Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Improving at LB - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Improving at LB (/Thread-Improving-at-LB)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Improving at LB - THE PISTONS - 02-10-2019

We know we were bad at LB. We were terrible in coverage.

My plan for improving would be to waive Burfict. I'd let Rey leave in free agency.

I'd sign Jordan Hicks and LJ Fort.

Hicks is ranked PFF's #17 free agent. Here's the write-up:
Hicks looked on his way to becoming one of the league’s elite linebackers early in his career before injuries took their toll. He earned 84.6 and 91.1 coverage grades in 2015 and 2016, respectively. Hicks has only managed 1,043 snaps since though with injuries, but the talent is still there. You're probably talking $6-7 million a year for Hicks.

LJ Fort has been a backup for the Steelers, but when he gets on the field he makes plays. He's fast and is all over the field. His PFF grade was 74.2 which ranked as the #19 LB. I feel like we could add him for $3 million a year or so.

Vigil would be my 3rd LB.

Backups would be Jefferson, Jordan Evans, then I'd add another one either in the draft or free agency.

I'd waive Nickerson too...unless he was just used for special teams. He should not be seeing snaps at LB.

RE: Improving at LB - fredtoast - 02-10-2019

Don't know the specifics of who exactly is available, but LBs for a 4-3 are one of the cheaper positions to fill in free agency. So I think LB will be a priority in free agency. We'll use the draft for more expensive positions.

RE: Improving at LB - John Shaft - 02-10-2019

Get rid of Burfict and keep Vigil as 3rd LBer ?
Burfict would get signed immediately by a load of teams. What good team would make the (helpless in space) Vigil their 3rd LB ?

RE: Improving at LB - Synric - 02-10-2019

I would rather have Preston Brown back at that 4m over LJ Fort.

RE: Improving at LB - Essex Johnson - 02-10-2019

Brown has been a solid lb in league, I think we just forget 5hat when a player gets hurt, he has rarely been hurt so I see no reason in letting him go and make us weaker at LB

RE: Improving at LB - BengalsRocker - 02-10-2019

Keep Brown and cut Burfict.

Yeah another team might sign him but his concussions and targeting from refs are gonna be his end.

RE: Improving at LB - Sled21 - 02-11-2019

Definitely need to keep Brown. It's not his fault he had to play injured all last year. And I'm not for cutting Burfict. He actually gets to come to training camp this year.

RE: Improving at LB - THE PISTONS - 02-11-2019

There's too much risk with Burfict. He's either injured or suspended. You can't build a defense around a guy that misses that many games.

And his play fell off vastly last year.

Plus, the best part of his play has been negated by the league rule changes.

RE: Improving at LB - psychdoctor - 02-11-2019

What about Cory Littelton the backer from the Rams?

RE: Improving at LB - Luvnit2 - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 10:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's too much risk with Burfict. He's either injured or suspended. You can't build a defense around a guy that misses that many games.

And his play fell off vastly last year.

Plus, the best part of his play has been negated by the league rule changes.

I do agree Burfict is not only a huge injury risk, he looks slow and out of shape. My beef is you suggesting replacing Burfict with Hicks who has not been healthy since 2016. That to me is just as risky as us bringing back Burfict or a guy like Eifert. Hicks would need to sign a team friendly contract in my opinion, so low level cap hit.

RE: Improving at LB - SHRacerX - 02-11-2019

(02-10-2019, 09:53 PM)John Shaft Wrote: Get rid of Burfict and keep Vigil as 3rd LBer ?
Burfict would get signed immediately by a load of teams. What good team would make the (helpless in space) Vigil their 3rd LB ?

I would hardly call Vigil "helpless in space" as he was the leading tackler before going down with injury.  He will be a part of the LB corps moving forward.  As far as Burfict goes, I don't think you release him and let someone else get a motivated Burfict.  You just keep him but don't plan on him making the impact.  If he shows up in great shape with his head on straight, awesome.  Since that has about a 1% chance of happening, you need to make some moves in FA to shore up that squad.  

Ideally, they get two impact FA LBs and Burfict realizes that he won't be playing unless he picks things up.  My hope is re-sign Preston Brown and one other LB that can be a solid player in nickel with Vigil.  With Evans providing some depth and special teams, they could also look to draft a LB but it wouldn't have to be their first overall pick.  

(02-11-2019, 10:13 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: What about Cory Littelton the backer from the Rams?

Yes - But he's Restricted. I'd say that makes odds low it happens.

(02-11-2019, 10:31 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I do agree Burfict is not only a huge injury risk, he looks slow and out of shape. My beef is you suggesting replacing Burfict with Hicks who has not been healthy since 2016. That to me is just as risky as us bringing back Burfict or a guy like Eifert. Hicks would need to sign a team friendly contract in my opinion, so low level cap hit.

