insurance is the least of your concerns....lol.

For sure.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - Synric - 02-09-2019

I have a few different vehicles. A 2003 Nissan Sentra is my work car I travel all over the east coast so it's a great 4 cylinder small car and is easy to work on for a newer vehicle. I have a 2010 Ford F250 I bought it brand new it still has less than 40k miles and is a stick shift (which was harder to find than you'd believe). A 2013 Toyota 4runner I bought brand new to use a a vacation vehicle that was great to load up the kids and go anywhere...I took it up pikes peak and down phantom canyon a few months ago.

....but my baby is a 1967 chevy bel air 2 door sedan with a 383 stroker. It has that muscle car look but is a family size.

A car I want I'll probably never get is a 50s model lead sled.

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - SunsetBengal - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1971 Nissan Skyline GTR

[Image: 05efef2554cdecd2eaf13a4b30b0db91--car-ph...ne-gtr.jpg]

[Image: jada_1_24_fast_furious_brians_1971_nissa...99686g.jpg]

Was that car ever sold in the US, or just in Japan?  I had a Japanese friend in college that talked about those.  And, wasn't Nissan actually Datsun, at one point?

RE: Cars are a depreciating asset - fredtoast - 02-10-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Was that car ever sold in the US, or just in Japan?  I had a Japanese friend in college that talked about those.  And, wasn't Nissan actually Datsun, at one point?

Never sold in America.  The '71 was not the fire-breathing twin-turbo all-wheel-drive monster version they started selling in the '80's, but I like the look.

And Nissan was only called Datsun in the US and maybe some other foreign markets.  It was always the same company.