Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff (/Thread-It-kind-of-seems-like-the-Taylor-is-getting-to-pick-his-own-staff)

Pages: 1 2

It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - THE PISTONS - 02-07-2019

This Turner hire seems to indicate that. I doubt if the Bengals front office were mandating hires that they'd let him do that.

I'd say that's a positive in some ways.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - GodFather - 02-08-2019

Sink or swim. Give him a chance to run it his way.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - McC - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 12:32 AM)GodFather Wrote: Sink or swim. Give him a chance to run it his way.

It's the only way to do it.  And that means get him the players he needs.  And that means starter quality FA's.    So far, he's getting what he wants.  FA will tell the real story.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - HarleyDog - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 01:30 AM)McC Wrote: It's the only way to do it.  And that means get him the players he needs.  And that means starter quality FA's.    So far, he's getting what he wants.  FA will tell the real story.

FA is where I’m really concerned. It will surely be a test for the FO.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Sled21 - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 08:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: FA is where I’m really concerned. It will surely be a test for the FO.

I'm interested to see what they do there as well, but am really interested in what they do in the draft. While I'm on board with the "BPA" strategy as a theme, sometimes you need to deviate from that to fill a need. There are spots we need immediate help. Fill those first, even if it means passing on a better player in a position where we are solid. Then, once we get somewhat whole again, go back to BPA....

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - THE PISTONS - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm interested to see what they do there as well, but am really interested in what they do in the draft. While I'm on board with the "BPA" strategy as a theme, sometimes you need to deviate from that to fill a need. There are spots we need immediate help. Fill those first, even if it means passing on a better player in a position where we are solid. Then, once we get somewhat whole again, go back to BPA....

I think that IF we can fill 3 needs in free agency at LB and on the offensive line, then in the 1st Round...we could go BPA and maybe take a dynamic playmaker on offense.

Now, IF we don't fill atleast 3 needs, then we'll need to go OT or LB which is what you are saying.

A 1st Round pick is the only pick I'd be reasonably comfortable penciling in as a starter. Now, a 2nd or other Round pick could still start as we all know.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Sled21 - 02-08-2019

I agree. What's going to be interesting now, is what they do at linebacker. The latest trend was to go with lighter, faster linebackers and DE's, who could get after the QB and cover pass plays better. Then Belichick comes out with a fullback and runs and I formation and just powers them off the ball with bigger runners. So, now we can expect vastly more teams who watched that to have Fullbacks on the roster, which means you've got to go back to having a thumper at linebacker.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Interceptor - 02-08-2019

Can he pick the team owner, too?

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - bengals67 - 02-08-2019

Bengals management doing what should have been done as recently as the 2015 playoff loss to Steelers.

Hopefully, they picked the right guy.

Taylor and his new staff need three years.

This is a re-build job whether we like it or not.

I hope they move to a 3-4 on defense regardless of complaints that it does not fit our current personnel.

Too many big holes to fill in one season with Browns really rising and Steelers and Ravens always solid.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - THE PISTONS - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree. What's going to be interesting now, is what they do at linebacker. The latest trend was to go with lighter, faster linebackers and DE's, who could get after the QB and cover pass plays better. Then Belichick comes out with a fullback and runs and I formation and just powers them off the ball with bigger runners. So, now we can expect vastly more teams who watched that to have Fullbacks on the roster, which means you've got to go back to having a thumper at linebacker.

Makes sense though. Attack weaknesses.

But, the more good players you have, the more weaknesses you can attack.

(02-08-2019, 11:27 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Bengals management doing what should have been done as recently as the 2015 playoff loss to Steelers.

Hopefully, they picked the right guy.

Taylor and his new staff need three years.

This is a re-build job whether we like it or not.

I hope they move to a 3-4 on defense regardless of complaints that it does not fit our current personnel.

Too many big holes to fill in one season with Browns really rising and Steelers and Ravens always solid.

I think the problem with a 3-4 is that Atkins and Dunlap are our best defensive players, and you basically use them to occupy blockers.

AND...the MAJOR problem is...our LB's were TERRIBLE last year. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

That means we likely need 2 new ones. You go 3-4 and we need 3 new ones.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - jj22 - 02-08-2019

I'm impressed. I didn't think we'd clean house, but they did. I like everyone have questions about Turner, but other than that I think he's assembled a fine staff. And we can only wait and see if the results translate. It's a gamble, but that gamble was the fear that kept us scared to let Marvin go all those years. Time to face that fear head on and hope for the best.