I definitely can see that. I think his price would be lower because of that.

When healthy, Hicks is great in coverage.

Plan B would be to keep Preston Brown and sign Fort. I think Hicks coverage game makes him better than Brown though.

(02-11-2019, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would hardly call Vigil "helpless in space" as he was the leading tackler before going down with injury.  He will be a part of the LB corps moving forward.  As far as Burfict goes, I don't think you release him and let someone else get a motivated Burfict.  You just keep him but don't plan on him making the impact.  If he shows up in great shape with his head on straight, awesome.  Since that has about a 1% chance of happening, you need to make some moves in FA to shore up that squad.  

Ideally, they get two impact FA LBs and Burfict realizes that he won't be playing unless he picks things up.  My hope is re-sign Preston Brown and one other LB that can be a solid player in nickel with Vigil.  With Evans providing some depth and special teams, they could also look to draft a LB but it wouldn't have to be their first overall pick.  

I think Burfict's contract may make keeping him prohibitive depending on what other moves the team makes atleast.

You'd have to think that Jefferson will learn to diagnose plays between Year 1 and 2 also...so maybe he can contribute too?

Vigil as a #3 would be ok. Vigil was essentially our best LB this past year which is a role he's mis-cast at.

Interestingly, his brother is a free agent I believe. I wouldn't put the Bengals signing him out of the realm of possibilities. Although, he's done basically very little in the Pros.

RE: Improving at LB - SHRacerX - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Burfict's contract may make keeping him prohibitive depending on what other moves the team makes atleast.

You'd have to think that Jefferson will learn to diagnose plays between Year 1 and 2 also...so maybe he can contribute too?

Vigil as a #3 would be ok. Vigil was essentially our best LB this past year which is a role he's mis-cast at.

Interestingly, his brother is a free agent I believe. I wouldn't put the Bengals signing him out of the realm of possibilities. Although, he's done basically very little in the Pros.

I hoped the same thing for Evans and he simply looks like an athlete with no instincts, which is a lot of what I read about Jefferson before the draft...and we passed on Orlando Brown to draft him...Groan.

(02-11-2019, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hoped the same thing for Evans and he simply looks like an athlete with no instincts, which is a lot of what I read about Jefferson before the draft...and we passed on Orlando Brown to draft him...Groan.

Honestly, it seems we draft a lot of athletes with little football skills.

How many guys do we draft that break school bench press records? Or have blazing fast 40 times?

I think a decent but of this is having a lack of scouts so we go for numbers that are quantifiable. Scouts take a more qualitative assessment.

RE: Improving at LB - XenoMorph - 02-11-2019

(02-10-2019, 07:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We know we were bad at LB. We were terrible in coverage.

My plan for improving would be to waive Burfict. I'd let Rey leave in free agency.

I'd sign Jordan Hicks and LJ Fort.

Hicks is ranked PFF's #17 free agent. Here's the write-up:
Hicks looked on his way to becoming one of the league’s elite linebackers early in his career before injuries took their toll. He earned 84.6 and 91.1 coverage grades in 2015 and 2016, respectively. Hicks has only managed 1,043 snaps since though with injuries, but the talent is still there. You're probably talking $6-7 million a year for Hicks.

LJ Fort has been a backup for the Steelers, but when he gets on the field he makes plays. He's fast and is all over the field. His PFF grade was 74.2 which ranked as the #19 LB. I feel like we could add him for $3 million a year or so.

Vigil would be my 3rd LB.

Backups would be Jefferson, Jordan Evans, then I'd add another one either in the draft or free agency.

I'd waive Nickerson too...unless he was just used for special teams. He should not be seeing snaps at LB.

Jefferson might be ready to go this year.

RE: Improving at LB - Sled21 - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would hardly call Vigil "helpless in space" as he was the leading tackler before going down with injury.  He will be a part of the LB corps moving forward.  As far as Burfict goes, I don't think you release him and let someone else get a motivated Burfict.  You just keep him but don't plan on him making the impact.  If he shows up in great shape with his head on straight, awesome.  Since that has about a 1% chance of happening, you need to make some moves in FA to shore up that squad.  

I think without the Marvin protective blanket over him, he may go back to playing the way he played under Zimmer. Time will tell....

RE: Improving at LB - Au165 - 02-11-2019

(02-10-2019, 10:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I would rather have Preston Brown back at that 4m over LJ Fort.

This

RE: Improving at LB - impactplaya - 02-11-2019

Our division is loaded with talented TEs who make our LBers look silly.
Hurst Andrews James McDonald and especially Njoku.
we needs backers that can stay on the hip of a TE not watch the back. of their helmets