Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) (/Thread-Top-10-Free-Agent-LBs-according-to-PFF)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - SHRacerX - 02-09-2019

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-free-agent-linebackers-in-2019

Top-10 Free Agent Linebackers in 2019
BY BEN COOPER • JAN 30, 2019

Sep 16, 2018; Tampa, FL, USA; Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jordan Hicks (58) celebrates as he picks up the fumble recovery from Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans (13) during the second half at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
The 2019 linebacker free agent class contains some true studs at the top with some strong depth talent toward the bottom. Every team wants a dependable leader in the middle of the defense, and taking a shot on some of the guys who have seen only limited action in their careers could prove to be a valuable move for the future. Those teams will have to choose among a pool of linebackers who have all flashed in some way or another.

With that said, here are our top-10 linebackers in free agency:

1. JORDAN HICKS
After missing much of the 2017 season with an Achilles injury, Hicks made big — and maybe unexpected — strides in multiple facets in 2018. The former third-round pick upped his efforts in run defense, as he posted a career-best 81.3 run-defense grade (10th) while missing just five tackles all season. As a result, Hicks posted a grade north of 80.0 for the second time in his career, and his upward trajectory makes him an enticing option in free agency.

Although I love his game and believe he would also be outstanding in our nickel package, I don't see him getting away from Philly.  

2. C.J. MOSLEY
When the Baltimore Ravens drafted Mosley, they envisioned him slotting in as Ray Lewis’ replacement. While Mosley didn’t quite match Lewis’ 80.0-plus grades in his first four seasons, he still became a consistent leader of the Ravens’ vaunted defense. He’s placed top-35 in run-stop percentage in each of his four years, including a career-best 10.6 percent in 2018. Mosley dispelled talk that he was a liability in coverage after posting career-lows in yards allowed (408), yards per reception (9.3) and yards after the catch (190). If he doesn’t get a big contract in Baltimore, another team will certainly be willing to shell out.

Same as Hicks...no way does Baltimore let him go.

3. ANTHONY BARR
Aside from a horrendous showing in coverage against the Los Angeles Rams where he allowed three touchdowns in coverage, Barr proved he can make an impact from anywhere on the field in 2018. He led all linebackers with a 13.8 pass-rushing productivity percentage, accumulating 23 pressures on just 94 pass-rush snaps. Whoever Barr lands with will also be getting someone who can cover the middle of the field relatively well. Those three touchdowns he allowed against the Rams were the only ones he surrendered all year, and he had a career-best 73.3 catch rate allowed (20th) in coverage.

I like the guy, but I think Minnesota will need to keep him with the issues surrounding Kendricks.  

4. K.J. WRIGHT
Wright may be the most intriguing player on this list, simply for the fact that he hasn’t truly had a bad season in eight years with the Seattle Seahawks. With no season grades below 65.0, Wright’s consistency sticks out in the best way possible. Wright has never had more than three penalties in a season and has only had double-digit missed tackles in one. Despite missing a large chunk of 2018 with an injury, the 2011 fourth-round draft pick should easily find a home in the middle of someone’s defense in 2019.

This is a veteran that I would covet.  He has a ton of experience and is a consistent producer in the middle of the field.

5. KWON ALEXANDER
The former LSU product is just 24 heading into free agency, making him worth a look despite limited production. Alexander missed time in 2018 due to injury, so what he can bring to a team will likely be judged on prior production. His past has plenty of positives, including 11 combined pass breakups in 2015 and 2016, three interceptions and no touchdowns allowed in 2017, and double-digit pressures in his first three years in the league. He clearly has the tools to succeed at the NFL level, it’s just a matter of putting them all together to form one solid season.

I wanted to draft this guy originally, and I think the Bengals were high on him.  If there is a so-called bargain to be had in Free Agency at the LB position, he may be it.  

