Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? (/Thread-Hockenson-best-TE-Ive-ever-scouted)

Pages: 1 2

Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Okeana - 02-28-2019

So this is really just an open discussion on tight ends which may be the best class of tight ends I've ever scouted and boy o boy is Hockenson a stud.  Seriously if there was ever a time to draft a tight end at 11 it would be this dude the guy pops on tape.  I will link some scout videos for you guys to watch and let's have an open discussion on why or why not should we draft him.  I challenge you not to simply say "He's not a LB or Lineman" watch the tapes and think would you take a guy who may be a generational talent at a position because to me this guy screams Kelce or that other guy( I won't say his name ).  

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - BobJones4980 - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 09:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: So this is really just an open discussion on tight ends which may be the best class of tight ends I've ever scouted and boy o boy is Hockenson a stud.  Seriously if there was ever a time to draft a tight end at 11 it would be this dude the guy pops on tape.  I will link some scout videos for you guys to watch and let's have an open discussion on why or why not should we draft him.  I challenge you not to simply say "He's not a LB or Lineman" watch the tapes and think would you take a guy who may be a generational talent at a position because to me this guy screams Kelce or that other guy( I won't say his name ).  

I have actually come around to taking him at 11.

Our offense under Marvin was always better with a stud TE and a 3rd WR with speed.

We need to spend some money and improve the Oline in FA and at some point in the draft but I think TE and finding a deep threat WR to be our #3, whether that is Ross stepping up or someone else coming in, is a major factor in improving on offense.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Okeana - 02-28-2019

Another player he reminds me a lot of is Heath Miller maybe its just the uniform, but the way he picks the ball out of the air highlights his great hands. Hockenson may be more athletic tho because he has rare burst after the catch and separating speed. What's really scary is that he looks super polished and he hasn't even hit is ceiling; if you want to be really impressed just watch his blocking... Technique wise he may be better than most lineman in this draft.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Synric - 02-28-2019

I've been pushing for a TJ Hockenson pick since December at first it was at 42 then at 11...now I think someone will take him top 10.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-28-2019

Yeah man, dudes a freak like Kelce and the guy you won't speak of Okeana. Hope we go all out in FA to really free up this first round pick so we can take a guy like Hock. Our Offense was just so much better when Eifert was healthy who could run great routes and go up for the ball well. Hock is a lot like him just more freakish in his jumping abilities.

(02-28-2019, 10:07 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I have actually come around to taking him at 11.

Our offense under Marvin was always better with a stud TE and a 3rd WR with speed.

We need to spend some money and improve the Oline in FA and at some point in the draft but I think TE and finding a deep threat WR to be our #3, whether that is Ross stepping up or someone else coming in, is a major factor in improving on offense.

Yeah, I think the Eifert days are done considered he has 2 out of 6 years of being healthy.  Personally, this is a pretty decent FA class for Linebackers and possibly a right tackle.  Imagine Trent Brown, Ju'wuan James,  or Daryl Williams?  

Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Storer50 - 02-28-2019

Round 1 take the best overall player on the board. Hockemson may very well be that guy.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

(02-28-2019, 10:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah man, dudes a freak like Kelce and the guy you won't speak of Okeana. Hope we go all out in FA to really free up this first round pick so we can take a guy like Hock. Our Offense was just so much better when Eifert was healthy who could run great routes and go up for the ball well. Hock is a lot like him just more freakish in his jumping abilities.

Hock's blocking is league's above Eifert tho and if the plan is to utilize Mixon to the max you need blocking tight ends. Isaac Nauta is my 4th round sleeper blocking TE with great hands who didn't show the stats in college because he was used primarily as a blocker at Georgia.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 10:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Hock's blocking is league's above Eifert tho and if the plan is to utilize Mixon to the max you need blocking tight ends. Isaac Nauta is my 4th round sleeper blocking TE with great hands who didn't show the stats in college because he was used primarily as a blocker at Georgia.

True about Hock's blocking, dude is more than solid there as well. This is just a very deep draft for TE's which i am sure will be some people's argument against taking Hock at 11. There are tons of good ones, it is just like you are saying Hockenson is like a generational talent.

