Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Interview Request for Todd Grantham (/Thread-Interview-Request-for-Todd-Grantham)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham's defenses in Cleveland were ranked 16th, 27th and 30th in yards...and 11th, 22nd and 21st in points. They were 27th or worse against the rush all 3 years. As you said, they were 4th against the pass his first year, then fell to 15th and then 24th.

Thanks for the work 'holic.  So it seems it steadily regressed.  I know the offense was bottom of the barrel during his tenure, maybe that had something to do with it.  I must admit, I don't remember who he had to work with on that unit.  Could have been a combination of a lot of things, or maybe it was Todd himself.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Bengalholic - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks for the work 'holic.  So it seems it steadily regressed.  I know the offense was bottom of the barrel during his tenure, maybe that had something to do with it.  I must admit, I don't remember who he had to work with on that unit.  Could have been a combination of a lot of things, or maybe it was Todd himself.

Found this from ESPN on his firing:

'Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, once considered a possible successor to coach Romeo Crennel, was unexpectedly fired Friday after Cleveland's defense finished the season as one of the NFL's worst units.

Grantham's dismissal was a surprise because it came just months after the fiery 41-year-old signed a two-year contract extension. It also followed Cleveland's turnaround 10-6 season, which ended just shy of the AFC playoffs.

But Grantham's stock steadily plummeted as the Browns' defense struggled almost the entire season before ending up ranked 30th overall. The Browns apparently felt Grantham wasn't getting the most from his players and decided to part ways.'

'Last season, the Browns' defense ranked 15th in pass defense despite numerous injuries to their secondary. In his first season, Grantham helped Crennel break in a new 3-4 scheme and the Browns finished first in the AFC in red-zone defense, fourth in the league in pass defense and tied for 16th overall.

But despite an upgrade in personnel through free agency and the draft, the Browns' defense never improved at stopping the run during Grantham's tenure. Cleveland ranked 30th against the run in 2005, 29th in 2006 and 27th this season.'

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - JungleRock85 - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: He had the 11th ranked scoring defense that featured the 4th best pass defense in the league his first season there.  I can't find the numbers for year two, but the last season was subpar.

EDIT:  Looks like the D was midpack in year 2.

(02-13-2019, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham's defenses in Cleveland were ranked 16th, 27th and 30th in yards...and 11th, 22nd and 21st in points. They were 27th or worse against the rush all 3 years. As you said, they were 4th against the pass his first year, then fell to 15th and then 24th.

Just to add to what Bengalholic already mentioned here, when they were 4th against the pass during his first year they already were solid in that area finishing in 5th the year before he arrived. After his first year they got worse. I want to hope for the best but nothing this guy has done gets me excited about him as the potential hire. I know Pleasant was unproven as far as DC but I think I would have taken the unknown potential there instead of a guy that has proven he wasn't very good at the position.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - RunKijanaRun - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:37 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote:  
Just to add to what Bengalholic already mentioned here, when they were 4th against the pass during his first year they already were solid in that area finishing in 5th the year before he arrived. After his first year they got worse. I want to hope for the best but nothing this guy has done gets me excited about him as the potential hire. I know Pleasant was unproven as far as DC but I think I would have taken the unknown potential there instead of a guy that has proven he wasn't very good at the position.

Grantham's a good coach. But I do understand why he wouldn't move the needle around here. I don't want him here, and that's not because it means the Gators would lose him. He's a bad fit for our personnel. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - THE PISTONS - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 12:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Have to agree. I wanted at least one other coach from the Rams, so I wanted Pleasant to be the guy.

Grantham will be the most experienced guy on the staff though. He's been coaching since 1990 with 11 years in the NFL.

It kind of feels like we should have brought in more experience somewhere.

This hire feels mediocre.

Jack Del Rio was my top choice and would have checked off a bunch of boxes.

