Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Interview Request for Todd Grantham (/Thread-Interview-Request-for-Todd-Grantham)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - McC - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 03:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Ray Lewis ready to be a LB coach?

It so often happens that the really good players don't end up being good coaches.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 03:14 PM)McC Wrote: Aaron Glenn was a helluva player.  He had 8 td's in his career!

Amazing how playing then coaching DB's is such a path to DC, isn't it?

He was that, but man, 8 TDs?  I didn't know that, that's crazy.

(02-12-2019, 03:15 PM)McC Wrote: Well, there you go.  I really like the diversity of his background and the big names he's worked for.  Git er done.

And Aaron Glenn will get his chance in the near future.

I do too, and Glenn seems to be a real up and comer on that side of the ball.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - RunKijanaRun - 02-13-2019

Do we have any remaining DC interviews scheduled? Any idea on a timeline for an announcement?

You wouldn't believe how much Gator fans are sweating this out. They (we) don't want to lose Grantham. I'm in a unique situation of benefiting either way.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - McC - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 10:49 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do we have any remaining DC interviews scheduled? Any idea on a timeline for an announcement?

You wouldn't believe how much Gator fans are sweating this out. They (we) don't want to lose Grantham. I'm in a unique situation of benefiting either way.

You would sure think a decision will have to be made soon.  There's a lot of work to be done.

Maybe Florida promotes a position coach to keep the same system?

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - grampahol - 02-13-2019

(02-12-2019, 03:36 PM)McC Wrote: It so often happens that the really good players don't end up being good coaches.

I suspect, though without any proof whatsoever that has to do a lot with ego's of former great players.. Kind of like saying, "I was great so you'll never live up to me..." kind of stuff.. I'm just speculating so don't hold me to it.. 

(02-13-2019, 11:03 AM)McC Wrote: You would sure think a decision will have to be made soon.  There's a lot of work to be done.

Maybe Florida promotes a position coach to keep the same system?

There really isn't anyone on staff who could take over that role. There are some concerns that he (Todd) may try to take a young LB coach by the name of Christian Robinson with him if he's hired here, but I don't see that happening. UF will almost certainly have to look outside for a replacement, should it come to that. 

(02-13-2019, 11:21 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: There really isn't anyone on staff who could take over that role. There are some concerns that he (Todd) may try to take a young LB coach by the name of Christian Robinson with him if he's hired here, but I don't see that happening. UF will almost certainly have to look outside for a replacement, should it come to that. 

Well then maybe it ends up being Manuel, like you mentioned.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - jj22 - 02-13-2019

I'm under the impression it'll be announced today. No matter who it is.

Also I've "heard" that UF has their replacement already in MM (old Falcons DC too lazy to look up spelling).

(02-13-2019, 11:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: I suspect, though without any proof whatsoever that has to do a lot with ego's of former great players.. Kind of like saying, "I was great so you'll never live up to me..." kind of stuff.. I'm just speculating so don't hold me to it.. 
I'd say that's probably part of it.  Also, there is a frustration level of why can't these guys do what came so easily to me?

(02-13-2019, 11:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'm under the impression it'll be announced today. No matter who it is.

Also I've "heard" that UF has their replacement already in MM (old Falcons DC too lazy to look up spelling).

That's far from a sure thing. I'd be fine with it, but Mullen has a greater stake in the hire than do I. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - JungleRock85 - 02-13-2019

Ian Rapaport saying the Bengals have zeroed in on Grantham and he is back in the building today. Now it is up to Taylor to pull him away from Florida is what he said. I don't know how I feel this hire. Seems mediocre at best but time will tell I guess.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:08 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Ian Rapaport saying the Bengals have zeroed in on Grantham and he is back in the building today. Now it is up to Taylor to pull him away from Florida is what he said. I don't know how I feel this hire. Seems mediocre at best but time will tell I guess.

Have to agree. I wanted at least one other coach from the Rams, so I wanted Pleasant to be the guy.

Grantham will be the most experienced guy on the staff though. He's been coaching since 1990 with 11 years in the NFL.

Little known aspect of all this - Grantham's son plays football here locally and is a JR in HS. UF's OL Coach (John Hevesy) also has a son near the same age that plays at the same HS. Grantham has said that he does not want to move his son around again and disrupt his life before he finishes HS.