I like Fant too on that same team but he is not the blocker that Hock is.

(02-28-2019, 10:12 PM)Synric Wrote: I've been pushing for a TJ Hockenson pick since December at first it was at 42 then at 11...now I think someone will take him top 10.

yeah me it's all about the process and I'm really cooling on Devin White who I now view as a boom or bust pick.  I also think that rounds 2-4 are deep with offensive line talent that isn't gonna be far off a round 1 guy.  I feel like if this was another class most of these guys would be a late round 1 or 2nd guy guys who being pushed up boards because of its a position of need. This is why you see such huge variance between talent evaluators on top tier offensive line guys.

(02-28-2019, 10:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True about Hock's blocking, dude is more than solid there as well. This is just a very deep draft for TE's which i am sure will be some people's argument against taking Hock at 11. There are tons of good ones, it is just like you are saying Hockenson is like a generational talent.

I like Fant too on that same team but he is not the blocker that Hock is.

Yeah for me that's what makes him stand out.  This is an extremely talented TE class and he's such a polished player that he just pops out on tape.  You draft guys regardless of position if they make good guys look average in comparison and let's not forget TE is a huge need for us.

(02-28-2019, 10:29 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yeah for me that's what makes him stand out.  This is an extremely talented TE class and he's such a polished player that he just pops out on tape.  You draft guys regardless of position if they make good guys look average in comparison and let's not forget TE is a huge need for us.

It is, TE is our 3rd biggest need besides LB and O-line no question.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Jpoore - 02-28-2019

He's not te1. Fant is.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - SunsetBengal - 02-28-2019

I must admit that at first, I was slow to warm up to the idea of taking another TE in the 1st round. However, after watching Hockenson display his naturally aggressive love for blocking, I'm fast becoming a fan. As we all know, until recently all of the big stats and publicity was going to Fant, who is one heck of an athlete. But, I have a feeling that an aggressive blocker like Hock, combined with his soft hands, would fit perfectly into what Taylor wants to mold the Bengals offense into.

If the Bengals make the right moves in Free Agency, in order to free up the draft, I could be completely on board with Hockenson.

(02-28-2019, 10:42 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He's not te1. Fant is.

lol what's he better at?  its hard taking a guy seriously who mocks a 2-3 round guard 11th overall, but i'm willing to discuss it.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Jojo the Circus Boy - 02-28-2019

I do like what Hockenson brings to the team. I love that he is a willing and capable blocker.  But, I really want the team to secure a quality FA in either the OL or LB (preferably both) before we pick TE at 11. I do admit I would love our play action with him at TE though!

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Synric - 02-28-2019

Noah Fant was listed as the top TE before TJ Hockenson declared which was a surprise because Hockenson is a redshirt sophomore. Since then the Mackey Award winner has been the number 1 TE on many peoples boards...as a matter of fact Daniel Jeremiah has Hockenson as #5 on his top 50 list.

(02-28-2019, 11:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Noah Fant was listed as the top TE before TJ Hockenson declared which was a surprise because Hockenson is a redshirt sophomore. Since then the Mackey Award winner has been the number 1 TE on many peoples boards...as a matter of fact Daniel Jeremiah has Hockenson as #5 on his top 50 list.

yeah imo scheme-wise and talent wise it's really not close for our team.  Fant is much more a vertical deep passing TE and hock is a blocking TE with great RAC.  

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - ben_lewtas9 - 03-01-2019

Fant does everything sorta just... fine. His routes can be sloppy and he isn't a RAC threat.

Hock is a game changer. I'd be happy with him at 11.

RE: Hockenson best TE Ive ever scouted?!? - Catmandude123 - 03-01-2019

(02-28-2019, 10:17 PM)Storer50 Wrote: Round 1 take the best overall player on the board. Hockemson may very well be that guy.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

Signing FAs early will better serve the Bengals rather than drafting and then filling holes after the draft with second or third tier FAs. If they are seriously trying to win now this is their only path. If they don't take a top tier LB and/or OL they are still going to do the same thing that have gotten the Brown family rich but have failed to produce a winner .