Grantham will atleast be keyed in on current college players which helps with scouting.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - jj22 - 02-13-2019

Hopefully he's learned some things after his stint as DC with the Browns.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Big Boss - 02-13-2019

[Image: todd-grantham-florida-defense-donovan-st...k=cHkLEtTU]

(02-13-2019, 01:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Found this from ESPN on his firing:

'Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, once considered a possible successor to coach Romeo Crennel, was unexpectedly fired Friday after Cleveland's defense finished the season as one of the NFL's worst units.

Grantham's dismissal was a surprise because it came just months after the fiery 41-year-old signed a two-year contract extension. It also followed Cleveland's turnaround 10-6 season, which ended just shy of the AFC playoffs.

But Grantham's stock steadily plummeted as the Browns' defense struggled almost the entire season before ending up ranked 30th overall. The Browns apparently felt Grantham wasn't getting the most from his players and decided to part ways.'

'Last season, the Browns' defense ranked 15th in pass defense despite numerous injuries to their secondary. In his first season, Grantham helped Crennel break in a new 3-4 scheme and the Browns finished first in the AFC in red-zone defense, fourth in the league in pass defense and tied for 16th overall.

But despite an upgrade in personnel through free agency and the draft, the Browns' defense never improved at stopping the run during Grantham's tenure. Cleveland ranked 30th against the run in 2005, 29th in 2006 and 27th this season.'

I get that, but when I look at the rosters, I see D'Qwell Jackson, Kamrieon Wimbley, and Willie McGinest, an old Willie McGinest.  I mean, that's it, sans our own Chris Crocker, who left after '05.  Well, an old Orpheus Roye too.  I literally can't even remember any of the other players.  I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I think the Brownies are overselling their personnel a bit there. LOL 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Bengalholic - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 02:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I get that, but when I look at the rosters, I see D'Qwell Jackson, Kamrieon Wimbley, and Willie McGinest, an old Willie McGinest.  I mean, that's it, sans our own Chris Crocker, who left after '05.  Well, an old Orpheus Roye too.  I literally can't even remember any of the other players.  I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I think the Brownies are overselling their personnel a bit there. LOL 

Yeah, definitely not a 'loaded' defensive roster.  Smirk

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - ochocincos - 02-13-2019

Hearing that the DC role is Todd Grantham's if he wants it. This especially has me concerned, as multiple DC candidates have essentially declined the role.

I'd really like to know why the Bengals are having such a hard time getting the person(s) they want for this role, although I know we'll never get that answer truthfully.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Trademark - 02-13-2019

Not excited about this hire at all

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-13-2019

So he went from "solid" to "bad" and "bad".

(02-13-2019, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks for the work 'holic.  So it seems it steadily regressed.  I know the offense was bottom of the barrel during his tenure, maybe that had something to do with it.  I must admit, I don't remember who he had to work with on that unit.  Could have been a combination of a lot of things, or maybe it was Todd himself.

In '05 and '06, yeah. In 2007, their offense ranked 8th in both yards and points, and was pretty much entirely responsible for their 10-6 record, as Grantham's defense ranked 30th in yards and 21st in points allowed.

(02-13-2019, 01:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It kind of feels like we should have brought in more experience somewhere.

Grantham will atleast be keyed in on current college players which helps with scouting.

Not excited by it at all, not going to lie.

(02-13-2019, 02:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I get that, but when I look at the rosters, I see D'Qwell Jackson, Kamrieon Wimbley, and Willie McGinest, an old Willie McGinest.  I mean, that's it, sans our own Chris Crocker, who left after '05.  Well, an old Orpheus Roye too.  I literally can't even remember any of the other players.  I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I think the Brownies are overselling their personnel a bit there. LOL 

Fair enough. We'll just have to see. I don't find it exciting, but we'll see.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Okeana - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 01:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It kind of feels like we should have brought in more experience somewhere.

Totally disagree this guy is not mediocre at all which is why he's among if not the highest paid coordinator in college.  He has TONS of experience both in the NFL and college.  Consistantly Grantham has been brought in to fix defenses and had huge turnarounds and Its undebatable that he has way more experience than Jack Del Rio as a DC.

