Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB (/Thread-I-m-thinking-we-should-add-another-Safety-then-use-Williams-at-LB)

Pages: 1 2

I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - THE PISTONS - 02-09-2019

A guy like Tyrann Mathieu that has really good coverage skills paired with Bates. I like Landon Collins, but his pricetag will be too high.

Then, play 3 Safeties in our base defense with Williams in the box. He seems to really thrive in that role.

Draft a guy like Devin White for our MLB. He's BIG and FAST. Then, try to sign a guy like Jordan Hicks. We'd have Vigil situationally too. And we could use Fej between Safety and LB to back those spots up.

Thoughts? I think with the way the NFL is changing that this is the route to go.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-09-2019

I suggested this just as the season ended, after watching the SD/BAL game.  It didn't get much traction....lol.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - SunsetBengal - 02-09-2019

I can remember when the Bears drafted a Safety, and converted him to LB. Some scoffed at the idea, thinking it was silly. The kid turned out to be pretty good. His name? Brian Urlacher.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - bengalfan74 - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can remember when the Bears drafted a Safety, and converted him to LB.  Some scoffed at the idea, thinking it was silly.  The kid turned out to be pretty good.  His name?  Brian Urlacher.

I remember watching I believe MNF several years ago and Urlacher had to do a fast deep drop on this play and he ended up intercepting a seam route to the TE. I was just in awe at the sped of his drop ! I remember thinking there's no way our LBers of that time could make that play.

We've got to get faster, more athletic LBers who can cover. 

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Synric - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A guy like Tyrann Mathieu that has really good coverage skills paired with Bates. I like Landon Collins, but his pricetag will be too high.

Then, play 3 Safeties in our base defense with Williams in the box. He seems to really thrive in that role.

Draft a guy like Devin White for our MLB. He's BIG and FAST. Then, try to sign a guy like Jordan Hicks. We'd have Vigil situationally too. And we could use Fej between Safety and LB to back those spots up.

Thoughts? I think with the way the NFL is changing that this is the route to go.

I disagree with this.

Shawn Williams is a good cover 2 safety and had a decent year as the overhang defender in cover 1, but he's not great a shedding and scrapping over the top he's alot better as a free runner going downhill.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Au165 - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 11:45 AM)Synric Wrote: I disagree with this.

Shawn Williams is a good cover 2 safety and had a decent year as the overhang defender in cover 1, but he's not great a shedding and scrapping over the top he's alot better as a free runner going downhill.

Exactly

Most safeties can’t get off second level blocks which is whybusing them in base defense is a bad idea. Everyone likes to talk about Deone Buchanan but that experiment busted out and the Cardinals were trying to trade him last season. Being good at pass defense is cool until you realize teams can just keep gashing you for five yards a run.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Joelist - 02-09-2019

I have a feeling that we are going to see a return to fundamental power football next season as teams imitate what the Pats did to the Chiefs and Rams. So keep that in mind when looking for lighter and faster coverage LBs; coverage ability is good so long as it does not result in a front seven that gets blown off the ball in a power game.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - impactplaya - 02-09-2019

Shawn is exactly where we need him. hes played safety all his football life. Urlacher got switched his ROOKIE YEAR.
Shawn is in year 5 I think.
Shawn made strides last year. better job at reading the QBS eyes. better tacking angles.better at being in position
to play the ball.
wanna upgrade the lb spots.?
draft a few sign some in FA. coach them up better.
but dont covert.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - fortyyearfan - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 10:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A guy like Tyrann Mathieu that has really good coverage skills paired with Bates. I like Landon Collins, but his pricetag will be too high.

great idea my brother.Williams is a super hitter and I pimped hard for him out of Georgia.I was glad when they got him.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - J24 - 02-09-2019

Playing him at LB on known passing situations is smart but not full time.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - whodey4life84 - 02-09-2019

I think we should wait till we found out who our DC will be to make sure the players will fit the system.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - bfine32 - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 03:11 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I think we should wait till we found out who our DC will be to make sure the players will fit the system.

