Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Hand gun - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: Hand gun (/Thread-Hand-gun)

Pages: 1 2

Hand gun - sandwedge - 02-08-2019

I have finally talked my wife into letting me get a hand gun. I have to buy a safe for it first though. I fell in love with the Colt 45 in the military and carried one exclusively during my entire time, along with an AR-FA. I was going to go back to a 45, but a friend told there were better out there. Anyone here have any suggestions? I do own a Remmington over/under 12ga which took a lot of persuading to keep! Lol

Please don't turn this into political discussion. Only asking if someone else has a preference.

RE: Hand gun - Tiger Teeth - 02-08-2019

We have 3 handguns.  2 are basically hers; a .380 cal. and a 38 special.  Then there's my baby, basically because she can't shoot it, she's afraid of it.  I have a Smith & Wesson 686 Plus .357 Magnum.  I'm a revolver guy, they don't jam when your life is on the line.  I went with the 4" barrel and I love it.  It sits in my night stand loaded with soft tip hollow point home defense rounds.  Which it holds 7 rounds, not 6.

[Image: Smith-Wesson-686-Plus-Review.jpg]

RE: Hand gun - fredtoast - 02-08-2019

Why are you getting a hand gun? That determines what type to get.

If it is just for home defense a .357 or .45 are overkill.

And if it is for home defense I suggest a trigger lock instead of a safe so that you can keep the gun in your nightstand.

(02-08-2019, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why are you getting a hand gun?  That determines what type to get.

If it is just for home defense a .357 or .45 are overkill.

And if it is for home defense I suggest a trigger lock instead of a safe so that you can keep the gun in your nightstand.

Maybe, maybe not.  But .357 Mags are great for whenever I get that urge to knock over a liquor store or bank.

RE: Hand gun - George Cantstandya - 02-08-2019

Check out the Sig P320. Due to the modular design you easily can change the caliber with conversion kits and the full sized 9mm can also be changed to compact, carry, and subcompact sizes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P320

I don't have one but have been reading about it for some time and checked out some youtube videos. Looks like a solid hand gun with a lot of options.

Buy a .357 and just shoot .38 special shells to save money. Then when you want to shoot through cars or buildings buy some .357 shells.

If you plan on carrying all the time then go for something lighter and smaller. Shorter barrel, smaller grips.

RE: Hand gun - Belsnickel - 02-08-2019

A .357 magnum revolver will be one of the most versatile handguns. Fred's spot on that you can use a .38 special round for practice to save money and then keep it loaded with the .357 when carrying or for home defense. It's not really overkill, to be quite honest. If you're needing to shoot at someone/something, then you want to make it a quick end to the situation and that is something a .357 magnum can do. You can also find smaller frame ones (they usually hold 5, but you don't need more than that, honestly).

(02-08-2019, 01:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  If you're needing to shoot at someone/something, then you want to make it a quick end to the situation and that is something a .357 magnum can do. 

Even if you don't hit the intruder you will deafen him with a .357 magnum.

(02-08-2019, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even if you don't hit the intruder you will deafen him with a .357 magnum.

True.  They are pretty damn loud.  I keep 2 earplugs in the nightstand next to the gun, just in case I have time to put them in before the blastin' starts.

RE: Hand gun - bengal_fan_in_toronto - 02-08-2019

I'm a big fan of my Sig 226 Elite...

RE: Hand gun - Benton - 02-08-2019

Depends on what you're getting it for .

For concealed carry, a s&w 38 can't be beat. Lightweight, small, plenty of power. And it's a revolver so no fear of jamming.

For target? Ruger 22. Plink cheap and accurate all day.

For fun? Judge/governor. Is that a shotgun in your pocket? Yes. Yes it is.

RE: Hand gun - SunsetBengal - 02-09-2019

I currently keep a Ruger P95DS for home defense and target shooting. It feels comfortable in my hand, and shoots straight. It has the lighter trigger pull, so it's not for novices. Historically, I've always been a fan of the .45 ACP, but the Ruger has that "full size" feel. My wife is intimidated by semi-autos, so I will likely be getting her something she is more comfortable with, like a .38 revolver.