6. MYCHAL KENDRICKS
Kendricks was once a top-five linebacker in the NFL, but a sharp decline in overall grade followed by a steady rise gives the second-rounder significant upside in free agency. His playmaker style got him five pass breakups (t-5th), 40 stops (t-28th) in and an 82.0 overall grade (9th) in 2017. With that being his last full season of football, Kendricks owns a strong resume — however, off-the-field issues in 2018 may prevent a team from taking a shot on him in the near future.

No thanks...

7. DENZEL PERRYMAN
Lucky for Perryman, his career with the Los Angeles Chargers has been bookended by two stellar years — one being a promising rookie campaign and the other a strong 2018 season. Perryman has only once surpassed 400 snaps in a season, but he has upside for a team in need of depth at the linebacker position. He allowed the 12th-best catch rate (70.8%) in coverage this year among linebackers and racked up 22 stops on just 386 snaps.

Injury history, and I doubt he gets out of SD, er...LA. 

8. DEONE BUCANNON
With five seasons under his belt, Bucannon has yet to truly find his footing. His snap count has decreased in each of the last four seasons, and his overall grades have followed suit. Despite allowing a rough 14.5 yards per catch in coverage in 2018, though, there were a few bright spots. He missed just four tackles in the regular season while also posting seven quarterback pressures on just 29 pass-rushing snaps. With that said, Bucannon is likely a depth player for whoever snatches him in free agency.

If there is one player on this list that we could sign (apparently, the Cards are not high on him any more) that could be that speedy coverage guy in nickel and a playmaker, it is Bucannon.  I love the way this guy plays.  I would want to make sure he is 100% healthy, but this guy will have a huge chip on his shoulder if he isn't offered a strong contract from AZ, as a former first round pick.

9. JAKE RYAN
Ryan missed the entirety of 2018, so his value in the market is based solely off three years of production — and he showed improvement in each one. In 2017, en route to earning a strong 75.7 overall grade (15th), Ryan had the fourth-best pass-rushing grade (85.6), 25th-best coverage grade (68.9) and 30th-best run-defense grade (72.9). That all-around ability and upside make him a low-risk option for a linebacker-needy team.

Low-risk option sounds like us...

10. PRESTON BROWN
Rounding out the list is Brown, who joined the Bengals on a one-year deal before the 2018 season. Unfortunately for Brown, after playing 1000-plus snaps in four seasons with the Buffalo Bills, the injury bug finally hit as he missed nine games. A career-worst 55.8 overall grade in the shortened season means he’ll need to prove he still deserves meaningful playing time in 2019.

Should probably re-sign and most likely starting MLB in base, but I am not sure he would start in nickel.  Contract cost will determine if he can stay.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - SunsetBengal - 02-09-2019

Wow, the Bengals had better get their collective "stuff" together, and bring in a Defensive Coordinator and assistants. They have approximately 1 month to get the staff put together, get goals and schematics established, figure out who they want to keep from last year, and make decisions on what type of personnel they want to bring in that fits their needs going forward.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - SHRacerX - 02-11-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, the Bengals had better get their collective "stuff" together, and bring in a Defensive Coordinator and assistants.  They have approximately 1 month to get the staff put together, get goals and schematics established, figure out who they want to keep from last year, and make decisions on what type of personnel they want to bring in that fits their needs going forward.

It is a critical time, agreed, but an exciting one.  These guys will be looking at tape from last year and saying:  "Geez, they really didn't get anything from their LB position", and hopefully making some key moves in FA to set up the draft.

I am really excited and optimistic to see what happens over the next few months through the FA and draft periods.  

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - XenoMorph - 02-11-2019

whos available for LB coach?

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Okeana - 02-11-2019

remember that Littleton is an RFA and depending on cap we could sneak a high bid on him.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - TKUHL - 03-04-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-free-agent-linebackers-in-2019

Sep 16, 2018; Tampa, FL, USA; Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jordan Hicks (58) celebrates as he picks up the fumble recovery from Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans (13) during the second half at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
The 2019 linebacker free agent class contains some true studs at the top with some strong depth talent toward the bottom. Every team wants a dependable leader in the middle of the defense, and taking a shot on some of the guys who have seen only limited action in their careers could prove to be a valuable move for the future. Those teams will have to choose among a pool of linebackers who have all flashed in some way or another.