Grantham is also paid well by UF (1.3 MIL) and probably will get a raise to stay. I don't know how much more Cincy would deem it worthwhile to offer.

Then there's his marriage to the 3-4, which no man shall tear asunder.

So much of this just doesn't seem like a good fit. I hope it's Pleasant.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - JungleRock85 - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Have to agree. I wanted at least one other coach from the Rams, so I wanted Pleasant to be the guy.

Grantham will be the most experienced guy on the staff though. He's been coaching since 1990 with 11 years in the NFL.

(02-13-2019, 12:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Little known aspect of all this - Grantham's son plays football here locally and is a JR in HS. UF's OL Coach (John Hevesy) also has a son near the same age that plays at the same HS. Grantham has said that he does not want to move his son around again and disrupt his life before he finishes HS.

Grantham is also paid well by UF (1.3 MIL) and probably will get a raise to stay. I don't know how much more Cincy would deem it worthwhile to offer.

Then there's his marriage to the 3-4, which no man shall tear asunder.

So much of this just doesn't seem like a good fit. I hope it's Pleasant.

I agree. After Jack Del Rio turned down the job I was hoping they would go with the up and comer in Pleasant. The guy seems like a good Secondary coach and has been directly under Wade Phillips the last two years so I think that would have been a welcome addition. Grantham has been out of the NFL for a Decade and even then he didn't have very good Defenses when he was DC in Cleveland. Between this potential hire and Turner it fills lackluster. We had big dreams of Callahan or Sherman at OL coach and Del Rio or Fox as DC and to end up with these two feels like there was never a plan in place before the hire.

(02-13-2019, 12:47 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I agree. After Jack Del Rio turned down the job I was hoping they would go with the up and comer in Pleasant. The guy seems like a good Secondary coach and has been directly under Wade Phillips the last two years so I think that would have been a welcome addition. Grantham has been out of the NFL for a Decade and even then he didn't have very good Defenses when he was DC in Cleveland. Between this potential hire and Turner it fills lackluster. We had big dreams of Callahan or Sherman at OL coach and Del Rio or Fox as DC and to end up with these two feels like there was never a plan in place before the hire.

I think it's painfully obvious there was no plan in place. I can tell you that Grantham had no idea this was coming until early last week. 

Grantham and Taylor have no history nor connection. He's obviously a contingency plan as I think Brown probably balked at the idea of Pleasant. Maybe he didn't like the optics. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:47 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I agree. After Jack Del Rio turned down the job I was hoping they would go with the up and comer in Pleasant. The guy seems like a good Secondary coach and has been directly under Wade Phillips the last two years so I think that would have been a welcome addition. Grantham has been out of the NFL for a Decade and even then he didn't have very good Defenses when he was DC in Cleveland. Between this potential hire and Turner it fills lackluster. We had big dreams of Callahan or Sherman at OL coach and Del Rio or Fox as DC and to end up with these two feels like there was never a plan in place before the hire.

He had the 11th ranked scoring defense that featured the 4th best pass defense in the league his first season there.  I can't find the numbers for year two, but the last season was subpar.

EDIT: Looks like the D was midpack in year 2.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - XenoMorph - 02-13-2019

Hes back today apparently they are tryig to make a deal.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Bengalholic - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: He had the 11th ranked scoring defense that featured the 4th best pass defense in the league his first season there.  I can't find the numbers for year two, but the last season was subpar.

Grantham's defenses in Cleveland were ranked 16th, 27th and 30th in yards...and 11th, 22nd and 21st in points. They were 27th or worse against the rush all 3 years. As you said, they were 4th against the pass his first year, then fell to 15th and then 24th.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - mikey6866 - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham's defenses in Cleveland were ranked 16th, 27th and 30th in yards...and 11th, 22nd and 21st in points. They were 27th or worse against the rush all 3 years. As you said, they were 4th against the pass his first year, then fell to 15th and then 24th.

Looking at who they had on defense those years its a miracle they werent 32nd.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - HarleyDog - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham's defenses in Cleveland were ranked 16th, 27th and 30th in yards...and 11th, 22nd and 21st in points. They were 27th or worse against the rush all 3 years. As you said, they were 4th against the pass his first year, then fell to 15th and then 24th.

Yikes, starting to make me feel like this is not a good fit.