Makes sense. What if our new DC runs a 3-4 base?

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - THE PISTONS - 02-09-2019

(02-09-2019, 03:11 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I think we should wait till we found out who our DC will be to make sure the players will fit the system.

Shouldn't we come up with a system before selecting a DC?

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Yojimbo - 02-10-2019

(02-09-2019, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can remember when the Bears drafted a Safety, and converted him to LB. Some scoffed at the idea, thinking it was silly. The kid turned out to be pretty good. His name? Brian Urlacher.

Urlacher = 6’4” 258lbs
Williams = 6’0” 212lbs

Besides size, Urlacher was a FREAK athlete, Williams is just an average NFL athlete. Also, already been mentioned Williams is not good at shedding blockers.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - SunsetBengal - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 12:30 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Urlacher = 6’4” 258lbs
Williams = 6’0” 212lbs

Besides size, Urlacher was a FREAK athlete, Williams is just an average NFL athlete. Also, already been mentioned Williams is not good at shedding blockers.

Urlacher was not 258, when he came into the league.  I believe he was around 220.  But anyway, I was just using him as example of how a guy that played Safety in college can transition to become a great LB in the pros.  In no way was I thinking that taking a 7 year veteran like Williams, and putting him at LB, would be a good idea.  That's my fault, I should have been more clear in my earlier post that I mean drafting a player with Safety experience that could also play LB and not get physically broken in the process.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Yojimbo - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 01:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Urlacher was not 258, when he came into the league.  I believe he was around 220.  But anyway, I was just using him as example of how a guy that played Safety in college can transition to become a great LB in the pros.  In no way was I thinking that taking a 7 year veteran like Williams, and putting him at LB, would be a good idea.  That's my fault, I should have been more clear in my earlier post that I mean drafting a player with Safety experience that could also play LB and not get physically broken in the process.

Believing and knowing are two different things. Google is a powerful research tool. College weight was over 230, combine weight 258. Still ran a 4.59.

Quote:Urlacher, however, had a different attitude about this test. He

had arrived at the combine a chiseled 6'3 3/4", 258 pounds,
nearly 20 pounds more than he weighed for his last college game.
He thought the extra muscle would impress the talent evaluators.
Instead, all he heard were questions about his speed, as if he
had suddenly become Gilbert Brown.

https://www.si.com/vault/2000/05/08/8118767/upwardly-mobile-unheralded-brian-urlacher-of-new-mexico-shot-up-in-size-and-on-the-draft-boardsand-now-hes-in-the-middle-of-the-bears-defensive-plans

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - SHRacerX - 02-11-2019

I would love this, but I am not sure I would also not be looking to draft Williams replacement.  I am not as big a fan of his in any role, and he won't suddenly be getting faster and better in coverage.  

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-11-2019

(02-10-2019, 12:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: https://www.si.com/vault/2000/05/08/8118767/upwardly-mobile-unheralded-brian-urlacher-of-new-mexico-shot-up-in-size-and-on-the-draft-boardsand-now-hes-in-the-middle-of-the-bears-defensive-plans

lol LOVE how they continually took shots at Gilbert Brown LOL

Yeah, he was a house.

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Au165 - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 10:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would love this, but I am not sure I would also not be looking to draft Williams replacement.  I am not as big a fan of his in any role, and he won't suddenly be getting faster and better in coverage.  

He was the 34th overall safety this year with an above average grade from PFF. Considering many teams play 3 safeties at some point there are more than 64 safeties in the ranking so you can assume he is an above average starter just from the rank not even the above average grade.

The hate for the guy is really uncalled for, not necessary you but others here. I remember when everyone wanted Fej to replace him after one big play in Indy...only for Williams to have multiple big plays down the stretch. He is fine, and we have much bigger needs to fill. 

RE: I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB - Yojimbo - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 01:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol LOVE how they continually took shots at Gilbert Brown LOL

Yeah, he was a house.

One of the best sack celebrations of all time.