1. JORDAN HICKS
After missing much of the 2017 season with an Achilles injury, Hicks made big — and maybe unexpected — strides in multiple facets in 2018. The former third-round pick upped his efforts in run defense, as he posted a career-best 81.3 run-defense grade (10th) while missing just five tackles all season. As a result, Hicks posted a grade north of 80.0 for the second time in his career, and his upward trajectory makes him an enticing option in free agency.

Although I love his game and believe he would also be outstanding in our nickel package, I don't see him getting away from Philly.  

2. C.J. MOSLEY
When the Baltimore Ravens drafted Mosley, they envisioned him slotting in as Ray Lewis’ replacement. While Mosley didn’t quite match Lewis’ 80.0-plus grades in his first four seasons, he still became a consistent leader of the Ravens’ vaunted defense. He’s placed top-35 in run-stop percentage in each of his four years, including a career-best 10.6 percent in 2018. Mosley dispelled talk that he was a liability in coverage after posting career-lows in yards allowed (408), yards per reception (9.3) and yards after the catch (190). If he doesn’t get a big contract in Baltimore, another team will certainly be willing to shell out.

3. ANTHONY BARR
Aside from a horrendous showing in coverage against the Los Angeles Rams where he allowed three touchdowns in coverage, Barr proved he can make an impact from anywhere on the field in 2018. He led all linebackers with a 13.8 pass-rushing productivity percentage, accumulating 23 pressures on just 94 pass-rush snaps. Whoever Barr lands with will also be getting someone who can cover the middle of the field relatively well. Those three touchdowns he allowed against the Rams were the only ones he surrendered all year, and he had a career-best 73.3 catch rate allowed (20th) in coverage.

I like the guy, but I think Minnesota will need to keep him with the issues surrounding Kendricks.  

4. K.J. WRIGHT
Wright may be the most intriguing player on this list, simply for the fact that he hasn’t truly had a bad season in eight years with the Seattle Seahawks. With no season grades below 65.0, Wright’s consistency sticks out in the best way possible. Wright has never had more than three penalties in a season and has only had double-digit missed tackles in one. Despite missing a large chunk of 2018 with an injury, the 2011 fourth-round draft pick should easily find a home in the middle of someone’s defense in 2019.

This is a veteran that I would covet.  He has a ton of experience and is a consistent producer in the middle of the field.

5. KWON ALEXANDER
The former LSU product is just 24 heading into free agency, making him worth a look despite limited production. Alexander missed time in 2018 due to injury, so what he can bring to a team will likely be judged on prior production. His past has plenty of positives, including 11 combined pass breakups in 2015 and 2016, three interceptions and no touchdowns allowed in 2017, and double-digit pressures in his first three years in the league. He clearly has the tools to succeed at the NFL level, it’s just a matter of putting them all together to form one solid season.

I wanted to draft this guy originally, and I think the Bengals were high on him.  If there is a so-called bargain to be had in Free Agency at the LB position, he may be it.  

6. MYCHAL KENDRICKS
Kendricks was once a top-five linebacker in the NFL, but a sharp decline in overall grade followed by a steady rise gives the second-rounder significant upside in free agency. His playmaker style got him five pass breakups (t-5th), 40 stops (t-28th) in and an 82.0 overall grade (9th) in 2017. With that being his last full season of football, Kendricks owns a strong resume — however, off-the-field issues in 2018 may prevent a team from taking a shot on him in the near future.

No thanks...