Not to mention he's typically a 3-4 guy so that should make you feel warm inside LMAO

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - XenoMorph - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 03:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: Totally disagree this guy is not mediocre at all which is why he's among if not the highest paid coordinator in college.  He has TONS of experience both in the NFL and college.  Consistantly Grantham has been brought in to fix defenses and had huge turnarounds and Its undebatable that he has way more experience than Jack Del Rio as a DC.

Not to mention he's typically a 3-4 guy so that should make you feel warm inside LMAO

Plus we should get to see lots of bltizs

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Synric - 02-13-2019

An interview with Grantham about his defense.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Bolt/Florida-Gators-Football-Todd-Grantham-breaks-down-his-3-4-system-implementation-at-UF-115080446/

Probably the most important part.

Quote:On its face, Grantham's system won't be a massive change for the Gators. Yes, it's a 3-4 system, but it's a one-gap 3-4 as opposed to perhaps a more traditional two-gap scheme.

What does that mean?

Instead of each of his three down linemen being tasked to read and react to two different gaps and rush the passer, typically it'll only be his nose tackle that has responsibility for two gaps. Grantham will then use a strong-side linebacker or a hybrid linebacker/safety type as a fourth player near the line of scrimmage, depending on the alignment and formation.

Essentially, Florida will be standing up one of its defensive ends, allowing for more speed on the field and a faster, more disruptive style of play.

"I think in today's game, with the kind of players you're using you want to be more one-gap in that you want to be able to attack the blockers," Grantham said. "You want to be able to rush the passer. And by being able to rush the passer that means you're an attacking front. Your front is in attack mode. Because most offenses want to be balanced 50-50 first, second down as far as run-pass. So that means we need to be in a position to play the run as well as rush the passer. So we're more of an attack mode defense up front. We're more one-gap oriented, and from there we're just going to mix and match our fronts to try to give variation to what we're doing."

Quote:"We’re a 3-4 structure but we play four-down and three-down and we’re going to find ways to get our best players on the field," Grantham said. "And we’re going to change every year relevant to the playmakers. Because defense is about winning your one-on-one matchups.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - RunKijanaRun - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 03:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: Totally disagree this guy is not mediocre at all which is why he's among if not the highest paid coordinator in college.  He has TONS of experience both in the NFL and college.  Consistantly Grantham has been brought in to fix defenses and had huge turnarounds and Its undebatable that he has way more experience than Jack Del Rio as a DC.

Brent Venables at Clemson is the highest paid assistant in college football, and I think Dave Aranda is second. Both of those guys clear at or over 2 mil, if memory serves. Todd is up there, but I doubt he's even top 10. 

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - McC - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 03:40 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Brent Venables at Clemson is the highest paid assistant in college football, and I think Dave Aranda is second. Both of those guys clear at or over 2 mil, if memory serves. Todd is up there, but I doubt he's even top 10. 

Don't quote me on this or ask for a link, but I thought I saw somewhere that Grantham is making 1.9.

RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Earendil - 02-13-2019

I'm not sure we can take anything he did with the Browns as an indicator of his potential success or failure.

(02-13-2019, 03:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In '05 and '06, yeah. In 2007, their offense ranked 8th in both yards and points, and was pretty much entirely responsible for their 10-6 record, as Grantham's defense ranked 30th in yards and 21st in points allowed.

Fair enough. We'll just have to see. I don't find it exciting, but we'll see.

Yes, that was the year of Derek Anderson, IIRC.

I'm NOT dancing in the aisles, per se, but I think he's a little better than people realize.  He does a have a bit of a gambler's mentality, which can lead to big plays either way obviously.

Being a Noles fan, plus living in SEC country, I've seen quite a bit of his work after the NFL.  He's no slouch, and you look at who has hired him on their staffs throughout his career, it kinda speaks to that.

(02-13-2019, 03:42 PM)McC Wrote: Don't quote me on this or ask for a link, but I thought I saw somewhere that Grantham is making 1.9.

I think I just read 1.3, but don't hold me to it.

EDIT: 1.39

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/florida-gators/2018/05/08/florida-gators-coordinator-todd-grantham-to-earn-1-39-million/