Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Cody ford - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Cody ford (/Thread-Cody-ford--19373)

Pages: 1 2

Cody ford - Jpoore - 02-28-2019

I made a mock a couple.months ago and got killed. Oh Ford wont be there anywhere close to rd2. Well even though it is irrelevant to us, I believe his 19 bench press reps will push him down to 42. Where we can scoop him up. If that happens I would love it.

RE: Cody ford - Au165 - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 06:11 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I made a mock a couple.months ago and got killed. Oh Ford wont be there anywhere close to rd2. Well even though it is irrelevant to us, I believe his 19 bench press reps will push him down to 42. Where we can scoop him up. If that happens I would love it.

Taylor Decker did 20 and went 16th overall to the Lions.

RE: Cody ford - Synric - 02-28-2019

I noticed alot of the tackles bench numbers were lower this year. I have to wonder if trainers put more of an emphasis on movement skills.

(02-28-2019, 06:43 PM)Synric Wrote: I noticed alot of the tackles bench numbers were lower this year. I have to wonder if trainers put more of an emphasis on movement skills.

For linemen I want to see more explosive hips and lower body power. Show me vertical and broad jump numbers that’s where is tend to draw concern.

RE: Cody ford - BobJones4980 - 02-28-2019

Most ranking sites ive seen have him in that late first early second range already but some people seem to love him here.

I don't know if this will effect that much since the combine only seems to matter if you do REALLY bad or REALLY good. Doesn't seem to matter for most.

RE: Cody ford - SunsetBengal - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 06:11 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I made a mock a couple.months ago and got killed. Oh Ford wont be there anywhere close to rd2. Well even though it is irrelevant to us, I believe his 19 bench press reps will push him down to 42. Where we can scoop him up. If that happens I would love it.

Meh, not impressed or discouraged by bench press reps numbers.  Heck, we had Russell Bodine, who put up reps better than most NTs, and he still couldn't block one to save his life..

As someone else already mentioned, for OL, it's all about lower body power and explosion.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1101250740662743040?s=21

Looks like he may have strained his shoulder on rep 15.

RE: Cody ford - Yojimbo - 02-28-2019

Just last year Orlando Brown only did 14. How did his rookie season go? Pretty good.

Cody ford - BenZoo2 - 02-28-2019

I thought you had us taking devin bush in your “perfect” mock draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every year it seems that some dudes get a meteoric rise, while some others get a serious drop in credential, because of the combine. Then, once all the "wow" factor from the underwear Olympics passes, people go back to looking at game film of the players, and things tend to level back out.

I've been high on Cody Ford for a while, and he was dominating on the field. I'm not going to let a mishap, during an exhibition, taint my view of him as a player. Chances are, he took plenty of rest after the bowl game, as he should have, while others have been practicing for this for 4 months.

(02-28-2019, 09:00 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I thought you had us taking devin bush in your “perfect” mock draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you make enough claims your going to be right eventually.

RE: Cody ford - Jojo the Circus Boy - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, not impressed or discouraged by bench press reps numbers.  Heck, we had Russell Bodine, who put up reps better than most NTs, and he still couldn't block one to save his life..

As someone else already mentioned, for OL, it's all about lower body power and explosion.

Agree 100%. If anything, they should do the top 1/4 rep of the bench to show their lockout strength. If a tackle has a DE in his chest, he's already lost the battle. I also wish they had a standard way to test core strength. That is such a valuable part of functional strength (and one Bodine lacked)

(02-28-2019, 11:22 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: Agree 100%. If anything, they should do the top 1/4 rep of the bench to show their lockout strength. If a tackle has a DE in his chest, he's already lost the battle. I also wish they had a standard way to test core strength. That is such a valuable part of functional strength (and one Bodine lacked)

There are lifts that have been around forever, that do just that.  The power clean, the hang clean, the front squat, the overhead squat.  If I were to pick a pair, to measure functional strength of an OL candidate, I would go with power clean and front squat.

RE: Cody ford - Okeana - 03-01-2019

(02-28-2019, 11:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are lifts that have been around forever, that do just that.  The power clean, the hang clean, the front squat, the overhead squat.  If I were to pick a pair, to measure functional strength of an OL candidate, I would go with power clean and front squat.

You wanna know if a Cody Ford is strong?  Watch him pancake fools on tape.  Do I think he's Tyron Smith strong?  nope that's why i have no offensive lineman ranked in the top 20 of this years draft compared to other top classes, but they will rise because of need.

RE: Cody ford - Au165 - 03-01-2019

(02-28-2019, 11:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are lifts that have been around forever, that do just that.  The power clean, the hang clean, the front squat, the overhead squat.  If I were to pick a pair, to measure functional strength of an OL candidate, I would go with power clean and front squat.

Honestly I’d use a ground base jammer and watch their technique. The firing motion used on it is probably the closest functional motion of firing off the ball. I’ve always wished they used specialized lifts and testing based on each position.

RE: Cody ford - sandwedge - 03-01-2019

(02-28-2019, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every year it seems that some dudes get a meteoric rise, while some others get a serious drop in credential, because of the combine.  Then, once all the "wow" factor from the underwear Olympics passes, people go back to looking at game film of the players, and things tend to level back out.

I've been high on Cody Ford for a while, and he was dominating on the field.  I'm not going to let a mishap, during an exhibition, taint my view of him as a player.  Chances are, he took plenty of rest after the bowl game, as he should have, while others have been practicing for this for 4 months.

Agree, seriously these guys are strong as an ox. Anyone getting excited over an archaic event like the bench, should realize these guy need to show lower body strength, while being able to move thru traffic.

RE: Cody ford - JungleRock85 - 03-01-2019

Going to start seeing more and more of Cody Ford mocked at pick #11. He had size to play tackle instead of guard which moves him up some. He already had good tape. Plus Turner just talked this week about how he looks for size in his O-Line. With Taylor moving up the board I would put the favorite to be picked as Cody Ford with Devin White currently still close behind. However, I think this might be the year they add some top FA Linebackers after listening to Tobin talk as well.

RE: Cody ford - Hammerstripes - 03-01-2019

Bench has nearly no effect on the draft spot for a tackle.

Now, IF Ford comes out and runs a 5.9 forty and does terrible in the agility drills, you would see him slide that far.  There's no way in the world that he slides that far because of 19 reps - especially when he said he started to feel some tightness during the test.

RE: Cody ford - SunsetBengal - 03-01-2019

(03-01-2019, 12:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Agree, seriously these guys are strong as an ox. Anyone getting excited over an archaic event like the bench, should realize these guy need to show lower body strength, while being able to move thru traffic.

Move through traffic?  Aren't they supposed to clear the traffic?

RE: Cody ford - sandwedge - 03-01-2019

(03-01-2019, 06:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Move through traffic?  Aren't they supposed to clear the traffic?

And that's why I'm not a scout or why I was a LB in my day or century..... Wink