7. DENZEL PERRYMAN
Lucky for Perryman, his career with the Los Angeles Chargers has been bookended by two stellar years — one being a promising rookie campaign and the other a strong 2018 season. Perryman has only once surpassed 400 snaps in a season, but he has upside for a team in need of depth at the linebacker position. He allowed the 12th-best catch rate (70.8%) in coverage this year among linebackers and racked up 22 stops on just 386 snaps.

8. DEONE BUCANNON
With five seasons under his belt, Bucannon has yet to truly find his footing. His snap count has decreased in each of the last four seasons, and his overall grades have followed suit. Despite allowing a rough 14.5 yards per catch in coverage in 2018, though, there were a few bright spots. He missed just four tackles in the regular season while also posting seven quarterback pressures on just 29 pass-rushing snaps. With that said, Bucannon is likely a depth player for whoever snatches him in free agency.

If there is one player on this list that we could sign (apparently, the Cards are not high on him any more) that could be that speedy coverage guy in nickel and a playmaker, it is Bucannon.  I love the way this guy plays.  I would want to make sure he is 100% healthy, but this guy will have a huge chip on his shoulder if he isn't offered a strong contract from AZ, as a former first round pick.

9. JAKE RYAN
Ryan missed the entirety of 2018, so his value in the market is based solely off three years of production — and he showed improvement in each one. In 2017, en route to earning a strong 75.7 overall grade (15th), Ryan had the fourth-best pass-rushing grade (85.6), 25th-best coverage grade (68.9) and 30th-best run-defense grade (72.9). That all-around ability and upside make him a low-risk option for a linebacker-needy team.

10. PRESTON BROWN
Rounding out the list is Brown, who joined the Bengals on a one-year deal before the 2018 season. Unfortunately for Brown, after playing 1000-plus snaps in four seasons with the Buffalo Bills, the injury bug finally hit as he missed nine games. A career-worst 55.8 overall grade in the shortened season means he’ll need to prove he still deserves meaningful playing time in 2019.

Should probably re-sign and most likely starting MLB in base, but I am not sure he would start in nickel.  Contract cost will determine if he can stay.

I would love to have Hicks, Mosley and Bucannon. I really wanted both Hicks and Mosley when they were drafted, and I hope we try for Bucanon.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - HuDey - 03-04-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-free-agent-linebackers-in-2019

1. JORDAN HICKS

2. C.J. MOSLEY

3. ANTHONY BARR

4. K.J. WRIGHT

5. KWON ALEXANDER

6. MYCHAL KENDRICKS

No thanks...

7. DENZEL PERRYMAN

8. DEONE BUCANNON

9. JAKE RYAN

10. PRESTON BROWN

Nice post.

It looks like the players who could be impact types are likely to re-up with thier current teams which leaves us with the Preston Brown types as our best case scenario. That doesn’t move the needle much for me but I guess nearly any warm body would be an improvement for us. In other news, I don’t think Devin White makes it to 11. God help us.

Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - BenZoo2 - 03-04-2019

(03-04-2019, 10:40 AM)HuDey Wrote: Nice post.

It looks like the players who could be impact types are likely to re-up with thier current teams which leaves us with the Preston Brown types as our best case scenario. That doesn’t move the needle much for me but I guess nearly any warm body would be an improvement for us. In other news, I don’t think Devin White makes it to 11. God help us.

I think white has a good shot at being there when we pick. I think 3 qbs go top 10. At least 4 dL/edge rushers go. That leaves 3 picks for the rest of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Au165 - 03-04-2019

Just reported Mosley won’t be tagged in Bal. Everything you read is we won’t change much on FA except to supplement draft but this may be an exception with as familiar as you’d think they’d be with Nosley. Even the local connections to Hicks could make them venture out. Will be interesting.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - lone bengal - 03-04-2019

