Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? (/Thread-Which-player-position-would-be-most-satisfied-with-at-11-aside-from-LB-OL)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - ochocincos - 02-07-2019

Per the title, it's pretty much a commonality across all mocks that either OL or Devin White is selected for the Bengals.
What position or player specifically would you most be ok with the Bengals taking at 11 that isn't a LB or OL?

For me, it'd be DT simply due to the ridiculous talent at that position, although I don't know that a DT selected would actually get to be a 3-down player but instead have to be the nickel DT. Probably would get about 50% of defensive snaps.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Au165 - 02-07-2019

For me it is CB, I know it became the running joke here of drafting and sitting them but you seriously can never have too many good CB's in this league.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Synric - 02-07-2019

TJ Hockenson TE.

If Zac Taylor brings a WCO a great do it all TE would be huge. Inline block, can get out and block for all those screens, be a play action threat, catch all those bootlegs etc...Hockenson would be that swiss army knife guy that can be a huge part of the game plan. When he tests as well as people think at the combine he will be a top 15 pick.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Bengalpool - 02-07-2019

(02-07-2019, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: TJ Hockenson TE.

If Zac Taylor brings a WCO a great do it all TE would be huge. Inline block, can get out and block for all those screens, be a play action threat, catch all those bootlegs etc...Hockenson would be that swiss army knife guy that can be a huge part of the game plan. When he tests as well as people think at the combine he will be a top 15 pick.

Beat me to it to be honest..... ThumbsUp

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - sandwedge - 02-07-2019

My pick also.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Big Boss - 02-07-2019

I know we joke about it, but CB or TE.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - ochocincos - 02-07-2019

TE would be interesting because TE wasn't a staple in McVay's offense, nor was the TE featured much in MIA 2015 when Taylor took over for Lazor. I honestly don't know how Taylor views the importance of an elite TE.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Synric - 02-07-2019

(02-07-2019, 04:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: TE would be interesting because TE wasn't a staple in McVay's offense, nor was the TE featured much in MIA 2015 when Taylor took over for Lazor. I honestly don't know how Taylor views the importance of an elite TE.

Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis were huge in Washington for McVay and Gerald Everett was the very first player drafted by McVay.

As for Taylor I have no idea but I know a jack of all trades TE is very important in a WCO.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - psychdoctor - 02-07-2019

Ed Oliver
Greedy Williams.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - J24 - 02-07-2019

QB

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Jpoore - 02-08-2019

For me? It's nkeal Harry and it's not even close. His floor is alshon Jeffery but his Julio Jones comp is legit.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Goalpost - 02-08-2019

TE

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - ochocincos - 02-08-2019

(02-07-2019, 05:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis were huge in Washington for McVay and Gerald Everett was the very first player drafted by McVay.

As for Taylor I have no idea but I know a jack of all trades TE is very important in a WCO.

Gerald Everett hasn't exceeded 320 yards or 3 TDs in a season. I wouldn't call him a focal point in McVay's offense.
But I did forget about McVay's OC days in DC. You don't find it odd that he had so much success with a TE in DC but didn't make the TE a focal point in his offense with the Rams, especially considering they've been so strong in the run game? Maybe the TE focal point in DC was more because of Gruden rather than McVay.

I guess my thought is that we'll see how Taylor plans to use a TE, but his time in LA and even in MIA didn't have the TE as one of the top 2-3 passing options.
2015 MIA - Jordan Cameron had 386 yards and 3 TDs, was 6th most rec yards on team
2017 LA - Tyler Higbee had 295 yards, 1 TD, was 5th most rec yards on team. Everett was 6th in yards, 2 TDs.
2018 LA - Everett had 320 yards, 3 TDs, was 6th most rec yards on team. Higbee was 7th most yards, 2 TDs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the receiving options go like this...
1 - AJ Green
2 - Tyler Boyd
3 - Joe Mixon
4 - John Ross (could be Ross over Mixon depending on success of run game though)
5 - TE

If the above happens to be true, that role can be done with Kroft, Uzomah or a mid-round draft pick. I wouldn't want to spend an early-round pick or big money on a TE if they won't be a top 3 passing option.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Synric - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Gerald Everett hasn't exceeded 320 yards or 3 TDs in a season. I wouldn't call him a focal point in McVay's offense.
But I did forget about McVay's OC days in DC. You don't find it odd that he had so much success with a TE in DC but didn't make the TE a focal point in his offense with the Rams, especially considering they've been so strong in the run game? Maybe the TE focal point in DC was more because of Gruden rather than McVay.

I guess my thought is that we'll see how Taylor plans to use a TE, but his time in LA and even in MIA didn't have the TE as one of the top 2-3 passing options.
2015 MIA - Jordan Cameron had 386 yards and 3 TDs, was 6th most rec yards on team
2017 LA - Tyler Higbee had 295 yards, 1 TD, was 5th most rec yards on team. Everett was 6th in yards, 2 TDs.
2018 LA - Everett had 320 yards, 3 TDs, was 6th most rec yards on team. Higbee was 7th most yards, 2 TDs.

1 - AJ Green
2 - Tyler Boyd
3 - Joe Mixon
4 - John Ross (could be Ross over Mixon depending on success of run game though)
5 - TE

If the above happens to be true, that role can be done with Kroft, Uzomah or a mid-round draft pick. I wouldn't want to spend an early-round pick or big money on a TE if they won't be a top 3 passing option.

Gerald Everett was one of the most versatile players in the league in 2018. He lined up inline, in the slot, out wide, and even in the backfield. The rams loved to move him around as a blocker in their screen game which they used ALOT.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - McC - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Gerald Everett hasn't exceeded 320 yards or 3 TDs in a season. I wouldn't call him a focal point in McVay's offense.

1 - AJ Green
2 - Tyler Boyd
3 - Joe Mixon
5 - TE

Our offense won't necessarily be a direct copy of the Rams'.  Zac will adapt it to make it his own.  And if we did draft a TE early, I'd imagine he'd adapt to fit him in.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - bfine32 - 02-08-2019

Edge

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - MentalRage - 02-08-2019

Hockenson or Oliver. Maybe Ferrell

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - ochocincos - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 02:11 AM)Jpoore Wrote: For me? It's nkeal Harry and it's not even close. His floor is alshon Jeffery but his Julio Jones comp is legit.

Where was this Julio Jones comp? Julio Jones has freakish speed for his size (4.39 at 6'3", 220 lbs). From what I've read on Harry, he's probably more in the 4.5 range, which is still very respectable for a guy of Harry's size. Obviously I haven't paid as much attention to Harry as some, but from what I've gathered, his skill set seems more in line with Dez Bryant, does it not?

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Tiger Teeth - 02-08-2019

(02-07-2019, 11:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: QB

You'd waste our 1st round on a QB?  Which one would you take?  I'm going to say TE.

RE: Which player/position would be most satisfied with at 11 aside from LB/OL? - Hammerstripes - 02-08-2019

IF we don't go OL or LB, then I would really have to see who is the BPA. I feel like the way that the mock drafts are falling right now, the BPA is going to be either White or one of the DT.

That being said, IF trading down isn't an option, I would take Dexter Lawrence. He fills a huge need as a premier space eating, run stuffing DT that can still get to the QB.

A sleeper would be a DE.