Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Interview Request for Todd Grantham (/Thread-Interview-Request-for-Todd-Grantham)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-11-2019

(02-10-2019, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that a DC with a DL background would be very appealing to guys like Carlos and Geno.

Agreed, Grantham seems like the best fit here besides maybe Pleasant who i also like.

If its either Grantham, Pleasant or Elko i will be happy.

(02-11-2019, 01:20 AM)Shady Wrote: Can I get a "Hell Yeah!!"?

Sounds like the right fit to me. Just curious, but how old is he? We could have the youngest staff in the NFL. 

Edit: Just learned he's 52. So much for the youth movement.

Nice to have a little experience. All our coaches can't be young.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - XenoMorph - 02-11-2019

Well whoever the D Coordinator is we need to get them going... And now an even bigger need for better backers with Hunt signing with the browns (still pending a suspension)

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-11-2019

(02-07-2019, 01:49 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Bah. We'll find another good one.

Interestingly, should the Grantham thing come to fruition, we'd likely look to replace him with another GATOR, ex-ATL DC Marquand Manuel, who is also going to be interviewed for the Bengals DC gig. 

I'm happy with either guy. 

Very interesting. Especially if you're a Florida fan. I don't follow college much, but I think I'd prefer Manuel due to him having some NFL coordinating experience.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - RunKijanaRun - 02-12-2019

(02-11-2019, 11:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Very interesting. Especially if you're a Florida fan. I don't follow college much, but I think I'd prefer Manuel due to him having some NFL coordinating experience.

The only bit about Manuel that makes him a tough sell is that he only had the 1 year of DC experience and was fired. Now, of course, the situation is not that simple, but it stands out. But if Todd ends up in Cincy I'm fully behind MM. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - pally - 02-12-2019

He is interviewing right now

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-12-2019

(02-11-2019, 11:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Very interesting. Especially if you're a Florida fan. I don't follow college much, but I think I'd prefer Manuel due to him having some NFL coordinating experience.

I have to correct myself. Grantham does have NFL coordinating experience. From 2005-2007 he was DC for the Browns. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 02:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to correct myself. Grantham does have NFL coordinating experience. From 2005-2007 he was DC for the Browns. 

Yes sir....under Crennel.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - McC - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 02:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to correct myself. Grantham does have NFL coordinating experience. From 2005-2007 he was DC for the Browns. 

I believe he worked for Romeo Crennel, who is no slouch as a DC himself.  Not a bad guy to have in your background.

Not saying to rush the process, but come on, time to get rolling.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 02:25 PM)McC Wrote: I believe he worked for Romeo Crennel, who is no slouch as a DC himself.  Not a bad guy to have in your background.

Yeah this feels like it's taking eternity. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Dolphins finished filling out their spots? 

They're the only other team that had to wait for the Super Bowl.

(02-12-2019, 02:25 PM)McC Wrote: I believe he worked for Romeo Crennel, who is no slouch as a DC himself.  Not a bad guy to have in your background.

He also coached the dline under Wade Phillips in Dallas, and has worked with Nick Saban.  It's been a while since he was in the NFL, but I think this could be a solid hire, if nothing else.  

Some other interesting notes:

He played at VT under Frank Beamer
Was then hired by Beamer as an assistant
Was on Nick Saban's staff as DL/ASST HC at Michigan State
Was hired by Jim Mora in Indy as the d-line coach
Coached the d-line under Capers in Houston
Georgia DC from 2010-2013
Louisville DC from 2014-2016
Went to Miss. St. with HC Mullen for 2017
...then to UF with Mullen for 2018

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Bengalholic - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah this feels like it's taking eternity. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Dolphins finished filling out their spots? 

They're the only other team that had to wait for the Super Bowl.

Looks like they've pretty much completed their staff.

(02-12-2019, 02:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: He also coached the dline under Wade Phillips in Dallas, and has worked with Nick Saban.  It's been a while since he was in the NFL, but I think this could be a solid hire, if nothing else.  

Some other interesting notes:

He played at VT under Frank Beamer
Was then hired by Beamer as an assistant
Was on Nick Saban's staff as DL/ASST HC at Michigan State
Was hired by Jim Mora in Indy as the d-line coach
Coached the d-line under Capers in Houston
Georgia DC from 2010-2013
Louisville DC from 2014-2016
Went to Miss. St. with HC Mullen for 2017
...then to UF with Mullen for 2018

That sure reads like a helluva resume. 

(02-12-2019, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: That sure reads like a helluva resume. 

Kinda what I'm thinking.  His defense was pretty good in Cleveland until his last season.  I'm not sure if they lost key personnel, or what happened.  I think this would at least be a move in the right direction getting the unit shored up.  I'd like the hire.  He was also on that Mora staff that saw the biggest turnaround in NFL history, from 3-13 to 13-3.  That defense had 50 some odd sacks over two seasons.  Also, Nick Saban making you ASST HC is quite a compliment.

(02-12-2019, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Kinda what I'm thinking.  His defense was pretty good in Cleveland until his last season.  I'm not sure if they lost key personnel, or what happened.  I think this would at least be a move in the right direction getting the unit shored up.  I'd like the hire.  He was also on that Mora staff that saw the biggest turnaround in NFL history, from 3-13 to 13-3.  That defense had 50 some odd sacks over two seasons.  Also, Nick Saban making you ASST HC is quite a compliment.

I'm thinking that, unless Zac sees Pleasant as the next big thing, Grantham should be the guy.

How much of a wild card is Mike Nolan in all this?  He's even a former HC.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - J24 - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 01:12 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The only bit about Manuel that makes him a tough sell is that he only had the 1 year of DC experience and was fired. Now, of course, the situation is not that simple, but it stands out. But if Todd ends up in Cincy I'm fully behind MM. 

He had two first year top 10 unit across the board but this past season was horrible. However he did loose both starting safeties and his top LB.

(02-12-2019, 03:04 PM)McC Wrote: I'm thinking that, unless Zac sees Pleasant as the next big thing, Grantham should be the guy.

How much of a wild card is Mike Nolan in all this?  He's even a former HC.

My thoughts too.  I've seen more talk of Aaron Glenn than Mike Nolan off the Saints' staff.

Also, McC, it appears that Grantham is the new favorite to land the job, pending his interview. They have already interviewed Pleasant.

(02-12-2019, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: My thoughts too.  I've seen more talk of Aaron Glenn than Mike Nolan off the Saints' staff.

Aaron Glenn was a helluva player.  He had 8 td's in his career!

Amazing how playing then coaching DB's is such a path to DC, isn't it?

(02-12-2019, 03:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Also, McC, it appears that Grantham is the new favorite to land the job, pending his interview.  They have already interviewed Pleasant.

Well, there you go.  I really like the diversity of his background and the big names he's worked for.  Git er done.

And Aaron Glenn will get his chance in the near future.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - XenoMorph - 02-12-2019

Ray Lewis ready to be a LB coach?