(02-08-2019, 02:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm impressed. I didn't think we'd clean house, but they did. I like everyone have questions about Turner, but other than that I think he's assembled a fine staff. And we can only wait and see if the results translate. It's a gamble, but that gamble was the fear that kept us scared to let Marvin go all those years. Time to face that fear head on and hope for the best.

Well stated. Good enough is the enemy of great. Which is why they stayed with Marvin all those years.

Time to roll the dice.

Really any hire we did would have some question marks.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm interested to see what they do there as well, but am really interested in what they do in the draft. While I'm on board with the "BPA" strategy as a theme, sometimes you need to deviate from that to fill a need. There are spots we need immediate help. Fill those first, even if it means passing on a better player in a position where we are solid. Then, once we get somewhat whole again, go back to BPA....

To Pistons, yes Taylor is getting who he wants and this is how it should be. This is the only way to change the culture round here.

I agree with Sled here, we are pretty good except O-line and Linebacker. This is why i hope we can get an OT and a LB in FA to free up the draft somewhat. Problem is we need more than 1 LB and more than 1 O-lineman. Would probably be a bad year to go BPA early. We need like 4 starters.

I would go Trent Brown and KJ Wright in FA, draft Devin White and a RG early followed by a talented TE.

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - ochocincos - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree. What's going to be interesting now, is what they do at linebacker. The latest trend was to go with lighter, faster linebackers and DE's, who could get after the QB and cover pass plays better. Then Belichick comes out with a fullback and runs and I formation and just powers them off the ball with bigger runners. So, now we can expect vastly more teams who watched that to have Fullbacks on the roster, which means you've got to go back to having a thumper at linebacker.

So what you're saying is...bring back Maualuga?!  Ninja

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - ochocincos - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 05:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To Pistons, yes Taylor is getting who he wants and this is how it should be. This is the only way to change the culture round here.

I agree with Sled here, we are pretty good except O-line and Linebacker. This is why i hope we can get an OT and a LB in FA to free up the draft somewhat. Problem is we need more than 1 LB and more than 1 O-lineman. Would probably be a bad year to go BPA early. We need like 4 starters.

I would go Trent Brown and KJ Wright in FA, draft Devin White and a RG early followed by a talented TE.

What I think is semi-realistic:
Ju'Wuan James (MIA connection) - instant upgrade at RT
Cory Littleton (LAR connection) - instant upgrade at MIKE/WILL

Rd 1 - Devin White - dynamic 3-down LB would pair very well with Littleton.
Rd 2 - Dalton Risner - position versatility that should be solid at RT but I've seen many say could be better at RG. Risner could start next to James but also take over for him if James were to go down with injury

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-08-2019

(02-08-2019, 07:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I think is semi-realistic:

Rd 2 - Dalton Risner - position versatility that should be solid at RT but I've seen many say could be better at RG. Risner could start next to James but also take over for him if James were to go down with injury

Love it Ocho.

That does seem very realistic i was just wanting someone better than JuWuan James but i guess he would be an upgrade as you say. I heard he was only the 31st rated OT in the NFL last year which is kind of middle of the pack is it not?

It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - ochocincos - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 08:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love it Ocho.

That does seem very realistic i was just wanting someone better than JuWuan James but i guess he would be an upgrade as you say. I heard he was only the 31st rated OT in the NFL last year which is kind of middle of the pack is it not?

James actually rated about 35th last year according to PFF but Trent Brown was only 32. They were 0.2 off from each other and both had a score over 70, which means solid. Plus, being in the 30’s isn’t bad when you think about there being 64+ starting OTs in the league.

In PFF’s list of top FAs for 2019, James was rated higher than Brown.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-top-50-nfl-free-agents-of-2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - ochocincos - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 08:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love it Ocho.

James actually rated about 35th last year according to PFF but Trent Brown was only 32. They were 0.2 off from each other and both had a score over 70, which means solid. Plus, being in the 30’s isn’t bad when you think about there being 64+ starting OTs in the league.

In PFF’s list of top FAs for 2019, James was rated higher than Brown.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-top-50-nfl-free-agents-of-2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: It kind of seems like the Taylor is getting to pick his own staff - THE PISTONS - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 07:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I think is semi-realistic:

IF you could guarantee me right now that our free agency and draft would go like that...I'd take it in a second.