Hand gun - Storer50 - 02-09-2019

If you like the 45, call up some local ranges and see if they have a 10mm for rent. Try all of the guns you can. Just remember ammunition is more important than the caliber.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

RE: Hand gun - bengalfan74 - 02-09-2019

(02-08-2019, 12:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have finally talked my wife into letting me get a hand gun. I have to buy a safe for it first though. I fell in love with the Colt 45 in the military and carried one exclusively during my entire time, along with an AR-FA. I was going to go back to a 45, but a friend told there were better out there. Anyone here have any suggestions? I do own a Remmington over/under 12ga which took a lot of persuading to keep! Lol

Please don't turn this into political discussion. Only asking if someone else has a preference.

I was a gunnersmate in the Navy in the mid 80's and fell in love with the .45 ACP 1911. I'm an old school guy and basically can't stand a semi auto with out a hammer, the trigger pull is awful !

If you're comfortable with the 1911 and it's home defense there's no need to change, they're a bit to heavy and bulky for CC. The 230 gr HP ammo is normally subsonic and over penetration isn't a major problem. I don't recommend semi-autos for anyone but experienced gun people for self defense unless they're prepared to spend a lot of time and money mastering it. I'm taking it you're experienced with military service so 1911 all the way !

RE: Hand gun - jason - 02-10-2019

(02-09-2019, 12:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was a gunnersmate in the Navy in the mid 80's and fell in love with the .45 ACP 1911. I'm an old school guy and basically can't stand a semi auto with out a hammer, the trigger pull is awful !

If you're comfortable with the 1911 and it's home defense there's no need to change, they're a bit to heavy and bulky for CC. The 230 gr HP ammo is normally subsonic and over penetration isn't a major problem. I don't recommend semi-autos for anyone but experienced gun people for self defense unless they're prepared to spend a lot of time and money mastering it. I'm taking it you're experienced with military service so 1911 all the way !

I have my grandpa's 1911. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't carry it all the time, but I have, and never had any problem with it's weight or bulk.

Fun fact.... I let it make a lil noise at about 3 in the morning this past summer. Some tweaker was trying to steal my neighbor's downspouts. It was funnier than hell watching that douchebag run back to his truck.

RE: Hand gun - grampahol - 02-11-2019

Go really cheap and effective.. Carry a good throwing rock. You might be surprised how fast you can take down big people with a well placed rock to the noggin. I've done it several times to great effect. The great thing about rocks is they're available almost everywhere at least outside and in some places they're almost unlimited not to mention legal everywhere.  There's no better feeling than dropping your adversary like a 'rock' ThumbsUp

RE: Hand gun - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-11-2019

Quit screwing around......

[Image: badass-sandw500.jpg]

[Image: Lt+this+is+a+50+cal+desert+eagle+you+obv...196a3a.jpg]

RE: Hand gun - fredtoast - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 06:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: Go really cheap and effective.. Carry a good throwing rock. You might be surprised how fast you can take down big people with a well placed rock to the noggin. I've done it several times to great effect. The great thing about rocks is they're available almost everywhere at least outside and in some places they're almost unlimited not to mention legal everywhere.  There's no better feeling than dropping your adversary like a 'rock' ThumbsUp

Ernest T. Bass approves this message.

[Image: if-you-say-good-morning-i-aint-gonna-thr...at-you.jpg]

[Image: ETB-4-PRESIDENT.jpg]

RE: Hand gun - sandwedge - 02-11-2019

I think I am going to stay with the 45, like I said, I had one on my side for a lot of years and it never let me down. In fact, was going to get the paperwork done for one this last weekend, but mother nature dumped about 2.5 feet of snow. So I will have to wait for that to clear. Thanks everyone for their suggestions!