I would prefer that the Bengals sign one of these guys and address OT at pick number 11 rather then over pay for a sallow free agent class tackle. If Price plays like a first round pick next year we would have two first round picks on the O-line under their rookie contracts and it will open things up for the offensive skill players. K.J. WRIGHT has been mentioned a lot but i feel at 30 years old he might be on the decline and , I would rather get younger at linebacker. I think Mosley and Hicks will likely get resigned or demand to much money on the open market. I like Barr and think their could be a chance the Vikings can't afford him with all the guys their paying and maybe that gives us a shot if the money isn't crazy. Like the poster mentioned the guy to me who makes the most sense to me is Kwon Alexander. He is only 24 years old and can probably be signed at a discount due to his injury.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Seaneh - 03-05-2019

I would love us to go and pick up Mosley.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - SHRacerX - 03-05-2019

(03-04-2019, 10:40 AM)HuDey Wrote: Nice post.

I am actually starting to change my mind and think the best way to improve this defense is with one of the incredible defensive tackles coming out in the draft.  Someone like Ed Oliver or Quinnen Williams and get a LB a bit later like Devin Bush (I think his height will push him to Rd 2) or one of a handful of strong LBs that could be there in Rd 2.  I think FA will have a lot to do with whatever direction we go, but I combination of Oliver and Bush or Mack Wilson would make the middle of the defense a strength overnight.  

I would much rather do that than go after a TE or questionable OT.  

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Synric - 03-05-2019

(03-04-2019, 08:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just reported Mosley won’t be tagged in Bal. Everything you read is we won’t change much on FA except to supplement draft but this may be an exception with as familiar as you’d think they’d be with Nosley. Even the local connections to Hicks could make them venture out. Will be interesting.

I read somewhere Hicks works out at Ignition so he could be in the Cincy area right now. 

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Au165 - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 12:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I read somewhere Hicks works out at Ignition so he could be in the Cincy area right now. 

Makes sense he is a Lakota West guy. I think he has enough "baggage" with his injuries that he could be had at a reasonable price. 

Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - BenZoo2 - 03-05-2019

Signing Mosley would be unreal. Address a major need. Open the first round. No praying white falls. Take a top ot. Or even hockenson, Oliver or even greedy. Weaken a division rival. Excite the fan base.

Yes please.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - SunsetBengal - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 01:24 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Signing Mosley would be unreal.  Address a major need.  Open the first round.  No praying white falls.  Take a top ot.  Or even hockenson, Oliver or even greedy.  Weaken a division rival.  Excite the fan base.

Yes please.

I wonder what type of deal it would take?  I'm guessing 5 years, $50-$55M?

Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - BenZoo2 - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 01:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder what type of deal it would take?  I'm guessing 5 years, $50-$55M?

Sounds about right. Cut burfict and that’s a nice chunk towards it.

Mosley doesn’t come with the injury concerns of Kwon Alexander or ot Darryl Williams. Resign a few of our own free agents and maybe a couple outside guys that are their usual type of signings and we d be quite happy with this being our big (and only?) outside signing

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 02:03 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Sounds about right.  Cut burfict and that’s a nice chunk towards it.  

Mosley doesn’t come with the injury concerns of Kwon Alexander or ot Darryl Williams.  Resign a few of our own free agents and maybe a couple outside guys that are their usual type of signings and we d be quite happy with this being our big (and only?) outside signing

Hell yes!  If they could snag him, cut Burfict, and get Brown on the cheap back, I think the LB corps would do alright.  I think Brown is a lot better than what he showed last year due to injury.....but I wouldn't spend a lot.

Brown/Vigil/Mosely would be better than what we saw last season for sure.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - McC - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 02:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell yes!  If they could snag him, cut Burfict, and get Brown on the cheap back, I think the LB corps would do alright.  I think Brown is a lot better than what he showed last year due to injury.....but I wouldn't spend a lot.

Brown/Vigil/Mosely would be better than what we saw last season for sure.

And then there's still the draft and the LB class had a helluva Combine showing.

RE: Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF) - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: And then there's still the draft and the LB class had a helluva Combine showing.

Absolutely, you could theoretically turn this unit from the biggest liability on the team to a strength overnight.